• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Asd202

I know this is a little off-topic but...
My wet dream.

A remake of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PS4/PC. Keep the story and characters and the gameplay changes mostly the same. Complete revamp the maps and the flow of the game to remove the repetitiveness. Basically make it more like VC1 in structure where one map is one chapter. Make the game look more like VC1 so remove the character art (which is very good) to keep the overall look more consistent. Name it Valkyria Chronicles: Squad 422 or Valkyria Chronicles:Unreleased Chronicle or something. Go for the "dirty dozen" angle in marketing and if done right boom you have a 9/10 maybe even 10/10 game surpassing the original.

I know it won't happen but damn that would be one amazing game...

Aah, I'd forgotten that The Edy Detachment is the greatest DLC ever created for any game, ever. The more detailed strategies required are refreshing on top of the mission story, and it's enjoyable party members from each class. Difficulty is moderately high, but not unfair. Intercept fire, team attacks and using partner complimenting talents are all absolutely required.

Owensboro

Is there a link anywhere to a printable digital manual for this PS4 version? Or even, just a link to the digital manual from the PS4 link? I found the PS3 and PC versions, but they don't look like the digital manual you can read via the PS4 Menu.

whose in your squad?
I tend to vary it but outside of the main 4 I use

Scouts: aika, occasionally Melvin

Troopers: vysse, maybe Jane

Lancers: Jann, if necessary i also have hector

Engineers: either of the darksen ladies or Homer. No real preference as I only tend to have 1 engineer at a time.

Sniper: first lady you receive, though Oscar is pretty good too.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really what to say about chapter 7 other than I did not enjoy it and consider it bad.
An invincible unit that runs around one shotting people? Why would that be okay? The level was already very hard, why add that?
I made it through though in 13 turns. Is the rest of the game like this?

Nyoro SF

Chapter 7 tips:

Don't max deploy units; leave a few empty slots; deploy at least one engineer to reload lancers
Retreat units if you have no more use for them
Hug the tank to avoid turrets
Turrets have less range than you think
Edelweiss's defense is stronger than you think (for that surprise moment)
Use Lancers and not the tank for turret-destroying shots (I know their accuracy sucks, but it's still better to rely on 1CP units)
Use grenades, not lance shots, to take out radiators once their flaps open
When Varrot mentions knocking down the blue walls, the first wall is already knocked down
Varrot mentions a force coming from "east of the structure, do not engage", Selvaria says "I will be fighting in the east and return to support you", but they should really be saying the Northeast.
Attacking units will never go after your main base, only the secondary ones, and will stick to the tank afterwards.
On that note, call up a sniper and have one ready at the main base
When "that person" appears, try to get every soldier out of the lower valley as quickly as possible (or do it beforehand).

The real flaws of the mission are:

Lancer accuracy is really, really bad and there will be so many wasted turns missing
If you have any units left in the northwest, and you've already moved Edelweiss to the southeast area ahead of Batomys, those units are done for. There's really no way to rescue them outside of maybe squeezing Edelweiss behind Batomys. But Batomys sure takes his sweet time moving forward at that spot.

One streamer I saw got really lucky because he kept his whole force behind Batomys instead of moving partially in front which most people do. Because of that he was able to pull off rescues, block shots with Edelweiss and keep moving. Not a bad idea.

I don't really what to say about chapter 7 other than I did not enjoy it and consider it bad.
An invincible unit that runs around one shotting people? Why would that be okay? The level was already very hard, why add that?
I made it through though in 13 turns. Is the rest of the game like this?

Its introducing you to the power of a
Valkyrian
and really its only so difficult due to catching you off guard. Not going to lie though, I huddled my team behind the tank to complete it lol

C7 is known to be one of the hardest in the game.

people

745 enemies defeated, 255 to go. Then to start NG++ and let someone (Edy) permanently die for the last trophy.

Although I don't usually enjoy strategy games, Valkyria Chronicles has always been one of my favorites.

muteki

Got to spend a bit of time with the game, only up to chapter ~3 I guess?

I really like the battle system so far, it is like a typical strategy game only with no grids and a closer camera. Unit movement is taking some getting used to. Moving over/around obstacles on foot has me getting hung up on corners often, but I'll get used to it. Enemy firing at you while you move around has me stressed out, sometimes I feel like I can't get into an optimal position because I'm just in a rush to get where I'm going and into targeting mode.

There are some mechanics I'm not quite understanding yet. Sometimes during an enemy attack phase or counter attack my character will crouch and most shots will miss. I don't know if that is a random thing or something I can influence to my advantage. I haven't really figured out the best use of cover either, as it seems more beneficial to just run out, attack, and run back. Still very early on though.

Baalzebup

Some missions are hard and some missions are kinda bad, but not one of the harder missions are bad. Yes, some missions expect you to be able to think on your feet and adapt, or failing that, to use the knowledge gained from failed attempts to succeed, but you are always given the tools that will allow success.

The options to adjust deployment and tactics, of doing practice runs with bone headed tactics to determine what you can or can't do, to grind as much XP and DCT you want from the skirmishes... The game is lenient on multiple different fronts, so having some dead-hard enemy units or difficult setups is hardly unreasonable.
There are some mechanics I'm not quite understanding yet. Sometimes during an enemy attack phase or counter attack my character will crouch and most shots will miss. I don't know if that is a random thing or something I can influence to my advantage. I haven't really figured out the best use of cover either, as it seems more beneficial to just run out, attack, and run back. Still very early on though.

All units have certain % of doing the evasion move when they are being shot at and they "see the shot coming." It is dependent on the class in general, class levels and there are some individual variables (Alicia is the best in this as well, not counting evasion potentials). You can influence evasion by using orders that buff it and some characters have potentials that up their evasion when they are being actively used (but do not affect their passive states). Shooting someone from directly behind them prevents evasion 100%, as does the Undodgeable Shot -potential (exactly what it says on the tin). Cover is useful when preparing for the inevitable enemy counter-attacks, as the enemies will come after you as well (The aggressiveness of the enemy AI is heavily dependent on the mission you're at). One good use of cover in active mode, even when you're on the offence, is waiting until the enemy needs to reload and then closing some of the distance and then going to aim mode before he starts to shoot again.

Shahed

Nothing is really hard. There may be some you might not prepare for properly but Trial and Error is a wonderful thing. I got slaughtered the first time on Mission 7 back in the day. I restarted the fight and knowing what was coming and what specific actions trigger certain events I could plan around it. Mission 7 is quite unique in that it pushes that aspect the hardest and it's the first roadblock/ wake up call an inexperienced player might come across. Missions 14 is probably the only other one like it, but I suppose you could say the same for 13 to a lesser extent.

Nyoro SF

Got to spend a bit of time with the game, only up to chapter ~3 I guess?

I really like the battle system so far, it is like a typical strategy game only with no grids and a closer camera. Unit movement is taking some getting used to. Moving over/around obstacles on foot has me getting hung up on corners often, but I'll get used to it. Enemy firing at you while you move around has me stressed out, sometimes I feel like I can't get into an optimal position because I'm just in a rush to get where I'm going and into targeting mode.

Evasion is a random set chance. Squad 7 has fairly good evasion stats, randomly distributed. For example at level 20, Salinas has a 35% chance of evading shots fired at him. At level 20 Alicia has a 73% chance.

Evading reduces all damage by 70%. This has actually been a flaw of the series for a while that was fixed with the rebalance mod. Because if you aim at a unit, there's no reason not to aim for headshots, but with the evasion system, if you take the chance of aiming at a unit's feet, you can't even get complimentary damage out of guessing correctly. Evasion tactics makes Shocktroopers weaker and Scouts stronger (because of retaliation).

Also it's worth putting units in cover purely for advancement and if you're close to running out of AP. Crouching units (sandbags, trenches) get a 20% damage reduction on top of being immune to criticals and still being able to evade. If you hide in grass damage is reduced by 40% (ridiculous and also fixed in the mod to be 20% instead) immune to criticals but can no longer evade. So abuse grass and crawling through it if you can.

Shahed

And that's the platinum got. After clearing everything else I needed another 100 kills in order to get my 1000. Funnily enough the platinum trophy name is 'Valkyrie of the Battlefield' and not Valkyria. That's not going to help those people who already confuse Valkyrie and Valkyria.

After being incredibly disappointed by Valkyria Chronicles II (like it was awful in pretty much every way) I wasn't sure if I still liked this game or if inwas just remembering it differently. Happy to say that I still loved this game from beginning to end, and the horror show that was the 2nd game is purely limited to the sequel that went backwards and made so many stupid choices. At this point now I'm hoping for news of Valkyria Azure Revolution more than anything. As much as I've heard VCIII is really good and fixes a lot of the problems with the 2nd game, I'm not sure I have it in me to go back and play a game designed around the PSP even if Remastered. If I do play VCIII, I'd want a remake with the original story and characters but with the mechanics, design and layout made more like the first game.

Now to play Uncharted 4 or resubscribe to FFXIV for a month? A new patch is coming....

Dad

Chapter 7 tips:

Don't max deploy units
Retreat units if you have no more use for them
Hug the tank to avoid turrets
Turrets have less range than you think
Edelweiss's defense is stronger than you think (for that surprise moment)
Use Lancers and not the tank for the majority of turret destroying shots (I know their accuracy sucks, but it's still better to rely on 1CP units)
Use grenades, not lance shots, to take out radiators once their flaps open
When Varrot mentions knocking down the blue walls, the first wall is already knocked down
Varrot mentions a force coming from "east of the structure, do not engage", Selvaria says "I will be fighting in the east and return to support you", but they should really be saying the Northeast.
Attacking units will never go after your main base, only the secondary ones
On that note, call up a sniper and have one ready at the main base

The real flaws of the mission are:

Lancer accuracy is really, really bad and there will be so many wasted turns missing
If you have any units left in the northwest, and you've already moved Edelweiss to the southeast area ahead of Batomys, those units are done for. There's really no way to rescue them outside of maybe squeezing Edelweiss behind Batomys. But Batomys sure takes his sweet time moving forward at that spot.

One streamer I saw got really lucky because he kept his whole force behind Batomys instead of moving partially in front which most people do. Because of that he was able to pull off rescues, block shots with Edelweiss and keep moving. Not a bad idea.

One thing to note for saving yourself from the most BS thing in the entire mission is
make sure you take out the radiator on the left side of the tank first. Sylveria camps that side religiously once she's out on the field, and it's completely unpredictable and trial and error based. Probably the only part of the mission I would consider pure horseshit.

Nyoro SF

One thing to note for saving yourself from the most BS thing in the entire mission is
make sure you take out the radiator on the left side of the tank first. Sylveria camps that side religiously once she's out on the field, and it's completely unpredictable and trial and error based. Probably the only part of the mission I would consider pure horseshit.

That is actually not so bad. You just have to
distract her and turn her around so her back is to the ladder. It takes her roughly 4 shots to kill a Scout, 5-6 to kill a Shock, so you have a lot of leeway for tanking damage to distract her.
I saw a noob do it yesterday (while he was sweating bullets and shouting in fear), so I know anyone can figure it out, just gotta be a bit brave... lol :)

muteki

Some missions are hard and some missions are kinda bad, but not one of the harder missions are bad. Yes, some missions expect you to be able to think on your feet and adapt, or failing that, to use the knowledge gained from failed attempts to succeed, but you are always given the tools that will allow success.

The options to adjust deployment and tactics, of doing practice runs with bone headed tactics to determine what you can or can't do, to grind as much XP and DCT you want from the skirmishes... The game is lenient on multiple different fronts, so having some dead-hard enemy units or difficult setups is hardly unreasonable.

All units have certain % of doing the evasion move when they are being shot at and they "see the shot coming." It is dependent on the class in general, class levels and there are some individual variables (Alicia is the best in this as well, not counting evasion potentials). You can influence evasion by using orders that buff it and some characters have potentials that up their evasion when they are being actively used (but do not affect their passive states). Shooting someone from directly behind them prevents evasion 100%, as does the Undodgeable Shot -potential (exactly what it says on the tin). Cover is useful when preparing for the inevitable enemy counter-attacks, as the enemies will come after you as well (The aggressiveness of the enemy AI is heavily dependent on the mission you're at). One good use of cover in active mode, even when you're on the offence, is waiting until the enemy needs to reload and then closing some of the distance and then going to aim mode before he starts to shoot again.

Evasion is a random set chance. Squad 7 has fairly good evasion stats, randomly distributed. For example at level 20, Salinas has a 35% chance of evading shots fired at him. At level 20 Alicia has a 73% chance.

Evading reduces all damage by 70%. This has actually been a flaw of the series for a while that was fixed with the rebalance mod. Because if you aim at a unit, there's no reason not to aim for headshots, but with the evasion system, if you take the chance of aiming at a unit's feet, you can't even get complimentary damage out of guessing correctly. Evasion tactics makes Shocktroopers weaker and Scouts stronger (because of retaliation).

Also it's worth putting units in cover purely for advancement and if you're close to running out of AP. Crouching units (sandbags, trenches) get a 20% damage reduction on top of being immune to criticals and still being able to evade. If you hide in grass damage is reduced by 40% (ridiculous and also fixed in the mod to be 20% instead) immune to criticals but can no longer evade. So abuse grass and crawling through it if you can.
Thanks, this all makes sense. I definitely wasn't paying attention to reloading so will be sure to think of that next time.

Baalzebup

I never get tired of the way the look of Edelweiss changes during the game as you keep upgrading it. The turret armor, armored skirts, barrel protectors... It looks like a tank even in the beginning, but the really souped up version projects force something fierce. It helps that the fully upgraded accuracy turns the main weapon into a fucking sniper cannon.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I know this is a little off-topic but...
My wet dream.

A remake of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PS4/PC. Keep the story and characters and the gameplay changes mostly the same. Complete revamp the maps and the flow of the game to remove the repetitiveness. Basically make it more like VC1 in structure where one map is one chapter. Make the game look more like VC1 so remove the character art (which is very good) to keep the overall look more consistent. Name it Valkyria Chronicles: Squad 422 or Valkyria Chronicles:Unreleased Chronicle or something. Go for the "dirty dozen" angle in marketing and if done right boom you have a 9/10 maybe even 10/10 game surpassing the original.

I know it won't happen but damn that would be one amazing game...

Why not just make a new game if your trying to change VC3 to that level? That game is what it is. Take away the character art? Rename it? Revamp the 'flow of the game for repetitiveness'?

sora87

Just rage quit 10-2. Was the rng always this bad? 5 misses in a row? One hit kills from the enemies? Kinda wish I didn't buy this, it's ruining my fond memories of the game, obviously those memories consisted of the characters and story, not the gameplay

Nyoro SF

Just rage quit 10-2. Was the rng always this bad? 5 misses in a row? One hit kills from the enemies? Kinda wish I didn't buy this, it's ruining my fond memories of the game, obviously those memories consisted of the characters and story, not the gameplay

10B is quite difficult, but you're going to have to be more descriptive than that if you want me to sympathize...

sora87

10B is quite difficult, but you're going to have to be more descriptive than that if you want me to sympathize...

Not looking for sympathy just looking to vent heh.
Just a pain in the ass when everything that could go wrong seems to do so.
Watching people play it on youtube is hilarious though, they just have alicia run right through everyone and shoot the bomb. My alicia would die before reaching the first elevator

Wagram

Sounds like something to do with your levels, equipment, traits, etc. The RNG is nothing but fair in this.

sora87

Sounds like something to do with your levels, equipment, traits, etc. The RNG is nothing but fair in this.

I've been making sure my levels match with the chapter I'm on, all my weapons and stuff are as high as they can be at the moment

Nyoro SF

RNG bullshit in Valkyria (that goes both ways most of the time)

Aim reticle spread chance
Chance of being debuffed
Potential unlocks
Evasion

Gotta have a bit of a luck factor to raise the stakes but overall I'd say the game is extremely fair.

Shahed

Bar the horrible aim of Lancers everything else is managable. I treat Potentials as a bonus really, especially when certain ones like Double Movement/Action, Hard Worker and Mooch kicking in can suddenly turn things in your favour drastically.

Nyoro SF

Bar the horrible aim of Lancers everything else is managable. I treat Potentials as a bonus really, especially when certain ones like Double Movement/Action, Hard Worker and Mooch kicking in can suddenly turn things in your favour drastically.

Yeah that's why I say pretty fair. Negative potentials hardly stop anyone bar a few really bad characters and are extremely manageable... and since positive potentials outnumber them, they'll be working in your favor nearly all the time.

Also imperial evasion numbers are pretty pathetic. I think in my first full playthrough of VC1 I saw an enemy evade only once.

Shahed

Yeah that's why I say pretty fair. Negative potentials hardly stop anyone bar a few really bad characters and are extremely manageable... and since positive potentials outnumber them, they'll be working in your favor nearly all the time.

Also imperial evasion numbers are pretty pathetic. I think in my first full playthrough of VC1 I saw an enemy evade only once.
Pretty much. More oftwn than not luck usually goes in your favour with the Evade stuff. I'm more surprised when someone actually hits Alicia once Scouts are 20.

But there times when it goes badly wrong. I cleard all the Hard Skirmishes earlier today and the one at Marberry Shore did my head in. There was like this one Shocktrooper that kept dodging and then killing Alicia when retaliating and another one elsewhere where they kept ducking Marina's shots even if I zoomed out fully. It literally happened ten times in a row and I got fed up and out it off for a while.

So while RNG is generally in your favour there are times it hates you though. Just extremely rare.

Nose Master

Just got to Chapter 7. Really dreading even attempting it. I remember it being torture on PS3. Might be where I get off this ride, tbh.

Wagram

Managed to A rank
Selvaria's Last Stand
in one try. Thank god, that mission is so damn long. I don't know why, but i'm so much better at this then the first time.

Managed to A rank
Selvaria's Last Stand
in one try. Thank god, that mission is so damn long. I don't know why, but i'm so much better at this then the first time.
I feel first time most people opt to kill all of the enemies regardless of how many turns it takes, and use as many of your troops as possible.

This time around if I can cheese a level with a cheap order I'll do so since the A rank bonus is insane.

Nose Master

Pfft. Chapter 7 was way easier than I remember. Pretty much only used Edel, Largo, and an engineer. Just parked my tank on top of
Boob Monster
and diddled around.

Nyoro SF

Pfft. Chapter 7 was way easier than I remember. Pretty much only used Edel, Largo, and an engineer. Just parked my tank on top of
Boob Monster
and diddled around.

Well pretty much every mission in the game is much easier on replay. :p

I remember watching one streamer furiously drive Edelweiss to the top embankment for safety (he didn't know about the little surprise coming), only to get one shotted in the radiator by Batomys rear cannon. He was not happy.

Nose Master

Should I feel bad for sitting in the Edelweisse "movement mode" while the enemies friendly fire each other just dumping blindly at the tank?

-Horizon-

Finished up chapter 2 and 3

Took me a couple game over screens to realize I could climb the tower lol

Also oh my god there are so many characters to choose from. Didn't have so many problems in beating chapter 3 but dang...shock troopers :/

Nyoro SF

Should I feel bad for sitting in the Edelweisse "movement mode" while the enemies friendly fire each other just dumping blindly at the tank?

Not at all. This is a staple strategy that works in every game. No mercy. :)

That being said, because of the way the map layouts are constructed (and because Edel can't move very far) there aren't many opportunities to do this. Then you have to make sure at least two enemies go down to make the 2 CP worth it.

The most fun mission to do this in is Hard Skirmish 1. I think you can kill 5 people on turn 1 this way.

Nose Master

Not at all. This is a staple strategy that works in every game. No mercy. :)

That being said, because of the way the map layouts are constructed (and because Edel can't move very far) there aren't many opportunities to do this. Then you have to make sure at least two enemies go down to make the 2 CP worth it.

The most fun mission to do this in is Hard Skirmish 1. I think you can kill 5 people on turn 1 this way.

I've gotten 3 on 8B so far with the first turn while I've been doing dishes. Lost 6 HP on Edel though :'(. Gonna pop the tank with 'im on this turn after I'm done so it's not wasted, really.

Baalzebup

Finished up chapter 2 and 3

Took me a couple game over screens to realize I could climb the tower lol

Also oh my god there are so many characters to choose from. Didn't have so many problems in beating chapter 3 but dang...shock troopers :/

Just be sure to remember to always deploy your squad leaders, aka Alicia, Largo and Rosie. They give you one extra CP per person per turn just by being present. Using them is optional, but not fielding them is just plain silly.

-Horizon-

Just be sure to remember to always deploy your squad leaders, aka Alicia, Largo and Rosie. They give you one extra CP per person per turn just by being present. Using them is optional, but not fielding them is just plain silly.

Oh so that's what they do. I thought those three were mandatory because chapter 3 (I think that was the one lol) kind of pushes them on you. Ok, I'll keep that in mind, don't want to throw away free moves.

Also, is there any where where you can see how accurate your attacks/weapon will be? In battle its like 2 shots kill 7 shots total I think and its effectiveness but it'd be nice if there was some kind of indicator of "that enemy is a bit too far, you're gonna miss".

Top Bottom