• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

tsab

The counters feel wierd :s (my last DOA was 2 on DC and the chronicles on 3DS)
Probably is the 360 D-Pad but I couldn't time them.

If the retail version is like this it's a deal breaker for me ;_;

grabbing this

iFodzoZa76vhZ.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Character : Tag partners
Alpha : None
Akira : Kokoro, Pai, Sarah
Ayane : Hayate, Kasumi, Ryu, Jann Lee
Bass : Ayane, Bayman, Rig, Gen Fu, Lisa, Mila, Kasumi, Jann Lee, Ryu, Zack, Tina
Bayman : Christie, Gen Fu, Tina, Bass, Zack
Brad : Eliot, Kokoro, Zack
Christie : Helena, Brad, Hitomi, Bayman
Eliot : Brad, Gen Fu, Lei Fang
Gen Fu: Ayane, Bass, Ryu, Helena, Zack, Kasumi, Lei Fang, Tina, Bayman
Hayate : Ayane, Ryu, Christie, Brad
Helena : Ryu, Christie, Kokoro, Kasumi, Lei Fang
Hitomi : Hayate, Kokoro, LeiFang, Zack
Jann Lee : Rig, Lei Fang, Ryu, Gen Fu, Bayman
Kasumi : Ayane, Ryu, Helena, Zack
Kokoro : Akira, Ayane, Eliot, Hayate, Hitomi, Helena, Lisa
Lisa : Tina, Bass, Hitomi
Pai : Akira, Sarah, Lei Fang
Lei Fang : Pai, Hitomi, Jann Lee, Tina, Helena
Mila : Tina, Bass
Rig : Bass, Jann Lee
Sarah : Akira, Tina, Pai
Ryu : Ayane, Jann Lee, Hayate, Gen Fu, Bass, Bayman, Tina
Tina : Zack, Mila, Bass, Kasumi, Lisa, Ryu, Sarah, Zack
Zack : Bass, Hitomi, Tina, Lei Fang, Ryu, Bayman

tsab

Its the dpad most likely. If you can find a better controller (WWE Brawl Pad works better and only costs $12.99 on gamestop check if they have it in your nearest store or check amazon)

I have a PS3 :p , I played it over a friend with a 360 review copy

Esura

Banned
So, what characters are you guys maining?

I'm thinking of trying Ayane again like I did in Dimensions but for some reason I want to try out Kasumi and Hitomi for some reason.

I'm thinking of trying Ayane again like I did in Dimensions but for some reason I want to try out Kasumi and Hitomi for some reason.
Eliot and Lisa, my two mains from 4. Initially I only picked them because they were near the bottom of the most used/popularity ranking stats and I've a habit of low-tier whoring. They both turned out to be good characters in their own rights, though, and I'm really looking forward to see how they play in 5. The few new combos/moves I've seen of Eliot have left me drooling.

As an aside, I hate his English voice. Too deep and Team Ninja forgot he's British.

Vazra

Kokoro, Eliot and Mila. Will use everyone but those are priorities.

Squire

Banned
Very nice OT guys, good job. :)

Already preordered my CE for the PS3, just hope Amazon will be quick as usual with shipping.

And I'm gonna try playing with this

222728706.jpg

just to see if it's as better than the DS3 as in the 2D fighting games.

How did you get the CE from Amazon?

EDIT: Amazon UK. Nvmd.

Dantis

So just thinking how many costumes we've seen, and unfortunately, for some characters I think we might have seen them all. For example, for Kasumi, we've seen (Spoiler tagged in case anybody cares about these things?)
Hayabusa style, blue, white and black ninja outfits and her kimono.
At most she'll probably have one more? Same with Hitomi, we've seen
tank top, baseball jacket, clown, safari and karate gi
. I think the only characters who are going to offer any actual surprises are Hayabusa and Hayate.

AAK

Good job with the OT. Look forward to playing it. Only ever touched DOA3 and mashed my way for a little bit, here's to hoping it lives up the promise. I plan on entering this, VF5, and TTT2 at Toryuken hopefully.

Fruitster

Ayane and Kasumi were always my mains in DOA3, so i'll start there. But i'm eager to try out everyone, especially the new faces like Mila and Rig.

Vazra

So just thinking how many costumes we've seen, and unfortunately, for some characters I think we might have seen them all. For example, for Kasumi, we've seen (Spoiler tagged in case anybody cares about these things?)
Hayabusa style, blue, white and black ninja outfits and her kimono.
At most she'll probably have one more? Same with Hitomi, we've seen
tank top, baseball jacket, clown, safari and karate gi
. I think the only characters who are going to offer any actual surprises are Hayabusa and Hayate.

There are leaked outfits. Check some of them on link http://imgur.com/a/qthhZ#15

Wow I forgot how good DoA3 looked on the original Xbox, and it was a launch title! It looks like it could be a fighting game on this gens consoles. One thing I do miss is the crazy stages they had. The stages in DoA5 almost look boring in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzBqhw_Ixg
There are some crazy ones (Street Stage & Circus comes to mind) but the game is mostly staying into more realistic/less crazy stuff it seems.

Loona

And I'm gonna try playing with this

222728706.jpg

just to see if it's as better than the DS3 as in the 2D fighting games.

Same here - and after reading about the combinations for hard punches (P+K) and hard kicks (K+H), I wonder if it's possible to map the buttons to have a KoF-ish button config on the hit buttons.

I love the fact that this game actually bothers to have a throw button, since the classic fighting game rock-paper-scissors is attack-block-throw, but the throws nearly always involve using the regular attack buttons. something separate makes more sense to me, and among 3D titles only DoA seems to deliver.

Since I haven't played ince DoA1 in the arcades, barely knowing what I was doing, I do hope I get a grip on the holds system soon enough, coming from an SNK fighting game background, the idea of everyone getting "Geese counters" as a system standard with fairly simple commands is interesting.

I'm not too sure about main yet, but Mila's looking nice and flexible, though I expect to try everyone, and hopefully the single player modes encourage that. Hitomi looks interesting too, though I pretty much only found out she existed thanks to the Dead Fantasy vídeos, since I've been away from the series for so long.

I'm also curious about Hayabusa - surely he doesn't use the sword, but does he have any ability here that he's also had in the Ninja Gaiden series? I haven't played those, but I find it interesting when a character's skills carry over between different genre of games.
He did have this glowing effect in a video during that attack that knocks people into the background, maybe that has a NG base to it?

As for outfits, if it's not hidden somewhere in the game for unlocking, I'd pay a modest amount for a DLC brunette look for Tina that give her one of her arcade DoA1 outfits, swimsuits be damned.

Skilletor

I'm also curious about Hayabusa - surely he doesn't use the sword, but does he have any ability here that he's also had in the Ninja Gaiden series? I haven't played those, but I find it interesting when a character's skills carry over between different genre of games.
He did have this glowing effect in a video during that attack that knocks people into the background, maybe that has a NG base to it?

As for outfits, if it's not hidden somewhere in the game for unlocking, I'd pay a modest amount for a DLC brunette look for Tina that give her one of her arcade DoA1 outfits, swimsuits be damned.

Hayabusa never uses the sword, but a few of his new moves are straight up animations taken from NG2 or 3, he just doesn't use the sword, haha.

Vazra

Same here - and after reading about the combinations for hard punches (P+K) and hard kicks (K+H), I wonder if it's possible to map the buttons to have a KoF-ish button config on the hit buttons.

I love the fact that this game actually bothers to have a throw button, since the classic fighting game rock-paper-scissors is attack-block-throw, but the throws nearly always involve using the regular attack buttons. something separate makes more sense to me, and among 3D titles only DoA seems to deliver.

Since I haven't played ince DoA1 in the arcades, barely knowing what I was doing, I do hope I get a grip on the holds system soon enough, coming from an SNK fighting game background, the idea of everyone getting "Geese counters" as a system standard with fairly simple commands is interesting.

I'm not too sure about main yet, but Mila's looking nice and flexible, though I expect to try everyone, and hopefully the single player modes encourage that. Hitomi looks interesting too, though I pretty much only found out she existed thanks to the Dead Fantasy vídeos, since I've been away from the series for so long.

1 You can change the the controller options to your liking for most of the part
2 The game adds throw button for a shortcut really ( H + P = Grapple)
3 If you want to train with someone online and you have PSN hit me up we can train a bit.
4 Hitomi is a very beginner friendly character so she can be a good Start up Character. Can't talk for Mila since I havent played her.
5 He has the Izuna Drop and his Power Blow is a Ninpo
6 Depending the interest of the fans there might be DLC Outfits, Stages and Music.

Dantis

A lot of Hayabusa's moves are carried over from Ninja Gaiden, but adapted for punches and kicks. It's very cool.

alstein

For those worried about button mapping- the game uses the button changing system used in Skullgirls/Arcsys games, the one games SHOULD be using, so changing buttons will be easy.

xion4360

A lot of Hayabusa's moves are carried over from Ninja Gaiden, but adapted for punches and kicks. It's very cool.

You have to remember that Ryu Hayabusa was in Dead or Alive since the beginning, before Ninja Gaiden on Xbox came about. So its really the other way around.

As or who's my "main" its still Kokoro, I also play Kasumi, Ayane, Hitomi, Eliot and Lisa pretty well, and everyone else on an average level. Rig and Mila looks great especially Rig, ill probably pick those up, and Pai.

Vazra

Swimsuits better be available as DLC day-1, or I'm going to be very sad.

I think they will come later so be sad since there is no announcement at the moment of when are they gonna be released. XD

You have to remember that Ryu Hayabusa was in Dead or Alive since the beginning, before Ninja Gaiden on Xbox came about. So its really the other way around.
Ninja Gaiden on NES sir but I get you about the 3D part translating into 3D Ninja Gaiden XD

Wow I forgot how good DoA3 looked on the original Xbox, and it was a launch title! It looks like it could be a fighting game on this gens consoles. One thing I do miss is the crazy stages they had. The stages in DoA5 almost look boring in comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzBqhw_Ixg
Wow, indeed. First time seeing DOA3 in years. I didn't realize how far ahead its graphics were. 2001? Jeez. I also miss the stages. The ice cavern was amazing. Punching your opponent through giant ice shards never got old. And the endless cliffs? Ugh, nostalgia is killing me. So many awesome stages and amazing costumes that won't make a return.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ninja Gaiden on NES sir but I get you about the 3D part translating into 3D Ninja Gaiden XD

And Ninja Gaiden arcade before the NES version, but that doesn't matter. He's talking about the Team Ninja version of Ryu Hayabusa, who "first" appeared in DOA1.

Vazra

And Ninja Gaiden arcade before the NES version, but that doesn't matter. He's talking about the Team Ninja version of Ryu Hayabusa, who "first" appeared in DOA1.

I know :p

I made the note that the DOA Ryu is the one translating moves to Ninja Gaiden 3D. XD

TreIII

Awww yeah.

Been a long time coming, but now my one true 3D fighter love is coming back. And I couldn't be happier.

Dantis

Technically it goes both ways. Remember Hayabusa got a massively updated moveset in DOA4.

Doesn't matter of course, my point is that there is indeed move consistency across the games.

Anyone willing to trade preorder bonus for 360 version? I'm getting the white bunny bikinis (getting Gamestop exclusive CE edition) but really want the black bunny bikinis (Amazon preorder), mainly for Tina. Any takers?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tina's loss pose in the GT preview...

This will be the first fighting game I will really dedicate myself to. Even losing has it bonuses.

Vazra

Looking forward to this! Hopefully it doesn’t disappoint me like Soul Calibur V did.

SCV problems with me.

-Some characters replaced by new ones I found more annoying than anything
-Half assed Story mode and horrible at it (You can google around and find that wasnt what they wanted to do but they were rushed)
-Lack of Game Modes. Seriously the single player modes sucked ( No missions like SC2 or like 3) I don't even remember much the modes in it.
-Patch did more damage than good.

Top Bottom