• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Wow, this betting special is so convoluted, I *LOVE* it

COLD BLOODED
UNREPENTANT BOSMAN
RAINY DAY IAN
PUNISHED HUBER
BENZILLA
BRAND MANAGER

Maiar_m

7 minutes in the betting special, it's a bit TOO good and should probably be stopped by the police or something. I lost it at the unrepentant Bosman intro.

J-Skee

OMG, that intro. Brilliant.

EDIT:
I literally just bursted out in laughter when Bosman got mad at Huber for his simple. This is amazing.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Bets list below, spoilered for the moment:

Simple Bets:

- Will the word "Metroid" be spoken?
- Will Wario reveal himself?
- Will the phrase "You're a kid now, you're a squid now" reveal itself?
- Will Wave Race be shown in any form?
- Will Waluigi speak? (This includes grunts, laughs, etc.)
- Will Link reveal HERSELF?

Dirty Bets:

- How many Rupees will we see?
- How many Fire Flowers will appear?
- How many Switch games shown will star Mario?
- (The Elyse Special) How many Double Jumps?
- How many Switch clicks will we hear during the presentation?
- How many times will the phrase "Make the Switch" be said?

Double. Down. on. Don.:

- How many times will a word be spoken out loud that rhymes with the word "Switch"?

FINAL BETS:
- What will be the US retail price of the Switch (Price of lowest SKU)

Fat4all

Banned
I deeply appreciate the effort Jones put into his getup for the betting special.

ohTLW7n.png

MrMette

It's tough trying to reconcile others experiences sometimes because it's not like I've waved away these issues or ignored them. When I hear other people describe their struggles with the camera and controls, it sounds like they're talking about a different game. Putting aside the fact that Trico's AI seems to act very differently for different people in specific situations, the general controls to me never feel like more than a minor obstacle. Camera issues came up in my two playthroughs, but only occasionally. As I said on Frame Trap, the imprecision and stumbling feel of the controls sell me on that feeling of being a weak, clumsy little boy to the point that I'd be wary about a patch that changed that.

I think there is a sense that it's a game that requires some patience on the part of the player and sometimes simple things take trial and error, which I think is where Ian's tolerance wore thin. But again it's hard for me to reconcile when someone thinks it's tedious or repetitive or that the world doesn't make sense because I actually feel like there is quite a bit of creativity in its problem solving. There's only one puzzle I don't like, and the world feels painstakingly thought out.

And really it's not a matter of who's right or wrong to me. I stand by my score and my feeling that this is going to be a game that I always look back on in awe. I'm just bummed that somehow not everyone seems to experience that and connect with it on the same level.

(Also if you aren't already, try using L1 to center the camera on Trico and see if that makes any difference to you. I really think that missing that extra bit of control may be part of some people's frustrations.)
I have watched the review before (when it came out and it made me wanting to play the game more than before), I haven't watched the Frame Trap bit as I was afraid of spoilers.

I understand why you love TLG and I certainly am not saying you should change your score or anything like that. A review is your personal score on a game and I certainly don't have anything to say about how you should feel about a game. The scores you guys give are generally in the same ball park I would give the game. That's the reason why I am somewhat surprised that there is such a big difference this time (for the short amount of time I played, I would rate it 3/5 stars, but I am sure that will change if I can get over the camera thing).

I really hope I can because the way Trico is made is wonderful (I also don't have problems with Trico not always doing what you want as it is supposed to be an animal and I think that is wonderfully done).

Although it can be frustrating when you try to figure out what the game wants you to do and Trico is just not far enough to try to climb a specific wall (I do think it can be more clear what stuff you can climb and what you stuff can't).

Thanks for the L1 tip to center the camera. It has been 1 or 2 weeks since I played it and I can't remember if I knew or not, but I will certainly hold that in mind. I will try to play a bit of it this weekend to see if I can get passed the hump as it should be a game I love (I usually like these type of games), but because of some reason it just got on my nerves.

Again, I do think you should score a review on your own experience and not trying to find out what other people will think. I was just somewhat shocked by the 5/5 stars and me having this much trouble with the camera (and a bit the controls). But that's ok, people are different and I am glad so many people really love the game. I just hope I can love it as well.

I guess I should have given it a bit more time. I am sure the game will get better after a while

El-Suave

I've only watched 45 seconds of this ... this ...

This is going to be special, isn't it?

You bet!

On a more serious note - after the initial reveal live reaction stream when the archive couldn't have audio due to copyright reasons, are we sure this archive will be intact and safe? This thing airs at 5am over here so I probably won't be able to watch it live. It would be such a bummer if copyright law and/or Twitch struck again and we couldn't watch it after it originally aired.

Dmax3901

Holy shit that was such a joy, not to speak poorly of the other allies, but you can definitely see the Bosman touch at work here. Just in terms of structure and organisation if nothing else. Segment Writer indeed!

I can forgive Huber and Ian for not liking TLG, they have apologized enough and I believe they're suffering about not being able to love it. I hope Brandon gets around to playing it, I feel he wouldn't like it either but then again Ian's reaction totally surprised me, too. I'm kind of glad that the EZA GOTY's were so soon now because we probably would have ended up with Uncharted winning the big award. It's a totally valid and fine candidate but I love the boldness of giving the win to TLG over the universally loved safe choice of UC4.

No forgiveness, no mercy. They're heartless monsters.

Loved the betting special. Brilliant intro. Ben and Jones' gimmicks were awesome, while Punished Huber was pretty great too (he loses points for not saying/writing "Chapter 1: Revenge").

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
4 minutes into the betting special I'm reminded of when Barney Stinson from How I met your mother did chinese gambling.

Love how everyone seems to full commit to a role, hilarious.
Also way better shot(/picture quality is better) than the last one.

Mista Koo

Great tournament. Happy to hear that Blood also wants people to learn how the games play before the tournament!
So glad that no one knew the boost mechanic and smoked everyone else. It's difficult too so it's not easy to pick up during the tournament (A -> B+RT, you can do at anytime even if you're not stopped).

Amazing how much the original level messed them up.
Does Damiani play driving games? He kept pulling the brakes like a sensible driver :p

demu

On a more serious note - after the initial reveal live reaction stream when the archive couldn't have audio due to copyright reasons, are we sure this archive will be intact and safe? This thing airs at 5am over here so I probably won't be able to watch it live. It would be such a bummer if copyright law and/or Twitch struck again and we couldn't watch it after it originally aired.
That's exactly my concern. I hope someone records the reactions just in case.

Two thoughts on the beginning of the betting special:
-Bloodworth looks weird when he shaves
-Brandon Jones nails Italian mobster look, and I say this as someone with possible Italian mobster in my extended family.

Mista Koo

That was everything I wanted it to be. The cuts, the music, the tone, it was all perfect.

Now I'll rank the personas:
  1. Rainy day Ian
  2. Brand Manager
  3. Benzilla
  4. Ultima Brad
  5. Punished Huber
  6. Referee Damiani
  7. Unrepentant Bosman
  8. Cold Blooded
I wanna make a fan art of them, but I'd have to redesign the bottom half to make them look interesting!

-Bloodworth looks weird when he shaves
Yep. If he cuts his hair too he would look like the most generic video game media dude :p

Edit: I missed this but it was perfect:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom