• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

tuxfool

Banned
Post history indicates that it's definitely possible.

Then again, the last few times I tried the main branch were disappointing.. I gave up a few months back and I'm waiting for a network revamp or whatever.

Of course. I'll not pretend it is wonderful, my comment on the last page is still very much true.

But I've seen no more desync or crashing issues in this patch than any others, either way it always goes like this in lettered patches.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/338809/official-feedback-thread-2-5-0-on-ptu/p4

Just click on the forums and read people complaining about performance getting worse. 2.5g was recently released, 2.5d seemed to have been pretty consistent with previous versions but constantly crashed. Patch notes for 2.5g mentioned that they were aware of constant crashes too.

Completely irrelevant. Performance can only be compared in closed conditions. Clearly you've never tested anything on PTU, this always happens.

~Cross~

I mean the patch notes are right there

Hi aHi all,

We've pushed out 2.5.0g - 387567 to PTU tonight!

Important Callouts:

* We are aware that this build introduces a high-frequency server crash to Crusader that we are already investigating, and appreciate everyones patience while it is resolved.
* We put in some fixes to help fix the desync issues in both Crusader and Arena Commander.
** Please be aware that the desync issue might still be present.
* We are aware of the issues with the port mod options disappearing intermittently.

People on that same thread were complaining of the previous patch getting them 5fps. But noooooo my anecdotal experience says this is wroooong. He must be a troooooll

tuxfool

Banned
I mean the patch notes are right there

Hi aHi all,

We've pushed out 2.5.0g - 387567 to PTU tonight!

Important Callouts:

* We are aware that this build introduces a high-frequency server crash to Crusader that we are already investigating, and appreciate everyones patience while it is resolved.
* We put in some fixes to help fix the desync issues in both Crusader and Arena Commander.
** Please be aware that the desync issue might still be present.
* We are aware of the issues with the port mod options disappearing intermittently.

People on that same thread were complaining of the previous patch getting them 5fps. But noooooo my anecdotal experience says this is wroooong. He must be a troooooll

Sorry but this isn't any different from most PTU iterations. Have you ever read PTU patch notes before?

Apparently the latest 2.5 versions are a horrible mess of desync issues and the patch that just went live trying to fix these issues is known to cause "frequent server crashes". Enjoy!

Huh? link?

I've watched several streams AND I've been in 2.5. More than anything it's a stability, lighting, one new area patch.

edit: thanks for posting the info. Seriously I didn't encounter any of that. Guess I'll patch mine now though.

^^^^
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/339195/official-feedback-thread-2-5-0g-387567

Here you go. You can check the rest of the forums to see peoples experiences with the stability/performance of 2.5 in general.

"You must be hearing these things from other "sources" right."

*Provides Link to Patch notes*

"Well its always like this have you actually played on the ptu!?"

Didn't mean to discount your post. I seriously didn't encounter that...but I hadn't installed the patch yet. Downloading now.

tuxfool

Banned
^^^^
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/339195/official-feedback-thread-2-5-0g-387567

Here you go. You can check the rest of the forums to see peoples experiences with the stability/performance of 2.5 in general.

"You must be hearing these things from other "sources" right."

*Provides Link to Patch notes*

"Well its always like this have you actually played on the ptu!?"

The point being that none of this is widespread. Because it is in the patch notes doesn't mean it is experienced by everybody. I've yet to see anybody mention the issues specifically related to the patch notes. I know exactly what the intent was behind your original statement.

jaaz

I played this afternoon, I think it was the f patch. There were definitely performance issues and it wasn't my PC. I am running a 6700k, 980Ti, with 32g ram, and run 2.4.1 at close to 60 FPS. As Zalusithix said, it's likely server-side. Going to download g and close the launcher as someone suggested, and see it it's improved.

tuxfool

Banned
I played this afternoon, I think it was the f patch. There were definitely performance issues and it wasn't my PC. I am running a 6700k, 980Ti, with 32g ram, and run 2.4.1 at close to 60 FPS. As Zalusithix said, it's likely server-side. Going to download g and close the launcher as someone suggested, and see it it's improved.
If you did run 2.4 PU at 60 then you were extremely lucky. The only real variable that fps is predicated on is server load. As the servers are much more busy now then of course performance tanks.

Don't expect improvements until 2.7 at the earliest.

Zabojnik

Is there a way to play 2.5 (or even 2.4) offline? I remember people found a way to do it in the early days, around the time when 2.0 launched. Unless I'm imagining things. Which is entirely possible at this hour.

If you did run 2.4 PU at 60 then you were extremely lucky. The only real variable that fps is predicated on is server load. As the servers are much more busy now then of course performance tanks.

Don't expect improvements until 2.7 at the earliest.

Maybe my being in Los Angeles has something to do with it, but I've been very content with my performance in both 2.4 and 2.5.

The point being that none of this is widespread. Because it is in the patch notes doesn't mean it is experienced by everybody. I've yet to see anybody mention the issues specifically related to the patch notes. I know exactly what the intent was behind your original statement.

But whatever do you mean tux? This is the guy that tells us the truth by dropping truth bombs on our heads!

The whole "You dont understand games development" argument is even dumber. Maybe someone should have explained to Chris Roberts what games development is about now days so that he wouldn't have pegged the release date at 2014.

Kinda, granted he is talking about the kickstarter and the original 500k goal but he has point. CR should know the scope of the game, it isn't like he mentioned increasing scope of the game in the kickstarter if funds.... oh wait.....

Well at least we get truth bombs like

They got the guy that literally wrote the book on working with cryengine. Engine development isn't something that takes a lot of staff, its usually 2 or 3 really talented engineers. Realistically, they could have gotten it done with less man hours invested than trying to unfuck cryengine, since to this day that hasn't been fully accomplished. You could say that they needed the tools right then and there to start working on content, but again, what content produced during that time is still being used today?

Star Citizen cant be a hack job for it to work. The foundation had to laid out and be extremely solid for it to work as advertised. Everything I've seen so far is that the foundation for the game is jello and they keep piling in steel beams like some extreme jenga. One wrong move and your character extends his arms like he's jesus on the cross and fly's away from your ships cockpit while naked and shooting air from its nipples.

Also that bengal everyone is hyped about? It exemplifies the CIG attitude of development. Lets put 7 people to work in it, a massive ship that by their own admission cant even fit into memory yet, that even if you could fit into memory without having the galaxy burst at its seams, cant be manned fully because there is no way you can fit that many people into an instance. That even if you could fit that many people into its instance has no where to actually be in because they've yet to implement a full system let alone the hundred they promised. That even if it had a system to be at, the instancing tech in the game would be a massive show stopper for anyone trying to defend/assault it properly.

From the ground up, designed and produced incorrectly. The epitome of putting your cart before the horse.

errrr, maybe not two or three people....

OK so I read up more on the issue, anywhere from 10-20 people over a span of a year or two, of which like 3 of them are seniors, and the engine is being tailored to the game you are making. Thats 2-3m dollars to get it done.

SE got the frame work for Luminous and the entirety of FFXIVs 2.0 engine done in like a year. They migrated everything from 1.0 while completely redoing how the game handled calls for both the renderer and networking since both were a mess initially.

CIG spent at least 3.8m dollars in Illfonics contract and that was mostly a waste. They could have gotten a proper engine done in that time instead of having to deal with cryengine.

more truth bombs

Understanding the scope of the game and what they've accomplished so far is why people argue that SC is a lie.

While the game exists as mostly words and no actual concrete thing that you can jump into, people will continue to fantasize about their ideal game. Which is exactly what happened with NMS. Now picture a game thats a hundred times more ambitious with 30 times the staff.

SC isnt going to be done in a year, its not going to be done in two. Its flight mechanics are constantly being redone, ships are constantly being redone, models are constantly being redone and general mechanics are extremely sparse right now. Give it at least another year before you put any money in it. If Elite and NMS have shallow gameplay loops, SC right now doesn't have any.

In response to only 8 people working on title during kickstarter.....

If you only count a games progress when full production starts then no one would be making fun of FFXV and people would say that fallout 4 was made in a year and a half.

Ive honestly seen some people say that SC started production like a year and half ago and then immediately say that Elite Dangerous started production like 15 years ago because thats how long the engine has been in iterated on or something equally stupid.

The salvaging, farming and mining systems planned for this game are the definition of over engineered. Like initially if you have said "Oh we have salvaging, farming and mining in the game" it would have been fine. Rudimentary systems for these things aren't really that far off, you can see them in tons of games. Shoot rocks like in elite or eve, grab the loot boxes that people drop when they blow up, add a basic seed system to farm things like in LOTRO or Black Desert.

Of course everything they came up with when selling the ships in their concept sale was taken up to 11. It was very much scope creep.

Pushing SQ42 ep1 to anywhere near 2018 means that the entire project is essentially dead. Taking that long to release a thing most people have already bought into, that wont really generate a whole lot of new revenues is a death sentence.

Its expensive to make games. Frontier, which is miles better managed than CIG, burns through 30 million dollars a year in operating costs associated with ~270 jobs in just one location. CIG has to be burning more than that a year given that: 1) Multiple studios increase administrative overhead 2) relocating studios/personnel cost money 3)Bringing in actors to the UK to mocap cost money, etc

Even if you assume that they are just spending 30m a year, that means that they would have to burn 90 million dollars of operating time to get SQ42 at the door (plus whatever meager gains the PU gets during the time). Its not sustainable.

SQ42 EP1 needs to be out at the latest in early 2017. They need to start working immediately on EP2 and hopefully whatever kinks they've had in the production chain are worked out so they can pump it out by the end of 2017. They need fresh revenue from a source outside of concept sales, that well is starting to dry out.

Guys chris is working really hard in the UK to get this game out as soon as possible, he cant go to E3 for a conference he promised to be at. Its not like hes in italy right now having a vacation or anything...

This poster may not be the savior we were asking for, but obviously the one we all need!

Honestly you should listen to him and the other posters who have graced this thread who have had nothing but pure logic bomb information to tell us that this lie of a game is horribly managed, is never gonna come out, most likely gonna run out of money, with crashing alpha's for a game which entire engine could have been custom made for $3 million and the only people that find this acceptable is grey market high maintenance snowflakes who eventually will be converted to the truth.

Edit: I was tempted to do one about RubberJohnny but his posts in the Somethingawful section aptly named "Derek Smart's House of Star Citizen Obsessive Insanity" (yep he uses same SN too) and the other posters there would do much better if you unwashed masses wade into their water so you can be baptized in the truth.

jaaz

Okay, just tried patch g. Definitely better FPS than patch f and the server was full. No de-sync issues that I saw. As Tux says, at this point server load is the definite factor in how much FPS you will get, assuming you have a beefy rig.

Was able to explore Grime Hex some before I got a disconnect. What an amazing place. Entered a cargo hold where it was zero G and managed to find the breach. Looked like the hole I made on my first attempts at landing. :0

A couple of screenshots (2k):

ftbM2Q6.jpg

F68cDop.jpg

Jinroh

I also got invited in the PU and the framerate in ArcCorp is so much better.

In the base game my framerate is between 35-40 fps with a GTX 1080. In the PU it's between 65-75, it makes a real difference.

Is it because there aren't many people on the server or will it stay like this in the official release?

RK9039

Okay, just tried patch g. Definitely better FPS than patch f and the server was full. No de-sync issues that I saw. As Tux says, at this point server load is the definite factor in how much FPS you will get, assuming you have a beefy rig.

Was able to explore Grime Hex some before I got a disconnect. What an amazing place. Entered a cargo hold where it was zero G and managed to find the breach. Looked like the hole I made on my first attempts at landing. :0

A couple of screenshots (2k):

http://i.imgur.com/ftbM2Q6.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/F68cDop.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh shit, very nice.

I think I'll re-install this towards the end of the year or whenever they have that big update.

heringer

What is available in 2.4? Is the content available comparable to Elite Dangerous vanilla? Also, how is the flight model, more or less complex than in Elite?

tuxfool

Banned
What is available in 2.4? Is the content available comparable to Elite Dangerous vanilla? Also, how is the flight model, more or less complex than in Elite?

It should be noted that this is alpha. In straight content is isn't comparable to E:D.

I'd argue that the flight model is inherently more complex than E:D purely due to its (more) newtonian model. Some people don't like it, preferring the airplanes
submarines *cough*
in space model of Elite.

Geist-

Gamescom Details

Gamescom 2016 is almost here, and Star Citizen’s presence will be bigger and better than ever. This time around, we have a booth on the show floor where anyone interested can see and try the latest Star Citizen Alpha. Some of our best community streamers will be on hand to share the game with everyone who can’t make it to Cologne. That’s all leading up to the main event on Friday night, where Chris Roberts will share the latest on Star Citizen’s development (and a few surprises) with a backer-only crowd! Chris’ presentation will be livestreamed. Whether you’re attending the event or following from home, all the details you need are available in this post. We look forward to showing you what’s next!

Qrsxptq.png

Edit: Here'e the sneak peek from the weekly newsletter, Dragonfly In-engine:

tI2meCO.gif

did CIG never implement the breathing effect on the glass on your mask they demoed a while back?

It was in the game build actually in the training mission as well as AC for ahile on the main visor. WHen they started redoing the PC model, it was temp removed I presume until a finalised FP-Helmet set up is found.

Given how it is a mechanic in the game, I imagine it will be back around star marine time and Sean Tracy and team finish "Helmet 2.0".
I got Friday off.

Bring. It. On.

See you in the chat, lads. <3

Be THERE or BE square.

Question.

I own a Freelancer MAX and an Origin 315.

Is there any hanger or upgrade that will allow me to see both ships in one hanger? Right now I have to switch between two hangers and only one ship will load in each.

Zalusithix

Question.

I own a Freelancer MAX and an Origin 315.

Is there any hanger or upgrade that will allow me to see both ships in one hanger? Right now I have to switch between two hangers and only one ship will load in each.

The current hangars are large enough to load more than one ship in a bay. Just find the markers on the floor to set the ships. There's more than one marker spread out in different positions.

XPE

I wonder if there will be a big gap between 2.5 and 2.6. If 2.6 mostly focuses on Star Marine it might come out quickly, do we know if there is any PTU stuff for 2.6? (like new ships or bases)

KKRT00

I wonder if there will be a big gap between 2.5 and 2.6. If 2.6 mostly focuses on Star Marine it might come out quickly, do we know if there is any PTU stuff for 2.6? (like new ships or bases)

They will be expanding Grim Hex in 2.6 and definitely add some new stuff, but generally most of the new PTU stuff is planned with 2.7.

tuxfool

Banned
I haven't had an issue like that on the PC. Is it the PS4 version? People said it was glitchy.... but wow.

As stated above, he travelled so far from the origin that the coordinate system they use no longer had the precision make everything not shift incessantly (the engine can no longer draw vertices in predictable locations).

The player isn't supposed to go there, this is the limit of the playable space. What the person recording that video did is probably cheat engine his way to unlimited fuel in an attempt to reach the sun.

(the sun is unreachable probably because it is in the skybox)

I'd honestly prefer if they didn't. Sounds annoying.

It used to only happen when you were out of breath just as an FYI. So after you sprint for a while.

BTW, are we making a gamescom thread at all with info after it hits / before the stream? Or should we keep to our little humble abode?
https://youtu.be/Rfq31WzdMj8?t=6025
This is why we needed 64bit precision guys!

That is pretty brutal.

I spent some time the other day flying around Yela @ 700 m/s. It is quite the feeling to realise you are taking 10 mins just to get some place at those speeds. I love it :D

RK9039

It used to only happen when you were out of breath just as an FYI. So after you sprint for a while.

BTW, are we making a gamecom thread at all with info after it hits? Or should we keep to our little humble abode?

There was one last year wasn't there? maybe I'm imagining things. I think if there's something big (I'm hoping for planetary gameplay or something) then someone should make one, new news or whatever they say.

Zalusithix

As stated above, he travelled so far from the origin that the coordinate system they use no longer had the precision make everything not shift incessantly (the engine can no longer draw vertices in predictable locations).

The player isn't supposed to go there, this is the limit of the playable space. What the person recording that video did is probably cheat engine his way to unlimited fuel in an attempt to reach the sun.

(the sun is unreachable probably because it is in the skybox)

As long as there's asteroids to blow up, there's fuel to power the ship's drives. I haven't tried it myself, but I assume there's always asteroids around no matter how far you go out with no need to cheat. Just like there's always asteroids clouding a planet. One of those things needed for gameplay purposes, but is totally unrealistic.

IMO the space based stuff is the worst part of NMS. Almost every part of it is unrealistic and boring to boot. It pretty much just exists as a mechanism to move from planet to planet, or quickly from one part of the planet to another part of it. Sure there's some combat up there, but that's so meh that it might as well not exist. Unlike SC and ED which are space games that have planet side aspects, NMS is a planetside game with a few space aspects.

Geist-

BTW, are we making a gamescom thread at all with info after it hits / before the stream? Or should we keep to our little humble abode?

That is pretty brutal.

I spent some time the other day flying around Yela @ 700 m/s. It is quite the feeling to realise you are taking 10 mins just to get some place at those speeds. I love it :D
Long enough to feel significant, short enough to not be annoying.
There was one last year wasn't there? maybe I'm imagining things. I think if there's something big (I'm hoping for planetary gameplay or something) then someone should make one, new news or whatever they say.
There was. And we should definitely have a thread this year as they're going to be showing off everything they showed in that german magazine(based on the last AtV), which I think is pretty significant.

Daedardus

With No Man's Sky finally out, I hope people can understand the difference between the game. If you don't go for the same level of fidelity, well, now you know what you get.

Well, it depends on what discussion you want. Do you like to talk about scams, overpromising and underdelivering, wasting money, game delays and Derek Smart, go for it. I think the thread suffices for now.

With No Man's Sky finally out, I hope people can understand the difference between the game. If you don't go for the same level of fidelity, well, now you know what you get.

It depends on what discussion you want. Do you like to talk about scams, overpromising and underdelivering, wasting money, game delays and Derek Smart, go for it. I think the thread suffices for now.
Agreed that Gamescom thread will quickly desovle into a dick measuring contest (NMS and it's fans maybe looking to lash out), even more so given that other thread comparing ED...etc. Then you got your typical drive by shit post that will derail any and all observations and conversations at some point. After that you will have the standard agrument points and benign statements about how CIG is doing something wrong or how this game will never get finished now.

(Even if they show something amazing, the point will be that its not playable)

Or better yet if what they show is not up to their standards, yelling scam will do the trick. Well be great times...not

Shit imagine if they have to push SQ42 to early 2017?.The people that hate the project on principal and harass out of habit, will be harping on that for weeks. When in fact i'm sure many backers and fans are preparing for that announcement if it happens, only for CIG to give us something juicy in the meantime.

Top Bottom