• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Tunavi

Banned
Quick list, no idea if I'll make a bigger one later and I'm likely echoing earlier sentiments from a lot of people here:

Campaign:
It's short, 5 hours or less
Took me 11 hours on legendary
guys, remember, when you're using your phone to take pictures of your TV so you can share screenshots
I have a wallpaper folder of off-screen photos of my favorite campaign sections!

Aberrant

Right, now everyone just goes off and kills. There's less need for the "hey, could you sit in base with the shotgun?" conversation. No, how about we all play the fun part of the game—the part where you're fighting for that flag delivery with teamshots and glory.

And hey, I played Assault back in the day. I was all about crouch walking and trick jumping my way into that Burial Mounds base like it meant something, but at the end of the day, I enjoyed the winning more than the game. Now I can play Halo objective gametypes and not be angry about losing so much, because so few tedious moments of my life were invested.

This is a game after all. More time shooting the stuff, please!

Team Objective or Team Skirmish, for reference, was a nightmare to me. All I ever wanted to play was 2-Flag. Halo 3 teased me with a hopper. I may have saw it momentarily in Reach. But otherwise, it was this smattering of horrible Assault matches where one of my friends has the task of carrying around the boring-bomb. Wee!

And thats just it. Some people enjoy the Halo which is not just shooting things. Some people like forge, some people like using the vehicles to pick up the flag carrier. Some people like the thrill of hiding in the base with the flag. Some people even liked firefight and the challenges that had.

And it seems that 343i catered to one crowd, the crowd that likes to shoot things. The good things is is that the problems they have encountered with that can be fixed e.g OP DMR.

In Halo 2 many people would grab the bomb, flag, territory, now its all about the "pew pew pewing". Makes me feel sick to see where the series is at today.

FyreWulff

the playlist manager/team has the most direct influence on your day to day enjoyment of the game. therefore you are not allowed to know who they are and they will not explain any of the logic behind choices or reveal long term plans for updates

Didn't I suggest a playlist management blog as a section of Halo Waypoint? why is there zero transparency with this stuff? completely bizarre. hire juices for real, at least he knows how to play Halo.

Considering the shit they have to put up with being named, you're not really going to see them explicitly named ever again in my opinion. Even though they're just the head of the matchmaking team.

And people take it too far each time someone else takes over the playlist management duties.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Took me 11 hours
You're kidding right?
Pro vision might be a good tactic to defeat campers, but it gives the user a huge advantage over all other players as well.
The issue with Promethean Vision is that it is essentially the Radar overpowered:
  • It gives exact location information without one having to refer to the small radar icon in the bottom left corner and so one's peripheral vision never changes for a second
  • To a degree reveals the enemy players weapons
  • Has a much wider range than the Radar

It really becomes a large nuisance on certain maps such as Adrift which features a mix of tight corridors and wide open spaces or Solace which is cross-map camping shootouts.

Considering the shit they have to put up with being named, you're not really going to see them explicitly named ever again in my opinion. Even though they're just the head of the matchmaking team.

And people take it too far each time someone else takes over the playlist management duties.

OH NO SOMEONE IS BEING MADE FUN OF ON THE INTERNET!

No really, the president puts up with a lot of shit. We should just not release who won to the public. Because of his feelings.

You're kidding right?

He played with his feet. Legendary No Deaths.

This post...jesus christ.

Jetpacking around the map breaks the map movement.

Pro vision might be a good tactic to defeat campers, but it gives the user a huge advantage over all other players as well.

I play regicide because I love FFA. Sometimes I don't have teammates online that I can play with.

Weapon spawns are random. You never know what's coming or where they will be.

Just because something isn't "gamebreaking" doesn't mean its not worth fixing.

Double melee doesn't work will long halo's killtimes. its not close to "perfect" at all.

Jetpacking breaks map movement? It also "introduces new map movement." Really, all armor abilities "break" some aspect of the game. That's the fun part about them. The trick? Play the playlists that don't have armor abilities. There are three of them. Or bump around in Customs. Tons of gaffers here hate armor abilities, too! I personally enjoy the game "breaking" sandbox.

I'd respect your feelings about jetpack or even camo if you didn't hate on PV. PV is such an overrated ability. I've never felt like I died to someone because of PV. It has a huge cooldown. If you think it's giving you a distinct disadvantage, you're welcome to wait for the ping to go away, or even use it yourself. I use PV on Dominion because people camp bases. I'm glad it's there.

And yeah, it sucks that there isn't a better playlist catering to solo players. I've always felt that Halo by yourself was poor, though, again. I play it for the teamplay. For the social aspect.

Weapon spawns aren't totally random. If the Rockets spawn, they spawn in the same place. If the Sniper Rifle spawns, it spawns in the same (or one of two) places. Go check out Forge. Camp Binary Rifle spawn or Incendiary Cannon spawn, with an eye to the other locations. Run with the Rogue (?) spec that lets you anticipate what's coming. It's not a complete gamble, and I like that it's not a certainty, either.

And again, how many melees should it take to kill someone?

Maybe a update blog would be nice but why does the actual person need to be named?

They don't really. A blog with a couple of handles is fine. Shishka was fine, I didnt need to know he was Jeremy? Jeremiah? Whatever. I just would like updates with an internet persona.

You're kidding right?

The issue with Promethean Vision is that it is essentially the Radar overpowered:
  • It gives exact location information without one having to refer to the small radar icon in the bottom left corner and so one's peripheral vision never changes for a second
  • To a degree reveals the enemy players weapons
  • Has a much wider range than the Radar

It really becomes a large nuisance on certain maps such as Adrift which features a mix of tight corridors and wide open spaces or Solace which is cross-map camping shootouts.

Cross map it's a nuisance? Have you used PV? It's terrible at long distances. You burn the whole ability and then you've got like a minute cooldown before you get to maybe see where someone across the map is again.

Tunavi

Banned
Jetpacking breaks map movement? It also "introduces new map movement." Really, all armor abilities "break" some aspect of the game. That's the fun part about them. The trick? Play the playlists that don't have armor abilities. There are three of them. Or bump around in Customs. Tons of gaffers here hate armor abilities, too! I personally enjoy the game "breaking" sandbox.

I'd respect your feelings about jetpack or even camo if you didn't hate on PV. PV is such an overrated ability. I've never felt like I died to someone because of PV. It has a huge cooldown. If you think it's giving you a distinct disadvantage, you're welcome to wait for the ping to go away, or even use it yourself. I use PV on Dominion because people camp bases. I'm glad it's there.

And yeah, it sucks that there isn't a better playlist catering to solo players. I've always felt that Halo by yourself was poor, though, again. I play it for the teamplay. For the social aspect.

Weapon spawns aren't totally random. If the Rockets spawn, they spawn in the same place. If the Sniper Rifle spawns, it spawns in the same (or one of two) places. Go check out Forge. Camp Binary Rifle spawn or Incendiary Cannon spawn, with an eye to the other locations. Run with the Rogue (?) spec that lets you anticipate what's coming. It's not a complete gamble, and I like that it's not a certainty, either.

And again, how many melees should it take to kill someone?
By flying up into the sky to have a major headshot hitbox advantage against those below and basically being to go anywhere other players can't, thats introducing map movement that breaks map movement.

Your counter to me not liking Pro vision due to it being OP is to use it myself? That's not how it should work. Sorry you don't find it OP but many people here find it unbalanced.

Your solution to working with the new weapon ordnances is to camp random drop locations? I thought you didn't like campers.

You make no sense.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Cross map it's a nuisance? Have you used PV? It's terrible at long distances. You burn the whole ability and then you've got like a minute cooldown before you get to maybe see where someone across the map is again.
I meant that Solace is a cross-map camping shootout, I did not mean that players use it cross-map. I've had more than enough players turn it on the moment I got near them and most players just flick the ability on and off.

orznge

Banned
someone give me one good reason why noclip with a cooldown with the name "Promethean (something)" should not be in Halo 5

TCKaos

Damn this is really awesome lolol.

ALso http://de.twitch.tv/bazza87 join the fun, a AI played Wrestling Tournament with lots of Videogame Characters created in the editor of the game, it is soooo good.

I'm still disappointed that Ezio and Scorpion got to the finals yesterday. Looks like Gaben will have to shine another day.

EDIT: OH SHIT AVGN BY PINFALL. Someone should tell him.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dominion really needs a group to play it. Day 1 it was a dong fest. Now it's teams steamrolling pubs even with truskill it seems.

I was gonna try and get that commando helmet unlock, but fuck that.

So I realized that I've been playing on 3 sensy the whole time. Bumped it up, Donging/Diaper Time is back!

-------------------------

7H 17M for Heroic solo campaign for me.

Heroic took me 9 hours. 5 seems a bit underselling. I'd say 7-8 average on normal.

Heroic with having to replay mission 2 due to a game crash took me 5 hours and 10 minutes or so.

Not too taxing and could have been a little longer. However the story and cutscene qualit more than makes up for it for me. They could have had more on requiem in my opinion and I would have liked a little less "on the rails" star wars and mammoth missions but I'm curious what legendary solo will provide. Starting that tonight.

willow ve

So I'm absent from xbox live for about 10 days due to life. No big deal.

Sit down, load up Spartan Ops. I can't match into Episode Two? The fuck is this? A gametype designed around cooperative play and I can't find people to play it with. The fuck. Is this ODST Firefight? Do I need to go to the Waypoint forums to see if anyone wants to play?

Eh, who cares, let's just go play Infinity Big Team. What. The. Fuck. Is. This. Camo crouching and DMR fights across maps? Being shot by invisible spartans who are standing behind rocks anyway with just the very top of their head visible? This is three weeks out form launch and anything on Ragnarok is broke. Simply broke. Whoever thought Camo would be a good loadout for multiplayer should be fired. Then hire the guy from Bungie that came up with this idea to replace that idiot. And then fire his ass too.

How did all of this happen.

Also - nice list Plywood.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Isn't there an hour or so worth of cutscenes? No idea if that factors into the Campaign time but I imagine it does.
Heroic took me 9 hours. 5 seems a bit underselling. I'd say 7-8 average on normal.
I recall a good number of posts in the H4 OT stating 5 hours and a quick google search for "halo 4 campaign short" also brings up other people on various sites stating that the campaign is short.

5 hours what the fuck.

Heroic took me 8 hours. Then Legendary took me 10 hours. And that was fighting everything without skipping any encounters etc.

If yall actually shot everything and didnt skip anything, then some of yall are fucking superhuman or some shit running through in 5 hours.

Karl2177

I need to find myself a new hobby if people like "Digital Limit" are the average player and think that actual bad design is good.

5 hours what the fuck.

Heroic took me 8 hours. Then Legendary took me 10 hours. And that was fighting everything without skipping any encounters etc.

If yall actually shot everything and didnt skip anything, then some of yall are fucking superhuman or some shit running through in 5 hours.

I honestly wonder if people saying that the Campaign is so short are using cheap combos like PP+DMR/BR/etc, and actually not skipping encounters.

Omni

6 hours 15 minutes first time on Heroic and 10 hours 20 min on Legendary (I was just taking my time witht that though.

Getting through the whole thing in 5 hours is a bit odd. You'd miss so much, IMO.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I honestly wonder if people saying that the Campaign is so short are using cheap combos like PP+DMR/BR/etc, and actually not skipping encounters.
So people are supposed to play a Campaign a certain way now? To get the "right" length? Don't make me laugh.

So people are supposed to play a Campaign a certain way now? To get the "right" length? Don't make me laugh.

I just dont see the fun in running through and skipping any encounters you can. If people enjoy that well thats fair enough.

But if people are claiming they killing everything and clocking in under 5 hours, thats just fucking madness.

5 hours what the fuck.

I don't really take vehicles at all and I don't speed run skip anything at all.

I do change out human weapons for the enemy weapons as Halo campaign has always rewarded this play. Also the noob combo speeds up killing Knights and Elites. Tactics are usually back up when crawlers flood an area, take out the watchers immediately, switch to secondary headshot weapon to take out crawlers and then drop that weapon out for plasma pistol to finish up elites or knights. You can drop knights and elites first if you want but make sure you then stay on top of watchers so you never have to repeat kill resurrected enemies. Speeds things up again.

Pro Tip: knowing when to throw around extra ammo or weapons while you walk to the next sections speeds things up as well.

I'm not saying that. But you can't bitch about a campaign's length when you're using the gun combo equivalent of a win button.

Every response I've seen to "Legendary is wrecking me", or "Heroic seems a lot harder" has been "Just use plasma pistol, and headshot the Knights", etc.

It's a legitimate way to play, sure. But having that same go-to combo completely negates the point of having a big weapon selection like Halo does.

I do change out human weapons for the enemy weapons as Halo campaign has always rewarded this play. Also the noob combo speeds up killing Knights and Elites.

Pro Tip: knowing when to throw around extra ammo or weapons while you walk to the next sections speeds things up as well.

This is the only thing that actually let me pass the last part of the game. Keeping a binary rifle and scattershot close by was extremely helpful.

I'm not saying that. But you can't bitch about a campaign's length when you're using the gun combo equivalent of a win button.

Every response I've seen to "Legendary is wrecking me", or "Heroic seems a lot harder" has been "Just use plasma pistol, and headshot the Knights", etc.

It's a legitimate way to play, sure. But having that same go-to combo completely negates the point of having a big weapon selection like Halo does.

This is the only thing that actually let me pass the last part of the game. Keeping a binary rifle and scattershot close by was extremely helpful.

Well when legendary suddenly turns enemy weapons into cannons, and mine into pea shooters, the sandbox kinda gets turned to shit.

Korosenai

These last few pages have been most excellent.

Tonight is the first night where I'm only going to play about two games and get off. The DMR, camo, boltshot, etc. are just pissing me off too much.

Well when legendary suddenly turns enemy weapons into cannons, and mine into pea shooters, the sandbox kinda gets turned to shit.

The game throws some pretty decent weapons at you when they're needed. SAWs, Incinerator Cannons, Grunts with fuel rod guns, etc. The Knights die pretty quickly to Suppressor fire.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I just dont see the fun in running through and skipping any encounters you can. If people enjoy that well thats fair enough.

But if people are claiming they killing everything and clocking in under 5 hours, thats just fucking madness.

When you're playing a higher level of difficulty there is no point in embracing the sandbox for the sake of embracing. You do what is most efficient, besides, all I know is that a fair number of people on the vast web are saying that the campaign is short, even by Halo standards.

Besides Reach and 3 had much more difficult levels and moments in their campaigns on Legendary.

I do change out human weapons for the enemy weapons as Halo campaign has always rewarded this play. Also the noob combo speeds up killing Knights and Elites. Tactics are usually back up when crawlers flood an area, take out the watchers immediately, switch to secondary headshot weapon to take out crawlers and then drop that weapon out for plasma pistol to finish up elites or knights. You can drop knights and elites first if you want but make sure you then stay on top of watchers so you never have to repeat kill resurrected enemies. Speeds things up again.

I didnt utilise the noob combo at all in the campaign, probably should have. The weapon juggling from previous encounters is a lifesaver towards the end.

I just really enjoy the campaigns so much. Done em all Legendary and did Reach with all the skulls. For some people its all about MP and just want the achievements or whatever.

People can play how they want. I just cant fuck with that skipping battles shit.

Sai-kun

Banned

Legendary solo, roughly 7:30. Not too far off the mark, I can't see the campaign lasting longer than 7 or even 6 hours with more than 1 person.

I can't wait for next generation console Halo 5 to remove this cheap campaign tactic of overpowered enemy weapons and bullet sponges.

It's going to be insane with finally having some hardware resources to increase AI, numbers of enemies and generally have more intelligent and meaningful combat.

The game throws some pretty decent weapons at you when they're needed. SAWs, Incinerator Cannons, Grunts with fuel rod guns, etc. The Knights die pretty quickly to Suppressor fire.

That was another one on the hit list...I did use the suppressor against knights a bit too, even against crawlers at points too.

I didnt utilise the noob combo at all in the campaign, probably should have. The weapon juggling from previous encounters is a lifesaver towards the end.

I just really enjoy the campaigns so much. Done em all Legendary and did Reach with all the skulls. For some people its all about MP and just want the achievements or whatever.

People can play how they want. I just cant fuck with that skipping battles shit.

I just cannot bring myself to play SLASO as I find it too tedious, never enjoyed all skulls. I don't enjoy bullet sponges on one enemy for more than one clip of DMR/BR so hence the noob on those guy half to most times I encounter them.

My first run took 6:30 on Normal, and I actually fought in most encounters. One thing I've noticed about 4 which is kind of nice is that the levels are enormous but few, and to compensate a LOT of encounters are skippable of you try hard enough. I don't remember any other campaign with anywhere near as many places you can straight-up cheese, save for Halo 2.

malfcn

WP is garbage. The page loads, and as I start reading your page, it decides to break.

1y48w.png

Top Bottom