• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins PC - March 29 - Retail copy no DRM, Steam copy no 3rd party DRM

Aselith

I don't think it is a place holder. One of the Rock Paper Shotgun editors has been talking with the UBI rep on twitter and the UBI rep basically stated only the retail version is DRM free. Which is a strange move since PC is all about digital nowadays.

That's at least partially because you get DRM'ed either way though. I'll definitely be buying retail for DRM free. I like Steam but I much prefer a totally DRM free solution that means my game is always mine. People who go "DRM free? I'll buy it on Steam for sure!" confuse and frighten me.

Maedhros

That's at least partially because you get DRM'ed either way though. I'll definitely be buying retail for DRM free. I like Steam but I much prefer a totally DRM free solution that means my game is always mine. People who go "DRM free? I'll buy it on Steam for sure!" confuse and frighten me.

The Steam DRM isn't on the same level as Ubisoft bullshit. It's simple as that.

I don't mind Steam type of DRM at all.

Berordn

Steam's DRM on its own is unobtrusive and a non-issue since you have all of Steam's other features at your disposal, and for the coreligionists it's another game in your Steam collection. When coupled with any other DRM it becomes a nightmare and you gain nothing for it. It's one thing to oppose the principle of DRM entirely, which is fine, but most people just oppose the intrusive, consumer unfriendly varieties.

If the Steam version ends up just having Steam's DRM then I'd be getting that, just so I have it in my library and can track the achievements in it. If not, then I'll be grabbing a retail copy, because fuck TAGES.

I loved this game so much. Can't even upt into words how fun this was. Similar, but different in refreshing ways to Super Mario Bros. achievement are so fun to get, and the speed challenges are awesome. That last levels time challenge... Eesh what a pain! It took my wife and I nearly 45 minutes to memorize the fastest jumps, which paths to take around the lightning cloud, etc. Crazy fun in a different way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Here's why people don't see Steam as DRM:
- Valve isn't going to go bankrupt
- Valve isn't going to get bought out
- The DRM never interferes with them in their actual playing of the game
- Typically it is coupled with automatic patching, so insofar as they might have a pang of fear, they're also getting a benefit.

I mean, if you prefer DRM free, that's cool, but I'm not sure what's confusing about the stance that Stance or any similarly well implemented client by a reliable publisher would not be considered DRM for a lot of people.

Do they still hold up? I've never gotten into the series before but gog.com has them all for $15.

GOG version of rayman forever only comes with half the music but you can get the rest here. And just a heads up, some anti-virus software think that Rayman Forever is a virus so you might have to turn that off while installing.

Graphically Rayman 2 holds up well. You can edit the ubi.ini to set the res to 1080p. The game has some wierd fps cap though. It sometimes locks the fps to 60 which is annoying when you're on a 120hz monitor and sometimes it locks the fps to 30 which is really annoying.

Rayman 3 looks slightly worse than 2 for some reason. Here's a guide to make it 1080p or higher. This game has an unlocked framerate but the water is locked at 60 fps which makes it twice as fast at 120 fps.

Gameplay wise 2 and especially 1 hold up well. Haven't played much of 3 so I can't really comment on that
You'll probably want to use a gamepad for 2 and 3.

- Typically it is coupled with automatic patching, so insofar as they might have a pang of fear, they're also getting a benefit.

I mean, if you prefer DRM free, that's cool, but I'm not sure what's confusing about the stance that Stance or any similarly well implemented client by a reliable publisher would not be considered DRM for a lot of people.

It doesn't really matter whether or not people consider it so, it's a restriction on how you can use the software, so by any objective definition, it's DRM. It might be negligible to them, but it's still DRM.

It doesn't really matter whether or not people consider it so, it's a restriction on how you can use the software, so by any objective definition, it's DRM. It might be negligible to them, but it's still DRM.

Right, but to the extent such a loose definition of 'DRM' includes games being authenticated by CD Keys (which was prevalent 20 years ago), and the understanding that the majority of publishers will include 'DRM' (or, as it used to be called, 'copy protection') on anything they release to prevent casual piracy, Steam is a more than acceptable solution, as the benefits it provides far outweigh a single online activation check.

Aselith

Nah, I understand that. I just don't see why you'd go digital if you have an option for a totally DRM free game. I love Steam but why not get the one you will truly own (barring a significant price break)?

TheExodu5

Banned
Nah, I understand that. I just don't see why you'd go digital if you have an option for a totally DRM free game. I love Steam but why not get the one you will truly own (barring a significant price break)?

Because I value the benefits of Steam more than owning a physical copy of the game:

1) 3 click install
2) No need to use or keep track of a disc
3) Automatic patching
4) Steam integration (and no need to setup a custom shortcut for a non-Steam game)
5) No need to go out to a store and buy it.
6) I get the game on launch day (if the retail version ships on the release date, I likely won't get it until 1-2 days later)

Owning a physical disc is mostly an inconvenience for me. I'll never trade-in or get rid of PC games, as they tend to not be worth much. Shelf space is at a premium at my place, and if I had a case for every one of my 500 games on Steam, I wouldn't have any place to put them.

Tailer

Hmm just wondering but when they mean DRM free on retail version do they mean that you can play the game without DVD or do you still need to play it with the DVD? Hate when games does that especially when your registering a product online(looking specifically at blazblue).

Calling it now. People who buy the game on day one will find out that it actually has always online DRM.

Can't trust Ubisoft when it comes to the PC.

Dion

Banned
Because I value the benefits of Steam more than owning a physical copy of the game:

1) 3 click install
2) No need to use or keep track of a disc
3) Automatic patching
4) Steam integration (and no need to setup a custom shortcut for a non-Steam game)
5) No need to go out to a store and buy it.
6) I get the game on launch day (if the retail version ships on the release date, I likely won't get it until 1-2 days later)

Owning a physical disc is mostly an inconvenience for me. I'll never trade-in or get rid of PC games, as they tend to not be worth much. Shelf space is at a premium at my place, and if I had a case for every one of my 500 games on Steam, I wouldn't have any place to put them.

I have yet to find a game not in-stock at a retail store on launch day. That is a publishers worst nightmare.

The Hermit

Rayman Origins for PC, holy shit took it long enough!! but Ubisoft...no DRM?!WTF is going on today? What a wierd a day, Ono's best troll so far, good Nintendo news...

epmode

I wish someone would explain to idiot publishers that third party activation means absolutely nothing when it comes to Steam. I mean, Steam already requires you to activate most installed games so why should we be saddled with an additional point of failure? $1000 says that TAGES dies before Steam.

And who still buys PC games at retail? I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS PUBLISHER.

edit: Really, someone explain this to me. Is it planned obsolescence? Surely they realize that by releasing a DRM-free version to retail, pirates won't even have to bother downloading or cracking the TAGES version... Why would they go out of their way to screw with the only people who are guaranteed to have paid for the game?

silent-hill-3-old-man.gif

The Hermit

That's a very stupid move.
Damn you, Ubisoft, you were doing just fine, for once.
Why do I need to choose between a DRM free retail or a TAGES-plagued Steam version?

the funny part is that the retail version will be pirated, both versions will bomb and Ubi will say "see, that's why we won't release PC versions anymore"

Nabs

Is this the 3-activations-and-rebuy DRM?

I wonder if Amazon will remove it.

We won't know until release. EA uses Solidshield as well, but it's only as a way to activate your games. There are no limits as far as I know.

Ubi uses Solidshield to fuck with you.

I don't know, Ubisoft is known for using DRM all the time. How's this surprising? Especially for a highly pirated game like Rayman.

We won't know until release. EA uses Solidshield as well, but it's only as a way to activate your games. There are no limits as far as I know.

Ubi uses Solidshield to fuck with you.

EA Solidshield gives 5 activations, but they can be revoked easily. Ubi Solidshield activations are permanent, if Anno is any indication.

1-D_FTW

the funny part is that the retail version will be pirated, both versions will bomb and Ubi will say "see, that's why we won't release PC versions anymore"

Yeah. Ubi does nothing but piss people off. Make it Steamworks (with no other DRM) and you're celebrated. Who wants to buy retail (in America)? Will they even sell this game at retail in the US? So put no DRM on the version that's easily trade-able with friends, and the one that's tied to your valuable Steam account, that's the one that gets the lock downs on casual trading. SMH. So much incompetence.

I don't know, Ubisoft is known for using DRM all the time. How's this surprising? Especially for a highly pirated game like Rayman.

Retail versions of games are usually the versions which appear on torrent sites. The retail version of this game has no DRM at all.

Digital versions of games rarely end up on torrent sites. The digital versions of this game use a limited activation DRM system.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Makes no sense. Pirates will go wild, and legit bros will be left with a DRM-infected product. Weird.

Eusis

Yeah. Ubi does nothing but piss people off. Make it Steamworks (with no other DRM) and you're celebrated. Who wants to buy retail (in America)? Will they even sell this game at retail in the US? So put no DRM on the version that's easily trade-able with friends, and the one that's tied to your valuable Steam account, that's the one that gets the lock downs on casual trading. SMH. So much incompetence.
I THINK it's supposed to be, if they confirm a retail release here (even if it's limited to Amazon or something) I'll reconsider skipping the PC version in favor of the Vita version. Or at least if they don't put any extra DRM on the Steam version because, seriously, it's fucking Steam. Don't be dumb about this!

Shiggy

What I don't like about Steam is when you don't have internet access. Wanted to play some games on the train yesterday, but of course, for enabling the offline mode you need to connect to the Steam network. WTF?

What I don't like about Steam is when you don't have internet access. Wanted to play some games on the train yesterday, but of course, for enabling the offline mode you need to connect to the Steam network. WTF?

Once only. If you simply restart in offline mode immediately after installing it on a new PC you shouldn't have any problems starting it in offline from then on.

Shiggy

Once only. If you simply restart in offline mode immediately after installing it on a new PC you shouldn't have any problems starting it in offline from then on.

Could you explain that a bit? I couldn't even start the Steam client and I've used the offline mode in the past already.

scitek

Yeah, it's supposed to be that way, but if I reboot and try to enter offline mode without connecting first, I get an error and can't play anything. It's broken, hence why I keep no-DVD cracks handy. You can swap .exe's back and forth without trouble.

Could you explain that a bit? I couldn't even start the Steam client and I've used the offline mode in the past already.

You should be able to go offline without an internet connection once you've gone offline with an internet connection available. Are you sure you've successfully gone offline on that PC in the past?

Offline mode has never been an exact science but it's been working well for me for about a year now.

Yeah, it's supposed to be that way, but if I reboot and try to enter offline mode without connecting first, I get an error and can't play anything. It's broken, hence why I keep no-DVD cracks handy. You can swap .exe's back and forth without trouble.

I didn't know about the reboot thing, I never shut my PC off though.

Shiggy

You should be able to go offline without an internet connection once you've gone offline with an internet connection available. Are you sure you've successfully gone offline on that PC in the past?

Offline mode has never been an exact science but it's been working well for me for about a year now.

So I need to go offline while having an internet connection? There's no way around that?
Not that I ever bought anything on Steam, it's just the Humble Bundle games, but that's pretty tiresome. I don't understand why people like Steam DRM when it's still a bit shitty with offline mode.

So I need to go offline while having an internet connection? There's no way around that?
Not that I ever bought anything on Steam, it's just the Humble Bundle games, but that's pretty tiresome. I don't understand why people like Steam DRM when it's still a bit shitty with offline mode.

Because it affects almost nobody? I use offline mode extensively without problems. It's obviously not perfect but I swear the "offline mode is mildly inconvenient" thing is the last card in the pack.

ezodagrom

Yes, Rayman Origins PC should be available on all e-shops including Steam; and no, it won't include any "complicated" DRM
https://twitter.com/#!/RaymanGame/status/162594401070223360

Only an activation key for the downloadable version, the retail version will have none
https://twitter.com/#!/RaymanGame/status/162596931888091136

I now have confirmation that the #RaymanOrigins #PC #preorder offer (free Rayman 2 download) will also be available on Steam!
https://twitter.com/#!/RaymanGame/status/163915278449782784

So uh...just sayin', guys, but if I wanted this game on PC and I didn't want DRM, I'd just buy the retail version.

That doesn't seem too difficult...

Top Bottom