• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the absolute worst game of 2016 you played?

Orpheum

it's a tie between Mafia III, which was an absolute borefest after 3 hours and buggy as hell on top of that, and Let it Die i played just about 30 minutes and hated it, i swear i won't be able to get into it at all, the combat feels sluggish and this ultimately ruined it for me

I don't think I played anything legitimately terrible this year, and I played a lot of games.

Of the ones that stand out, I'd say Infinite Warfare is probably the weakest. I'll admit I haven't played SP at all, but the MP really feels like garbage next to Titanfall 2, IMO.

CrayToes

Infinite Warfare's multiplayer may be the worst thing I spent time with all year. Zero redeemable features. As for a whole game, yeah it's No Man's Sky.

Radius

Virginia

Never had I imagined that one could screw up a simple walking simulator so much. Repeatedly got nauseous due to the permanent stuttering. Nonexistent gameplay mechanics other than "stutter/walk to where your cursor turns into a circle symbol and press X". Outright boring art design. Incohesive plot leaving you guessing what's happening from the very start. The only redeeming quality of this "game" is its awesome soundtrack.

I got this partly due to reading very good things about it here on GAF and alas didn't bother with the demo. Once I started playing I wondered whether the PS4 version was simply not finished or this was a GAF-prank tricking people into buying abysmal games. But then I saw the reviews stating this was actually a good game. For a while I questioned my sanity until I saw some local German reviews where Virginia got slapped with some more appropriate 2/10 and 3/10 scores.
My lesson: Don't trust GAF on game recommendations ;)

Looking over my trophy list at everything I've played this year:

For games I played, probably No Man's Sky. I enjoyed the first hour or so of finding resources, fixing my ship and flying off into space, but once I'd done a few more planets I realised I had experienced all of the game's depth already and the gameplay cycle was extremely narrow and repetitive. I think if they keep working on it and improving the tech it might be a good game in 12 months, but they've got a long way to go.

For games I completed, the worst game I played was probably Transformers Devastation. I just didn't feel it at all; the level design was really awful, many enemies were annoying damage sponges and I found the driving/flying sections really annoying.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Probably FFXV but I generally put in the research and don't do many leap of faiths so there is that. Also I simply don't have the money to spend on something bad.

cripterion

Fallout 4 for me. And no amount of modding to the game (which is always great) could salvage this shit.
I forgot about Mafia 3 and Battleborn, could only stomach a few hours before uninstalling.

Uncharted 4's pacing is so fucking bad it literally undoes everything good about the game, which is almost everything about the game. A 6-8 hour game should NOT feel like a 25-30 hour game.

It's not a 6-8 hour game, though. It felt longer because it's a longer Uncharted than 1 - 3.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Resident evil 4 remastered. I played it on Wii when it first came out and I absolutely loved it. Playing it again I just couldn't get over the tank controls even though I tried . This was my most disappointing gaming moment for me in 2016 as I was really looking forward to replaying it.

Yeah, I'll second this. I never actually got around to playing it back in the day and a 60FPS port seemed like the most sensible option.

Played for a hour and was actually gob-smacked at how bad it felt. Times change I guess - I had a blast with REmake and RE Zero, but this one felt rough as all hell.

I get what they were going for with the limited FOV - claustrophobia, etc. - but honestly it made the shooting an unholy nightmare (at least for me) and it wasn't long before the nausea set in.

[NaK]

Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

Honestly one of my biggest dissapointments in years. I liked the reboot, so I was fairly supprised by how bad the sequel was.
Uninteresting story, paper thin characters, boring enviroments, too many firefights and absolutely AWFUL voice acting (Im looking at you Camilla!)

It's like playing a really, really bad copy of Uncharted, but without any of the charm and loving care for details ND has.

Cmagus

Mighty No.9 gets my vote. Backed it and was incredibly excited for it and the gameplay ideas are alright but they just don't work with the poor level design.

It would have been No Man's Sky but the latest patch made the game much better so it redeemed itself in my books a little.

klier

[NaK];226696649 said:
It's like playing a really, really bad copy of Uncharted, but without any of the charm and loving care for details ND has.

Both suck, but at least TR has some gameplay to boot. Unfortunately the gameplay is made for complete idiots. But at least it's there, unlike Uncharted.

Johndoey

Banned
I guess if the games released in 2016 I've played FFXV is probably my least favorite. Forgot about Firewatch, that game didn't do a thing for me and with the micro stutters on ps4 at launch it was just a bad experience for me.

zip stick

Super Dungeon Bros and Zheroes for me but they were both free with xbox gold so can't complain. Game I probably regret spending cash on is star wars battlefront (season pass, as I have each acess). Is the game noob friendly or do I have to grind for 40 levels before i find it easier and enjoyable?

Except for No mans sky (which had a BS marketing campaign) Im surprised so many people Think they played an awful game. I do alot of research prior to avoid this. Still come across a few mediocre games for my taste anyway. Only bought 5 games this year but no dissapointment here so far..strangely enough I Will soon pick up TW3 Goty but I have a feeling I Will get bored. Still have to give it a shot

bosseye

[NaK];226696649 said:

Honestly one of my biggest dissapointments in years. I liked the reboot, so I was fairly supprised by how bad the sequel was.
Uninteresting story, paper thin characters, boring enviroments, too many firefights and absolutely AWFUL voice acting (Im looking at you Camilla!)

Yes. Completely agree. I thought they might improve on the 2013 reboot (which I enjoyed) but it's worse in almost every respect.

Bioshocker

I usually wait for reviews nowadays and avoid games that I expect won't suit me. Sometimes I've made exceptions - The Order last year was one. This year I guess it's Quantum Break. As a huge fan of Alan Wake I was very disappointed. It's not a bad game, but I expected much more from Remedy. QB lacks the atmosphere, the charming characters and the humour from Alan Wake. It felt dull overall.

I've been lucky this year, I haven't played any truly awful games but the one game I enjoyed the least was Quantum Break.

The awful pacing of the early chapters, the painfully boring, bland TV show episodes and the characters.
The dullest, least likable characters I've spent time with in what feels like years.

It's a shame because I loved Alan Wake but now I w9rry for Remedy, if this is all they came up with in all those years then I'm not sure I care about whatever they do next. Harsh maybe, but damn this game was drab, forgettable and boring.

It was kinda pretty though.

Bioshocker

[NaK];226696649 said:

It's funny how different people feel about this game. I loved it (bought it for Xbox One last year and got the collector's edition for PS4 this year). I think it was GOTY for Xbox One in 2015. I agree to some extent about the story and the characters (but honestly, how good was the 2013 reboot in that regard?!). Gameplay wise, though, Rise is a great game. Better than Uncharted 4.

Sapientas

No Man's Sky probably. It's really bad, but the PR management post launch and the amount of lies and deceit surrounding the game really soured it completely for me. Game really is a role model of how to disappoint. Never buying anything from Hello Games again.
Reading this thread made me feel sorry for people who still play video games.

Thread is making me question if I still have fun playing videogames...
I think I'll catch up with my books backlog a bit.

Probably Rise of the Tomb Raider, if I'm honest. I had hugely high hopes, so that made it my experience worse, though. I really enjoyed 2013 and had heard that this followup was way better. I was psyched. There were good things about it. The graphics could be amazing at times. Some of the scenario design and environmental puzzle solving was strong. The bad things were numerous though. Insanely painfully boring story. Seriously a hideously cliche video game story. Irritating narrative devices (like recordings and artifacts that felt forced)... I played a lot of great games this year, and this is my least favourite. Plus, I can't overstate how much I despised the incredibly terrible story. It was agony. I yelled at my tv several times.

[NaK];226696649 said:
Rise of the Tomb Raider... Honestly one of my biggest dissapointments in years. I liked the reboot, so I was fairly surprised by how bad the sequel was. Uninteresting story, paper thin characters, boring enviroments, too many firefights and absolutely AWFUL voice acting (Im looking at you Camilla!)...

Yes. Completely agree. I thought they might improve on the 2013 reboot (which I enjoyed) but it's worse in almost every respect.

I really wanted to support CD and the Tomb Raider franchise, despite my mixed feelings toward TR2013, so I actually purchased Steam's 'Digital Deluxe' version of ROTTR on Day 1, back in January.

But like others in this thread, I really found some of the characterization in ROTTR to be downright unbearable.

Some related posts, in other threads: one / two / three / four

JerkShep

It took a while to take roots but the disappointment with Zero Time Dilemma still hurts. And I don't even think it's as terrible as many think it is, some of the ideas it tried to convey I like A LOT, but the execution is completely botched.

Worst in absolute terms I don't know, I usually play I games I think I might enjoy and at most I end up disappointed.

Top Bottom