• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Gonna grab this avatar.

jDoEptzJElzmw.jpg

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Very nice OT guys, good job. :)

Already preordered my CE for the PS3, just hope Amazon will be quick as usual with shipping.

And I'm gonna try playing with this

222728706.jpg

just to see if it's as better than the DS3 as in the 2D fighting games.

Yes, I have this pad and I love it for all my fighters. Works great with the pc as well!

Anyways, I'm pretty psyched for tuesday. Pre-ordered the PS3 CE. I got owned the last time I played it though, at the gamestop expo. I lost to a girl D: (though i'm pretty sure she was one of those employees who got to play the game all day!). Was fun though, didn't like playing with the 360 analog stick, so I'm glad I made the decision of going with the ps3 version this time around, since DOA is one of those series that I just can't play with a stick.

Nice OT.

Still hoping for some post release swimsuits for the dudes. Don't let other companies show you up at your own game Tecmo!

Dantis

Been waiting for a new DOA for about 7 years. So yeah hyped!

I really thought 4 wrapped it all up, but I guess I was wrong. ;)

At this point I'm preparing myself for possible disappointments. Here's my list so far:

- System voices are either not included or are DLC like on an ASW game

- Net code sucks

- Dragon Kick isn't unblockable (All my tears!)

- The new balance means that I'm terrible because I can't employ cheap tactics to win.

As you can see, I'm mostly grasping at straws. I NEED TO BRACE MYSELF THOUGH OTHERWISE I'M JUST SETTING MYSELF UP FOR A FALL.

Daigoro

is this the first DOA to have more than 3 buttons for commands? or am i remebering wrong? been a while since ive played a DOA game.

not sure if i like the controller layout.

Ken

Honestly only bought this for the swimsuits. 3D fighters have yet to click with me like 2D fighters but hopefully this game might.

Endo Punk

Honestly only bought this for the swimsuits. 3D fighters have yet to click with me like 2D fighters but hopefully this game might.

3D fighters tend to click to me a lot more. I do enjoy 2D fighters like KOF and especially GG but I rather have the environment play a bigger role; side stepping, ring outs, hazzards just adds an extra element of challenge which I thoroughly enjoy.

Is there a list of characters that are missing from this game? I see Leon isn't in, but I feel like there is more im missing.

It really sucks for me because Leon was one my mains!

Dantis

Is there a list of characters that are missing from this game? I see Leon isn't in, but I feel like there is more im missing.

It really sucks for me because Leon was one my mains!

Leon, Ein and Tengu. Raidou and Genra too, technically.

Leon and Ein weren't included because they're too similar to Hitomi and Bayman, I believe.

Galdelico

I'm also really hoping the netcode won't suck, but there's one little thing that left me a tad disappointed: single player contents don't seem that beefed up, considering what Team Ninja stuffed into Dimensions and also the fact it's such a long time we wait for a new DoA on home consoles.

The OT doesn't mention (so I assume this stuff isn't in the game) any Challenge/Trial Mode, or Model/Figurines viewer, no art-galleriers, no Theater... Wouldn't like to find out DoA5 kind of poor and underwhelming in terms of SP modes and unlockables/goodies.

I hope my online experience is gonna be better than TTT2, it takes a really long time to find an oponnent. I find oponnents faster in VF5:FS. :/

Dantis

I'm also really hoping the netcode won't suck, but there's one little thing that left me a tad disappointed: single player contents don't seem that robust, considering what Team Ninja stuffed into Dimensions and the fact it's such a long time we wait a new DoA on home consoles.

The OT doesn't mention (so I assume this stuff isn't in the game) any Challenge/Trial Mode, or Model/Figurines viewer, no art-galleriers, no Theater... Wouldn't like to find out DoA5 kind of poor and underwhelming in terms of SP modes and unlockables/goodies.

There's story, arcade, survival and time attack. Story mode also has mission mode for completing sub-achievements within the stories, such as getting a certain number of cliffhangers attacks and the like.

And there is a model viewer, and a theater for viewing saved replays (If that's what you're referring to?). In terms of unlockables, it'll likely be costumes and system voices, like in the previous game.

Leon and Ein weren't included because they're too similar to Hitomi and Bayman, I believe.

Hmmm, less than I thought, its really only Ein and Leon then. That still sucks for me though, haha.

Oh well, like you said, I can use batman instead of Leon, and it looks like Mila will have some thing im looking for too. Plus she's sexier than Leon ever was. :p

Galdelico

Story mode also has mission mode for completing sub-achievements within the stories, such as getting a certain number of cliffhangers attacks and the like.
That's nice, didn't know about it.
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I really enjoyed the Challenge Mode in Dimensions, to the point I kind of gave for granted it would have been thrown in DoA5 as well.

And there is a model viewer.
Ok, that's great, thanks for the info.
And about the Theater I meant it more as in cutscenes/endings viewer.

I'm ok with costumes and system voices, but again after having seen how well it worked (for me at least) the figurines/photo-mode combo in Dimensions, I hoped to find it back here as well.

Dantis

That's nice, didn't know about it.
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I really enjoyed the Challenge Mode in Dimensions, to the point I kind of gave for granted it would have been thrown in DoA5 as well.

Ok, that's great, thanks for the info.
And about the Theater I meant it more as in cutscenes/endings viewer.

I'm ok with costumes and system voices, but again after having seen how well it worked (for me at least) the figurines/photo-mode combo in Dimensions, I hoped to find it back here as well.

Going to be honest: I don't remember a Challenge Mode. What did it consist of?

And I doubt we'll see figurines back, as neat as it would be.

Galdelico

Going to be honest: I don't remember a Challenge Mode. What did it consist of?

And I doubt we'll see figurines back, as neat as it would be.
Yeah, sorry, I called it just 'challenge' but it was the Tag Challenge Mode, that one where you were fighting along with a CPU controlled partner against the CPU in various conditions.

This one.

A couple of more things: do we know if Story Mode will be 'global' and involving some/all characters (just like Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V) and Arcade Mode will have single character's endings?

Moofers

Great OP! Love the relationship flowchart.

I've got my Gamestop CE on pre-order and can't wait to go pick it up. This truly has been the best year ever for fighting games. Now we've got DOA5 to keep the party rollin! Awesome!

Dantis

Yeah, sorry, I called it just 'challenge' but it was the Tag Challenge Mode, that one where you were fighting along with a CPU controlled partner against the CPU in various conditions.

This one.

Ooooh, Tag Challenge. No, don't think that's back.

It wasn't well-recieved.

A couple of more things: do we know if Story Mode will be 'global' and involving some/all characters (just like Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur V) and Arcade Mode will have single character's endings?
Yeah, Story Mode involves everyone. Inclined to say that Arcade won't have any cutscenes or endings at all.

gogogow

Can't wait to play a fighter on a console again. Last one I played seriously was probably SFIV. Got T6 afterwards, but barely played it.

I got DOA5 CE pre-ordered from Amazon UK. I wonder if i'm gonna get the Devil DLC, since they delisted the game. Man, CE should get ALL the DLC anyway :(

fake edit:
Amazon.com explicitly mentions the pre-order bonus, Amazon UK don't, guess not :(

Galdelico

Yeah, Story Mode involves everyone. Inclined to say that Arcade won't have any cutscenes or endings at all.
Same here. Not a biggie, anyway.
Thanks for all the clarifications dude. ^_-

I got DOA5 CE pre-ordered from Amazon UK. I wonder if i'm gonna get the Devil DLC, since they delisted the game.
I noticed the same thing on Amazon.it... What does it even mean? Are the CE's preorders ended for the 360 version but still running for the PS3's? This is the first time I see that happening.

patapuf

Same here. Not a biggie, anyway.
Thanks for all the clarifications dude. ^_-

I noticed the same thing on Amazon.it... What does it even mean? Are the CE's preorders ended for the 360 version but still running for the PS3's? This is the first time I see that happening.

maybe they are sold out?

Galdelico

maybe they are sold out?
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought.

If you search the 360 CE the database doesn't even show it to you, but there's still a link to it on the PS3 version's page. If you click on it says 'you'll be warned when the game will be available' and it all looked a bit odd and unusual to me, that's all.

SkylineRKR

If thats all I don't care anyway. I don't know why Bayman was axed for Leon in Vanilla DoA 2, but I always liked Bayman more. Ein was cool and played him lots in DoA4, but there is Hayate and Hitomi wasn't less cool. Tengu, Raidou and Genra can bugger off.

I just hope Alpha won't be as cheap this time (is she the boss again?).

Dantis

If thats all I don't care anyway. I don't know why Bayman was axed for Leon in Vanilla DoA 2, but I always liked Bayman more. Ein was cool and played him lots in DoA4, but there is Hayate and Hitomi wasn't less cool. Tengu, Raidou and Genra can bugger off.

I just hope Alpha won't be as cheap this time (is she the boss again?).

I think Donovan will be the boss this time. Which would actually be really cool.

alstein

Very nice OT guys, good job. :)

Already preordered my CE for the PS3, just hope Amazon will be quick as usual with shipping.

And I'm gonna try playing with this

222728706.jpg

just to see if it's as better than the DS3 as in the 2D fighting games.

It is. I used that pad for KOF, since I can't play KOF on a stick. It's the best pad since the Saturn pad.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm also really hoping the netcode won't suck, but there's one little thing that left me a tad disappointed: single player contents don't seem that beefed up, considering what Team Ninja stuffed into Dimensions and also the fact it's such a long time we wait for a new DoA on home consoles.

Story mode has challenges to get titles. You can take pictures of your replays and not everything has been revealed by TN on terms of game modes afterall they haven't talked much of the other modes besides the fighting.

Also Arcade (Multiple ladders of difficulties Very Easy, Easy,Normal , etc.), Survival (10, 30, 50 etc) mode apparently works like DOA:D

Gallery- Your own pictures will do.

There are 4 unlockable character and plethora of outfits to unlock (Dimensions has less unlockable outfits and the final numbers were thanks to DLC)

*sigh*

I thought the CE was the way to get everything, but apparently not.

Fuck pre-order bonuses.

Oh well, I didn't like the black bunny outfits anyway . . . /salty

Vazra

Non DLC

Hayate - 4
Zack - 4
Tina - 7 (Beat Legendary Arcade Mode for her last one without using continue)
Rig - 4
Eliot - 5
Mila - 6
Lisa - 7 (Beat Legendary Survival Mode for her last one without using continue)
Leifang - 8
Kokoro - 6
Kasumi - 6
Jann Lee - 5
Hitomi - 6
Helena - 5
Ryu - 4
Christie - 6 (Beat Legendary Time Attack Mode for her last one without using continue)
Brad - 5
Bayman - 5
Bass - 4
Ayane - 6
Alpha-152 - 3
Akira - 2
Sarah - 2
Pai - 2

Play Arcade solo, arcade tag, time attack solo and time attack tag with the character you want to unlock outfits for on the easiest setting possible to earn one outfit each time. (In tag, only the P1 character earns an outfit.)

DLC outfits (Including CE and Preorder outfits)
Akira - 1
Ayane - 2
Bayman - 1
Christie - 3
Gen Fu - 1
Helena - 2
Hitomi - 2
Kasumi - 2
Kokoro - 2
Leifang - 2
Mila - 2
Pai-2
Sarah -2
Tina- 3
Zack- 1

Liethe

Heeelll yeah.

I'm barely scratching the surface on starting to learn how to play TTT2 at the moment, yet I couldn't be more excited for DOA5 release. I can't help the fact I love fighting games as a whole!

But there is a special sort of favoritism I have for DOA. The nostalgia of playing DOA1 in the arcades... the countless hours put into DOA2 on ps2. Then Itagaki abducted the series onto the xbox and I thought it was done for after DOA4...

NOPE! dat resurrection.

Gonna play the shit out of this. Got my CE on pre-order! Let's go!

PARANO1A

Story mode has challenges to get titles. You can take pictures of your replays and not everything has been revealed by TN on terms of game modes afterall they haven't talked much of the other modes besides the fighting.

Also Arcade (Multiple ladders of difficulties Very Easy, Easy,Normal , etc.), Survival (10, 30, 50 etc) mode apparently works like DOA:D

There are 4 unlockable character and plethora of outfits to unlock (Dimensions has less unlockable outfits and the final numbers were thanks to DLC)

So how does the single player compare in terms of duration and content to something like MK (loads of unique stuff) or TTT2 (ghosts meaning lots of AI fun plus unlockable customisation options)?

I just realised I've bought every numbered DOA. It's my least favourite of the big fighters but the only one I keep trying to have another crack at. All I recall from DOA4 was that awful boss that made me not want to bother playing any more :- Might as well see how it plays I guess if there's content to keep me entertained.

Dantis

So how does the single player compare in terms of duration and content to something like MK (loads of unique stuff) or TTT2 (ghosts meaning lots of AI fun plus unlockable customisation options)?

I just realised I've bought every numbered DOA. It's my least favourite of the big fighters but the only one I keep trying to have another crack at. All I recall from DOA4 was that awful boss that made me not want to bother playing any more :- Might as well see how it plays I guess if there's content to keep me entertained.

Story mode will probably be five hours-ish, and there'll be at least two unlockable costumes for each character. Survival mode is also really strong in DOA because of the way it's presented (One long match where new opponents just jump into the arena once you defeat your current one). So in terms of single player there'll be a lot more than TTT2, and somewhat less than MK.

Galdelico

Yeah, that all sounds pretty great.

I have so much hope in Survival, speaking about offline modes... It's been such a good time on Dimensions.

Vazra

Each character have around 6 outfits more or less (Obviously you have to unlock some) and if the story is anything like Dimensions 3-5 hours.

I hope my online experience is gonna be better than TTT2, it takes a really long time to find an oponnent. I find oponnents faster in VF5:FS. :/
Heh, I've been finding matches faster in DOA4 than P4:A. I hope that's an indication of how strong the community still is and how active 5's online base will be.

Top Bottom