• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

God dammit ever since Sorian said that stuff about this kind of statement being suspicious I can't unsee them. They're going to become an inside joke like the "boarding a train be back later" thing now, aren't they?
Well, I personally thought Trigger might be a bit scummy because at the time I thought he started an El Topo lynch train but while re-reading for Batcomputer stuff I found this wasn't the case. However, some of Trigger's recent behavior has brought it back into the limelight for me.
Also, I am about to board a plane that is inside of a train that is on top of a car
I will be back in 20 nanoseconds

Today I want to lynch an inactive.

Those, imo, are
Mazre, may have quantity but not quality
Popomatic, he said he'd be back by now
Xam, same as Mazre, despite his reads just there. He's been hanging around to joke but mostly not playing

Fluxwavez, but yeah....that's Probably not going to fly with people while the role is empty

Karu is middling, I feel like he has contributed barely minimally but should review again

Previously inactive were
TL
Coppanuva
Trigger

But they've contributed more on day two. I'll need to check over the content again before making a solid read, but if they're participating I'm willing to look elsewhere today.
Fam I have been doing things outside of reading
Like arguing with Karkador

Karkador

Banned
Also, dooming one player over another when you know nothing concrete about either is the entire point of mafia. Back to the drawing board with you.

This is nonsense. The point of mafia is for people to vote on players to eliminate. It's a collective decision. You haven't been helping Town at all. Every step of the way, you've not even offered a useful or decent explanation or for why your actions help us. You're a scam, and I feel sorry for those who are letting it slide for this nebulous "better target" idea.

VOTE: Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

This is nonsense. The point of mafia is for people to vote on players to eliminate. It's a collective decision. You haven't been helping Town at all. Every step of the way, you've not even offered a useful or decent explanation or for why your actions help us. You're a scam, and I feel sorry for those who are letting it slide for this nebulous "better target" idea.

I'm tired of repeating the same points, so do what you want.

Anyway, everyone seems keen to ignore Launchpad's painfully scummy proposal, but I'm leaving my vote on him for the rest of the day, barring any last-minute vote shenanigans like yesterday.

roytheone

Vote count:

coppanuva (1)
sorian 907 (1024)
fireblend 1440 (1575)
sorian 1459

camjo-z (2)
launchpadmcq 909 (1247)
mazre 1535
karkador 1605

fluxwavez (0)
fireblend 914 (1440)
xamtheking 1101 (1493)
weemadarthur 1160 (1229)
trigger 1171 (1254)

pop-o-matic (1)
fluxwavez 917

karu (0)
sorian 1024 (1232)

karkador (0)
sorian 1232 (1329)
camjo-z 1259 (1392)
tl21xx 1261 (1563)

sorian (0)
karkador 1246 (1509)
launchpadmcq 1247 (1453)

mazre (5)
weemadarthur 1307
trigger 1327
xamtheking 1493
ty4on 1558
tl21xx 1581

tl21xx (0)
sorian 1329 (1329)
sorian 1451 (1459)

ty4on (0)
sorian 1329 (1451)

launchpadmcq (1)
camjo-z 1392

xamtheking (1)
launchpadmcq 1453

trigger (1)
karkador 1509 (1605)
fireblend 1575

9 votes are needed for majority!
bla_1459544400.png

Ty4on

I will be busy today and at work during the deadline so I can't be very active.

I have had one thought about the batcomputer since yesterday. Anybody here heard of the Monty Hall problem? It's very popular because of how unintuitive the answer is. You can google or search on YT for dozens of explanations. What I'm thinking of here is similar, but not quite the same. We never chose a door, scum only opened one for us.

The chance of there being a scum in one of the four names Kark bolded is roughly 2/3. Scum can only flip townies so the chance one of the three bolded still alive is scum is still the same. Additionally I think scum were a bit scared that Kark hit at least one scum (it is counter intuitive, right?) and killed SkyOdin to show town that it wasn't a list of scum. Now SkyOdin makes more sense as a NK candidate because he was the towniest of the marked players. The NK does however mean that any of the marked players are more likely to be scum than the rest if Kark made that list by random chance. That's why I want to lynch one of them.

Trigger

I'm really more scummy than someone who has outright refused to post any read lists like Mazre? He's been barely trying.

I would also be down with a trigger vote if he doesn't speak up soon.

Speak up in what sense? I already commented on Kark's accusation. Is there something specifically that you want me to address?

Trigger

Well, I personally thought Trigger might be a bit scummy because at the time I thought he started an El Topo lynch train but while re-reading for Batcomputer stuff I found this wasn't the case. However, some of Trigger's recent behavior has brought it back into the limelight for me.
Also, I am about to board a plane that is inside of a train that is on top of a car

I'm really more scummy than someone who has outright refused to post any read lists like Mazre? He's been barely trying.

Should be clear that this is what prompted my comment. I'd like to hear more from Xam because I feel like he's just trying to subtly bandwagon.

There's is some serious gun-jumping going on with Mazre that I cannot abide by. Seriously, since when is attacking inactives or people who have trouble getting to the game thread a viable tactic? You really think mafia would attract attention to themselves with something so easy to call out? You would think TL would have learned his lesson, after 5+ games of 1 posts per day phase
btw he was town every single time, wasn't he?

I didn't understand you posts, tbh. It's what happens when your goal is to talk the game into submission rather than get a point across.

snap

I really don't understand why anyone would think I'm lying. I have nothing to gain from faking my role PM. Like, apparently you all think I'm smart enough to have some crazy hidden agenda, but you choose to ignore the fact that I've picked the least optimal plays to achieve my supposed goals. According to Kark I'm scum who chose the least useful scum target at the end of the day to save a maf buddy who wasn't going to die anyway, when I could have chosen anyone and played it off as a gut read. According to Launchpad I'm a killing neutral who knows he's a killing neutral but for some reason told town about this at all instead of just keeping it a secret and claiming Dick Grayson/Nightwing or something instead. It's time to grab Occam's Razor and shave those gnarly beards, y'all.

Because I contend, as I always have, that to be an effective scum player you have to operate in a certain grey area. You have to leave just enough doubt so that players don't know what to do with you. Right now, that's where most of us are with you - you were a mayor, that much is certain, but why even give us the rest of that information? Transparency? Are we supposed to buy that you shared this information because you wanted to be honest with us, when you've clearly stated you think there is a secondary ability attached to your role? It doesn't take a smart player to figure it out: if you think you're bulletproof, you keep it to yourself. Nobody shares that information.

Fam I have been doing things outside of reading
Like arguing with Karkador

Alright princess
You've been civil to me this game
I see no reason not to be nice back, I guess

Meanwhile, we've got this fucking guy, who posts a bunch of noncommital nonsense and a bunch of snappy one-liners. Are we supposed to believe this guy is town? Seriously?

You know, Count Vertigo isn't traditionally a Batman villain, but the way this town doesn't know up from down, you would certainly think so.

There's is some serious gun-jumping going on with Mazre that I cannot abide by. Seriously, since when is attacking inactives or people who have trouble getting to the game thread a viable tactic? You really think mafia would attract attention to themselves with something so easy to call out? You would think TL would have learned his lesson, after 5+ games of 1 posts per day phase
btw he was town every single time, wasn't he?

Meanwhile, we've got this fucking guy, who posts a bunch of noncommital nonsense and a bunch of snappy one-liners. Are we supposed to believe this guy is town? Seriously?

You know, Count Vertigo isn't traditionally a Batman villain, but the way this town doesn't know up from down, you would certainly think so.

Please. Mazre isn't having trouble getting to the thread. He's flat out refusing to play ball. Ditto with Xam, who is right there next to him on my 'inactive' list, which isn't about post count btw. People want to vote out Xam, I'll smile. Feel free to make a case and try to get enough players to go with your priorities.

Please. Mazre isn't having trouble getting to the thread. He's flat out refusing to play ball. Ditto with Xam, who is right there next to him on my 'inactive' list, which isn't about post count btw. People want to vote out Xam, I'll smile. Feel free to make a case and try to get enough players to go with your priorities.

Xam is also the only one who actively pressed me for details on my role.

Sorian

Banned
I didn't understand you posts, tbh. It's what happens when your goal is to talk the game into submission rather than get a point across.

I'll do it in two bite sized points then.

1) He told us a lot more than he needed to about his role, if he was worried about being a betrayer or whatever why even mention it at all, he could have just claimed his name and said all he has is an override.
2) With the extra information given, he is no longer an easy night kill target. Scum has to worry about their kill missing or something else happening.

God dammit ever since Sorian said that stuff about this kind of statement being suspicious I can't unsee them. They're going to become an inside joke like the "boarding a train be back later" thing now, aren't they?

Scum does it a lot.

I will be busy today and at work during the deadline so I can't be very active.

I have had one thought about the batcomputer since yesterday. Anybody here heard of the Monty Hall problem? It's very popular because of how unintuitive the answer is. You can google or search on YT for dozens of explanations. What I'm thinking of here is similar, but not quite the same. We never chose a door, scum only opened one for us.

The chance of there being a scum in one of the four names Kark bolded is roughly 2/3. Scum can only flip townies so the chance one of the three bolded still alive is scum is still the same. Additionally I think scum were a bit scared that Kark hit at least one scum (it is counter intuitive, right?) and killed SkyOdin to show town that it wasn't a list of scum. Now SkyOdin makes more sense as a NK candidate because he was the towniest of the marked players. The NK does however mean that any of the marked players are more likely to be scum than the rest if Kark made that list by random chance. That's why I want to lynch one of them.

This is what I've been saying for awhile now (without the Monty Hall problem mixed in but you're right that it's a good way to explain it). I'm also well aware that I am one of the bolded names.

-----------

This Mazre lynch is growing because of the policy aspects of it I'm assuming? I doubt he is scum still. He drew way too much attention to himself day 1, it's easy to say that he didn't get lynched then but he drew a target on his back that was never going to go away for a lazy lynch or investigative roles. Town Mazre acts like a fool and scum Mazre plays serious and provides good reads. I'm passing on that vote. Using just weemad's post as a guide out of the least active she listed: Mazre, Pop, Xam. I'd rather go with Xam. I don't think Mazre is scum per my post above. Pop is obnoxious with this not playing but changing to a policy lynch now will feel like a wasted day. I'd really rather hit scum right now then deal with Pop for a majority of day 3 and see if the fear of being policy lynched draws him back in because I doubt it'll do it with only 7ish hours left. Xam might actually be scum. He's been playing an awkward game of trying not to step on toes but still being Xam. A Xam with nothing to worry about doesn't mind running over toes with a truck.

Topo belongs on my main inactive list. It's telling that I forgot him.

His role claim is up in the air for me. I can't see evidence that it happened.

Sorian

Banned
Also, what Launch said above. Xam and Camjo were the two that were pushing HARD on Launch's claim, asking very direct questions. The rest of us were trying to tip toe around because Launch (scummy or not) was trying to keep some information secret. Camjo was pushing because he seemed to find the whole claim to be bullshit but Xam seems to be in belief of it but was still pressing for details. Smells of scum worry.

Alright princess
You've been civil to me this game
I see no reason not to be nice back, I guess

I'll remind you Xam suspectors of this point for free.

He promises value and fails to deliver. His new, improved reads list lacked a certain something...what was it...oh yeah, effort.

Karu

Also, what Launch said above. Xam and Camjo were the two that were pushing HARD on Launch's claim, asking very direct questions. The rest of us were trying to tip toe around because Launch (scummy or not) was trying to keep some information secret. Camjo was pushing because he seemed to find the whole claim to be bullshit but Xam seems to be in belief of it but was still pressing for details. Smells of scum worry.
I have the feeling every discussion right now comes down to "Scum would be smarter than that" and similiar bullshit, but again... you could make the flipside argument that tip-toeing around a claim-demand is the smart - the scum - thing to do.

I'm quiet because I am thinking
And I don't feel I have much to contribute to the thread right now other than top town/scum
So

Top Town:
Sorian - It's fairly easy to tell when you're town, you have been doing towny things like pushing people
Fireblend - More of the same, you two seem town

Top Scum:
Weemad - Dunno why, but they send off red flags for me. Current theory is they are being carried by a very smart scum member, will look into
Mazre - Because of what I interpreted as a copy/paste roleclaim on d1, primarily. Is it not a good enough reason? Maybe, but for right now, it's all I've got

Top Neutral:
Camjo-Z - If camjo was scum, he probably would have overrided one of our more active players, and flame dying instead makes me think he's all alone in whatever the fuck this is

Says he's quiet because he's "thinking". He's been thinking for almost 3 days, it seems.

Was this so-called gambit set in motion by your predecessor or yourself?

Dawg, you're gonna have to give us something

Alright
Who's your actual target then

You're telling us to vote for Camjo
When we don't eve know what your supposed power will do to some random person

Are you not going to tell us
Or are you not allowed to tell us

Here's where he presses me for role details, probably trying to gauge whether my role is a threat to him or not.

Mazre is a scum that has no fucking idea what to do now because scum chat got disabled

Then, when he realizes there's nothing else he can get out of me or that it probably doesn't pose a threat, he pivots to Mazre, which is beyond strange because as weemad just stated, he and Mazre are basically doing the same shit - posting regularly yet contributing nothing.

then how about you just do that instead of wasting more time with drip feed nonsense

Camjo also did the same, but I guess we're ignoring him because he's "99.9% town"
?

Setting up a multiplayer gambit that may benefit scum sounds rather unappealing. The fact that the first person you approached was Karkador, who seems pretty scummy today, is not reassuring. Seriously this looks like scum team trying to communicate.

You're not very convincing.

weemad, on the other hand, was just skeptical about the whole thing. I think you just pressed it because you thought it was bullshit.

Yes, I was going to add in that you were trying to be a bit more understanding that the others:

I'm not trying to fish, honestly because I just woke up a half hour ago and I need to eat but you'll understand that it narrows the field down a lot when you say that you put something in motion yourself before this day phase started.

Sorian

Banned
Camjo also did the same, but I guess we're ignoring him because he's "99.9% town"
?

weemad, on the other hand, was just skeptical about the whole thing. I think you just pressed it because you thought it was bullshit.

Yes, I was going to add in that you were trying to be a bit more understanding that the others:[/QUOTE]

My impression of Camjo is someone who thinks you are full of shit and thus was trying to tear your claim apart so that we could vote for you. That could be a scum strategy because literally everything could be a scum strategy but that one seems too brash and short sighted, as you say weemad does the same.

What Xam did was the behavior I was looking for. Someone who believed and still pushed, gauging threat.

And as Karu says below, my "strategy" was to semi-believe and respect your boundaries which would be a scum tactic for someone who wants to appease you and get you on their side.

I have the feeling every discussion right now comes down to "Scum would be smarter than that" and similiar bullshit, but again... you could make the flipside argument that tip-toeing around a claim-demand is the smart - the scum - thing to do.

All I'll really say is that all my time playing here, I've tried to assume that scum is smart but they usually don't run high level plans. They don't fall for base traps like bringing unneeded heat to their door (Camjo's claim) but they still hit small pitfalls (getting to greedy with role fishing on a partial claim). As always, the shadow of if Topo is telling the truth is also looming over us. If scum is out of communication right now then their low level members are probably barely keeping their head above water if anything weird has happened to them today.

Sorian

Banned
I agree with your post Sorian. I'm ready to vote Xam.

Oh wait I already did.

Yes, I've always said this.

I still think Coppa is the better vote so I'm waiting to see if anyone comes this way. Xam is up there though so I'll have to abandon this (again) if there is no interest but I have time in the day before things start getting crazy.

I still think Coppa is the better vote so I'm waiting to see if anyone comes this way. Xam is up there though so I'll have to abandon this (again) if there is no interest but I have time in the day before things start getting crazy.
What are your thoughts on a Mazre lynch today

Trigger

As always, the shadow of if Topo is telling the truth is also looming over us. If scum is out of communication right now then their low level members are probably barely keeping their head above water if anything weird has happened to them today.

I'm going with Topo's claim for now. I don't find any of the people I suspect to be acting in a very coordinated way.

I agree with your post Sorian. I'm ready to vote Xam.

Oh wait I already did.

Yes, I've always said this.
Launch, the reason I was pushing you is that I wasn't going to put my eggs in your basket without a little bit more. However it seems to me that your gambit or whatever hasn't really picked up much steam, so that's a shame.

Launch, the reason I was pushing you is that I wasn't going to put my eggs in your basket without a little bit more. However it seems to me that your gambit or whatever hasn't really picked up much steam, so that's a shame.

Actually, upon further inspection, this is a rather strange thing to say. I have the 2 votes on Camjo that I wanted; I said 3 was ideal, but 2 is enough. Why would you say it hasn't picked up steam? Because there aren't any scum in there?

Trigger

I don't see enough of a case for Coppanuva honestly

Yeah, desperate is a good word.

Now you're trying to support a move which requires votes to be on Camjo. Also sucking up to Launch.

The scumminess is spreading over your body, being exuded from every pore, beading into little driblets of scumminess which you try to fling at your surroundings.

You sound desperate. He already answered that.
Sometimes I forget things
I am easily the worst forum mafia player here
----

Hey Sorian
Let me give you a hint
I have already slightly breadcrumbed my role on D1
And I shall now possibly provide a bit more information
My hope is for you, who I believe is Town, to be able to solve the puzzle without me having to full-on claim
Clue 2: Once, I was a five-headed dragon who liked to kill people.

Work was not fun yesterday
There's your magic number, Launch
Mazre is probably going to scum-slide out of danger again anyway

El Topo

By the way, will give another list for a player later. I'll omit those with even less activity than me this time. And Sorian. I'm not going to write notes to 300 posts.

Sorian

Banned
I don't see enough of a case for Coppanuva honestly

That's because every time we start getting information, we get told "be back later" The silence is part of the problem of the case.

Sometimes I forget things
I am easily the worst forum mafia player here
----

Hey Sorian
Let me give you a hint
My hope is for you, who I believe is Town, to be able to solve the puzzle without me having to full-on claim

I'll look into this. Clue 2 is "worrying" on a base level to most players because you know what that phrase will evoke for me but sure, I'll check.

Trigger

Hey Sorian
Let me give you a hint

I....

What?

Camjo-Z

Here's where he presses me for role details, probably trying to gauge whether my role is a threat to him or not.

?

I like how you provide the shadiest plot ever, and yet when pressed for details it's apparently scum trying to gauge the threat rather then rational people sniffing BS. It makes no sense for town to be taking a blind leap of faith, but I knew you'd come back at the end of the day and try to peddle this trash further anyway because clearly you specifically have something to gain from it. Otherwise, why not just accept that you totally screwed up the ability's usefulness by not reading the fine print and just claim ordinary if anybody asks your role later?

And by the way, if mafia can take "plan their actions around your ability" or whatever by simply knowing the details, what's stopping them from just killing you tonight to get a peek at your role PM?

Top Bottom