• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Edit: Wow, top of a new page huh? This thread has been moving quick...

Are all your characters female?

Surprisingly no, which is unusual for me in MMOs. In other games, the male characters tend to all be the same body type; big, muscle-bound he-men. It makes playing a magic user or thief strange because those are usually wizened / lanky. Female characters tend to fall into the same trap, but at least they're a little closer to normal than most; yes, they have supermodel figures, but at least they're not giant beefcakes.

In GW2, I actually have an even split; 4 males (Human Warrior, Asura Engie, Charr Warrior and Sylvari Necro) and 4 females (Human Guardian, Human Ele, Asura Mesmer and a Sylvari Thief). I don't play the Charr much though (I rolled him to play with my brother) and the Sylvari is only level 1, squatting on a name. If I roll a norn, it'll probably be a male too.

Sophia

I have an even split right now. Human Guardian and Human Thief (both female) and Asura Warrior and Charr Enginner (both male)

My elementalist doesn't count. :p

Levyne

Banned
Since we are sharing, my main is male, alts are female, except some level 2 necro that I have who is also male..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amazing sequence at the bottom of last page, lol

edit: I can't bring myself to play a female character in any game where the character is my character. I wish I could operate under the assumption that everybody played the gender they identified with in real life but it is certainly not to be.

Reddit released traffic stats:
traffic by month
date uniques pageviews
June 506,858 7,515,281
May 510,134 7,459,087
April 506,750 7,041,244
March 534,952 7,762,003
February 502,911 8,365,035
January 606,790 9,878,387
December 540,880 9,840,301
November 676,281 12,121,734
October 891,382 17,725,718
September 1,420,454 26,856,448
August 1,249,595 21,279,107
Matches up precisely with what we've heard from ArenaNet about the in-game population, and really is just pretty impressive all around... the Dec->Jan especially plus Feb->March, and Apr->May are great stuff.

Levyne

Banned

edit: I can't bring myself to play a female character in any game where the character is my character. I wish I could operate under the assumption that everybody played the gender they identified with in real life but it is certainly not to be.

It seems silly perhaps but that's why I main males.

Sophia

I make one character that is simply suppose to be me. This usually ends up my main. In this case, it's my Guardian, previously my Elementalist. The rest of my characters are all roleplayed, each with their own history, character, and story.

Complistic

I make one character that is simply suppose to be me. This usually ends up my main. In this case, it's my Guardian, previously my Elementalist. The rest of my characters are all roleplayed, each with their own history, character, and story.

This is also what I do. Drake is the one i identify with. However I have more fun playing Necro so she sorta took over lol.

Was only asking the members with anime character avatars but nooo you all had to chime in to let me know your character gender distribution.

Ps. I have 3 male characters because I am a man.

Retro

That was always my logic in past games, except that the customization options were so limited that I couldn't get close enough. Even GW2 is off; I have much more facial hair than their thin goatee.

I tend to roll with whatever names I can get; I have a bunch I like to use repeatedly if at all possible (Celene, Eresia, Retro) and since most of my characters in the past have been female, I kind of grabbed a lot of female names.

xeris

Six of my characters are male and 5 are female. Oddly enough both warriors and both elementalists are female. I usually don't roll a new toon until I have both an idea what I want to accomplish with them and a backstory or hook that makes them interesting to me beyond their stats. That hook usually helps determine the gender and race of a particular character.

Retro

wat9sz81.jpg

Backpack Straps (from Rox's Quiver set) + Engineer's Packback + Transmutation Stone = Guardian with a backpack.

Too bad the hair clips through it, but it's kind of cool that you can give an engie pack to any other character.

nataku

Hope the BotFW achievements persist through the election.. just noticed that the Like Clockwork was once per day. Wish they would have put that in the description.

Ashodin

Hope the BotFW achievements persist through the election.. just noticed that the Like Clockwork was once per day. Wish they would have put that in the description.

They do. Every starting month patch overlaps with the halfway through the month patch. Then everything disappears when the August patch rolls around.

Kite

My heavy armor classes are always male, females always look like they are wearing metal bikinis. My cloth wearers are always female, guys usually look like they are wearing bath robes. Leather armor looks good on both sexes so I have a male thief and a female ranger.

Trey

So I buy Dark Souls, boot it up, install Durante's fix, play for a few, go "this is pretty nice (aside from the screen tearing)," then shut it off and start playing GW2.

Lunar15

I think the only thing I want updated at this point is a toggle to turn off the aegis glowy shield thing for guardians, since that automatically appears whenever you unsheathe your weapon.

Totally ruins screenshots and stuff. I mean like, come on people. This is important stuff.

nataku

Naw, I have a male Asuran Thief (the only character to use my GAF name) and a male Charr Engineer. I do have 3 female Humans though and one female Norn.

Could have just made a female Asura. Not like there's much of a difference, lol.

Ashodin

I think the only thing I want updated at this point is a toggle to turn off the aegis glowy shield thing for guardians, since that automatically appears whenever you unsheathe your weapon.

Totally ruins screenshots and stuff. I mean like, come on people. This is important stuff.

go get hit by an enemy jesus

but seriously though, first world guardian problems. I have em.

Reknoc

Could have just made a female Asura. Not like there's much of a difference, lol.

I did consider it, but the Asuran Thief was what I'd settled on way before release (ignore that it was like, my 4th or 5th alt). Gotta be male and gotta have my main ID because it was going to be the one I relate to most (I'm also a hideous imp)

So. The Living Story.

Before coming to Guildwars 2, I’ve played a bunch of MMOs, the ones I’ve spent the most time at “endgame” were World of Warcraft (vanilla, TBC) and Star Wars: The Old Republic. When I started out in GW2, one of the complaints was that this game as no “endgame”.

This is nonsense.

The other games I’ve played have all fallen into a pattern: Level to the cap and then you have a choice of three options.

1) Join a raiding guild and progress linearly though a series of gear checks until you run out of game/a new gear check is released.
2) PvP and run the same four battlegrounds until the expansion, grinding each new set of gear that comes out to keep on a par with the people who choose 1)
3) Leave/level alts (the same thing really).

Worse, there’s a deliberate gear separation between the people who choose 1) and 2) with a special PvP stat which means you are progressing down two forks in a path – if you wish to switch to the other you basically have to start all over again.

Since I tried raiding in vanilla WoW and found it a singularly dull experience I tend to go for PvP. This means my evening becomes:

1) Log in.
2) Check to see who from my small group of “premade” buddies is on, maybe do dailies (once they are introduced).
3) Chill in the queue in the capital city.
4) Enter one of ~4 battlegrounds and play one of the 2-3 strategies that work, hopefully steam-rollering the enemy.
5) Goto 3)

Repeat until I find another game.

A lot of time is spent not playing the game – waiting in queues, waiting for people to log on. I have no choice in activity.

Given by the people standing in the capital cities, I know the routine is basically the same for PvE players, except that their instances are longer than ours.

And then there was Guildwars 2.

Guildwars 2 has two games – the SPvP game, and Guildwars 2. I tried the former for a bit at release but I really disliked it. I’m not going to go into detail here, but the loss of the trinity, short time to kill and poorly designed maps really pissed me off.

The actual main game however is amazing at end-game, and here’s why: When I log in to one of my level-capped characters, I have a choice of things to do. In fact I have far too much choice.

I can go into WvWvW which has taken all the best aspects of AV in WoW, and turned them up to 11. It’s no secret that this is my first love in the game. I love being part of huge, organised epic battles. I love being part of small groups capturing camps. I love hanging out with 40+ other people from around Europe on Teamspeak with their accents and humour and the feeling of server camaraderie that the system entails. It is amazing to me that I can feel such loyalty for a server that I picked essentially at random. I love getting up at 8:30am on a Saturday, logging in and playing with people who’ve been fighting all night. The only time I don’t like WvWvW is when the tensions in the server community fracture it – this has happened a couple of times, at least once was entirely ArenaNet’s fault.

But I’m not trapped in WvWvW by my own progress.

I can (and do) go out into the world and join what are in effect impromptu raid groups to kill giant world bosses. The world is beautiful and challenging, even at 80. The gear that is awesome for my characters in WvWvW is also awesome in PvE. I’m not wasting stats on a stat that only works in PvP (you may argue that vitality and toughness are less useful in PvE, which is true, but they still do something). There’s a still a huge map to explore. I’ve not linearly progressed through zones whilst levelling so I’ve not been everywhere, and downscaling means that lowbie areas while not a challenge are not a case of walking through one-shotting everyone.

Part of this is something I keep mentioning – once you are kitted out in the “right” exotics stat-wise for your build, then you don’t really need to get new gear, except possibly for agony resist if you want to run fractals and even that is a small number of items. Almost all of the rewards are appearance only and that’s wonderful as you don’t have to do any activity that you don’t want to do.

And now there’s the living story. Every two weeks there’s something new to do as well. Sometimes its buggy. Sometimes it’s frustrating (I’m being driven insane at the moment by the need to get 250 fortune scraps for a helmet before the current event disappears, only 43 to go!). Sometimes it’s a grind. Sometimes I’ll have no interest at all in that fortnight’s activities (e.g. Sky Pirates).

However, it’s always a new thing, even when all that is is a new grind sending you somewhere else you’ve not been before. The system encourages and rewards you for trying something new. There are always new mini-games and PvP events with new mechanics to learn. Things to gather in zones you’ve not explored. A couple of weeks forming impromptu groups to fight giant karkas and liberate camps. A couple of weeks doing super adventure box or whatever.

It’s actually at the point where there is always too much to do. When I log in I have to choose how I’ll use the next two-three hours. And that’s great. There is sometimes a short term monotony, but it’s never long term. About the only quibble I have is that I’m not convinced that it’s great that once an event is “over” the content goes away (it’d certainly make the grind less frustrating if that wasn’t the case) but I understand why that is. I have two week’s leave coming up. Previously, this has meant I do other things during the day and play my current MMO in the evening. I know (from Christmas experience) that this will not happen with GW2. There will be too much to do and not enough time.

There’s been some criticism that the Living Story is hard to market in comparison to an expansion. I don’t care – I’m a player, that’s not my problem, that’s ArenaNet’s. I would rather have new interesting stuff every fortnight than a level gated expansion every year.

Sure I gripe sometimes, what MMO player doesn't? This game has the best, most varied and most engaging end-game I’ve ever been given. It’s wonderful.

kanamechan

So, I thought a bit about coming back, Engineer's probably the best bet. I thought of what to do. I like dungeons (fractals probably too), so maybe there's a way to get a build that somewhat works there without being a total pain for said team!

Basic idea: Stack Vulnerability for the team, use bombs to stack might (firefield+finishers), take stuff down.

Is this good enough for an Engineer, or wasting potential of the class? :eek:

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator...7.cg.67|u58b.k57.0.0.k69|0.0|2c.2f.2s.2e.30|e

Retro

Long post.

This is a good post, and you should feel good. I remember sitting in queues all day too, especially since I rolled Horde on an aggressive PVP server (Jaedenar) and stomped the shit out of the Alliance any time they stuck their head up in battlegrounds (Especially AV). It got to the point where they organized on the forums and boycotted AV, leading to multi-hour queues. Fun.

Um. YEP. Blog post is up everybody!

LkPr

Teaser headlines:

Progression Advancement
New Skill and Traits
Rewards
Champion Rewards
Dungeon Complete Bonus Rewards
New Crafting Material Rewards
Account Magic Find
Salvaging Fine and Masterwork Items

Crafting Taken to 500!
At 500, crafters will be able to craft ascended weapons and armor

Legendary Gear and Precursors

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I agree with all that stuff Follower said o_O To a tee.
So, I thought a bit about coming back, Engineer's probably the best bet. I thought of what to do. I like dungeons (fractals probably too), so maybe there's a way to get a build that somewhat works there without being a total pain for said team!

Basic idea: Stack Vulnerability for the team, use bombs to stack might (firefield+finishers), take stuff down.

Is this good enough for an Engineer, or wasting potential of the class? :eek:

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator...7.cg.67|u58b.k57.0.0.k69|0.0|2c.2f.2s.2e.30|e
I'm still an Engi newb, but I think that build with either Soldier's, Knight's, or a Berserker split would be totally valuable and hella survivable in dungeons.
Oh wow, that is early as hell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New skills and traits unlockable through gameplay is pure horizontal progression, I am all about it

Champion Rewards sound raw as hell, I shall become a bounty hunter

Retro

Well, some folks are going to be happy, and some folks are going to be looking for new gear;

As such, we’ll be removing magic find entirely as an item stat and turning it into account stat that improved the odds of rare drops for all your characters.

Never should have been an item-based stat to begin with, glad they're not afraid to remove something already well-established from the game. This speaks well of other things that seem 'too big to remove'.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yup, that's ballsy but awesome as well. A great sign both of the scope they're not afraid to impose and taking the greater good into consideration.

LkPr

In order to make playing all of our unique dungeons more rewarding, we’ll give you a bonus gold reward for each dungeon path you complete each day. Coins will be removed from the current bosses (replaced by the champion reward box listed above) to coincide with this bonus payout for completing each path. Completion rewards will be guaranteed, and we’ll vary the amount of gold earned based on difficulty and length of each dungeon path.
To encourage players to participate in a wider array of dungeon content, we’ve designed the system so if you complete the same dungeon path twice in one day, you’ll receive the normal reward for completion, but won’t receive the bonus gold reward again during that day.

so long CoF p1...

Retro

since i'm bored at work... anyone want the entire blog copied/pasted here?

Sure;

Looking Ahead: Guild Wars 2 in 2013
by Colin Johanson on July 17, 2013

In January, we talked about where we wanted Guild Wars 2 to go in 2013. We’re a little over halfway through the year, and we felt it was time to give you an update on where we stand, where we’re going, and discuss in more detail some of the systems you’ll see in the second half of 2013.

Living World and the Two-Week Release Schedule
At the start of the year, we talked about the Living World in Guild Wars 2 as a new initiative; a plan that we wanted to expand and grow, learn from, and make more frequent and larger in scale as the year progressed.

We’ve learned a lot so far this year, resulting in our recent announcement of our new cadence of bi-weekly major releases for Guild Wars 2 and our goals for the future of Tyria as a living world. We’ve also transitioned from our original single Living World team, which operated with very short turn-around time for most of the first half of the year, to four Living World teams for the second half of the year. This will allow our teams a much greater amount of time to both develop and polish the content that drives the theme of each of our releases.

Our Living World releases will expand on the promise of what it means to be a continually growing game. In the future, you’ll see a wider array of content and experiences in each release, with a greater focus on permanently expanding content. We’ll go into specifics on the variety of playable content you’ll be receiving as each update approaches, but some of our focuses will include improving our existing world bosses, continuing to update and refine our dungeons and fractals, creating world events with a larger and more permanent impact, and expanding the number of dynamic events across the world.

On top of all of this, look for the return of some of your favorite holiday festivals and super adventures mixed in among our Living World updates, though the focus for the second half of the year will be on a mix of permanent and more impactful content.

So outside of new playable content in the world to experience, what else will you be seeing?

Progression Advancement
One of the core points we addressed back in January but didn’t provide specifics on yet related to progression.

We’ve seen a lot of questions in regards to this after the release of ascended gear: What will the core reward system be for Guild Wars 2 in the future after ascended gear has all been released? We specifically said we don’t want to get caught up in the trap where every 3-6 months the game adds another tier of gear to the game; that invalidates all your hard work and the rewards you’ve earned.

So what are we going to do instead?

New Skill and Traits
We’ll begin regularly adding new skills and traits to the game for each profession to expand your characters and builds! You will be able to earn these new traits and skills by unlocking them. To go along with this, we’ll expand the content and options to earn skill points to help encourage players to experience different challenges and content throughout the world. These skills and traits will be designed to be balanced with the existing skills/traits we currently have in the game, and will simply compliment and expand the range of abilities and tactics available to each profession. Both WvW and PvE players can acquire skills and traits, and additional means of earning skill points will be addressed for both core content areas.

The regular addition of skills and traits that you can earn as you play provides us an extremely stable, easily expandable reward system that fits neatly into the pillars of progression and advancement that Guild Wars 2 are all about. Your character will be able to grow and change for years to come without invalidating everything you’ve earned so far.

Rewards
One of the main areas of focus for our blog at the start of the year was rewards. We’ve already rolled out some of the core systems we discussed back then: rewards for daily/monthly achievements, the ability to choose between achievements, the account achievement reward system, the guild mission reward system, mega-event reward chests, expanded ascended gear/infusions, and progression rewards in WvW.

Despite all of these new reward systems, we still have a lot of work we want to do to help ensure playing every aspect of our game truly rewards the time and effort put in. So, what’s coming? Let’s dive into the details:

Champion Rewards
Champions in the game will be updated so each will always drop a guaranteed reward box for any player that qualifies for a reward from the boss. This chest will contain things like crafting materials, skill points, unique skins, lodestones, and more. This change will make champions more rewarding, and will make playing in Orr and Southsun Cove (where events can scale up to add champions) more exciting and fruitful for guilds and players joining together in the open world.

In order to make playing all of our unique dungeons more rewarding, we’ll give you a bonus gold reward for each dungeon path you complete each day. Coins will be removed from the current bosses (replaced by the champion reward box listed above) to coincide with this bonus payout for completing each path. Completion rewards will be guaranteed, and we’ll vary the amount of gold earned based on difficulty and length of each dungeon path.

To encourage players to participate in a wider array of dungeon content, we’ve designed the system so if you complete the same dungeon path twice in one day, you’ll receive the normal reward for completion, but won’t receive the bonus gold reward again during that day.

New Crafting Material Rewards
We’ll also add a new set of account-bound crafting materials to the game. You’ll receive these materials as guaranteed rewards once per day per unique location for completing content within a category of gameplay in Guild Wars 2.

For example, capturing camps, towers, and keeps in WvW will earn you these crafting materials. In the Living World, you can earn them for killing giant world bosses, defeating dungeons, completing jumping puzzles, completing mini-dungeons, finishing some types of guild missions, capturing temples in Orr, and other activities.

Mix it up and try your favorite mini-dungeons one day, your favorite jumping puzzles the next day, and on an another day capture supply camps in WvW instead to earn the crafting material. Or if you want to do all three in one day, the choice is yours! Players can earn each of these guaranteed reward crafting materials from a variety of content across both PvE and WvW to give players choice in what type of content they enjoy.

Account Magic Find
We want to remove the choice players are currently being forced to make on their gear: “Do I go with better stats, or better loot?” This isn’t in the spirit of cooperation that Guild Wars 2 is all about. As such, we’ll be removing magic find entirely as an item stat and turning it into account stat that improved the odds of rare drops for all your characters.

You can improve your account magic find through the account achievement reward system and from consumable items found in game. As your magic find increases, it will require more consumables to keep raising it higher. In the near future, we’ll detail the system we’ll use to replace the existing magic find items. Our goal will be to have as little disruption as possible to those who currently own items with a magic find stat on them.

Salvaging Fine and Masterwork Items
Otherwise known as blues and greens, we want to give more reason to care about these item types when they drop. When the account magic find system is implemented, there will be a chance you can acquire account magic find consumables from salvaging both fine and masterwork items.

Crafting Taken to 500!
We’ll expand all crafting professions to allow them to reach a new milestone: 500 points!

At 500, crafters will be able to craft ascended weapons and armor. Once you reach 500, a new tier of crafting materials will be available to you; this new tier of materials will be made by combining lower tier materials. This tier is time-constrained, so each item can only be made once per day in order to help give high-level crafters their own economy of items to build and sell that retain their value and rarity.

This new tier of crafting material, along with the new guaranteed material rewards mentioned earlier and some other materials we’ll introduce will be used to craft ascended weapons, armor, and more. These weapons and armor will also be able to be found as rare drops from locations in the world. Ascended weapons and armor will remain account-bound like other ascended gear.

Legendary Gear and Precursors
We aren’t quite ready to go into all the details here, but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013. Building your precursor will require a large amount of the new crafting material rewards listed above, 500 in crafting, and likely a combination of other items earned for completing more specific content in the game.

In addition, we’ll also improve the functionality of legendaries, allowing you to set their stats when out of combat to any stat combo available, so you don’t need to transmute stat changes for legendaries. Legendary gear will remain with the same tier of stats as ascended gear and will not be made more powerful than other gear, it will simply be slightly more convenient since it will no longer need transmutations to change stats.

What About World vs. World?
So far this year WvW has seen some major updates: from the removal of culling to the new progression, reward and ability system, our WvW population has been rapidly on the rise since January.

Our WvW team coordinator Devon Carver did a fantastic job summarizing where we want to take WvW in the future in his blog here. One additional exciting release you’ll see on top of the high-level notes Devon called out in his blog post is the replacement for the original WvW orb mechanic in our borderlands maps. This change should provide more diversity in the gameplay of WvW and make our borderlands more exciting. Of course, everything I’ve talked about in terms of progression and rewards in this post so far will be available in WvW as well!

Wow This Got Long—What About PvP?
The addition of custom arenas, rated play, leaderboards, and spectator mode have already been big steps for Guild Wars 2 PvP in 2013. Going forward, we’ll continue to work with and support the rapidly growing competitive PvP community with our eyes towards an extremely exciting future as we work towards solidifying the base. We know we have a lot of work to do to continue that momentum and ensure our PvP experience is everything we ever wanted it to be, so what are some of the things we have coming to get there?

The major focus of the PvP team for the second half of the year will be tied to improving the sense of reward in PvP. In the spirit of the high-level strategy listed above for PvE/WvW rewards that ensure players feel rewarded for their time, we’ll need to build systems that achieve the same goals in PvP. Our PvP team will go into more details on these systems once they are further along.

The addition of new skills and traits on a regular basis will of course mean expanded variety of abilities, builds, and tactics in PvP as well. As these additional skills and traits are added, they’ll be automatically unlocked and available for competitive PvP just like all existing skills/traits work today.

We’ll also expand the competitive options for game play: providing a queue and leaderboards for solo rated play separate from team rated play, adding new map types, adding the ability to gain legendary weapon skins in PvP, providing additional rewards and growth to our major competitive PvP tournaments, hosting our own Year One PvP Championship at PAX, and more!

What Else is the Game Doing to Grow?
At well over 3 million copies sold in the US, Europe and Australia combined, Guild Wars 2 has had an amazing first year, but we have a long ways still to grow.

Many of the core regions for online gaming are on deck to join the Guild Wars 2 community in the years ahead and grow our base to new heights.

We’ve already done our first limited beta test in China, with future tests planned to help prepare the game for release with our incredible partner there, Kong Zhong. To prepare the game for its eastern release, we’re building a new comprehensive “level zero” optional tutorial that teaches the core basics of the game. We’re also adding new story steps at levels 5 and 10 to help better teach core mechanics as players grow. We will also be adding a much better hints system, and a new level-up messaging system all to better teach the game.

All of these systems will be added to the game not just in the east, but to help future new players in the west as well.

And So Much More to Come…
From the upcoming release of our brand spanking new Looking for Group (LFG) tool, to investigating ways to limit culling in PvE, to the two-week content schedule our Living World teams have in store, the second half of 2013 has countless more exciting new things in store for our players than I can possibly cover here. As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.

We hope you’re excited as we are about where Guild Wars 2 is going in the second half of 2013. The world of Tyria is in for one hell of a ride in the months ahead and we hope you join us to experience it—you’re not going to want to miss it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't even describe how much I love this one
(Dungeon paths) Completion rewards will be guaranteed, and we’ll vary the amount of gold earned based on difficulty and length of each dungeon path.

so long CoF p1...
Actually the beauty of it is that CoF1 will be marginally less profitable but still profitable indeed for the psychos who wish to farm it, whereas all of the dungeons where time vs. reward was completely out of whack are suddenly on the table.

For someone who enjoys running nearly every dungeon path because he enjoys doing so, this is outrageously good stuff. Incentive to clear full dungeons in the same day, do the longer and more painful paths that are never touched... hit Arah regularly rather than like pulling a tooth...

edit: ArenaNet no longer refers to the "open world." Everything is the Living World.
Our goal will be to have as little disruption as possible to those who currently own items with a magic find stat on them.
The mind boggles, how

The one thing I'm incredibly unsure about is the new 500-level crafting of Ascended weapons and armor. Great that they'll be craftable in the first place, but if they're account-bound does that mean this is the only way to get them besides "rare drops from locations in the world" (and how vague is that by the way)? Will they follow some new naming scheme or be sort of unique like all the trinkets, with flavor text? And... skins? So many questions, and I'm a little sad they didn't go my proposed route for ascended armor. But it does sound like they've put a lot of thought into it, either way, so we'll see.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In addition, we’ll also improve the functionality of legendaries, allowing you to set their stats when out of combat to any stat combo available, so you don’t need to transmute stat changes for legendaries.
Whaaaat baller. Maybe the first time I've felt like I wanted one

Retro

Champion Rewards sound raw as hell, I shall become a bounty hunter

"This chest will contain things like crafting materials, skill points, unique skins, lodestones, and more."

Sign me the fuck up for Champion Hunting too, if they're gonna have skins that fit the theme of the enemy. They specifically show the Champion Oakheart in Queensdale; I'm thinking that means that every champion is basically going to be worth killing now, not just the usual dragon world events.

By having so many, it will be almost impossible to run the World Event train without missing a few. People will obviously go for the ones with the skins and such that they want, rather than try to do all of them. Clever; they effectively break up the Event Train without removing or changing the timing of World Events... they just overwhelm you with them.

Yup, that's ballsy but awesome as well. A great sign both of the scope they're not afraid to impose and taking the greater good into consideration.

Exactly, and I love the precedent it sets. There are things I plain just don't like about Guild Wars 2 (shocking, I know), some of them big. Magic Find is one, traits are another. With MF Gear going away, it shows that they're not afraid to rock the boat to make things better.

The mind boggles, how

Obviously MF as a stat will be replaced, or the points redistributed somehow. I'm shocked they just added Celestial stats to the game when MF is going away.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To prepare the game for its eastern release, we’re building a new comprehensive “level zero” optional tutorial that teaches the core basics of the game. We’re also adding new story steps at levels 5 and 10 to help better teach core mechanics as players grow. We will also be adding a much better hints system, and a new level-up messaging system all to better teach the game.
Very cool. I like that this aspect of the game's problems- so extremely far-removed from high level concerns like rewards, "endgame," ascended gear, dungeon fragmentation, etc.- is still being worked on for brand new players.

Retro

"In addition, we’ll also improve the functionality of legendaries, allowing you to set their stats when out of combat to any stat combo available, so you don’t need to transmute stat changes for legendaries. "

God damn, that sounds... Legendary. How appropriate.

The one thing I'm incredibly unsure about is the new 500-level crafting of Ascended weapons and armor. Great that they'll be craftable in the first place, but if they're account-bound does that mean this is the only way to get them besides "rare drops from locations in the world" (and how vague is that by the way)?

It sounds like you can craft Ascended gear once per day, to limit how much is flooding into the economy. That sounds like it's non-bound upon crafting but once you equip it, it becomes account bound.

They also explain that 'rare drops from locations in the world' will be objective-based;

For example, capturing camps, towers, and keeps in WvW will earn you these crafting materials. In the Living World, you can earn them for killing giant world bosses, defeating dungeons, completing jumping puzzles, completing mini-dungeons, finishing some types of guild missions, capturing temples in Orr, and other activities.

Mix it up and try your favorite mini-dungeons one day, your favorite jumping puzzles the next day, and on an another day capture supply camps in WvW instead to earn the crafting material. Or if you want to do all three in one day, the choice is yours! Players can earn each of these guaranteed reward crafting materials from a variety of content across both PvE and WvW to give players choice in what type of content they enjoy.

My guess is that they will put rare resource nodes at the end of jumping puzzles, drops from world bosses, etc. I'm not sure on putting them inside objectives in WvW; I instantly worry that now servers will organize to turn over objectives at a set time, so they can maximize gathering... which in turn leads to interesting opportunities for betrayal, I guess.

Very cool. I like that this aspect of the game's problems- so extremely far-removed from high level concerns like rewards, "endgame," ascended gear, dungeon fragmentation, etc.- is still being worked on for brand new players.

I think we can all agree that the game is hard on newcomers, so this definitely needed some work. Like you, I'm glad it's not something they pushed off for ages because it wasn't "endgame" content.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What you quoted is about acquiring the crafting materials from structured completion. I was referring to this line
These weapons and armor will also be able to be found as rare drops from locations in the world.
Which pretty clearly references ascended gear dropping outright from... locations

What you quoted is about acquiring the crafting materials from structured completion. I was referring to this line

Which pretty clearly references ascended gear dropping outright from... locations

I understood this to mean that drops would be account bound while crafted would not be, allowing the crafters to actually make decent steady gold without making it completely necessary to craft or buy.

Retro

Ah yeah, you're right. Guess some of that crafted stuff will appear as drops... from... somewhere vague... for reasons.

jacket320

I hope this opens up ascended gear to be bought and sold on the TP. Also, I'm thinking about how they'll make the transition away from MF% on gear and wonder if there will be a trade-in system where you swap your items for a % increase on your account. Might be worth trading in pristine relics for MF% rings? It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Edit: Also, I'd like to see a system where you can promote existing weapons to ascended and legendary status through an extensive series of crafting objectives, or keep open those tiers for transmutation with lower level skins. You'll have to pry Infinite Light from my cold, dead hands. The legendary stat-changing info is the first time I've actually wanted to craft one.

Retro

Yeah, the transition of MF gear is going to be interesting.

- Salvaging gear with Magic Find will net you Magic Find consumables.
- Alternatively, maybe you can 'trade in' MF gear at a special NPC and they remove the MF gear, giving you different choices on what you want to replace it with.​
- Some new stat replaces MF outright. Would have to be somewhat universal though.
- MF Gear just stops dropping, and you can hang onto it if you want, and eventually it will just fade out.

Yeah, that solves a lot of the gripes I had with the game. Wow. I'm lovin' it! Unlocking skills <3

They're definitely going to be Utility skills; I wouldn't hope for new weapon skills until they introduce new weapons. I've got a big post a'brewin' in my head about traits that I'd like to write up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom