• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m a Muslim, a woman and an immigrant. I voted for Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Great perspective

The revelations of multimillion-dollar donations to the Clinton Foundation from Qatar and Saudi Arabia killed my support for Clinton. Yes, I want equal pay. No, I reject Trump’s “locker room” banter, the idea of a “wall” between the United States and Mexico and a plan to “ban” Muslims. But I trust the United States and don’t buy the political hyperbole — agenda-driven identity politics of its own — that demonized Trump and his supporters.

I gently tried to express my thoughts on Twitter but the “Pantsuit revolution” was like a steamroller to any nuanced discourse. If you supported Trump, you had to be a redneck.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m-a-woman-and-an-immigrant-i-voted-for-trump/

Not

Banned
He's not going to do anything he says he will politically. Only two days in and that's clear. He's a TV show host.

But I trust the United States and don’t buy the political hyperbole

You fucking idiot.

Like does she realize the Clinton Foundation used that money to save millions of people's lives in Africa with AIDS? You know what, one consolation from this election is the fucking Clinton Foundation will continue to be an amazing charity and won't have to be shut down because of idiots like this.

BriGuy

It's her life and her decision. I just don't think the less savory elements of the Trump movement are ever going to recognize her as "one of the good ones" though.

Saw this on Twitter earlier. Nothing she in my opinion says comes off as based in reality:
But I am a single mother who can’t afford health insurance under Obamacare. The president’s mortgage-loan modification program, “HOPE NOW,” didn’t help me. Tuesday, I drove into Virginia from my hometown of Morgantown, W.Va., where I see rural America and ordinary Americans, like me, still struggling to make ends meet, after eight years of the Obama administration.

Finally, as a liberal Muslim who has experienced, first-hand, Islamic extremism in this world, I have been opposed to the decision by President Obama and the Democratic Party to tap dance around the “Islam” in Islamic State.

Health-care costs will rise more. Instead of HOPE NOW you'll have nothing. And you'll see your neighbours struggle more.

But hey at least now you can blame a whole religion amirite.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
But I trust the US..

Guess she didn't expect full republican control...

Pretty much. With full control Republicans have the potential to do a lot of the garbage Trump spewed. No Obama situation where most of the president's desires are stonewalled by congress.

Zapages

Some of my Muslim friends....

We are voting for Stein, Trump or Johnson because of Clinton's stance on Israel!.

I kid you not, that is what they say on Facebook. I was like WTF?! You live here and think about it for a second if that is best strategy. :(

Toxi

Banned
This perspective is great because it shows how someone can twist themselves into a pretzel coming up with excuses.

You literally have to believe Trump is lying about the majority of his platform, except that one part you like, that one he's totally honest about.

Immigrants voting for Trump is honestly not surprising.

To clarify: I mean the whole "trusting America" angle.

Those of us that grew up here know better lmao

norm9

There was alot of talk of the white woman vote. But there were plenty of minorities that voted for Trump. And contrary to some people, they weren't victims of self loathing or the white oppression or misogny or whatever. They had there reasons. You don't have to like it.

Got to the part where she stops claiming not to be racist and explains her actual reason for voting for Trump, laughed, then closed the tab

Donald Trump doesn't give a shit about your health insurance costs, and premiums are NOT going down

remz

So wait, she thinks hillary is supporting qatar and the saudis when the email said this
By mid-October, it was one Aug. 17, 2014, email from the WikiLeaks treasure trove of Clinton emails that poisoned the well for me. In it, Clinton told aide John Podesta: “We need to use our diplomatic and more traditional intelligence assets to bring pressure on the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which are providing clandestine financial and logistic support to ISIL,” the politically correct name for the Islamic State, “and other radical Sunni groups in the region.”
My reading comprehension has slipped since high school, but isn't this more like they're aware of their bullshit isis support and trying to stop it? wat? and surely if her healthcare is expensive with obamacare it's going to be way fucking worse without clickbait as f

There was alot of talk of the white woman vote. But there were plenty of minorities that voted for Trump. And contrary to some people, they weren't victims of self loathing or the white oppression or misogny or whatever. They had there reasons. You don't have to like it.

Having a reason doesn't mean you voted rationally.

Ithil

Her reasons stated here make absolutely no sense.

RainForce

Banned
Some of my Muslim friends....

We are voting for Stein, Trump or Johnson because of Clinton's stance on Israel!.

I kid you not, that is what they say on Facebook. I was like WTF?! You live here and think about it for a second if that is best strategy. :(

Aren't Trump and Netanyahu already on extremely good terms?

If liberals like most GAFfers can't at least explain why people like this exist, they will forever be marginalized and destined to lose election after election.
Not justify or excuse, but at least explain.

"You voted for trump, so go fuck yourself and I will never talk to you, listen to you, or consider you a human being ever again" Is a recipe for decades of electoral losses.

If liberals like most GAFfers can't at least explain why people like this exist, they will forever be marginalized and destined to lose election after election.

"You voted for trump, so go fuck yourself and I will never talk to you, listen to you, or consider you a human being ever again" Is a recipe for decades of electoral losses.

ecigfyS.jpg

Like it or not but minority communities have just as big of problems with misogyny and masculinity as the white community does. The Latinos have a word for it, machismo.

FZZ

Banned
imrs.php

LMFAO

she's almost white passing

oh well, as a Pakistani who comes from the country where Saudi Arabia and Qatar are exporting my people and basically enslaving, fuck everything she said. Anyone with a fucking 3rd grade brain should have the foresight to see that his toxic comments are going to send waves and have been sending waves of hate crime throughout the country.

Fuck Saudi Arabia, fuck Qatar, fuck the UAE. But she essentially said fuck the US too.

Literally the most selfish vote I've seen.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Ignorant person does ignorant thing.

People are making economic appeals but I haven't heard a single convincing thing concerning long-term ramifications. I'd love to be disillusioned. As it stands, this opinion piece is as empty and pointless as the waitbutwhy one.

RedHill

Banned
Trump and his supporters demonized themselves. The media wouldn't have reported on the racism, sexism, and homophobia if he didn't create his platform based on it.

Her entire reason for voting for him is not rooting in any sense though. What exactly do you want us to do here?

Hope the lady doesn't get lynched by her own people or by others. People on the left are angry as fuck right now and being reasonable/rational is out of window at the moment.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's a pretty bold strategy she has here. We'll see if it pays off.
Doubt it

So wait, she thinks hillary is supporting qatar and the saudis when the email said this
My reading comprehension has slipped since high school, but isn't this more like they're aware of their bullshit isis support and trying to stop it? wat? and surely if her healthcare is expensive with obamacare it's going to be way fucking worse without clickbait as f

You don't need reading comprehension when one candidate says what you want to hear.

Platy

Sad that she lacks a minimal understanding of how a xenophobic thinks.

Blaming islam means you will be hated/harassed and maybe even hurt on the street ><

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

So, why do they exist? This person literally said they disagreed with the candidate but voted for him anyway because they didn't think he was serious. What can you even do about that?

such a short-sighted and selfish point of view. my mom is muslim and immigrant and she voted for Clinton because she knows there's more at stake than just our family.

Trump and his administration will be able to steamroll through policy changes concerning
- climate change (he thinks it's a hoax created by China)

- abortion rights (women should be punished for trying to get abortions)

- doesn't give a shit about net neutrality, in fact he wants pretty much no government regulation across the board, including Wall Street

- the vacant supreme court seat (the impact of his choice will last decades)

- minimum wage (he wants to abolish the federal wage and let states decide, unlike Hillary who wanted to increase it to $15)

- tax cuts for the wealthy while families with kids pay more

- said he wanted to ban muslim immigration, she wouldn't even be allowed to come here in the first place in Trump's proposed "Great" America

- wants to create a deportation force and knock on every suspected house and business, round up all the illegals and kick them out, no matter who they are

- his fucking wall

let me know what i missed because it's a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom