• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Just returned Halo 4 and put the credit towards Black Ops 2.
iS0Fm4OpkRXGi.png

RIP Halo.

acevent2.jpg

Dang, mr. 2.4 K/D ratio dongblainer and you're still not having fun? Hard to please!
farewell halogaf brother <3

I am not going to abandon HaloGAF, I still like this community. My presence here will just be much less. I tried so hard to like this game... maybe in a few months I will come back and enjoy it. Right now, money is tight, and I don't need to hold onto games I am not enjoying.

Do you really think they are going to fix a lot of the crap in this game? They take forever to fix shit historically and even when they do they are fixes that noone asked for or care about compared to bigger issues that go unanswered.
As of right now I'm just assuming, whether right or wrong, that 343 updating Reach's playlists and what not, was not an immediate concern with work on Halo4 taking more of their time. It may be the "good 'nuff!" excuse, but I have more confidence in 343 putting more care into their baby as opposed to cleaning up Bungle's Reach messes. We'll see.

Woorloog

Banned
I have what I think could be a better solution to what global ordnance is now. I posted it in the last OT.

And PV needs to get nerfed or removed. It's just too overpowered.

PV does not kill people. I've yet to lose against someone due to them using PV... One shot kill weapons do kill me but PV is irrelevant, those weapons kill me anyway.
Camo blocks PV. Holo looks like real thing in PV. There is a perk that makes you invisible (nearly anyway) to PV. PV user reveals his location by using the AA.
OP? No. Good, useful but no OP.
Camo and jetpack are far more powerful, and even those don't guarantee victory.

Ramirez

So did anyone else get absolutely worked last night in the King of Hill playlist getting matched up against Tashi, Omlet, Ram and Nutter?

No time in the hill, and went 5 and 11. Ouch. haha

Awesome, what map was it on?

EazyB needs to be unbanned and post a new HaloGAF list.

I witnessed EazyB's retirement from Halo last night, RIP indeed.

Since it seems everyone hates the game here, maybe the place will thin out and be readable again soon!

Also, got my A40's today,woooooooooooooo!

You're not getting that because you're obviously not a part of one. I can't imagine the game being the way it is now being viable for MLG, but if you want to go even deeper than that how about all the people who loved race and had communities built around that? That's pretty much gone because they took out the race gametype.

I don't get what they put in for the sake of taking these things out. Was race really taking up that much space on the disc or something?
Race is being improvised as we speak by the Rocket Race people. KOTH options seem to be working, or so I've heard.

I am a part of a forging community, and I haven't touched Halo 4's forge mode yet because I'm irritated with the missteps Certain Affinity made with the mode. I'll get around to it eventually, once I figure out what type of maps will work best for these new gametypes.

DeadNames

Banned
PV does not kill people. I've yet to lose against someone due to them using PV... One shot kill weapons do kill me but PV is irrelevant, those weapons kill me anyway.
Camo blocks PV. Holo looks like real thing in PV. There is a perk that makes you invisible (nearly anyway) to PV. PV user reveals his location by using the AA.
OP? No. Good, useful but no OP.
Camo and jetpack are far more powerful, and even those don't guarantee victory.

It's the balance factor.

Why should I have to sacrifice a perk to counter PV?

Why would I use a tiny little horizontal boost when I can see through walls?

Why would I deploy a useless little bug thing when I can see through walls?

And all this talk about BlOps2... CoD MP... Just no. That's bad territory for me.

Proelite

Anybody interested in going through the campaign on Legendary with some skulls on?

Mainly Thunderstorm, Tough Luck, Mythic, Tilt.

I usually play from 10PM - 1:AM PST.

Ken

Thank you 343i for releasing SWAT and killing the TS Pro population. I've never seen it less than 10k since launch and now it hit 5k while SWAT has like 46k playing.

:(

Havok

Pretty curious to see when 343 starts switching maps around for their playlists. I don't think most of their midsized maps are being utilized properly. For some reason, Ragnarok is small enough to be used for 5v5 CTF but Exile isn't? Why are Complex and Abandon, two fundamentally asymmetric maps, used for a symmetric gametype? I'd like to see those two removed (because playing CTF on them is a horrible experience) and have them replaced with a no-tank no-banshee Exile variant, a Haven variant (to be the Multi Flag Midship equivalent), and maybe a Longbow variant.

Risen

A good amount. I've broken through a good amount too though.

I have found your ceiling... 35 times and counting. Missed a killpocalypse today going double assist double assist double assist in a Koth game. Someone teach me to kill steal?

BigShow36

I can't fathom how some of you put up with Reach for it's entire lifespan but give up on Halo 4 after a week.

At least I'm consistent with my hate.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think people are being overly dramatic.

Yup.

If we weren't only a week out from launch I might have been upset at the way the playlist/gametypes are managed now. But...

As fun as this game can be, I don't consider it Halo. It's not really dramatic, it's just the way people feel. This game is quite a departure from previous entries in the franchise, and it seems that some long time fans just aren't passionate.
I can't fathom how some of you put up with Reach for it's entire lifespan but give up on Halo 4 after a week.

The base game is much better than Reach, but with all the nonsense thrown in, it's only marginally better as a whole. There's not much keeping me invested in the Halo franchise with 2 weak games in a row (aside from campaign). Main reason I play now is because of the community.

GhaleonEB

I'll do the gameplay later. But in short, my take on Halo 4's story.

First, they did a great job establishing and building characters. Aside from Johnson, the Chief and Cortana, Bungie didn't really create any human characters that resonated with me, or even had clearly defined character traits. They were just kind of there.

Laskey (sp?), the asshole captain of the Infinity and a few other side characters felt much more authentic. It was helped by excellent voice acting, but the added animation detail sold a lot of nuance as well. I have a lot of problems/questions with the actual story, but the way it was told is really commendable. As a side note - having Taylor and Downes record their lines together paid dividends. Their relationship was the heart of the story and it worked.

I also enjoyed the way the Chief was portrayed, in particular his physicality. This the first game where you really feel like a walking, powerful tank of a man. It was sold in game and in the cinematics very well. In particular, the way the Chief inspired both awe and apprehension - even misunderstanding - in those around him was very well done. 343 captured what it means to be a Spartan from more angles that Bungie ever attempted.

That said, I was disappointed in the story on multiple fronts. I'll spoiler tag here strategically. I know this could go in the story thread or the OT or wherever, but here I am.

When 343 first revealed Halo 4, and we saw what we now know was Requiem, I got excited to explore the place. What was Requiem? What was its purpose, who built it, and why? So I was surprised at the total lack of curiosity about those questions; I still don't know what Requiem was for. It was just a setting.

The first part of the story sets up the urgency with which the Chief wants to get Cortana to Halsey and get fixed up. Then we meet the (spoilerz!)
Didact, and Chief&#8217;s motivation shifts to stopping him. But that shift took place before I had any idea what the threat was, and I didn't follow how they knew what it was either. It was just some dude in a huge ball with Force powers. So there was this long period of time in the Campaign when I was confused about why he took priority over saving Cortana; it was established why saving Cortana was critical long before I knew why stopping the Didact was more important.

And then we get to the (spoilerz!)
Didact himself. There was a lot of build up, but I'm still not sure I follow anything about his story. Why was he locked up, and why on Requiem? Why did he immediately turn to zapping humans? Why did he have Force powers? The Didact in the books is not an evil character, though that could be taken as a matter of perspective. But if they wanted the Didact's motivations to be understandable from a certain point of view, why make him look and sound like a clichéd villain?

Also: Why was the Librarian also there - what's she been up to, she wasn't locked up - and why did she only appear that one time? What did she do to the Chief, and why didn't she tell him or us what she did? And why did she disappear after, and where did she go? I thought her cameo and actions were downright comic.

And as for the ending:
What happened when the Chief triggered the bomb? That scene with Cortana confuses me greatly. I have no idea what time/space continuum it takes place in, why the Chief wasn't nuked, why Cortana could touch him, and why after she goes away the Chief is still floating and in good shape. I just didn't follow that at all. I assume it's related to the little unexplained static charge the Librarian hit the Chief with, but I need more to go on than that.

I also laughed out loud when the multiple Cortanas arose from the bridge to snare the Didact. Something about the image was random and comic to me and it just didn't work.

So, yeah. I didn't care for the actual story, which was a big deal considering how high 343 raised the stakes in the story, on both personal and galactic levels. Their story telling has come a long ways, but the actual story left me unsatisfied and baffled.

I have all but one termnal unlocked on Waypoint, but have not watched them.

Tunavi

Banned
I just played 3 games in a row on the level of reach.

Fuck ordinances and fuck the DMR and fuck the laser and fuck instant respawns

sticking to slayer pro from now on

daedalius

Awesome, what map was it on?

I witnessed EazyB's retirement from Halo last night, RIP indeed.

Since it seems everyone hates the game here, maybe the place will thin out and be readable again soon!

Also, got my A40's today,woooooooooooooo!

Don't count on it!

They explain quite a bit, it would have been better if they had been more integrated within the game.

Woorloog

Banned
It's the balance factor.

Why should I have to sacrifice a perk to counter PV?

Why would I use a tiny little horizontal boost when I can see through walls?

Why would I deploy a useless little bug thing when I can see through walls?

And all this talk about BlOps2... CoD MP... Just no. That's bad territory for me.

For the record, i don't use any PV countermeasures and i have zero problems with PV. And i do not use it myself. And still have no problems.

The shield is, IMO, far more useful. Someone shooting? OK, i'll just activate the shield and walk behind a wall, re-charge and attack.

Pop

As fun as this game can be, I don't consider it Halo. It's not really dramatic, it's just the way people feel. This game is quite a departure from previous entries in the franchise, and it seems that some long time fans just aren't passionate.

The base game is much better than Reach, but with all the nonsense thrown in, it's only marginally better as a whole. There's not much keeping me invested in the Halo franchise with 2 weak games in a row (aside from campaign). Main reason I play now is because of the community.

Marginally Better? Can't be serious

Reach was the one that didn't deserve the halo title but people still played that mess well after the fact of knowing it was terrible. H4 is easily better then the last 2 main installments of the franchise. Baffles me how some people give up so quick. Core gameplay is great, just needs to be sorted through playlist/gametypes and that will happen in time.

DeadNames

Banned

Reach was the one that didn't deserve the halo title but people still played that mess well after the fact of knowing it was terrible. H4 is easily better then the last 2 main installments of the franchise. Baffles me how some people give up so quick. Core gameplay is great, just needs to be sorted through playlist/gametypes and that will happen in time.

This x 10000.

I just played 3 games in a row on the level of reach.

Fuck ordinances and fuck the DMR and fuck the laser and fuck instant respawns

sticking to slayer pro from now on

What playlist did you play?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
how far were you?
I had completed it on Heroic. I guess I can start the Legendary run, but this is the first time I've ever had a save file break this generation. Lucky me I guess.

My Spartan (load out and armour) was also reset to default, but luckily I've kept my rank and unlocks. Isn't this stuff supposed to be stored online/in my profile? I know I can load Halo 3 anywhere and keep my settings.

I also laughed out loud when the multiple Cortanas arose from the bridge to snare the Didact. Something about the image was random and comic to me and it just didn't work.

So, yeah. I didn't care for the actual story, which was a big deal considering how high 343 raised the stakes in the story, on both personal and galactic levels. Their story telling has come a long ways, but the actual story left me unsatisfied and baffled.

I was expecting something like this, but no.....

Fracas

#fuckonami

Halo 4 fixed a handful of issues from Reach, yet at the same time it introduced a bucketful of completely new ones.

Think people are getting tired of waiting around chasing the ghost of a good game.

Gotta face it Halo is dead, they killed it hard. I'd love to shake all of their hands and say congrats "What part of Halo did you kill?"

Developers gotta stop spending hours figuring out what store gets to give away which skin and armor and how much the DLC they already have made is going to cost and what the release schedule will be to compete with upcoming games. They gotta focus on making their game the best possible, start it from the best possible foundation and then make the best they can from that, not sacrifice the quality of the foundation so they can cut corners make it look as pretty as possible so they can get their 9.8 from IGN.

They gotta stop that catty, petty, childish, shit, release the whole game, that actually comes with a manual! That doesn't require you to eat shitty food to level up quickly to unlock all your stuff...They need to give you the game WHEN you buy it. Don't hook us on Season Passes so we buy the Limited Edition, and then have to wonder what we even get with our extra spent money. Don't send a box to press that has a can of Mt Dew people cant drink and a pack of Doritos. Send shit to fans.

Yes its a business but you dont have to slap us in our faces with your big corporate dick, just sell us a video game, were all going to buy it anyways. No fucking morals.

Whatever I'm dramatic, I'm allowed to be because I used to fucking love Halo. Now, not so much...Go look at my games played H2 ~10000, H3 ~8000, Halo Reach ~6000. H4? I might make it to 1000 before completely calling it a day.

TheOddOne

BTB does suck, but unfortunately a lot of the game is devoted and geared towards it.
You know the setting (Ordnance system, instant respawn) they have right now I really don't mind, but the same setting just do not work in others. Should have kept the others classic.

GhaleonEB

Reach was a long period of raised and then dashed hopes. Maybe once Bungie fixes the horrible launch playlists, it will get better. Maybe when the community maps hit we'll get some decent maps. Maybe when the DLC hits, it will be integrated in a way that lets us play them. Maybe Bungie will dial back on things like drop shields in objective games in a timely manner. Maybe Reach will stop being so bad, some month....

...and then the TU from 343 raised hopes again. Maybe they will fix armor lock and bloom and camo and melee and vehicles and nope. Maybe they will take a more detailed approach to playlist management and address what issues still can be addressed. Oh, we have BTB Heavies now. Nope.

Eventually I gave up and the proportion of my time spent with Firefight rose from half, to most, to all. Then the Firefight playlists I played got deleted.

Enter Halo 4. Maybe Promethean Vision will get neutered and flinch pulled out and the ordnance system fixed and maybe I'll just be able to sit down and play a full game from the beginning when I want to. Maybe BTB objectives will land, rather than the mess that is Infinity Slayer as the only BTB option. Maybe the excessive vehicles and DMRs will get pulled out of Valhalla. Maybe instant respawning and broken kill cams will get fixed. Maybe theater will get added to Spartan Ops, and video rendering, and file share outside of the game - soon.

Maybe. I hope so. But after two years of "if only they did XYX the game will be better" and those things not happening, I'm not going to hold out as much hope this time around. The core game is solid. But as Juices said, we don't play the core game, we play all of it. And that tasty cake down there is being crushed under and avalanche of excessive icing and shiny toppings.

343 is doing some things right, such as cleaner playlists and (hopefully) faster updates. But I'm just going to take a break and come back later to see if things are cleaned up, rather than keep playing and hope for the best this time around, since outside of that core we can&#8217;t isolate, I&#8217;m having only an intermittently good time.

Does that help clarify at all?

Just played through Episode 2.
God, the Covenant missions everything that is wrong with the design philosophy of Sp Ops. It so quickly devolves into FRG Elites, dieing and throwing yourself at the wall of enemies as more drop in, one hit kills with constant, visual and aural taxation from explosions and gun fire.
My god, why? Such potential.

It does make me look forward to the Promethean levels, they're much more manageable and interesting.

Shocked how 343I have managed to make Covenant far less fun to fight.

Karl2177

I'm just genuinely curious; for anyone to answer. Did you actually feel like there was a lot to explore on Requiem? Did you get a sense of mystery or a sense that there was something greater going on?

Maybe I'm the only one in this regard, but Halo has always been moderately grounded in science fiction. I really feel like it's moving away from the science aspect of science fiction.

who else is getting blops 2 aside from me and juicy?

I've been doing the math in my head. $30 dollar trade-in value for Halo 4, + 30% traded towards new game($9), plus 10% for Power-Ups card($3). Seems like a good deal!

I'm just genuinely curious; for anyone to answer. Did you actually feel like there was a lot to explore on Requiem? Did you get a sense of mystery or a sense that there was something greater going on?

Maybe I'm the only one in this regard, but Halo has always been moderately grounded in science fiction. I really feel like it's moving away from the science aspect of science fiction.

There was that one part early on Mission 2, then it slowly died down.

Havok

I really didn't, at least not after the first hour of the game. I detailed why in this post (some spoilers in there, up to the end of Mission 4). There wasn't much time to breathe and wonder what was going on...apart from general confusion about what was actually going on.

Top Bottom