• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PC piracy, one day stats, nay-sayers pwned"

Wunderchu

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=571229
blackskimmer said:
I remember a few days ago there were some people who came out and said "oh good games sell well no matter what", "make a good game it will sell millions", "piracy isnt that bad".

Oh no? Well take a look at these ONE day stats off of mininova ALONE. I simply cant believe these numbers. Too think that PC gaming is dead, well not even close. To think that piracy is NOT killing PC gamng is sticking your head in the sand during a nuclear war.

1) Assassin's Creed - 25734
2) Frontlines: Fuel of War - 12688
3) Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat - 8792
4) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - 8402
5) Lost: Via Domus - 5883
6) Turning Point: Fall of Liberty - 5183
7) Sims 2 - 4026
8 ) The Club - 3672
9) Bioshock - 3489
10) The Witcher - 3121
11) Need for Speed ProStreet - 3061
12) Crysis - 2847
13) Conflict: Denied Ops - 2085
14) Neverwinter Nights 2 - 1893
15) Hellgate: London - 1750
16) World in Conflict - 1531
17) Stranglehold - 1459
18) The Orange Box - 1341
19) Age of Empires - 1099
20) Flat Out 2 - 1074

Thirdly, let's try a little really rough - if conservative - maths. Call of Duty 4 has been on sale for 113 days, assuming day zero piracy. A seven gig torrent, assuming a 100k download speed, takes just under a day to download. Assuming that the rate of downloads now is constant across those whole three and a bit months - which is incredibly conservative, of course, as it'd have been much higher upon release - that means 993496 copies will have been illegally downloaded via Mininova alone.

http://kotaku.com/364440/pc-gamings-piracy-sales-charts

Ironlore redeemed
saelz8 said:
other recent threads on piracy here @ NeoGAF:

Five Ways to Fight Software Piracy

Game Theory #41 - Piracy Rant

Big Piracy study from the UK - 70% claims reason is lack of choice

Something HAS to be done about PC gaming piracy. But what?

Chris Taylor (Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander): Piracy Made Us Do Console Ports

Another take on PC game piracy (ridiculously high piracy rate inside)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Pirate excuse #1008, "I wasn't going to buy it anyways, so your torrent figures are meaningless."

I swear I hear that every time this discussion comes up.

Stitch

Gold Member
Not.this.shit.again.jpg

diddlyD

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Sad part?

Assassins Creed isn't out yet.

who are the little shits that always leak this stuff early? internal to the dev/publisher? replicator? press with review copies?

these are the people you need to drop the hammer on.

Burger

Is piracy killing the Xbox360 ? Is it killing the Wii ? The PS1 ? The PS2 ? The Xbox ?

Everything will be cracked eventually, people will steal games. That's a fact for now. Publishers need to start giving people incentives NOT to copy that floppy, as opposed to more and more useless copy protection, which lets face it, doesn't work.

PC Piracy exists and is more rampant now then ever.

The PC market should've grown but in most sectors is declining. The only sustainble region of PC gaming is the MMO/Subscription Model.

Undoubtedly....some games will sell no matter what. But selling well =/= selling to potential.

Thats why it is not only unexpected and unsurprising that most PC developers are moving to consoles...it is inevitable.

Pimpbaa

Burger said:
Is piracy killing the Xbox360 ? Is it killing the Wii ? The PS1 ? The PS2 ? The Xbox ?

Everything will be cracked eventually, people will steal games. That's a fact for now. Publishers need to start giving people incentives NOT to copy that floppy, as opposed to more and more useless copy protection, which lets face it, doesn't work.

Alot harder to play pirated games on consoles. It's just way too easy on PC.

Grayman

Draft said:
Is like sticking your head in the sand during a nuclear war.
except the bombs are falling in a parallel universe and not killing you will the people dropping the bombs are reaping the benefit of dropping them?

Tiktaalik

Burger said:

Someone dig up some similar stats for console piracy on mininova and lets compare. I'd do it myself but I'm at work right now.

KTallguy

Banned
Vast Inspiration said:
The PC market should've grown but in most sectors is declining. The only sustainble region of PC gaming is the MMO/Subscription Model.

Unfortunately, this is true.

I'd love to see a model based on STEAM that is somehow not hackable, but obviously :lol nothing is unhackable.

Is it hard to play TF2 or CS online if you didn't buy it?

pr0cs

Burger said:
Publishers need to start giving people incentives NOT to copy that floppy, as opposed to more and more useless copy protection, which lets face it, doesn't work.
people will always steal unless you pay them not to, there is likely very little publishers can to do to make people buy more games other than server side activation or something in the middle monitoring each copy.

Draft

Vast Inspiration said:
PC Piracy exists and is more rampant now then ever.

Undoubtedly....some games will sell no matter what. But selling well =/= selling to potential.

Thats why it is not only unexpected and unsurprising that most PC developers are moving to consoles...it is inevitable.
PC market actually growing year over year in all sectors, in spite of lost revenue to piracy.

neight

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Pirate excuse #1008, "I wasn't going to buy it anyways, so your torrent figures are meaningless."

I swear I hear that every time this discussion comes up.
Or they claim they don't buy it because of a decline in artistic quality. Then why are you pirating the damn thing? It interested you enough to want to play it. And if one thinks the cost is too much that's too bad consumer products aren't made for the common good they're made for profit.

I understand that not everyone is going to afford to buy everything they pirate. What irks me is how they try to justify it.

bjork

So since MMO is the way to protect against pirates or whatever... someone make MMOregon Trail, already! I'll pay $19/mo

laserbeam

Banned
Piracy is a problem but I don't think its nearly as large as hyped.

Pirates don't seem to buy tons of crap. Seeing that list is comprised of tons of crap it is logical they wouldn't buy them. Much like the Music Industry all this talk of lost profit is based on hypothetical Buyers. You cant lose money if the person never would have bought in the first place.

By no means do I support Piracy but I do oppose the Corporate Greed that is behind Suing 70 year old ladies etc. The Industry needs to learn and adapt. Stardock as a company puts no copy protection on their games and they sell extremely well due to the motivation they gave to buy.

Stardock has been so successful. Copy protection Companies have tried to sabotage them offering links to torrent sites etc on their own forums to get people to pirare

kenta

Has no PEINS
WOW Assassin's Creed comes out on top!

CoD4 still going strong!!!!

Orange Box doesn't have legs :(

Anyone have LTD on Bioshock????

Narag

bjork said:
So since MMO is the way to protect against pirates or whatever... someone make MMOregon Trail, already! I'll pay $19/mo

Can I party up with you and if so, are you willing to die if you contract typhoid or break your leg? Oregon or bust, baby.

YYZ

Assassin's Creed was "nuked" because it's not the final build. The Kotaku article mentions this as well.

Basically their answer for the lack of variety is adding four (?) more investigation techniques or whatever they're called.

saelz8

KTallguy said:
Unfortunately, this is true.

I'd love to see a model based on STEAM that is somehow not hackable, but obviously :lol nothing is unhackable.

Is it hard to play TF2 or CS online if you didn't buy it?
No, it's not hard, but most people choose not to go that route.

It's not hard to crack WoW either, but people would rather play on the legitimate servers.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yea. this is nothing new..

Ass creed is a pre release copy i believe, it also crashes at a certain point :lol .

LegatoB

This seems like a confirmation to me that current anti-piracy measures do not work, and only harass legitimate users. Can we lose the DVD-checks and elaborate protection schemes now?

Pachael

Burger said:

Apparently piracy has killed the PSP and the DC.

SupahBlah

Banned
diddlyD said:
who are the little shits that always leak this stuff early? internal to the dev/publisher? replicator? press with review copies?

these are the people you need to drop the hammer on.

Its usually where the discs are pressed.

You should look at the torrents for God of War: Chains of Olympus which is probably more than Assassin's Creed (I saw at least two on 8000 seeds) or 360 games (they won't be as populated but still).

Hopefully the PS3 remains piracy free.

laserbeam

Banned
SupahBlah said:
Its usually where the discs are pressed.

You should look at the torrents for God of War: Chains of Olympus which is probably more than Assassin's Creed (I saw at least two on 8000 seeds) or 360 games (they won't be as populated but still).

The PS3 will until the Blu Ray Burners become cheaper. At that point piracy will boom there. The Storage capacity is all that restricts it now

ag-my001

LegatoB said:
This seems like a confirmation to me that current anti-piracy measures do not work, and only harass legitimate users. Can we lose the DVD-checks and elaborate protection schemes now?
Speaking of which, you'll notice that Sins of a Solar Empire, with no copy protection to speak of, does not appear on the list. And we can conjecture from the Amazon PC sales charts that the game would have been more popular than other games on the list.

{Mike}

Banned
Well, PC gaming has been dead for at least a decade anyway. Who cares when you have everything with good controllers on consoles now. Also, you don't have to install (except some titles recently on PS3), which is also a plus. PC brings nothing, except for fans of FPS games that can't adapt to controllers.

oh my god there are people pirating games? no way!?

{Mike} said:
Well, PC gaming has been dead for at least a decade anyway. Who cares when you have everything with good controllers on consoles now. Also, you don't have to install (except some titles recently on PS3), which is also a plus. PC brings nothing, except for fans of FPS games that can't adapt to controllers.

i pray to sweet raptor jesus that you're kidding.

Kabouter

Secondly: The torrent kids will go wild for shooting stuff. In fact, any kind of shooting stuff. They don’t even care if it’s any good, as the sixth-position for the poorly-reviewed Turning Point demonstrates. While there’s more strategic games there, what’s also worth noting that the current big game - Sins of A Solar Empire - is absent, despite sitting #2 in the US retail charts. Which you may say is a cute demographic snapshot - though, I’ll note, that while relatively few people are downloading it, despite the fact it has no copy protection, it’s the second-most seeded torrent - even if no-one’s taking, people seem determined to try and distribute it for some reason.
Interesting.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
SupahBlah said:

It wont. Hacker's / Homebrewer's will always want to get their shit working on new hardware. It's a challange to them, its what they love.

Snaku

Banned
To think that piracy is NOT killing PC gamng is sticking your head in the sand during a nuclear war.

Question. If the bomb was dropped a good distance away, would my head survive in the sand?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
laserbeam said:
The PS3 will until the Blu Ray Burners become cheaper. At that point piracy will boom there. The Storage capacity is all that restricts it now

Yeah, when a burnable DL BD starts costing less than $15, the piracy will begin. At this moment in time, it's just not worth it to them. You'd pay more for the disc than just buying the game.

{Mike}

Banned
Snaku said:
Question. If the bomb was dropped a good distance away, would my head survive in the sand?

Better interrogation : if a tree falls and you are miles away from it, does it make sound?

Ashhong

evlcookie said:
It wont. Hacker's / Homebrewer's will always want to get their shit working on new hardware. It's a challange to them, its what they love.

i used to believe that. but the ps3 is going on 1 year and a half with no solution in sight yet. plus its not like people can just burn copies of it. who knows...

YYZ

{Mike} said:
The stupidity in this makes me wonder.

laserbeam

Banned
Ashhong said:
what about piracy killing psp? the stats for GoW are pretty high too

Theres more to the PSPs problem then piracy. It would literally have to have an unheard of ratio of piracy to legitimate purchases to be as poor as it is at selling software.

I think it has alot more to do with what people are buying the PSP for and its not games apparently. SNES emulators seem pretty popular though on it.

Top Bottom