• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cilonen

The Icebreaker 'secret' will be out; enjoy it folks, it's a beautiful thing :)

Is the Xur engram guaranteed to be for your class after the loot patch or is it still a crapshoot?

Deku Tree

I just spent motes of light on an exotic engram that I plan on breaking down for shards so that I can level up to 29 later after I farm some spin metal. When I went to the cryptarch, the engram luckily became a helmet for my class. I already have a fully leveled helmet though....

Sure, you need strange coins, but those are not hard to get, especially since all the NFs have been exploitable. And yes I readily realize that many people probably don't have 17 strange coins and don't even complete nightfall. I will also say that those folks won't be part of the group who plays the game 4 months from now.

I don't understand how Xur is crucial to anything end-game wise. Exotics aren't needed to finish any content.

Many of the complaints about Xur are the same I heard about the stupid auction house in Diablo 3. And many of the defenses to Xur are the same I heard about the defenses to the auction house. "It removes RNG", "It helps the average player gear up", "Don't use it if you dont' want to", "How does it hurt your enjoyment of the game if I buy my weapon from the AH?", "Items aren't free, you still need to farm the gold!" etc etc. Blizzard was wise enough to realize that making it so easy to get top gear destroys the purpose of a loot game. Here, Xur isn't as bad as D3's AH, but it is effectively doing the same thing by offering up the top weapons.

I've played so many loot games over the years, and I've seen systems that work and those that don't work. There are many aspects of Destiny's that don't work, or at least are counter productive to the long term viability of the game for many folks. Again, for some folks, it's great, and I've bought a Suros from Xur (only to have it drop for me 2 days later), so I understand the appeal, but I secretly hope Xur goes away.

Or, at least, Bungie introduces new weapons. I'd be okay with Xur if he didn't sell the top tier weapons (too late now, so new weapons are needed). Let's say there are 3 levels of exotics - good, great, and extremely fucking good. It's okay to sell the Good/great but leave the extremely fucking good to chance. Interestingly, I think Bungie may have tried to do this, as I believe Xur isn't capable of selling all exotics (e.g., he'll never sell the Last Word). But what he does sell, though, tends to be the best stuff anyway.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I think right now the only "Super Good" weapons are the primaries with elemental damage (raid weapons.)

Hoping that in an upcoming expansion, these will be the only weapons that can be upgraded to a higher level that matches new content that comes out.

But I think thats just wishful thinking.

realcZk

I just spent motes of light on an exotic engram that I plan on breaking down for shards so that I can level up to 29 later after I farm some spin metal.

Everyone says Xur sells exotics but all I see are shards, shards, shards. :) I got raid gear that needs feeding.

RedFury

Crap Xur has that helm I want for my Titan but I am one strange coin short. Annoying.

Already did the weekly heroic too. Guess I need to shoot up a prayer to RNG and hope it is kind

Oh yeah, was doing crucible with some friends and got a SUROS Regime. Man is this thing killer.
Farm events on earth

Homeboyd

Haha, yeah yeah, I know... it's the one of two weapons in the game I am still really pining for. The other being an exotic or legendary hand cannon.

Way to rain on my Shadow Price parade, lol
The AE literally rains on everyone and everything's parade. It's just stupid good. And I'm sorry. Buy the ice breaker today and you will feel better about everything in your life.

Shito

What's the difference between this and Diablo 3 then?

If there is a game where you complete the same content, every day, every week, over and over, just for the chance at getting better loot in order to do the same content, every day, every week, more effectively, then I consider that a loot game. What else is driving the player? Certainly not the story.
Have you noticed the difference in the amount of loot Diablo and Destiny allow for?
In Destiny, you don't complete the same content over and over for a chance at random loot, you do it to farm rep / marks / mats / coins and motes. This is the main mechanism at play, EVERY activity after level 20 give you one or more of those, because in the long run this is the quickest and safest way to gear up. Loots are just random bonuses that CAN speed up the process, and that are here to keep people addicted by providing them a lucky boost in this routine.
The only element that is 100% loot in Destiny is raid gear. And I wouldn't be surprised if after the inclusion of newer raids, gears from the old ones started appearing in town...

AEejdBn.jpg

How did I miss this, yesterday?!
I am betting that's a hard clear without having done the normal raid yet. You get double the drops per boss. Still, that's a pretty impressive haul!

Shit, the way people are talking about Icebreaker, with my love for using a sniper as my secondary, it sounds like I should really get it. I only have two strange coins though since I just hot 20. Is it feasible to grind out 15 more before he leaves?

Cømet

Banned
Awww yiss, muthafuckin' Ice Breaker.

I'd buy two, but my Warlock gets a handmedown FWC sniper instead since he needs the voidfang coat more than a fancy sniper.

My titan's locked and loaded though. Just Gjahallorn to go. Such a sweet, sweet weapon (is both of them).

Gonna run the heroic strike on lvl 26 later on my Warlock if anyone wants in. Poor guy's a little too low level for the 28, hasn't benefited from the ridiculous amount of time I put into my titan.

Sure, you need strange coins, but those are not hard to get, especially since all the NFs have been exploitable. And yes I readily realize that many people probably don't have 17 strange coins and don't even complete nightfall. I will also say that those folks won't be part of the group who plays the game 4 months from now.

Okay, I have GOT to stop you there.

This is total bullshit.

1) I tried Nightfall for the first time last night, but we didn't finish it, got wiped in the last boss fight and moved on to easier pastures.

2) I have 13 coins, but will be playing Tiger until Sunday Morning kinda non-stop in the hopes that I make it to 17 through Engrams.

3) I've now had Destiny for a month, have crested my Titan to level 27.like92socloseto28 and have focused my activities to a pretty slim amount of stuff, mostly strikes and bounty-related story missions

4) And after all that, Destiny is still the most fun game I've ever played, narrowly beating out WipEout for the crown.

So saying people like me won't be playing in four months is an hilariously off base hypothesis. Consider it refuted.

WITHE1982

Shit, the way people are talking about Icebreaker, with my love for using a sniper as my secondary, it sounds like I should really get it. I only have two strange coins though since I just hot 20. Is it feasible to grind out 15 more before he leaves?

Yes, if you've not done the weekly strike. Just do it on level 28 (9 coins) then use your alt (which you may or may not have) to do the level 24 for 6 coins = icebreaker for you.

Meier

Will definitely snag the Ice Breaker then given the constant ammo regen.. that's wild. I only have two purple weapons and one is a Hand Cannon and the other is a sniper I got from the Queen's missions. Sad to read all the people hating on the Bad Juju since I am working towards that from my Exotic Bounty.

That SUROS is insane. I have a level 19 Ningen-E that has very high stability and it's fantastic. I got a lvl 20 with higher base damage but the stability is so low (maybe 30%) that it's almost unusable IMO. Can't imagine all that damage with that high of stability!

You sound angry.

You continue to post statistics on the entire player base of Destiny. I'm not concerned with those numbers. This is a gaming website for people who play the game A LOT.

Anyways, I think we are over this discussion. Different strokes for different folks. I'm done debating it.

Please stop trying to deflect the argument by making assumptions how I feel. GAF makes me laugh, not get mad. Actual news articles about things that matter, they might get me mad, but even that is rare. Your insistence on ignoring the reality of the situation, that's fine. You can go cry in the corner. I am sorry Destiny is being ruined for you by others getting a new shiny toy. I provide arguments against how exotics aren't even close to being "common" and the best you came back with is, "you seem mad". The only thing you seemed concerned about is getting others to acknowledge this hilarious pity party you feel you deserve. You seem like a really sad person. See, playing the assumption game is fun! (I hope you realize that is intentional sarcasm. I don't need to result to personal attacks to bolster a poor argument)

hydruxo

If you haven't done the weekly heroic or nightfall yet, then yes. Otherwise, nope no chance.

RedFury

Wow just got my ice breaker it breaks PvE, that's not a complaint. It's already more powerful than my P&T and infinite ammo? Nice. Does nightfall buff also increase rep.

Shito

I'm actually positive that all three blueprints I've found have come from chests on the moon.
Got one from a chest on Earth. ^^
And I got Outrageous Fortune from a bounty two days ago.
Which felt like an ironic jab at the fact that I have yet to see an exotic bounty...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Have you noticed the difference in the amount of loot Diablo and Destiny allow for?
In Destiny, you don't complete the same content over and over for a chance at random loot, you do it to farm rep / marks / mats / coins and motes. This is the main mechanism at play, EVERY activity after level 20 give you one or more of those, because in the long run this is the quickest and safest way to gear up. Loots are just random bonuses that CAN speed up the process, and that are here to keep people addicted by providing them a lucky boost in this routine.
The only element that is 100% loot in Destiny is raid gear. And I wouldn't be surprised if after the inclusion of newer raids, gears from the old ones started appearing in town...

I think most people do nightfalls and raids for gear, not for reps, marks or mats. In fact, the emotion most associated with receiving anything non-gear in a raid is pure rage, e.g., "FUCK THESE FUCKING SHARDS AGAIN GOD DAMMIT FUCK YOU BUNGIE". :)

Anyway, I can't hate on Xur too much since my warlock can use a new chest! This blue rare chest was getting long in the tooth.

You can get a bunch (7?) of strange coins as a reward for one of the strikes - maybe the weekly heroic on level 28. But if you're 20 you'd definitely need someone to carry you through it. I don't think its very likely you'd get that many in two days, sorry :(.

Navy Bean

I couldn't agree with you more.

I think right now the only "Super Good" weapons are the primaries with elemental damage (raid weapons.)

Hoping that in an upcoming expansion, these will be the only weapons that can be upgraded to a higher level that matches new content that comes out.

But I think thats just wishful thinking.
They simply need to add more high-level weapons and this wouldn't be an issue. But, I'm actually thrilled there is ONE area of the game that ensures you can get good stuff without having to rely on the endless grind and luck. And make no mistake, for the average player you still have to put in a decent amount of work to get 23 coins. In about 80+ hours of play including multiple raids I've received exactly 4 legendary weapons and no exotics. So, Xur is my hero...

Juraash

I got that too :(

Does anyone actually use purple scout rifles or pulse rifles? I have a purple pulse rifle I use sometimes, but I feel like I do at least as well if not better with my blue level 20 Silvered Hushwind auto rifle (it's basically a shingen-e)

I use a purple scout rifle exclusively for my primary. Granted, I dislike PvP immensely so I've never cared if the ROF isn't through the roof. The only other primary weapon type i like is handcannons.

Nameless

Hahah. I am being intentionally patronizing and I think it is hilarious that people are mad us peasants got an exotic. I could give two shits how butthurt they are. I got an icebreaker today, it is fucking awesome and I am mad stoked.

Please. No one's butthurt and no one is calling people who didn't obtain great gear naturally peasants.

A. It's just a perplexing design choice to make the consensus best weapons in the game so easily attainable when inferior weapons(stuff from Vanguard & Crucible vendors, exotic bounties, etc..) take so much more effort to get.

B. I could care less Xur sells exotics. Funny how no one said a word when he was selling Red Death. Just like this discussion wouldn't be happening if Hard Light was in his inventory this morning. It's not about ego stroking our feeling superior to "peasants", atleast not for me. But when the immediate reaction to Ice Breaker being available for purchase is a string of "lol lol lol, [insert toughest content in the game] is going to be such a cakewalk now, lol". You honestly don't see how this could adversely effect a game that's not exactly played in a vacuum? Just read the thread title for RNGesus's sake.

Shito

I think most people do nightfalls and raids for gear, not for reps, marks or mats. In fact, the emotion most associated with receiving anything non-gear in a raid is pure rage, e.g., "FUCK THESE FUCKING SHARDS AGAIN GOD DAMMIT FUCK YOU BUNGIE". :)
Oh yes, a lot of people are playing it like they would a loot game. And it's hardly their fault, but Bungie's for not being clear enough / give enough things to sell to faction vendors.

Please stop trying to deflect the argument by making assumptions how I feel. GAF makes me laugh, not get mad. Actual news articles about things that matter, they might get me mad, but even that is rare. Your insistence on ignoring the reality of the situation, that's fine. You can go cry in the corner. I am sorry Destiny is being ruined for you by others getting a new shiny toy. I provide arguments against how exotics aren't even close to being "common" and the best you came back with is, "you seem mad". The only thing you seemed concerned about is getting others to acknowledge this hilarious pity party you feel you deserve. You seem like a really sad person. See, playing the assumption game is fun! (I hope you realize that is intentional sarcasm. I don't need to result to personal attacks to bolster a poor argument)

u mad

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, I have GOT to stop you there.

This is total bullshit.

1) I tried Nightfall for the first time last night, but we didn't finish it, got wiped in the last boss fight and moved on to easier pastures.

2) I have 13 coins, but will be playing Tiger until Sunday Morning kinda non-stop in the hopes that I make it to 17 through Engrams.

3) I've now had Destiny for a month, have crested my Titan to level 27.like92socloseto28 and have focused my activities to a pretty slim amount of stuff, mostly strikes and bounty-related story missions

4) And after all that, Destiny is still the most fun game I've ever played, narrowly beating out WipEout for the crown.

So saying people like me won't be playing in four months is an hilariously off base hypothesis. Consider it refuted.

Always exceptions to everything :) But in other similar games, there's a large population who stop playing completely after a certain point. I expect Destiny to be similar. If not, then more power to Bungie!

Btw, there's a spot on the last boss in the nightfall where you can kill the boss easily without dying. There are vids on youtube. Also, if you are on PS4, I'd be happy to run the Nightfall with you.

Haybro

What's the consensus on Luck Raspberry?

I have the coin for it this week, but if I equip it it's going to set me back in my quest to hit level 28.

I have the knucklehead radar equipped with no back up helm, and if I dismantle my queen's guard chest I won't get any of the shards back that I dumped into it.

Is it better than my knucklehead radar?

Definity

What's people think of the voidfang armor ability? Never use that grenade and looks like you can respawn with the grenade ready?

Homeboyd

I want AE so badly.
I mean it's probably not better than the mythoclast, but I've never used that so I'm not sure. The AE melts minotaurs (and praetorians) though. Great for raids and can still use the Ice Breaker as well.

Also, people saying you can have infinite ammo with the patience and time sniper... how?

Regarding the loot vs purchase discussion, I can see both sides of the argument. People who find rare weapons want them to remain rare and people with little time or bad luck want to play with shiney toys.

In a game like Destiny though, I think it's fine. From what I understand you can't get bounty weapons from Xür, nor can you get bounties for his stuff (again, correct me if I'm wrong) so the system caters for both kinds of people. If Xür does one day pop up with a Pocket Infinity or something it will be a lil disappointing but really people should just be glad that others are getting these cool guns. Me and my friend were dual blasting our 8 shot full auto Infinitys the other day, and as we get nicer guns our runs become easier and are more enjoyable.

These people are out there enjoying these new shiney shinies and it doesn't really affect your experience when youre in 16 person instances.

A. It's just a perplexing design choice to make the consensus best weapons in the game so easily attainable when inferior weapons(stuff from Vanguard & Crucible vendors, exotic bounties, etc..) take so much more effort to get.

I think this is an important point. Grinding crucible/vanguard/whatever rep high enough to buy legendary weapons is an hours game. Play the RNG (strange coin acquisition) game for far less hours and you have a shot at weapons that are leagues better.

stb

Been lurking in these OTs from the jump, but just getting around to posting. Thanks to everyone (esp. Hawkian) for the various info, it's helped a lot since I don't get to play much.

Question about Xur's wares this week:

I'm 1 light away from level 26, and a Titan. I have 15 strange coins. The helm seems like it'd benefit my game the more than the Ice Breaker, but i recognize the Ice Breaker is exceedingly rare. Am I better off getting the Helm of Inmost Light, or working at 2 more coins and getting the Ice Breaker? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom