• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Up to chapter 8. I'm really liking the sort of strategy this offers so far and the maps are varied enough to keep it really interesting. Small gripe about the game though, that tank. Finding it frustrating to move control wise and find it clipping on the smallest of edges. I hope there is some more missions which leave it out.

The Tank can be superfluous once you've leveled up the rest of your crew.

couple questions

1. is this game open world?
2. is Selvaria Bles in this game? as i understand it she's been in all of them as a villain

1. Noone knows really. All we know is there's missions and briefing scenes like VC1's. If it is open-world in any way it'll probably be like Dragon's Dogma where the player is being constantly nudged back to a main base

2. Yes, indeed, much like Char Aznable is the main villian of the entire Gundam series. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1. Noone knows really. All we know is there's missions and briefing scenes like VC1's. If it is open-world in any way it'll probably be like Dragon's Dogma where the player is being constantly nudged back to a main base

2. Yes, indeed, much like Char Aznable is the main villian of the entire Gundam series. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

all the more reason she'd be a valid candidate in a psasbr reboot

word & i haven't played valkyria 1 yet so i'll just see how it all goes.

Skulldead

I want to know if they balance the game out for this release ? Or still as unbalanced as the ps3 version with just better visual ?

Good to hear. My gripe with it was just amplified by chapter 7. Failed it twice because the tank got one shotted and moving it around the map was a chore.

Yeah, I mean there are def missions where you will use it but the majority of the mission can be completed by utilizing your scouts once you've leveled them up.

For Example (Chapter 5) can be completed without moving the tank once if you don't want to.

all the more reason she'd be a valid candidate in a psasbr reboot

word & i haven't played valkyria 1 yet so i'll just see how it all goes.

axJmn.gif

...Char Aznable is only in Universal Century Gundam, and only some of it. But his character traits and design have been reused in pretty much every piece of the series as the IP's Cid Highwind/Biggs+Wedge, per-se.

...She has literally only been in two games. Any character resembling her outside of VC1 and 3 is an expy character, and even then she's barely more than a cameo in VC3, with the NotSelvaria of VC3 being infinitely more important. Azure Revolution's BigTits McGee is another NotSelvaria. VC2 has Juliana, VC3 has Juliana (Again. Unfortunately.) and Riela. AR has Brynhildr.

axJmn.gif

...Char Aznable is only in Universal Century Gundam, and only some of it. But his character traits and design have been reused in pretty much every piece of the series as the IP's Cid Highwind/Biggs+Wedge, per-se.

...She has literally only been in two games. Any character resembling her outside of VC1 and 3 is an expy character, and even then she's barely more than a cameo in VC3, with the NotSelvaria of VC3 being infinitely more important. Azure Revolution's BigTits McGee is another NotSelvaria. VC2 has Juliana, VC3 has Juliana (Again. Unfortunately.) and Riela. AR has Brynhildr.
damn, i thought she was in all the games?

http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Selvaria_Bles

damn, i thought she was in all the games?

http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Selvaria_Bles

"The character from Valkyria Chronicles 2."

>"Selvaria Bles makes a non-canon appearence in Valkyria Chronicles 2 as a Class G Scout and can be unlocked by entering the password 53K8FKGP1GHQ4SBN."

"The character from Valkyria Chronicles Duel."

>"Valkyria Chronicles Duel (戦場のヴァルキュリアDUEL Senjō no Varukyuria DUEL?) was a browser-based and mobile-based card game.

The game officially ended its service on March 12, 2015."

That wiki's notation refers to Characters in the Playable Unit sense, not the canon sense. Encyclopedia Europa is largely a gameplay-information oriented wiki.

"The character from Valkyria Chronicles 2."

>"Selvaria Bles makes a non-canon appearence in Valkyria Chronicles 2 as a Class G Scout and can be unlocked by entering the password 53K8FKGP1GHQ4SBN."

"The character from Valkyria Chronicles Duel."

>"Valkyria Chronicles Duel (戦場のヴァルキュリアDUEL Senjō no Varukyuria DUEL?) was a browser-based and mobile-based card game.

The game officially ended its service on March 12, 2015."

That wiki's notation refers to Characters in the Playable Unit sense, not the canon sense. Encyclopedia Europa is largely a gameplay-information oriented wiki.
okay man well we're kinda veering off topic here. if you agree with me that a hypothetical psasbr reboot deserves to have a valkyria character in it who do you think it should be if not her?

Cornbread78

Finally took a break from UC4 and booted this one up and my first immediate question would be how to avoid enemy fire when tmyou are setting up a shot? They are always getting several shots off before I can aim properly.

Nyoro SF

Finally took a break from UC4 and booted this one up and my first immediate question would be how to avoid enemy fire when tmyou are setting up a shot? They are always getting several shots off before I can aim properly.

Aiming = enemies stop shooting
Pause to end turn = enemies stop shooting

You cannot fully avoid enemy interception fire unless you are very good at understanding how weapon ranges work

Cornbread78

Aiming = enemies stop shooting
Pause to end turn = enemies stop shooting

You cannot fully avoid enemy interception fire unless you are very good at understanding how weapon ranges work

Ok, do not much you can do then, I just noticed Alicia getting hit early and often.

Up to chapter 10 or 11 Some comments:

- I decided to do the infamous battle against a big ass enemy by following a video walk through of beating it in 20 minutes. Don't regret it one bit, I remember wanting to throw my controller away in that chapter.

- the chapter right after also was one I had to retry a couple of tries, and this time around it wasn't any different.

- the chapter where you have to
rescud the princess but not destroy the tank
I kept redoing a save spot fruitlessly trying to beat it with my tank when I said fuck it, did the anti tank damage boost to one of my guys and he wrecked the shit out of the tank with just a rifle.

So far the game is just as good as I remember, but when there are bad chapters mother of God they are really fucking bad like quit the fucking game bad. Haven't had to do a skirmish yet, I've been doing pretty well with just base story experience and squad levels basically kept the same throughout.

Question for those that got it: is the vacation of
squad 7 book
worth getting? It's like 50k fucking gold, and I'm at the point I'm still only getting like maybe 30k after winning a mission.

mamoui

squad 7 book
worth getting? It's like 50k fucking gold, and I'm at the point I'm still only getting like maybe 30k after winning a mission.

If you are low on Dct, it's not really worth it no. There is no battle in it. You can buy it later. What's in the episode:
Vacation at the beach! You have to pay to see your squadmate in bathing suit!

Wagram

I forgot how ridiculously good flamethrowers are. I'm actually surprised how well i'm doing compared to all those years ago. I remember struggling with almost all the big fights, but now i'm breezing through them all in one try.

Is there an official sexual to this game or something? Kind of odd on why they would do a remaster of a game that came out in 2008.

Also, can't decide between this And RED remaster. Valkyrie does have the significantly higher metacritic...

Chaser324

Banned
squad 7 book

Not sure if someone has mentioned it in this thread, but an easy way to get a lot of money early on and a great scout rifle is by doing the scout trial skirmish with Rosie (assuming those DLC missions are in the remaster). Technically you're supposed to do it with a late game elite tier scout, but if you're efficient and careful you can do it with Rosie since she has the benefit of an extra CP to partially make up for her not having the movement range of a scout.

Baalzebup

UQuestion for those that got it: is the vacation of
squad 7 book
It is quite literally the apparently mandatory swimsuit / beach episode from every anime ever. The only thing missing is the appearance of the completely out of place and random squid for the tentacle scenes.
Not sure if someone has mentioned it in this thread, but an easy way to get a lot of money early on and a great scout rifle is by doing the scout trial skirmish with Rosie (assuming those DLC missions are in the remaster). Technically you're supposed to do it with a late game elite tier scout, but if you're efficient and careful you can do it with Rosie since she has the benefit of an extra CP to partially make up for her not having the movement range of a scout.

The problem with all the DLC weapons is that they are quite literally OP. The Kar 8 (g) is completely ridiculous. Sure, if one wants to play eez mode, grinding that mission can easily get all your dudes to lv 20 in a couple of hours (completely doable right away when you unlock skirmishes if you know what you're doing) and give every rifle-user a weapon that can destroy light tanks in a single action and kill low level mooks with one shot to the head. You'll also have more DC than you could possibly spend in the game. But I would never recommend that route to anyone unless they were specifically asking for ways to utterly breezy through the game.

Woofy also mentioned that he hadn't done any skirmishes as of yet, and was doing fine, so using the DLC stuff as a crutch would be weird.

Is there an official sexual to this game or something?

Wat?

It is quite literally the apparently mandatory swimsuit / beach episode from every anime ever. The only thing missing is the appearance of the completely out of place and random squid for the tentacle scenes.

The problem with all the DLC weapons is that they are quite literally OP. The Kar 8 (g) is completely ridiculous. Sure, if one wants to play eez mode, grinding that mission can easily get all your dudes to lv 20 in a couple of hours (completely doable right away when you unlock skirmishes if you know what you're doing) and give every rifle-user a weapon that can destroy light tanks in a single action and kill low level mooks with one shot to the head. You'll also have more DC than you could possibly spend in the game. But I would never recommend that route to anyone unless they were specifically asking for ways to utterly breezy through the game.

Woofy also mentioned that he hadn't done any skirmishes as of yet, and was doing fine, so using the DLC stuff as a crutch would be weird.

Wat?

Oops. Official sequal. Auto correct.

Alucrid

Banned
Oops. Official sequal. Auto correct.

there's valkyria chronicles 2 and 3 on the psp. but they probably did it because it sold well on the pc, the original game never got updated for trophies, it's has a nice fan following and there's valkyria azure revolution coming out. someone decided to remaster prototype and prototype 2, so anything is possible

I'm actually struggling a little to find my feet in this game. I played a PS3 demo years ago and felt it was an awkward one to get to grips with. So now, here I am in 2016 and time is repeating itself. =/

sora87

The
second battle
in chapter 8 is just a war of attrition, so annoying how many enemies are on you and the constant reinforcements means it so hard to make any sort of progress and occupy a base. Ugh

Oh Jesus. I'm gonna have to 50k gold for swimsuit episode? Fuck that. As in until I have no other fucking use for the money I ain't spending that shit.

Edit:as to getting ez mode weapons it isn't necessary. I'm doing fine with the game so far. The really tough matches like the chapter 7/8 battle I just followed a walk-through as I didn't feel like doing it again properly like when I rented the game back all those years ago since it took me way too many tries.

I'm fine with trial and error to find an optimal way to beat a chapter. And using the "damage upgrade" power on one of my members is already crazy useful when I need to destroy a tank. Use it on a lancer or my tank and it means destroying them on one hit regardless of position.

Nyoro SF

"Damage Boost" increases vsArmor by only 50, so if your Lancer was able to one shot a tank, it was likely able to do it without the buff in question. To put it in perspective, Lancers have anywhere between 850 (early chapters) and 1600 (late chapters) vsArmor so 50 vsArmor is far too small of a change for them to suddenly make them devastating.

Make sure you're studying your units and maps carefully at all times, including checking their statistics.

Dad

How does the game calculate rank? I feel like I'm pushing through a mission at a pretty good pace and then it just showers me with C ranks

Nyoro SF

How does the game calculate rank? I feel like I'm pushing through a mission at a pretty good pace and then it just showers me with C ranks

Number of turns only.

Don't worry about ranks though, the game is pretty lenient with leveling and experience. Just do your thing and if you feel like you're not getting the damage you want then play a Skirmish to shore up some cash.

Shahed

The only things useful about the Beach episode is the Largo and Varrot backstory. The rest of it was typical and generic anime stuff.

Whew! Battle 7 took only one reload (random shot from the big guy hit Edelweiss' radiator). It was a bit messy and I had to recover some people, but it went fairly well.

Rosie was a beast (even at level 5). I put her
in the trench leading up to the plateau, right at the top. When the reinforcements arrived she took down the entire group with intercept fire and was doing fine until Selvaria decided to aim better.

The game is awesome. There's just a few issues: why not have the other soldiers standing around in cutscenes at least? With something like Suikoden, you sometimes have the "random" characters weighing in on a storyline. At least in text dialogues it would be great.

Despite that, it's fascinating how much character development there is with just a few paragraphs.

"Damage Boost" increases vsArmor by only 50, so if your Lancer was able to one shot a tank, it was likely able to do it without the buff in question. To put it in perspective, Lancers have anywhere between 850 (early chapters) and 1600 (late chapters) vsArmor so 50 vsArmor is far too small of a change for them to suddenly make them devastating.

Make sure you're studying your units and maps carefully at all times, including checking their statistics.

did I say 1-shot? I meant like in one turn. Normally my scout wouldn't do shit damage to a tank's weak spot, but with the damage boost in that level he was able to take it out in 3 or so actions.

edit: forgot to say, finished two more chapters. I'm getting C/D ranks from taking too long but I'm not in any rush to get my people killed.

I think my biggest complaint of the game is just how little running/stamina snipers have. Like I understand they shouldn't have that much so they aren't overpowered, but they already have 3 shots max, at the very least let me take them to vantage points in 1-2 turns, I regularly have to sue action points to take them somewhere or make them move out of harm's way after taking a shot.

Whew! Battle 7 took only one reload (random shot from the big guy hit Edelweiss' radiator). It was a bit messy and I had to recover some people, but it went fairly well.

Rosie was a beast (even at level 5). I put her
in the trench leading up to the plateau, right at the top. When the reinforcements arrived she took down the entire group with intercept fire and was doing fine until Selvaria decided to aim better.

The game is awesome. There's just a few issues: why not have the other soldiers standing around in cutscenes at least? With something like Suikoden, you sometimes have the "random" characters weighing in on a storyline. At least in text dialogues it would be great.

Despite that, it's fascinating how much character development there is with just a few paragraphs.

I've always felt this game needed Visual Novel elements or even a Fire Emblem like relationship system.

at what level do troops become elite?

Because I'm in chapter 11 and got through it, but fuck me, everything was god damn dangerous. Every enemy is an elite something.

Fire Emblem's system is hot trash, so no thanks.

This is what separates VC fans and FE fans. We put our foot down on things.

VC2 and FEA did a lot of the same things. We gave VC2 a firm "No." And let the IP tank, while the Faia Emburemu fandom ate that garbage up gleefully and asked for seconds. We hold the localizations of VC games to standards, they handwave FE's recent localization failings with "It's not censorship, it's ~localization~!"

#MakeSRPGsGreatAgain #ValkyriaCrossXCOM

-Horizon-

*walks in wanting to talk about my first time with this game since I was enjoying it*

*sees fire emblem bashing*

*walks back out*

Reached chapter 13. Got my scouts to level 12. Might leave them there for a bit until I catch up everyone else (at the very least get the rest to elite level). At level 9-10 for the rest of them. I can probably get my troopers to level 11 by this next chapter.

I'm sad that the game seems to reward speed of completion more than a combination of percentage enemies beaten + completion. This has made me completely disregard strategies of using everyone and cool shit and opt for taking 2-3 members of my squad with orders to do the objectives instead. I need to level up my squad and if being thorough isn't going to be rewarded and will actually hinder me as it takes more turns to complete, then fuck it I'll play the game by your rules.

I think I'm nearing the end if I recall the images correctly. Or at least
in the last 4th
. Game was supposed to last me until Witcher 3 B&W came out lmao, might only last me until this week.

Alucrid

Banned
I've always felt this game needed Visual Novel elements or even a Fire Emblem like relationship system.

and we can have militia children with 1000 year old valkyrurs

This is what separates VC fans and FE fans. We put our foot down on things.

VC2 and FEA did a lot of the same things. We gave VC2 a firm "No." And let the IP tank, while the Faia Emburemu fandom ate that garbage up gleefully and asked for seconds. We hold the localizations of VC games to standards, they handwave FE's recent localization failings with "It's not censorship, it's ~localization~!"

#MakeSRPGsGreatAgain #ValkyriaCrossXCOM

i suppose. but guess which group will get another game?

-Horizon-

aw man :(

I have nothing against fire emblem and I'd like to hear your take on VC

I've only managed to get past chapter 1 so far but I'm really liking it so far.

Voice acting seems fine (I put it on english dub).

I really like the sketch like art style.

The gameplay is really different and not in a bad way at all. I'm used to SRPGs where your characters have limited movement panels and the enemy only hits you once you finish up your turn or if you attack them and don't finish them. Here, you have that action bar which is cool (I don't know because I didn't check but is it possible to reset it or is it a once you start its a one time deal?). The enemy can also shoot you as you approach them (which makes sense lol) and it changes how I approach enemies. I also like how you can use your command points to have the same unit continue.

This game is a good change of pace for me and makes me feel pretty engaged.

Baalzebup

(I don't know because I didn't check but is it possible to reset it or is it a once you start its a one time deal?)

Nope, once you activate a unit, it's go time and there are no take backs (well, beside loading a save as you can save/load any time you're not actively using a unit). Goes with the line of sight system, as there are often enemies hidden by the terrain. Rewind features would trivialize them pretty badly.

-Horizon-

Nope, once you activate a unit, it's go time and there are no take backs (well, beside loading a save as you can save/load any time you're not actively using a unit). Goes with the line of sight system, as there are often enemies hidden by the terrain. Rewind features would trivialize them pretty badly.
Makes sense. Certainly puts more weight in each decision.

i suppose. but guess which group will get another game?

I don't know about you, but I'd say Azure Revolution has a lot more in common with Chronicles than Tokyo Mirage Sessions (The latest FE game to be released in Japan) has in common with Genealogy of the Holy War and Mystery of the Emblem (Kaga Emblem Best Fire Emblem).

I mean, Azure Revolution is an action-game in a series that has always had action elements, with a plot and atmosphere that as far as we know is a thematic successor to VC3, whereas TMS is a dungeon-crawler in a modern setting with non-sequitur FE fanservice that's about idol-culture and other decadence.

PS: Just as a note to anyone who's going to seriously make a The Bureau comparison concerning Azure Revolution... Valkyria Chronicles was never dead. Irrational-COM was announced 15 years after the last traditional XCOM (Apocalypse is an RTS. DealWithIt.gif) and 12 years after the last good XCOM. Azure Revolution was announced barely four years after VC3's release, and a year after a re-release of the first game. That's not dead. That's called not being milked dry. The time between VC3's release and Azure Revolution's release will be less time than between the releases of GTA4 and GTA5, barring the game potentially being delayed. Azure Revolution is a spinoff being released for an IP that is still alive and was never dead.

Yes, we are all sore that Valkyria Chronicles 3 was not localized, but that does not mean that Valkyria Chronicles 2 was the IP's gravestone and that Azure Revolution is the IP being revived. This was a suspension of localizations for a few years, like how Tales of Vesperia was the last Tales game to be localized for several years until Namco eventually decided to start localizing them again after initially passing on localizing Hearts (JP release 2009, ENG 2014), Graces (JP 2009, ENG 2012), Xillia (JP 2011, ENG 2013), and Xillia 2 (JP 2012, ENG 2014) until years after their initial release.

(tl;dr: VC2 is not VC's Other M. It's VC's Vesperia (In terms of being the last game of its series to be localized for years. Yes, I am well aware Vesperia is a great game, and know too well that VC2 is trash). Likewise, Azure Revolution is not VC's Federation Farce, it's VC's... IDK, Typing of the Dead? Or VC's Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (A great spinoff released during Might and Magic's dormancy). Take your pick)

I've only managed to get past chapter 1 so far but I'm really liking it so far.

Voice acting seems fine (I put it on english dub).

I really like the sketch like art style.

The gameplay is really different and not in a bad way at all. I'm used to SRPGs where your characters have limited movement panels and the enemy only hits you once you finish up your turn or if you attack them and don't finish them. Here, you have that action bar which is cool (I don't know because I didn't check but is it possible to reset it or is it a once you start its a one time deal?). The enemy can also shoot you as you approach them (which makes sense lol) and it changes how I approach enemies. I also like how you can use your command points to have the same unit continue.

This game is a good change of pace for me and makes me feel pretty engaged.

I remember having mostly these same thoughts when I first tried the game on PS3. There's a lot to get used to, but once you do, it's really satisfying to pull off insane strategies and survive by the skin of your teeth. If you're already engaged after just one chapter I think the rest of the game will be right up your alley.

Top Bottom