• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Runaways ordered to series, leaked trailer at Hulu Upfront

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Leaked trailer from Hulu Upfront. (Warning: Cam footage)

Marvel's Runaways has been officially ordered to series. For those that haven't been following this project, Runaways is helmed by Gossip Girl creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz.
Marvel’s Runaways, based on the comics created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand one another but who must unite against a common foe: their parents. It stars Rhenzy Feliz as Alex Wilder, a loud-and-proud nerd who spends much of his free time playing video games; Lyrica Okano as Nico Minoru, a tough, angst-ridden budding Wiccan; Virginia Gardner as Karolina Dean, who, underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity; Ariela Barer as Gert Yorkes, a purple-haired, riot grrrl; Gregg Sulkin as Chase Stein, a high school heartthrob many write off as a dumb jock but who exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering; and Allegra Acosta as the eternally peppy Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent of the group.
Via Deadline.

Sacrifice me to the Gibborim if old.

Neoxon

I guess I'll have to subscribe to Hulu in the near future (or just piggy-back off of my older sister).

Pau

Look, I love Chase but I don't remember him showing any flashes of brilliance.

Anyways, I'm probably too excited for this. If there was any justice in the world, Runaways would be one of the biggest hits for Marvel in the MCU or on TV.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Interested to see if they'll gloss over Karolina's sexuality. Shit looks good from what I've seen though. Also no Marvel Studios logo. Just Marvel. Not part of the MCU which is disappointing as hell.

Interested to see if they'll gloss over Karolina's sexuality. Shit looks good from what I've seen though. Also no Marvel Studios logo. Just Marvel. Not part of the MCU which is disappointing as hell.

Marvel TV is not Marvel Studios. Marvel TV is also in the MCU and none of their shows have Marvel Studios in their logo.

Is Molly Hernandez supposed to be a different name for Molly Hayes AkA the 12 year old girl that has class 100 strength or possibly greater? If so, I wonder if they have the budget to afford showing off her full power.

SRG01

Is Molly Hernandez supposed to be a different name for Molly Hayes AkA the 12 year old girl that has class 100 strength or possibly greater? If so, I wonder if they have the budget to afford showing off her full power.

Isn't Molly a mutant? Perhaps they had to change the character...

IIRC it isn't touched on until much later in the comics, right?

The series will probably cover Volume 1, MAJOR ACTUAL SPOILERS
ending on Alex's face-heel turn and his death.
I don't believe Karolina's sexuality was really a thing until later, but I could just be remembering wrong.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Also no Marvel Studios logo. Just Marvel. Not part of the MCU which is disappointing as hell.

giphy.gif

Have you not watched any of the Marvel Netflix shows?

Not

Banned
Lyrica is a cool name (the actor playing Nico)

I loved this comic in high school, especially when Whedon was writing it. Will check out, but it'll probably be boring like all the other procedural superhero shows on TV

Wait was Gert always a "riot grrrl?" Lol whoever wrote that was born in 1970.

Pilgrimzero

I would bet on adding some diversity.

And they better have Princess Powerful kicking butt!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looking good, a bit darker/more serious in tone than I expected, but dope regardless.

Has a really good chance of being something special since the movie script was worked on for seemingly forever and definitely longer than any other MCU property.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Gotta say, I'm surprised by the budget this and Cloak & Dagger seem to be getting. Hulu and Freeform have both pooped out some incredibly cheap genre shows before, so even these being Marvel productions had me skeptical. But they actually seem to be putting some effort into this.

Pau

IIRC it isn't touched on until much later in the comics, right?

The series will probably cover Volume 1, MAJOR ACTUAL SPOILERS
ending on Alex's face-heel turn and his death.
I don't believe Karolina's sexuality was really a thing until later, but I could just be remembering wrong.
There are hints but she doesn't come out until the second volume.

Volimar

Marvel’s Runaways, based on the comics created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, is the story of six diverse teenagers who can barely stand one another but who must unite against a common foe: their parents. It stars Rhenzy Feliz as Alex Wilder, a loud-and-proud nerd who spends much of his free time playing video games; Lyrica Okano as Nico Minoru, a tough, angst-ridden budding Wiccan; Virginia Gardner as Karolina Dean, who, underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity; Ariela Barer as Gert Yorkes, a purple-haired, riot grrrl; Gregg Sulkin as Chase Stein, a high school heartthrob many write off as a dumb jock but who exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering; and Allegra Acosta as the eternally peppy Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent of the group.

Paging Indignate!

ZeoVGM

Banned
This looks very solid. It's crazy seeing Runaways finally happen after all this time. And given the overall quality of Marvel TV, I'm there day one.

I sent in an audition tape back when they were trying to cast the movie about 9 years ago. Obviously, the movie was canceled due to the direction of the MCU.

(Or my audition tape was so bad that they decided there was no way the project could work and canceled it immediately.)

Not

Banned
I think Molly should be younger

It would be really cool to have a little kid running around with the teens like in the comic. Plus the nap after using her powers makes more sense.

Oh well

Volimar

Love them or hate them you have to admit that there an insane amount of comics properties out now. It's a golden age of adaptations.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Love them or hate them you have to admit that there an insane amount of comics properties out now. It's a golden age of adaptations.

It's awesome.

I'll never understand people who complain about it. Yes, there's a lot. But the quality overall ranges from good to great no one is forced to watch them.

And it's also not preventing other great "golden age" television. Better Call Saul, American Crime Story, Fargo, Atlanta, Westworld, Game of Thrones, The Americans, Veep, Stranger Things, Mr. Robot, The Good Place, American Gods.

There are so many great shows on TV in different genres, it seems silly to complain about comic book shows also being everywhere. I promise, if every Marvel TV show was taken off the air, they would not be replaced with another Better Call Saul or The Americans.

I hope they change one thing

Keep alex alive

Seriously!
It would have been a interesting twist to have a super team, lead by a non-powered guy simply because he was a tactical genus. Runaways was magnitudes less interesting after he was killed off.

I hope they change one thing

Keep gertrude alive

Fixed to show what I want to change. Note: ANOTHER major spoiler for Runaways above.
I mean, maybe it makes for a better story that she dies, but it still hurt.

Yeah, this comic was my first exposure to Brian K. Vaughn's penchant for
killing off well-liked major characters.
Part of the reason I get apprehensive when reading Saga is that I'm always expecting
one of the parents to die or something worse to happen.

Anyway, I'm excited for this Hulu series, since the comic always felt perfect for a live-action show. My only qualm is that it seems like they aged up Molly. Part of the reason she was so fun was that she was a hyperactive little girl who could hit like a freight train and frequently wrecked established Marvel characters in fights.

Finaj

Oh, I didn't know the author of Saga wrote this series. Nice. At least I get to see something of his adapted because God knows that Saga will never get adapted.

Top Bottom