• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’m a Muslim, a woman and an immigrant. I voted for Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
If liberals like most GAFfers can't at least explain why people like this exist, they will forever be marginalized and destined to lose election after election.
Not justify or excuse, but at least explain.

"You voted for trump, so go fuck yourself and I will never talk to you, listen to you, or consider you a human being ever again" Is a recipe for decades of electoral losses.

Why do not-liberals assume we don't know why people like this exist?

They're gullible and believe the American Dream actually applies to them. You try to talk about policy and long term plans and their eyes go blank; offer easy answers and bombast and they light up.

Steel

Banned
Saw this on Twitter earlier. Nothing she in my opinion says comes off as based in reality:

Health-care costs will rise more. Instead of HOPE NOW you'll have nothing. And you'll see your neighbours struggle more.

But hey at least now you can blame a whole religion amirite.

Well, yeah, these people are definitely ignorant and will soon find out how much they fucked up.

Samara

'' Some I assume are good people.''
They won't care that she voted for him. They'll lump her with the rest.

There was alot of talk of the white woman vote. But there were plenty of minorities that voted for Trump. And contrary to some people, they weren't victims of self loathing or the white oppression or misogny or whatever. They had there reasons. You don't have to like it.
You're talking to a wall. As much as I dislike Trump, the huge echochamber here on Gaf refuses to accept the failures of the DNC's strategy of insulting the base that voted for Trump. Jonathan Pie very effectively summarized that all of the "I don't need to explain it to you, you troglodyte" subscribers don't get it just as much as the neo-Nazis don't get it. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Toxi

Banned
So, why do they exist? This person literally said they disagreed with the candidate but voted for him anyway because they didn't think he was serious. What can you even do about that?
"I knowingly voted for a guy who either hates me or is a liar. Why are you laughing at me?"

He's not going to do anything he says he will politically. Only two days in and that's clear. He's a TV show host.

he's surrounding himself with conservative DC insiders and will stack his Cabinet with even worse cronies. it will be exponentially worse than Bush Jr.'s administration.

You fucking idiot.

Like does she realize the Clinton Foundation used that money to save millions of people's lives in Africa with AIDS? You know what, one consolation from this election is the fucking Clinton Foundation will continue to be an amazing charity and won't have to be shut down because of idiots like this.

Well until the Trump lead justice department shuts it down on invented charges

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I really wish I could pick her brain and ask her how she thinks Trump as president is going to improve her living situation.

Like... It sounds like she thinks the democrats failed her and Obamacare failed her in that regard - but I don't really feel like she's thinking about how in any way Trump is going to make it better. It sounds like she's voting against Hilary and the Democrats, but not actually -for- anything.

I imagine she's been convinced by the rhetoric in the state she lives in, by her peers and by living in her situation that the 'status quo' means Democrats. How do you convince someone like this otherwise, in 2020?

orochi91

I'm noticing this absurd trend among some Muslim family members myself, notably in my Father and sister.

They both hate Hillary for her supposed fuck-ups in the ME, along with her harsh stance towards Russia and Iran.

They think that Trump is too idiotic to do any real damage on a global stage, but that Hillary would have started WW3 eventually.

Seriously, they're convinced that Trump will keep his fuckery contained to within the USA and that the only people who will suffer are US citizens.

I then asked them about the Muslims and other minorities in the US that will possibly suffer under Trump, and they basically responded with, "It's for the greater good"....

This election cycle has bought out a ugly side in people that I didn't know existed.

XpRpB1z.png

See? Not all of Trump's supporters are bigots. Some are just really fucking stupid.

"Some"

Are you seriously making a comment about the color of her skin

Well there is something to be said about how the color of your skin can affect how you identify with certain minority issues. I'm not sure if that poster was going for that exactly, but for instance looking at hispanics light skinned vs dark skinned ones can have drastically different experiences. So the relevance of being "passable" isn't entirely ridiculous

Some of my Muslim friends....

We are voting for Stein, Trump or Johnson because of Clinton's stance on Israel!.

I kid you not, that is what they say on Facebook. I was like WTF?! You live here and think about it for a second if that is best strategy. :(

..is this a joke because Trump has said countless times how he supports Israel and that they're our only ally in the middle east??

There was alot of talk of the white woman vote. But there were plenty of minorities that voted for Trump. And contrary to some people, they weren't victims of self loathing or the white oppression or misogny or whatever. They had there reasons. You don't have to like it.

Plenty?

He was in electoral blow out levels amongst all of them....

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Look there are ways to hate yourself better than this. The rest of us minorities got nothing to do with you.

orochi91

Look there are ways to hate yourself better than this. The rest of us minorities got nothing to do with you.

Amen
..is this a joke because Trump has said countless times how he supports Israel and that they're our only ally in the middle east??

It's all relative to those people.

Hillary is an ardent and steadfast supporter of Israel.

Trump has been flipflopping on his support for Israel throughout the election cycle.

If liberals like most GAFfers can't at least explain why people like this exist, they will forever be marginalized and destined to lose election after election.

"You voted for trump, so go fuck yourself and I will never talk to you, listen to you, or consider you a human being ever again" Is a recipe for decades of electoral losses.

this is most gaffers, is it? keep telling yourself that.

badb0y

People are allowed to vote how they want. No reason to lash out.

Y'all didn't seem to learn a thing.

Fuck that. This man ran on a platform of hating my people, I am done taking the high road and being a good minority who falls in line. If you voted for him, you voted for the whole package.

Steel

Banned
I really wish I could pick her brain and ask her how she thinks Trump as president is going to improve her living situation.

Like... It sounds like she thinks the democrats failed her and Obamacare failed her in that regard - but I don't really feel like she's thinking about how in any way Trump is going to make it better. It sounds like she's voting against Hilary and the Democrats, but not actually -for- anything.

I imagine she's been convinced by the rhetoric in the state she lives in, by her peers and by living in her situation that the 'status quo' means Democrats. How do you convince someone like this otherwise, in 2020?

Here's my guess(and a lot of Trump supporter's rationale)
Warning, idiocy follows
:

"Well, he's a businessman, so he can definitely make me richer. And the Apprentice makes him an authority on business. The world didn't magically change overnight with Obama, and Hillary's a liar, so I can't trust the dems. Trump's not part of the establishment. And when I said I was voting for Trump a bunch of people blew up on me calling me an idiot without any arguments for why what I think was wrong, so what I think must be right. I also can't be arsed to figure out how wrong I am myself."

Cronox

Banned
Simply put, this woman preferred Trump's foreign policy. She believes that we are more at risk as a nation and culture from foreign religious extremists than from Donald Trump.

Given that Obama and Clinton haven't been able to use the words "Islamic terrorism" in a sentence for fear of offending the loudest of the left, her vote was essentially a vote of no confidence in the Democrats.

Beefy

Why didn't she well you know vote for some one else if she didn't like Clinton and doesn't really like Trump?

norm9

Plenty?

He was in electoral blow out levels amongst all of them....

Sure, in percentages. But if you translate those percentages into raw numbers, it's still an increidble amount. I don't have that graph neaby to pull up, but the 30% Latino and Asian and 4% or whatever Black women translated to actual numbers is sobering.

And to assume they are all pining for white approval is nonsense. Some? Maybe. But it's a mistake to conclude that is definitely the reason.

These voters found something else they like about him. Regardless of how me or you feel.

Maebe

That is some peak naivety and optimism when hate crimes have already begun, alt right groups are jovial and the KKK has already planned a parade. Trump and by proxy his supporters demonized themselves.

Who's lashing out?

All I see are people voicing their opinions. Voting doesn't make you immune to those.

Are you kidding me? Like the first 4 posts you have people telling her shes a fucking idiot. Later you have another poster saying shes practically white looking.

That's not just opinions, thats lashing out.

Platy

Here's my guess(and a lot of Trump supporter's rationale)
Warning, idiocy follows
:

"Well, he's a businessman, so he can definitely make me richer. The world didn't magically change overnight with Obama, and Hillary's a liar, so I can't trust the dems. Trump's not part of the establishment. And when I said I was voting for Trump a bunch of people blew up on me calling me an idiot without any arguments for why what I think was wrong, so what I think must be right. I also can't be arsed to figure out how wrong I am myself."

I know you were joking, but "Trump's not part of the establishment" is the most wtf thing I ever heard this election. Like I can believe first that he is not sexist before I start believing he is not the anthropomorphization of the establishment

Can Sam Harris interview her again? That would a glorious train-wreck.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

So we shouldn't criticize positions? Should we always say "it's fine, it's your opinion" when it could endanger progress and human rights?

Are you kidding me? Like the first 4 posts you have people telling her shes a fucking idiot. Later you have another poster saying shes practically white looking.

That's not just opinions, thats lashing out.

Being white passable is actually a big part of minority identity and the related politics.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
You're talking to a wall. As much as I dislike Trump, the huge echochamber here on Gaf refuses to accept the failures of the DNC's strategy of insulting the base that voted for Trump. Jonathan Pie very effectively summarized that all of the "I don't need to explain it to you, you troglodyte" subscribers don't get it just as much as the neo-Nazis don't get it. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I would also recommend listening to today's episode of Sam Harris' podcast.

Unfortunately, it seems like many on the left don't even want to consider that they had a role in getting Trump elected and instead are doubling down on their tactics.

Laekon

I had a Mexican immigrant patent this week that was for Trump. He was a racist Mexican though as he said his family was European and he was only Mexican by location of his birth. He said his family only married others of European blood, never anyone that was even part native. The guy was old and most likely an official citizen now but it was still messed up.

No, I reject Trump’s “locker room” banter, the idea of a “wall” between the United States and Mexico and a plan to “ban” Muslims. But I trust the United States and don’t buy the political hyperbole
Oooohhh boy.

orochi91

Are you seriously making a comment about the color of her skin.
She has fair skin and will not be targeted by people at first glace.

Islam has become racialized to the point where being brown = being a Muslim.

It's why you have innocent Hindus and Sikhs getting shot up for looking like Muslim stereotypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom