• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Behold Nintendo Switch (March 2017, Hybrid w/ Dock, Detachable Controllers, Nvidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malus

Having come down from the initial reveal high, pretty disappointed in today's showing. Not nearly substantial enough in terms of games/game footage for my liking. Matt saying that both Mario Kart and Splatoon are ports sucks and diminishes my interest in those. Mario looked cool for the 6 seconds it was on screen. Highlight of the show really.

The hardware stuff was basically a confirmation of the rumors we've been discussing for a while now. The portable element doesn't appeal to me. Nothing exciting in terms of graphics. I hope the price is appealing at least.

I like being able to play split controller style ala Wiimote and Nunchuk, but I just realized there's probably no headphone port on the detachable parts :(

Nintendo not talking about Switch anymore until next year might as well be delaying the reveal until next year as far as I'm concerned. Was only really interested in the games and this hardly scratched the itch. Just playing the waiting game again for now. Can only sit by and have faith that the merged platform idea will deliver results eventually. I'm optimistic for that if nothing else.

Console itself is pretty nondescript looking. Kinda disappointed in that too. Doesn't matter too much though.

jts

...hate me...
It's better than expected and having games like skyrim on a handheld would be amazing, but i think i'll wait for a smaller revision and a left joycon with a real dpad and analog on the bottom.
Nothing stops Nintendo from releasing different joycons I guess but with a real dpad it would lose the ability to be used in that "mini-multiplayer" mode, which, granted, may not be important for everyone.

Left analog on the bottom though ehhh is anyone still doing that besides Sony? And their controllers never been considered the best have they. Microsoft always did the left analog on the top, and so did Nintendo for the most of it. It's the primary directional input so top placement is adequate.

Ammogeddon

Maybe its already been pointed out, but the +/- buttons look to release the lock on the Joy-Cons. The actor playing Zelda at home is pressing them as he detaches them form the base "Joy-Con Grip" controller.

They were my thoughts too but someone rightly pointed out that Nintendo have been using plus/minus buttons for a while. Also take a look at the Switch pro controller as it has proper plus/minus buttons. Perhaps they have a dual purpose on the joy-con controllers.

SMG

Hoping to see some 3DS remasters on this too if we're getting Wii U stuff.

Would love A Link Between Worlds/OoT/MM
No one had a Wii u so making follow ups to the good games on that system gives Switch an amazing foundation. People have already played 3ds games, the whole 'hidden gems' thing just isn't there.

GlamFM

Banned
This is the kind of third party support I need:

XFlmE4H.jpg

tpfkanep

Not feeling the itch to switch... only thing that might convince me is the software & price. No proper dpad in what seems like the default setup is dissapointing.

The Wii reveal was such a great accomplishment...

Prototype

How is this supposed to be portable, other than the fact that you can take it with you? Seems to be portable in name only.

- it's not small, so carrying it a pocket is out of the question
- where to store the control attachments? Either carry them on you (more clutter and things to carry) or make the portable even bigger than just the screen magnifying the first point I raised
- battery life is likely going to be an issue

Not sure who this is aimed at exactly. Seems like neither console owners or portable owners are really getting a full experience from Nintendo with this solution.

I'm iffy on the prospects of this at anything more than $200,
Wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be Wii U level of sales all over again.

They were my thoughts too but someone rightly pointed out that Nintendo have been using plus/minus buttons for a while. Also take a look at the Switch pro controller as it has proper plus/minus buttons. Perhaps they have a dual purpose on the joy-con controllers.

If you look at some rear shots of the Joy-Cons, I believe there's a small round button nestled next to the triggers. I believe the guy in the trailer is actually pressing those, resting against the +/- buttons as leverage to firmly click the release.

robotrock

Banned
No one had a Wii u so making follow ups to the good games on that system gives Switch an amazing foundation. People have already played 3ds games, the whole 'hidden gems' thing just isn't there.
Good point, forgot to consider this even. Got way too excited about playing those N64 Zelda remasters on my TV.

EVH

Maybe its already been pointed out, but the +/- buttons look to release the lock on the Joy-Cons. The actor playing Zelda at home is pressing them as he detaches them form the base "Joy-Con Grip" controller.

There are small buttons behind the JoyCon, next to the triggers, that looks like they have that function already.

I agree in some parts, but I don't want to go off topic and talk about the Vita and why it failed.

I will wait for the full spects of the Switch before I use the "home console on the go", if its tegra 1 based forget it.

And I will wait for the final version of the games, because I bought a Wii U for Zelda and I still wait to play the game.

About perception, imagine a scenario where a mom asks about the new "nintendo tablet" (that is the term I hear all day) and finds out that she needs to pay 60-70€ so that her child can play mario. All these money just for one game (lets forget hardware price for a moment).

Compare this price point for software with the hundrends versions of android, windows or apple tablets out there, with thousands of free games/apps.

For a mass market success, I hope they can achieve it, but I just don't see it happening and the main reason that concerns me is the price of software.

I will probably get one after 12-15 months of its launch because I love Nintendo exclusives, and because I travel a lot maybe if they deliver I can find a new main mobile console (now I use a vita and an iPad for mobile gaming).

And look at their messaging/marketing strategy, I think is crazy.

They even done copyright claims on peoples youtube videos of reactions/presentations that used the footage from the trailer.

Mario has already been 50-60$ for the past 10 years aside from the portable versions. Remember this is a home console first as foremost and is being sold as such. Competing with the mobile market and their mass of free/cheap games hasn't stopped people from paying 50/60$ for these games. WiiU flopped but its attach rate for its games was incredible. I dont think price of the games is going to be an issue. 60$ is standard for pretty much every game nowadays and people are willing to pay that price.

Let me get this right.

A single Joy-Con controller

-4 face buttons
-analog stick
- -/+ button
- 2 shoulder buttons
- 2 side shoulder buttons

?

Switch needs Nintendo's unified support - pulled from their portable and console divisions - to succeed. No more sparse releases. If the release schedule is anything like the Wii U's, it'll fail.

I love how sleek it looks, I'm really excited for it now. Just wondering how comfortable those removable controllers are, they look very small.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I stand corrected. My wife thinks it's dumb too lol. She was really hoping for just a regular Nintendo non of this gimmicky stuff the last few have had. But if it has actual games this time maybe she will come around. She is super bummed :(

I just want a Nintendo home console. Not a new portable. That's what this is but now it also plugs into my TV lol the wiiu was such a piece of shit there is no way I'm buying into this anytime soon and I see there is games that look good on my TV for it. And under 200$ is required. What a dissapointment.

I just want a non gimmicky option that's cheaper lol. Or what I really want is a powerful Nintendo system. Sick of their games looking so shitty compared to Sony/Microsoft, or more importantly not getting any multiplats cause its underpowered. I think being worried about good games is a valid concern with Nintendo.

Lol. Not even close. How many 20-40 year olds do you see walking around with this thing? Kids sure. Hardcore? This is well off the mark.

You are in the minority. Kids might like this, but geared towards PS4 crowd this is not. Look at that controller lol. Wow.

I'm not saying there is zero people that will, on this forum I'm sure alot would. But the general public? Nah.

Will this be capable of native 1080p games? It better be lol

Man, those controls look awful lol. I agree with above, they look like 3rd party attachments.

I think you're misusing the word "gimmicky". Try using "not for me" instead. Especially with the bold part.

Also, you're like an edgy "hardcore" gaming jokes/memes generator. "Lol"

Let me get this right.

A single Joy-Con controller

-4 face buttons
-analog stick
- -/+ button
- 2 shoulder buttons
- 2 side shoulder buttons

?
Square/Circle system buttons.
Is there confirmation on the side shoulders? There are some shots of people jamming their fingers into the slide rail but I wasn't sure if it works as an input, would be good if it does.

Raitaro

Not sure if this has been said by others but I'm making a bold prediction here (since the dedicated Switch touch screen thread seems to be locked): the Switch "tablet" won't have a touch screen.

My reasons for thinking this:
- Switch is presented primarily as a home console, not a handheld, and it likely won't support using the tablet screen at the same time as the TV screen. This means that adding anything beyond purely displaying the game on the tablet screen, like touch controls, would mean we lose key control functionality when playing on TV (and that each game would have to support traditional and touch controls).
- Breath of the Wild for Wii U makes no use of the Wii U gamepad's touch screen in terms of actual touch input (or a second screen in any meaningful way at all for that matter, which could be proof that Switch only works on one screen at all times), which seemed odd at E3 but which I now think is because they have to limit themselves to what the Switch screen can do to achieve parity between the two versions. (In other words, I predict that all Switch "tablet" functionality is at its core identical to what the Wii U gamepad allows for Breath of the Wild, so yes to gyroscope but no to touch screen or second screen functionality.)

And remember, just because the whole world would think it to be illogical and a step backwards to ditch such a key input method, a method Nintendo themselves made people get accustomed to with their previous devices, that this doesn't mean it would be beyond Nintendo and their strong focus on cost effectiveness to remove it.

If indeed true, this would greatly limit any kind of backwards compatibility with or ports of Wii U and 3DS games. A game like Super Mario Maker would also need to be redesigned to work.

T.O.P

Banned
God after the WiiU this looks so neat

From the design to the actual concept this is just impressive

I'm just hoping for a decent image quality on that portable screen

I really don't see how the switching it's a gimmick. This seems to me the less gimmicky thing Nintendo has released in years.

How is it not a gimmick. The entire reveal was "Look! Here is switching, and switching, and switching".

Is very clearly what they are using to publicise the console. Is nothing wrong with that, gimmicks aren't necessarily bad things (they can be, like some Wii games that suffered due to controls).

Square/Circle system buttons.
Is there confirmation on the side shoulders? There are some shots of people jamming their fingers into the slide rail but I wasn't sure if it works as an input, would be good if it does.

I'm assuming it depends on the games on who wants to use the side shoulder buttons.

You'll be able to atleast use one of them with your middle finger.

You know what I just thought! What if there's a swappable Joy-Con with the scrollable wheel at the top!

jts

...hate me...
God after the WiiU this looks so neat

From the design to the actual concept this is just impressive

I'm just hoping for a decent image quality on that portable screen
Its DPI is nothing to write home about but shouldn't be too jarring either. As long as the actual panel is IPS and good that's a huge improvement from the Wii U.

Hip Hop

As long as it can get the 3DS demographic, that's the key imo for the Switch to succeed. Without that support of players, it won't gain traction.

13ruce

Banned
What i'm super happy about is that the march release date still stands, i was expecting that they would delay it to the holiday season.

So i guess Mario Switch will come around the holidays and Zelda will be the big game at launch with probaly the Splatoon and Mario Kart port and some third party games like Skyrim and some more.

Dominator

Now that I've looked at it a fair amount, the actual screen and dock look very nice. The joy-con pieces on the sides of the screen also look good. The actual joy-con controller on the other hand looks really terrible and uncomfortable. I'll probably never use that think because the Pro controller is far superior.

Since there are some concerns regarding the chance of motion controls not happening i think there are some things in the trailer to consider:
  • A by know industry standard feature of portable screens: "touch sensitivity", is completely abscent from the video. And is hard to see how the screen won't be touch capable in the final product.
  • The trailer is focusing in one target demographic, the one that is far more detached from Nintendo and alternative type of controls such as motion ones.
  • There's no way Nintendo will not target their more important markets, kids and families and those are absent in this commercial.
With the 3 above considerations one can speculate that will get 1 or 2 more trailer/information dumps that will focus on motion controllers (kids/family) and mobile style gaming with touch controls.

In conclusion think that touch screen is almost guaranteed and giving the nature and purpose of the trailer that motion gaming has a very good chance of happening in the end.

love the industrial design, metallic grey, the logo.

games look solid as well, this will probably be my 1st nintendo console.

btw is there any news about backwards compatibility? it seems possible just by looking at this thing, tablet controller and all..

jts

...hate me...
How would you do that when it has to be docked to play on TV?
Makes me wonder, would people accept if it was possible to run a cord between the console and and its dock, to enable touchscreen gaming / Wii U BC?

Probably not.

As long as it can get the 3DS demographic, that's the key imo for the Switch to succeed. Without that support of players, it won't gain traction.
All it needs are 3DS and Vita devs on board and it'll be fine.

Nintendo should focus on getting the Vita fans to make the Switch.

Spinluck

I'm pretty excited about this personally but I just don't see how a high techy handheld system with a TV out won't flop. It's like just giving the vita a TV out. It still would have failed hard. And Too many sacrifices made for at home gamers.

Look at what you just said and go compare Vita lifetime sales and compare them to 3DS lifetime sales. Then Google "software" for both.

This might be Nintendo's best gimmick, IMO. It's super creative, it's super practical, and it's immediately obvious. It's such a "no duh" gimmick, and one that no one's going to be scratching their heads about like they did with the Wii U.

random25

Since there are some concerns regarding the chance of motion controls not happening i think there are some things in the trailer to consider:
  • A by know industry standard feature of portable screens: "touch sensitivity", is completely abscent from the video. And is hard to see how the screen won't be touch capable in the final product.
  • The trailer is focusing in one target demographic, the one that is far more detached from Nintendo and alternative type of controls such as motion ones.
  • There's no way Nintendo will not target their more important markets, kids and families and those are absent in this commercial.
With the 3 above considerations one can speculate that will get 1 or 2 more trailer/information dumps that will focus on motion controllers (kids/family) and mobile style gaming with touch controls.

In conclusion think that touch screen is almost guaranteed and giving the nature and purpose of the trailer that motion gaming has a very good chance of happening.

The key thing here is Ubisoft sort of hinted at attracting back casuals with NX aka Switch. And their strongest casual game is Just Dance. If Just Dance will be a Switch game at some point then you need those motion controls in the gut of the Joycon.

As for touch controls, well the games they featured does not need touch controls so it makes sense not to see them in the trailer. We have to verify, but I'm fairly certain it is a feature of the portable side of things if they want to bring more franchises to the platform.

Antagon

I wouldn't expect touch control to be a large thing on this. Games should work in all modes, so touch controls can only be optional (for inventories and such?). But concepts like elite beat agents is not something for this machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom