• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2012 Sales Results [Up4: Max Payne 3, Dragon's Dogma, Ghost Recon]

I dunno, considering the depressed market in general, I think both MP3 and GRFS did fine. I can't speak for profitability or anything like that, but it was written on the wall we are having big declines MoM in software sales. The two were real close too.

Didn't Advanced Warfighter 2 sell like 600k opening month?

Michael Pachter ‏@michaelpachter
Without divulging too much NPD goodness, I can tell you that Max Payne 3 sales were less than 50% of L.A. Noire's. 8 years in development!

wow i expected MP to do better considering it's a know ip.

Petrae

I dunno, considering the depressed market in general, I think both MP3 and GRFS did fine. I can't speak for profitability or anything like that, but it was written on the wall we are having big declines MoM in software sales. The two were real close too.

I actually underestimated GRFS, honestly. I didn't expect it to give Max Payne so close a run. Max Payne 3, on the other hand, sold a lot worse than projected. I figured close to or better than L.A. Noire numbers given Rockstar's string of successes. That string is, IMO, over now.

New Super Mario Bros U, Just Dance 4, Wii Fit U, and holiday launch means it won't bomb this holiday

It has those games for sure, but for WiiFit and especially Just Dance, those consumers interest in buying a new platform in order to play them is up in the air. After all, Just Dance 4 will also be available on the normal Wii, is their any incentive for those fans to upgrade?

Without divulging too much NPD goodness, I can tell you that Max Payne 3 sales were less than 50% of L.A. Noire's. 8 years in development!

A dead and tired ip...

I didn't understand why they wanted to revive Max Payne...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
What if people are just losing interest in console gaming? Would it be shocking to see the Wii U sales plummet after the holidays or should it be expected? Thats not a shot at Nintendo, thats realizing the end could be near. Next gen = iPad I guess.

Kusagari

MP was never a big IP though, and it's been dead for years. I really doubt this game will make money considering it's rumored to have cost a lot, and the marketing budget must have been insane.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What were the Japanese numbers for Vita's third full month? These can't be much higher in a country with three times the population.

Rimfya

Banned
Don't get too forlorn gaffers, at least the games industry's biggest event of the year has shown us the bright, exciting future of gaming!

What if people are just losing interest in console gaming? Would it be shocking to see the Wii U sales plummet after the holidays or should it be expected? Thats not a shot at Nintendo, thats realizing the end could be near. Next gen = iPad I guess.

These console are just tired and old. People want new consoles, and now.

The same thing happened last generation. The typical month sales last gen were around 100-200k.

It wasn't until this generation did consoles consistently sell 300k+ a month

Mooreberg

Does anyone else find it strange that so many big games are coming out in 2013 when new systems are supposed to be out? Is it bad planning that this year has been so dry or are they really going to wait until spring 2014 for new hardware? I have a hard time imagining any 720/PS4 launch title that will be as good as GTA V, BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, etc and it isn't like Call of Duty will stop showing up on available hardware any time soon.

This year is the curent cycle's answer to 2003, although it doesn't seem to be as much due to delays (besides BioShock) as planning. GTA V and The Last of Us were never even hinted at as being 2012 games.

UberTag

When your last installment came out 8 1/2 years earlier, you might as well be a new IP.
Only Duke Nukem Forever bucked that trend but that dropped off a cliff immediately following launch day when the review embargo was lifted.

I wonder what would result from a release of three (really) unsuccessful consoles.

New console makers?

Mergers?

An end to traditional consoles altogether?

Sony can't afford for their gaming side to continue to struggle. They might end up going completely bankrupt if that's the case. Microsoft doesn't have a ton to lose, so they might just give up entirely on their console side. Nintendo really has nowhere to go except to become third party, but I don't see that happening unless console gaming as a whole fails entirely. I don't see Apple or Valve being more likely to join in on the console market just because the others are failing. Indeed, I think the opposite would be true.

Beth Cyra

Does anyone else find it strange that so many big games are coming out in 2013 when new systems are supposed to be out? Is it bad planning that this year has been so dry or are they really going to wait until spring 2014 for new hardware? I have a hard time imagining any 720/PS4 launch title that will be as good as GTA V, BioShock Infinite, The Last of Us, etc and it isn't like Call of Duty will stop showing up on available hardware any time soon.

This year is the curent cycle's answer to 2003, although it doesn't seem to be as much due to delays (besides BioShock) as planning. GTA V and The Last of Us were never even hinted at as being 2012 games.

Not really.

If the brand is big enough the games will still continue to do well. Final Fantasy XII, Persona 4, God of War 2 and a few more where all games that shipped either around or after 360 and PS3.

Vita will be remembered as the most ironic name for a failed gaming device. Dreamcast is close though.

How about some Starhawk hints for the icing on the cake?

The Vita is selling worse than the Gamecube sold in 2005/2006.

Thats just abysmal. I don't see how a CoD or AC will suddenly make people buy this system. It's still relatively new and its still getting trounced by the 3DS 2:1 here (and 5-10:1 in Japan). Ouch!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Honestly, this Christmas would have been a smart time for Nintendo to release Animal Crossing. I wonder if that game is facing a troubled development.

As I said in the E3 thread--I'm positive they're moving this to a cross-connected 3DS/Wii U version. It is really the only excuse.

Celine

I'm more surprised that Vita is selling considerably more in US than JP. Crazy.
If we take the respective "third" month the difference isn't that big.

Sure this past may was horrid for Vita in Japan with a record low 27K.

Top Bottom