• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO: for best IQ (Native 4k + HDR + 60 HZ + 4:4:4) 2160p-YUV420 or 2160p-RGB?

Drewfonse

I haven't read all of this thread yet, but I wanted to let y'all know that the PS4 Pro is definitely working fine with the Vizio P Series (I have a P55-C1)

I've set my resolution to 2160p - RGB, everything else to Auto, and HDR is showing "Yes" when I play Ratchet & Clank, and it looks spectacular.

Also, I set my resolution to 1080p on the Pro, and HDR is definitely working.

Is there a visual difference that you notice if you switch to the other 2160 res?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Maybe this is where the confusion lies. 4K 10-bit has literally NOTHING to do with HDR.

HDR is metadata sent along with the 'picture'
That's exactly right.

HDR takes advantage of 10-bit but that is not what defines HDR.

But look: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks9000

Those features combiend are possible with the newest TVs. I don't see why the PS4 PRO doesn't allow that. This is still HDMI 2.0 for the TVs. When HDMI 2.1 comes out which will allow HDR with Dynamic Metadata, those TVs or the newer TVs will be able to run it too. PS4 PRO doesn't allow even a basic version of all of those , let alone the upcoming features.

But what they're failing to mention is if you do 4:4:4 at 60hz you're stuck at 8 bit, thus negating the befits for hdr. It just looks horrible, too much color banding. Look at shadow warrior 2. For hdr you would want the 4:2 option as is the only one capable of 10 bit at 60hz due HDMI limitations. That would be the best option. Not having 4:4:4 isn't a big deal unless you're seating in front of your tv like a monitor for text or graphics.

cripterion

It is confusing as hell.
I have JU6800, a Samsung 4K tv that is 8bit but somehow had quantum dots (reason why I took it and also chose the 50" model since it has a VA panel unlike 55" which is IPS) and for the Xbox One S it passes all the HDR tests. PQI is 1400.
So not an 10bit panel but somehow can do somewhat HDR and passes 10 bit tests? hmmm

1474375145646-jpg.761780

(This isn't my pic, just taken from AV forums JU6800 owner's thread).

For me HDR looks better than SDR on Uncharted 4 (I do use dynamic contrast set to medium though) on the regular PS4 for now so not too sure what settings I'll pick for the PS4 pro, guess I'll have some fiddling to do.

All in all, sounds like they jumped the gun on HDR, at the same time, I can be satisfied with what I've got but there's no way I would pay top euro for the high end models when they might be irrelevant in a year or so due to not being fully compliant.

A lot of us have your TV (the 65 version though) and all the HDR stuff looks great. Infamous especially.

Good to know. :)

I have it calibrated for REC 709 colours and it looks fantastic but with HDR and BT2020 the colours really pop (which look amazing) but I think some colours pop a bit too much, so will need to do some tweaking in HDR mode, but I was still very impressed.

Spanky

Neo Member
It is confusing as hell.
I have JU6800, a Samsung 4K tv that is 8bit but somehow had quantum dots (reason why I took it and also chose the 50" model since it has a VA panel unlike 55" which is IPS) and for the Xbox One S it passes all the HDR tests. PQI is 1400.
So not an 10bit panel but somehow can do somewhat HDR and passes 10 bit tests? hmmm

1474375145646-jpg.761780

For me HDR looks better than SDR on Uncharted 4 (I do use dynamic contrast set to medium though) on the regular PS4 for now so not too sure what settings I'll pick for the PS4 pro, guess I'll have some fiddling to do.

All in all, sounds like they jumped the gun on HDR, at the same time, I can be satisfied with what I've got but there's no way I would pay top euro for the high end models when they might be irrelevant in a year or so due to not being fully compliant.

Could I ask what other settings you use, i.e. Movie mode, or if you have enabled UHD Color on the HDMI port etc?

I have the same TV and love it, but would like to be armed with potential settings prior to my Pro coming tomorrow - cheers in advance bud.

cripterion

Could I ask what other settings you use, i.e. Movie mode, or if you have enabled UHD Color on the HDMI port etc?

I have the same TV and love it, but would like to be armed with potential settings prior to my Pro coming tomorrow - cheers in advance bud.

I'm using game mode and I hooked up the PS4 to HDMI 1 which has HDMI UHD Color (Not sure the OG PS4 can benefit from it but I switched it there since I'm getting the pro and I use less and less my tv as a 2nd monitor).

When I play on a HDR enabled game it takes care of the rest, setting contrast to 100 and backlight to 20 automatically, yet it never feels ever so bright as if I would manually put it for normal TV viewing.

Dynamic contrast set to high make the colors pop in Uncharted 4 but it also crushes blacks too much, so it's really, really dark in certain areas and you lose details.
I use native color space and warm 1 (as a personal preference to warm 2 cause I think it looks too yellowish). I have sharpness set to 15, again, personal preference.

All this is for Uncharted 4, I found that warm 2 looked alright, or even better for TLOU. But I went back and forth with these settings on the jeep level in Uncharted 4 and like I said, really seemed to yellow/orange for my taste.

My PS4 is on Full and TV HDMI black level set to normal. Everything else is disabled as per the game mode.

I know the true SUHD models and LG Oled are off the hook (especially the Oled when it comes to the black levels) but I have a Samsung HD filled with UHD content, and playing Life of Pi, it definitely looks fantastic on this tv. I'm waiting for an update to Youtube app for HDR, and I cannot test Netflix 4K and such cause I have a shitty connection, but I've downloaded several UHD demo's and they all looked good when I played them on my pc hooked to the tv on HDMI 1, and set to RGB Full in nvidia settings or 4:4:4.

So overall pretty happy with the set considering I got it for around 800€ in France, back when it came out (Think it was initially 1400€). Picture looks great as long as you stay in the center of the tv.

Spanky

Neo Member
I'm using game mode and I hooked up the PS4 to HDMI 1 which has HDMI UHD Color (Not sure the OG PS4 can benefit from it but I switched it there since I'm getting the pro and I use less and less my tv as a 2nd monitor).

When I play on a HDR enabled game it takes care of the rest, setting contrast to 100 and backlight to 20 automatically, yet it never feels ever so bright as if I would manually put it for normal TV viewing.

Dynamic contrast set to high make the colors pop in Uncharted 4 but it also crushes blacks too much, so it's really, really dark in certain areas and you lose details.
I use native color space and warm 1 (as a personal preference to warm 2 cause I think it looks too yellowish). I have sharpness set to 15, again, personal preference.

All this is for Uncharted 4, I found that warm 2 looked alright, or even better for TLOU. But I went back and forth with these settings on the jeep level in Uncharted 4 and like I said, really seemed to yellow/orange for my taste.

My PS4 is on Full and TV HDMI black level set to normal. Everything else is disabled as per the game mode.

I know the true SUHD models and LG Oled are off the hook (especially the Oled when it comes to the black levels) but I have a Samsung HD filled with UHD content, and playing Life of Pi, it definitely looks fantastic on this tv. I'm waiting for an update to Youtube app for HDR, and I cannot test Netflix 4K and such cause I have a shitty connection, but I've downloaded several UHD demo's and they all looked good when I played them on my pc hooked to the tv on HDMI 1, and set to RGB Full in nvidia settings or 4:4:4.

So overall pretty happy with the set considering I got it for around 800€ in France, back when it came out (Think it was initially 1400€). Picture looks great as long as you stay in the center of the tv.

Great stuff, thanks for the information it is massively appreciated.

rubes7844

Banned
Question:

I have a non HDR 4K TV with PSVR. Which option do I choose? RGB and I'll still get the full bandwidth required?

dr_rus

It is confusing as hell.

1474375145646-jpg.761780

Panel tech is completely hidden behind the input logic which may report whatever the manufacturer want to the source device. Theoretically you can have an 8 bit 1080p TV report itself as a "HDR 4K TV" although this probably won't be able to get any certification at all. Lots of modern "HDR" TVs are in fact unable to provide the brightness / contrast values which are required for HDR to even look like HDR.

Hence why it's important and will be important for some time to specify the TV model you use to check out HDR in games and videos. This is a panel HDR tech, and it will look quite a bit different between different panels and TV sets.

So what is the final stance ?? Yuv or Rgb (lg c6)

Best IQ is RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 (same thing basically).

But for HDR to work in 4K@60Hz you'll have to use YCbCr 4:2:0 since it's impossible to use HDR in this resolution with full color detail because of HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limit.

g11

Yes I believe so. At 60fps anyway.

HDMI-color-spaces.png

As you can see, you can have 8bit RGB at 4k60, or 8 bit 4:4:4, but at 10 bit RGB and 4:4:4 are limited to 4k30, above that you only have 4:2:0.

Clearly I'm missing something here. Why is 4K@60 capable of 4:2:2 at 12bit but not 10bit? Shouldn't 4:2:2 at 10bit be less data? Based on the video someone linked earlier explaining 4:4:4 v 4:2:2, it sounds like 4K 60fps 4:2:2 10bit shouldn't be a huge visible difference versus 4:4:4 on a TV.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm assuming there is no issue with 4K/RGB/HDR when watching a 4K Blu-ray, due to the lower frame-rate?

Will 'Automatic' not suffice ?

Theoretically yes, if it's actively switching between modes when a 60 fps game is/isn't using HDR. We don't know how well automatic does this yet though, I'm just gonna enable/disable RGB when I'm playing games that I know are/are not HDR+60 fps.

Does anyone know if Infinite Warfare has a HDR mode?

So in regards to HDMI bandwidth, when it comes to switches/splitters, what is the minimum bandwidth the equipment should be rated for in order to support HDR10 @ 4K 60Hz?
I've seen switches/splitters that claim to support HDR yet are only rated for 10.2gbps or 13.5gbps. Are these not good enough for HDR gaming purposes?

So in regards to HDMI bandwidth, when it comes to switches/splitters, what is the minimum bandwidth the equipment should be rated for in order to support HDR10 @ 4K 60Hz?
I've seen switches/splitters that claim to support HDR yet are only rated for 10.2gbps or 13.5gbps. Are these not good enough for HDR gaming purposes?

18.6gbps

f@luS

More than a member.
Best IQ is RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 (same thing basically).

But for HDR to work in 4K@60Hz you'll have to use YCbCr 4:2:0 since it's impossible to use HDR in this resolution with full color detail because of HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limit.
So... final stance if I want to enjoy hdr60 fps game it's to put yuv ? There will be 60fps game so ...
Or automatic will switch what's the best ?

So... final stance if I want to enjoy hdr60 fps game it's to put yuv ? There will be 60fps game so ...
Or automatic will switch what's the best ?
I don't think anyone knows if PS4's 4K RGB drops the chroma or goes to 8bit.

So best to stick with YUV ... I think

Caayn

I must say that I'm surprised that Sony doesn't disable the "RGB Full / Limited" setting when the console is running with the YUV colour format.

My TV (KS8000) detects an HDR signal in both YUV420 and RGB. Which should I go with?

Can you try playing an 30fps HDR game (Ratchet and Clank for example) while going with RGB, does it make the PS4 send a 30fps signal to make bandwidth for HDR and RGB?
if so, great! We can use RGB with all 30fps games to get HDR and 4:4:4.

if it sends a 60fps signal through the HDMI cable even while running 30fps games, we're stuck with YUV420 for HDR, it seems.

Caayn

Can you try playing an 30fps HDR game (Ratchet and Clank for example) while going with RGB, does it make the PS4 send a 30fps signal to make bandwidth for HDR and RGB?
if so, great! We can use RGB with all 30fps games to get HDR and 4:4:4.

if it sends a 60fps signal through the HDMI cable even while running 30fps games, we're stuck with YUV420 for HDR, it seems.
It stays in 60hz mode regardless of the fps target of the game.

f@luS

More than a member.
Because YUV has nothing to do with RGB Full or limited. Only the RGB colour space is affected by it.

If you're running in the YUV colour format your TV should be in RGB limited mode.

so if i put YUV, what should i put in the TV if its YUV on PS4? limited or full?

deadduck

I'm confused.

If I enable HDMI UHD colour on HDMI1 (PS4->TV breakout box) it says HDR not supported, HDCP 1.4 and black screens in 4k

If I disable HDMI UHD colour I get HDR not supported and HDCP2.2 and only YUV420 is enabled.

Anyone shed any light what's goin on here??

Caayn

The PSVR break-out box not supporting HDMI 2.0a is a huge frustration right now :(
So we can't take advantage of RGB even with 30fps games.
No.
so if i put YUV, what should i put in the TV if its YUV on PS4? limited or full?
If you use YUV the display should be in RGB limited mode. This is because YUV lines up better with RGB limited than with RGB full. For example in a 8 bit colourspace:

Black in:
YUV = 16
RBG limited = 16
RGB full = 0

White in:
YUV = 235 (YUV goes to 240 for colour)
RGB limited = 235
RGB full = 255

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here :)

Gskyace

Just to mention, if someone don't know this yet.
On Bravia 4K HDR TV, when you don't get RGB and HDR for 4K, which normally let you choose 4K YUV and HDR is limited to 2K.
Then set your Bravia TV. In settings, open the HDMI terminal connecting your PS4 Pro and set the signal to Enhanced. Then restart TV and console.
You will get HDR on 2K/4K and a choice to select 4K RGB.

Don't know other TVs, might be the same, might be not.

jonno394

I'm confused.

If I enable HDMI UHD colour on HDMI1 (PS4->TV breakout box) it says HDR not supported, HDCP 1.4 and black screens in 4k

If I disable HDMI UHD colour I get HDR not supported and HDCP2.2 and only YUV420 is enabled.

Anyone shed any light what's goin on here??

What mode is your ps4 in. Uhd colour mode is used for 4k60 rgb 4:4:4 inputs.

Luke_Wal

Some have said that the Pro is working well with their Vizio Ps. For me, at least, HDR options aren't showing up and it will only let me select YUV420, saying RGB isn't supported, in the same HDMI port with the same cable that had HDR work with my vanilla PS4. Anybody have any ideas?

Some have said that the Pro is working well with their Vizio Ps. For me, at least, HDR options aren't showing up and it will only let me select YUV420, saying RGB isn't supported, in the same HDMI port with the same cable that had HDR work with my vanilla PS4. Anybody have any ideas?
The P-Series is a shit show right now. To be clear, you are not able to get HDR in either 4KYUV420 or 4KRGB mode? YUV420 is known to not work with the P-Series, but I thought another GAFer said RGB works for now.

With more information, this is not a fair criticism for me to make. The PS4 Pro switches to YUV422, which works flawlessly with the P-Series.

dr_rus

Switching to RGB 4k changes my Color format to YUV 4.2.2 with HDR enabled.

Yeah, I'm expecting it to happen automatically as most users don't have the knowledge to mess with this themselves. So just setting the output to RGB should be ok for Pro even if you want to use HDR.

Top Bottom