• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ Early Access Thread - We dont go to Stary Sobor

Loomba

This game showcases just how terrible people are, makes it even harder when you spent 5+ hours on getting gear then it's wiped away completely when some asshat shoots you in the back for no reason.

not them, you should run away.

and the will come back anyway.
sooner or later.

That's what I'm saying, if I run away and leave 2 or 3 guys running around with guns then it just gives them a chance to find my group at a later time and get the jump on us when I could have nipped the bud right there and then.

Too much of a risk and I'm sick of making myself known and saying I'm friendly only to be shot down by liars looking for easy loot. Not once have we met a friendly group yet and at least 4 times we've been shot at before we knew guys were there. One guy even shot at our group of 5 dudes a few days ago, where he was completely out gunned. It made no sense, but it was like a reflex of his just to shoot at other players

This game showcases just how terrible people are, makes it even harder when you spent 5+ hours on getting gear then it's wiped away completely when some asshat shoots you in the back for no reason.

It's a problem the mod has had for a very long time now and they can't seem to introduce a mechanic or system that fights against it properly. Damaging gear on dudes that you killed was an attempt but so far it hasn't really mattered all that much. DayZ's biggest issue is having horrendous zombies

KKRT00

Just have seperate PVP-disabled servers, no idea what's so bad about that idea.

While i'm always for options, i dont think it matters now really. There is no end-game besides pvp currently and survival aspect just not exists.
In 20-40 minutes, depends where You spawn, You can get all survival gear.

You'll learn that having gear isn't the goal. In the end it's about player interaction. I understand people getting on empty servers to collect gear but when you have everything, what will you do? In the mod you could continue repairing videos or building a campsite. But in the SA you hit a certain level. After that, it's about setting your own arbitrary goals and player interaction. Certain people will hunt others. Certain people will help others. KOSers are probably the majority so it's important to have eyes in the back of your head.

Personally, I like to roam through more populated areas to meet others. I try to help newbies but generally shoot armed people. I also find it very gratifying to just stalk people and learn their playstyle.

Hylian7

Just have seperate PVP-disabled servers, no idea what's so bad about that idea.
That is a terrible idea. PvP creates the fun in this game. In no-PvP servers, there would be no holdups, no handcuffs, no robberies. Everyone would get geared out and then do what? Sit at the top of the NWAF ATC and pop zombies all day? It's not like you would have to worry about anyone sniping you up there.

In the mod there were "no PvP" servers and they were generally dumb and not fun to play in. In SA right now there are servers that claim to be "no PvP" but of course the admins have no way of enforcing that.

Everyone that complains about "kill on sight" needs to simply get better at the game. You have to assess a situation before you run up saying "I'M FRIENDLY!" Does he have a gun? Does he have buddies around? Oh, he's about to see that fresh spawn player that isn't associated with him, I should see how he reacts to that before I try to make friends with him.

It is supposed to be a lawless wasteland. Some people are bandits and kill on sight, some want to be paragons of the wasteland and help everyone. Now the game is in alpha, so there aren't many rewards for the latter, but there are still perks for it. For one thing, if you make friends, you have strength in numbers. Even if they plan you stab you in the back later, roaming in numbers will generally make lone wolf players less likely to engage unless they know they are prepared to deal with you all.

At the end of the day, DayZ is your story, and you do what you want with it. You can become the worst bandit of Cherno, a psychotic axe murderer in a clown mask, a walking book store, a preacher, a trader, a vigilante, a pugilist, and more! It's completely up to you and "no PvP" servers make this player-driven game a stale loot drop MUD with some slightly annoying zombies thrown in.

derFeef

Just compare it with EVE, you have low risk areas and high risk areas, where it's highly likely that you lose your ship. Don't know why it would be a bad idea. I can understand why some people like that tension, but others like me who do not have friends to play this with and actually like scavenging alone. I also don't want to pop zombies - I want ammo to be sparse, very sparse - some people are geared up like Rambo. Give me 100 bullets per gun and server - make people trade for sruvival if they encounter zombies.

It's not that I do not like player interaction too, it's just when I spawn into a server and I get clobbed to death from another player the second he saw me without asking or anything. There is no tension, no handcuffs, no fun.

Hell.. make zombies player controlled then.

edit: also no one is taking the "normal" servers away from you.

Loomba

You'll learn that having gear isn't the goal. In the end it's about player interaction. I understand people getting on empty servers to collect gear but when you have everything, what will you do? In the mod you could continue repairing videos or building a campsite. But in the SA you hit a certain level. After that, it's about setting your own arbitrary goals and player interaction. Certain people will hunt others. Certain people will help others. KOSers are probably the majority so it's important to have eyes in the back of your head.

Personally, I like to roam through more populated areas to meet others. I try to help newbies but generally shoot armed people. I also find it very gratifying to just stalk people and learn their playstyle.

Yeah, I'm sure when I have learnt the map a bit more and getting good loot easily becomes second nature - I'll have a ball. Just bad for the moment not knowing where I am, where I am going and basically running in circles looking around for hours and finding nothing but rotten kiwi.

I was reading about handcuffs though and this got a chuckle out of me:

DayZ Wiki said:
You can get items in to your hands(you can get your bayonet on your hand before you struggle out and stab that a**hole

Randam

That is a terrible idea. PvP creates the fun in this game. In no-PvP servers, there would be no holdups, no handcuffs, no robberies. Everyone would get geared out and then do what? Sit at the top of the NWAF ATC and pop zombies all day? It's not like you would have to worry about anyone sniping you up there.

In the mod there were "no PvP" servers and they were generally dumb and not fun to play in. In SA right now there are servers that claim to be "no PvP" but of course the admins have no way of enforcing that.

Everyone that complains about "kill on sight" needs to simply get better at the game. You have to assess a situation before you run up saying "I'M FRIENDLY!" Does he have a gun? Does he have buddies around? Oh, he's about to see that fresh spawn player that isn't associated with him, I should see how he reacts to that before I try to make friends with him.

It is supposed to be a lawless wasteland. Some people are bandits and kill on sight, some want to be paragons of the wasteland and help everyone. Now the game is in alpha, so there aren't many rewards for the latter, but there are still perks for it. For one thing, if you make friends, you have strength in numbers. Even if they plan you stab you in the back later, roaming in numbers will generally make lone wolf players less likely to engage unless they know they are prepared to deal with you all.

At the end of the day, DayZ is your story, and you do what you want with it. You can become the worst bandit of Cherno, a psychotic axe murderer in a clown mask, a walking book store, a preacher, a trader, a vigilante, a pugilist, and more! It's completely up to you and "no PvP" servers make this player-driven game a stale loot drop MUD with some slightly annoying zombies thrown in.

PVE only right now is/would be boring, but if they decide to make the zombies a real threat, it could be very cool.

and to behonest, that is the only thing, that would bring me back to this game.

Faith

I have been testing what makes your character reset (when not wanted) and it seems to be logging out on the "please wait" screen. It is OK to log out on the "waiting for server" screen but if you exit on the "please wait" one you are going to respawn on the shore on your next connect. The difference is if you press esc the "respawn" button is highlighted and availible to click on the "please wait" screen. (I think the game basically thinks you are in an "unconsious" state but I'm just speculating)

On rare occasions the screen gets stuck on "please wait" while logging in, if you are patient this should eventually (after 40-120secs) either log in or auto disconnect (which is safe and wont lose you your character.)However I have on one occasion been glitched on this screen while logging in (I know it was glitched cos the screen went blue instead of the usual black and I waited 3mins with nothing happening) and I lost my save when I exited.
I think this is the reason why I lost everything 3 times?

The zombies are why people didn't kill each other, you didn't want to risk a shot and get mobbed.

With there being no zombies open warfare has no penalty.

Fistwell

Game has suddenly started crashing my nvidia drivers. Was on beta drivers, figured I'd roll back to the latest safe release, same result. Incidentally, steam is telling me I just downloaded a 0MB update for DayZ. Anyone else having problems and/or got that update?

Uff duh

Banned
SJ2ZoPK.gif

Not a bad night. Solo trip to the NW airfield. Man this game is great!

Randam

get rid of all but to mags.
and use the 60 round double mag to make pills of 60 rounds to safe inventory space.

and yeah surpressors dont do anything yet.
but so do bayonets.

zainetor

Banned
The zombies are why people didn't kill each other, you didn't want to risk a shot and get mobbed.

With there being no zombies open warfare has no penalty.

If somebody wants to shhot you and take your stuff, he'll do it even if there are lots of zombies.
I rememer one of the latest patch in the mod that mad zombies fucking insane to deal with, but nothing changed. It was just harder and frustrating to explore the map.

If you want to play this game, you dont play it friendly, you play it smart.

Uff duh

Banned
Yeah I just grabbed what I could and split. It was pretty sketchy. I am gonna clean up that inventory mess when I get on tomorrow. The suppressor doesn't do anything but I figured what the hell. Now if i can keep from falling off a roof this time ill be good lol.

EVIL

vb7f7t6j.jpg

Last time I lost everything. Should I just wait?

honestly, if you get mad everytime you loose a character maybe this game isnt meant for you at all. It happened in the mod aswell and loosing your character is something you have to deal with. also it being beta, expect your characters to die frequently.

I would wait a year before jumping in again if you want a more polished game that wont throw you in these unfortionate situations where you loose stuff because of server issues, or hard resets by the dayz team to shut down hacker backdoors.

Faith

honestly, if you get mad everytime you loose a character maybe this game isnt meant for you at all. It happened in the mod aswell and loosing your character is something you have to deal with. also it being beta, expect your characters to die frequently.

I would wait a year before jumping in again if you want a more polished game that wont throw you in these unfortionate situations where you loose stuff because of server issues, or hard resets by the dayz team to shut down hacker backdoors.
I am angry because I have two other friends that played the game 40-50h too and they never experienced something like this. Like I said many times: if I get killed by a guy and have to start fresh, no problem. But when I just want to join a server to play with my friends and everyone is fully geared I lose my character, then it's kind of annoying.

I don't expect from the game to be perfect. I don't care if zombies walk trough doors and walls, I don't care if you put something on the ground for a friend and it never shows. I just want to be sure that when I invest 5-6 hours in a character that he will die with dignity.

Fistwell

I don't expect from the game to be perfect. I don't care if zombies walk trough doors and walls, I don't care if you put something on the ground for a friend and it never shows. I just want to be sure that when I invest 5-6 hours in a character that he will die with dignity.
The game is in alpha. Connectivity issues and char resets are part of the deal as much as zombies walking through walls. I'm actually surprised the game is this playable and stable (relatively).

KAOz

Short bus special
Got fired at after helping a guy out.

That was the time I changed. Killed him. Looted his corpse for all the good stuff. His buddies started to show up. Hid. And killed them all. Didn't even loot them. Just let them lay there.

Moved on. Walked around. Saw a guy running about looting houses. Yelled out "Friendly?" and he came at me with an axe. Killed him.

Saw a guy and his friend later while observing them through a window. Didn't even give a fuck. Wasted both of them for the hell of it while they where bandaging eachouter. Moved on again. Commited suicide by zombie.

Yeah, nowdays, as soon I see another player I will fire, fresh spawn with nothing, or fully decked out. That's how it's meant to played it seems.

Faith

Got fired at after helping a guy out.

That was the time I changed. Killed him. Looted his corpse for all the good stuff. His buddies started to show up. Hid. And killed them all. Didn't even loot them. Just let them lay there.

Moved on. Walked around. Saw a guy running about looting houses. Yelled out "Friendly?" and he came at me with an axe. Killed him.

Saw a guy and his friend later while observing them through a window. Didn't even give a fuck. Wasted both of them for the hell of it while they where bandaging eachouter. Moved on again. Commited suicide by zombie.

Yeah, nowdays, as soon I see another player I will fire, fresh spawn with nothing, or fully decked out. That's how it's meant to played it seems.
You're even more badass than me. Holy shit!

KAOz

Short bus special
You're even more badass than me. Holy shit!

It's not really fun though. I do prefer to help people, and love doing so.

Just a shame that when you do help out, you get punished for it. Better to not trust anyone at all except friends. Kind of sad.

shandy706

PVE only right now is/would be boring, but if they decide to make the zombies a real threat, it could be very cool.

and to behonest, that is the only thing, that would bring me back to this game.

Have you picked up State of Decay?

Highly recommend it if not. It should fill your wants for now.

The fleshed out multi-player/co-op version they have planned will probably be incredible.

TeaFan

Loving this so far. Me and my friends got into a nice battle in the middle of electro last night. Few hostages taken, rescue attempts, deaths, the odd force feeding of disinfectant :p

Without pvp it would be a bore

This damn game, its S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Online, so brutal ....

Me and my bro checking out the northern airfield, going through behind buildings. Bro goes on ahead, someone's starts shooting at us, I spin around but couldn't see anyone in the split second I had so pegged it to cover. (Watching the video later, I did actually see him, could have ended it there .....)

My bro on the other hand was lying unconscious on the ground ... I tried looking for the shooter, telling my bro to hold on .... then "bang bang bang", he finished my bro off.

I hid behind a door in a nearby building, watching the rough area I heard the bullets. I could see some scuffling near a bush, but couldn't confirm it. Then his whole body came out so I fired some shots, but Alpha being Alpha, he teleported behind the brick wall. I slowly worked my way forward, I could hear he was in pain. I guessed where he was, darted around the brick wall, he was crouched, probably checking through his inventory, so I unloaded about 20 bullets into him. He dropped, dead, then teleported through the wall again, and was crouched, so unloaded the rest of my mag. Dead. The End.

So now I've grabbed everything I could from both bodies and pegged it back to Bolota airstrip.

This game. 99% running 1% action, why do I love it so.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So for the last few days I've been travelling the north east quadrant of the map, filling up on guns, ammo, supplies, and just generally keeping to myself and getting healthy.

I ended up at the North East airfield, and was able to completely fill up an ammo box.. I have 300 rounds of M4 ammo (muhuhahaha) and enough stuff to keep me alive/fed/quenched for at least a few days.

Just explored the ship on the coastline and found some neat stuff, and am now heading south along the coast hoping to help new spawns along.. but am prepared in case they turn on me.

Went on mumble for three hours last night and didn't find any other gaffers :( Hoping to meet up with you guys again and not get slaughtered at the mountain :p

Clawww

That 1% action is so intense.

when you aren't kitted and are just making your way through towns trying to survive, that part is just like gambling, honestly

OH MY GOD YES A CAN OF TUNA AND A SHIRT I CAN MAKE RAGS FROM WOO what will I find next oh god

Ugh, had a massive backpack full of food, water, medical supplies, etc.. so I could go on a trek, found the ship wreck and walking up the stairs "You are dead" for no reason whatsoever..................

Putting a pristine mag in a ruined gun will ruin the mag too, learned that the hard way. And you can't see when a gun is ruined either.

Grief.exe

Ugh, had a massive backpack full of food, water, medical supplies, etc.. so I could go on a trek, found the ship wreck and walking up the stairs "You are dead" for no reason whatsoever..................

DayZ Early Access Thread - We don’t go to the ship wreck

Something I just noticed, this isn't an OT so I guess we get to stay in gaming until release. Pretty good perk.

registry app?

Its a system developers use to update their games, installation parameters, and push out store pages.

Have found plenty of leaks through the system over the last couple of years.

Grief.exe

12/31 Patch

New:

Design: Balancing of player spawns (ongoing)
Server: Enhanced Server-side security & customization options
Design: .357 Magnum Speedloader should now spawn
Server: First Person only servers are now supported (Seperate Hive coming later on)

Fixed:

Design: Player corpses should no longer despawn upon disconnect
Server: Respawning should now function properly - in some cases you may have to wait a few seconds. (during high death/respawn times)
Design: 357 Magnum spawning fixed

Has anyone heard anything about when the devs will be active again and when we'll get new updates?

Here is a partial answer, pending update posted yesterday

New:

Design: Balancing of player spawns (ongoing)
Server: Dead player cleanup (time based)
Design: M9130 Bayonet can now open cans

Fixed:

Server: Dedicated Server crash related to player skeleton
Server: Player location rubberbanding
Server: Large delay in item manipulation and "inventory tetris"

List to be fleshed out as update progresses.

Top Bottom