• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yep :/ I don't know who made the suggestion but 343 should put up a blog where all patchnotes are showed and maybe all playlist updates and everything.

They should give us some insight in the changes.

We just talked about it on the podcast too. I downloaded the latest patch for StarCraft 2 and the list of changes was all right there when it was updating. Seriously tons of tiny tweaks I would never notice but it's nice to know and have it there.

Yep :/ I don't know who made the suggestion but 343 should put up a blog where all patchnotes are showed and maybe all playlist updates and everything.

They should give us some insight in the changes.

343's lack of transparency at this point in time is laughable. I remember BSAngel posting something about it in a Bulletin and how'd they learn from it for their next title. Hey 343, how about start NOW. Now would be a pretty damn good time to be transparent with your fans. Holy shit its abysmal.

Hey 314 Industries. Can I design the Armor Abilities as well as Tactical and Support Packages for you guys? Elzar, OddOne, Barlow, Kittens and a few others can vouch for how good my ideas are.

FyreWulff

Just matched against an SR42 who had a bunch of shit I don't think he should have had. He already had the Pathfinder helmet, the Stand Off stance (possible, but it's such a tough one to get I doubt he has it already), and he had a Rhino emblem too. He definitely shouldn't have had Pathfinder shit until after SR50. I don't even know when/how you get that emblem. He was a rubbish player too lol.

One of my clanmates spotted a SR41 that was already set to Pioneer. He reported them for cheating.

edit: also last week my Spartan suddenly was in the Believe pose, but nobody else could see it in the lobby, I was still doing the standard pose to them. It fixed itself after a couple of games.

There are some dubious sites that can give you cosmetic stuff like that way before you should have it. Also be on the lookout for these two odd ones:

-Spartan Armor that's very bright white, so much that it's slightly see-through
-An odd shade of gold armor unavailable to normal players
-Generally ANY armor that requires commendation mastery below level 50, but this one could just be boosting or legitimate, but unlikely

Does anyone know if its possible to have a completely plain emblem? Ive been rocking no emblem for nearly 10 years now and it doesnt seem to be in Halo 4?

By this i mean the toggled seventh column emblem. Like just the background colour and nothing else?

So, first time popping in this thread and I must say that I am sort of shocked.

I've been playing since day one and I am absolutely enamored with H4's MP. The guns feel great, the maps are solid, and the action just feels...right.

What is it exactly people are clamoring about, specifically? I mean, we've seen quite a large variety and changes in Halo's MP, even when it was just being made by one studio. Leaping from Halo 2 MP to 3 was a huge change. Hell, Reach to 3 was a bit of a culture shock as well.

Personally, I think that 4 has borrowed the right elements from Reach and 3 to create an outstanding MP experience. But, just my opinion.

UI
~No order on the roster: people are not grouped by playlist, wargames/campaign/s ops or alphabetized.
~Doesn't display the playlist others are in.
~Doesn't display time left in game.
~When you join into a game they just throw the strangers into your roster list

MM
Gametypes
~Recigicide: scoring currently screws over the person who would normally win an FFA due to king kills being weighed so much. Basically you can pull out a win riding second if you just kill the king enough times rather than protect yourself.
~CTF/Ball: auto pickups take away player choice and ability to defend oneself if you lack teamwork or team mates.
~CTF: flag reset is too long.

Join in Progress
~Splits parties up.
~Uneven teams for the whole game despite the fact it's supposed to counter this.
~No upper limit on how badly a team is losing, you'll be thrown in it anyway.
~Also shouldn't be in FFAs unless it's some long one you can join to warm up or something. I was watching TD play regicides the other night and he kept joining games that were basically done.

Loadouts/Ordinances
~No disadvantage to camo usage really.
~Jetpack still overrides map flow.
~PV basically renders positioning, hiding, crouching, sneaking pointless.
~Ordinances: great for turtling or whoring out power weps on the outskirts of a map or using with camo in bases.

Other stuff
~Instant respawn: allows for people to just spawn right by the person who killed them and take vengeance. Couple this with PV/sprint and it happens even more often.
~Shield regen is slow despite the aforementioned instant respawning.
~Death waypoints are gone because god forbid you know where a team mate fell.
~Instead of descoping there is now flinching. So the idea was to make it an absolute chore to return fire if they happened to see you first?

Random Glitchy Shit
~Whenever I switch tags out while H4 is running I've been unable to play, told I'm not in a halo party, and been invisible in people's rosters.
~I've spawned without a weapon before.
~There are wall hacks on a couple maps.

And I'm still forgetting a host of other problems.

IHaveIce

Banned
There are some dubious sites that can give you cosmetic stuff like that way before you should have it. Also be on the lookout for these two odd ones:

-Spartan Armor that's very bright white, so much that it's slightly see-through
-An odd shade of gold armor unavailable to normal players
-Generally ANY armor that requires commendation mastery below level 50, but this one could just be boosting or legitimate, but unlikely

How is this even possible, hacks for online? .. I mean I don't mind aslong as it is some cosmetic stuff.

Also I'm jealous lol, I really want the damn Venator armor or Deadeye helmet, but I will never get the damn Assassin comendation to master

Petrichor

None of the armor abilities make the game more fun to play save the thruster pack , and even then it's only useful in spartan ops and campaign. (maybe hologram as well)

Armor abilities either need to be removed completely or need a serious shake-up in Halo 5.

None of the armor abilities make the game more fun to play save the thruster pack, and even then it's only useful in spartan ops and campaign.

Armor abilities either need to be removed completely or need a serious shake-up in Halo 5.

Hologram, dude.

And to devo: I think in certain setups you're organized in party depending on rank, but I could be wrong.

Halo 4 is where I've been seeing the series go for some time now honestly. A lot of perks/power/tools without enough drawbacks or other means of balance. Instead of a fight for the power weapons, you just drop them out of the sky. Instead of a fight for equipment, OS or camo, you can either equip these or they also drop from the sky. To me Halo is at its best when you're fighting for various advantages, not just having them rain down because you hit 5 kills.

Besides the day one patch they havent changed anything yet.

I'm not positive but in order to upload a hotpatch (patch on server side) wouldn't Halo 4 need dedi's?

Don't MS Servers require a patch that has been authenticated (pre-tested) and a patch download by users?

Besides the day one patch they havent changed anything yet.

I'm not positive but in order to upload a hotpatch (patch on server side) wouldn't Halo 4 need dedi's?

Don't MS Servers require a patch that has been authenticated (pre-tested) and a patch download by users?

A game only gets one free patch. Any patches after that cost 40,000. I wonder if 343 dont have to pay that being a microsoft owned studio.

Fuchsdh

You know someone mentioned that the other day and it definitely made me think about the sticky det kills I didn't get that day. As far as changing things without a patch, it certainly seems like properties are downloaded from matchmaking servers. If that's the case and how they're tweaking things, I would be really impressed.

Relevant, but they just had a interview with Halo Wars' designers where they mentioned they had planned a system where stats and tables for units were just a doc downloaded from the servers, meaning you wouldn't need title updates to do balance fixes. It makes a lot of sense for an RTS, but it'd be pretty cool if 343i implemented something similar too.

EDIT: I assume that also solves the issues with the "one free patch" rule. The reason Halo Wars didn't have it was because Ensemble was shuttered and it was kind of moot.

IHaveIce

Banned
Relevant, but they just had a interview with Halo Wars' designers where they mentioned they had planned a system where stats and tables for units were just a doc downloaded from the servers, meaning you wouldn't need title updates to do balance fixes. It makes a lot of sense for an RTS, but it'd be pretty cool if 343i implemented something similar too.

EDIT: I assume that also solves the issues with the "one free patch" rule. The reason Halo Wars didn't have it was because Ensemble was shuttered and it was kind of moot.

Interesting. Didn't 343 also talked about their new Cortana web that should seeing were something needs to be fixed ? Maybe something like this was applied.

EDIT: OH do we get a bulletin today? probably not because of thanksgiving huh?

Tashi

Yes it would. However, it seems so damn convenient and easy I just don't see how it's not an industry standard. I'm skeptical.

Tawpgun

Even if they are changing values, they should be letting that information be known so we don't feel frustrated about things working differently and so we can give them feedback.

By that alone I don't think they're changing values.

But if they are they should change Haven initial spawn and take non symmetrical maps out of CTF

FyreWulff

They can kind of change things with the Forge variants and Megalo hooks (depending on what they hooked into it). For instance, I just found out last night that they apparently have killcams being on/off built into the gametype variant.

Anything harder baked would require a TU, which is going to trigger the popup telling you to update.

To their credit, they did end up TUing Halo Wars 5 times. Although the last one was to fix a video bug.

Either way they need a TU to add DLC achievements so I'd expect Halo 4's first TU to come out with the DLC.

Tashi

They can kind of change things with the Forge variants and Megalo hooks (depending on what they hooked into it). For instance, I just found out last night that they apparently have killcams being on/off built into the gametype variant.

Anything harder baked would require a TU, which is going to trigger the popup telling you to update.

To their credit, they did end up TUing Halo Wars 5 times. Although the last one was to fix a video bug.

Either way they need a TU to add DLC achievements so I'd expect Halo 4's first TU to come out with the DLC.

That makes sense. I'm surprised we don't have a hard date for the first map pack yet.

This is the most conflicted I have ever been regarding a game. Halo IS my favorite video games series. The time I have poured into it and it's extended universe is unreal. No other game has received even close to the amount of time and care I have put into Halo. If any other game brought so much negativity towards my view of it, I'd have no problem getting rid of it and forgetting it. I keep trying to tell myself that I will like Halo 4, because I like Halo. It's a horrible feeling, and I wish it would pass. I have a pretty damn good idea of what Halo 4 did so wrong that made me not want to play, but that deep down Halo fan inside of me doesn't want to quit the series. At the same time, I really don't want to be stuck in the past, playing old Halo's forever, I can't do that anymore. I can't repeatedly play the old games just to get my fix. It's 1 part nostalgia, and 1 part love for what Halo used to be that would make me throw the old games back into my console. I don't like the feeling of having to say goodbye to the franchise, but I keep feeling like I am moving that way, and it makes sad.

I think gamers in general have a nostalgia behaviour that halts them from being open to new games or changes. If you re-read your post you even contradict yourself or be ambiguous at best e.g. I don't want the same game over and over but I don't like the new games/changes either.

That's a bit hard for developers to interpret and I used to think that with Reach until I realise I just play for fun. Then you know what I just have fun playing Halo again, all in the mindset. So what if some game mechanics lets a new player kill me 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 times. I never raged about Mario Kart slowing me down in first place, often after you lost the lead you were still good enough to take the win anyhow.

I feel like Reach missed that mark a bit but Halo 4 has more than enough counters, abilities etc that you will come out on top of your game more that 8/9 out of 10 times.

To me latency and teams vs. randoms have far more affect on my game enjoyment than any game mechanics that's skewed to casual or competitive players for that matter. Something to maybe help put some perspective on things.

Blinding

Hey, so I'm at SR 60. Where are the other specializations?

If you just got the SE you get a code emailed to you by Microsoft by the 30th to unlock all specializations, if you got the LE and already entered the code for all the specializations I believe people who didn't get them showing up just simply redownloaded the file and relaunched the game to fix it.

What kind of display does everyone use? CRT, HD, monitor?
I've been using an Alienware AW2210 for the last few years, picked it up on the cheap before they were discontinued. I like it. Decent colours for a TN and the backlight bleeding isn't nearly as bad as other monitors I've used.

I'm just waiting on a 120hz monitor that doesn't seem deeply flawed in one way or another before I upgrade.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just remembered that I haven't played in over a week now. How was Spartan Ops Episode 3? Worth coming back for?

What kind of display does everyone use? CRT, HD, monitor?

46" Samsung LED series 8 (use game mode to avoid screen latency). I find it awesome personally. I used to use a 68cm Sony CRT that was beast for Halo 2. Also occasionally I use an ASUS 27" LED HDMI monitor, which is fairly awesome at 2ms response with solid colours and controls.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just remembered that I haven't played in over a week now. How was Spartan Ops Episode 3? Worth coming back for?
Best episode in terms of levels and story progression, but if your playing solo prepare to get royally fucked by how hard it is.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
If you just got the SE you get a code emailed to you by Microsoft by the 20th to unlock all specializations, if you got the LE and already entered the code for all the specializations I believe people who didn't get them showing up just simply redownloaded the file and relaunched the game to fix it.
20th that just past or Dec. 20th?

Melee all day everyday.

Smash 64 > Life.

That's because they went with lockstep (they slowed down the simulation when someone started falling behind)

Namco is developing the next Smash though so they're probably going to be using their SC/etc netcode for Smash now.

Your emulator netplay was better because you had input delay instead / just better connections to the people playing.

edit: it should be noted that Iwata said in an interview that they were originally just going to take Melee and put it online if Sakurai refused to work on Brawl :lol

lol Didn't know that about Melee online, but I do remember Sakurai being hesitant on the project. I wonder what Brawl would've been like without him.. and tripping :b

Project M and Brawl+ are great though!

I think gamers in general have a nostalgia behaviour that halts them from being open to new games or changes. If you re-read your post you even contradict yourself or be ambiguous at best e.g. I don't want the same game over and over but I don't like the new games/changes either.

That's a bit hard for developers to interpret and I used to think that with Reach until I realise I just play for fun. Then you know what I just have fun playing Halo again, all in the mindset. So what if some game mechanics lets a new player kill me 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 times. I never raged about Mario Kart slowing me down in first place, often after you lost the lead you were still good enough to take the win anyhow.

I feel like Reach missed that mark a bit but Halo 4 has more than enough counters, abilities etc that you will come out on top of your game more that 8/9 out of 10 times.

To me latency and teams vs. randoms have far more affect on my game enjoyment than any game mechanics that's skewed to casual or competitive players for that matter. Something to maybe help put some perspective on things.

You REALLY missed my point. I have played the old Halos thousands of times. I am not tired of their formula, I am just tired of not having a new Halo that captures the feelings the old ones gave me. The old formula never gets old to me because that to me is what Halo is about. What I am tired of, is for 2 Halo releases in a row now, having a Halo that goes against the grain of what Halo used to be. I just want to play a new Halo with the old feel, that's all I have wanted since 2007.

I just read the Thanksgiving update for Shadowrun Returns kickstarter. I have to say they explain their process about 1000 times better than 343 does.

You REALLY missed my point. I have played the old Halos thousands of times. I am not tired of their formula, I am just tired of not having a new Halo that captures the feelings the old ones gave me. The old formula never gets old to me because that to me is what Halo is about. What I am tired of, is for 2 Halo releases in a row now, having a Halo that goes against the grain of what Halo used to be. I just want to play a new Halo with the old feel, that's all I have wanted since 2007.

Slayer Pro doesn't do that?

Reach with Anniversary maps/settings didn't do that? A shit-ton of maps we remade even.

CEA campaign didn't scratch that itch?

You always have Halo 2 or Halo CE (as you mention), they're still doing it exactly the same.

I honestly don't understand this gripe players have, you literally want the same old arena shooter verbatim time and time again, yes? For me I'm happy with a playlist or two as long as they are tweaked over months to cater for the disparities between that segment of the fan base.
can't please everyone all the time

I mean to be fair.. There are really only two Halo games that feel inarguably similar to each other (H2/H3). A lot of people say what you just said and how Reach never felt like a Halo game, and now it seems the cycle might continue with 4, but..

Halo Reach is much closer to Halo 3 than Halo 2 ever was to Halo 1.

I mean to be fair.. There are really only two Halo games that feel unarguably similar to each other. A lot of people say what you just said and how Reach never felt like a Halo game blah blah blah, and now it seems the cycle might continue with 4, but..

Halo Reach is much closer to Halo 3 than Halo 2 ever was to Halo 1.

If you take the time to assess the Reach & CE campaigns you can correlate so may CE similarities it's not even funny.

I grow tired of this it's not Halo, take CE, 2, 3, Reach and now 4 and just as you said there is not a single theme or setting that rules all.

Omni

Up to SR-48. I really dislike grinding for new ranks, but once I get to 50 I should be happy. Played so much that I'm starting to get a bit burnt out

Slayer Pro doesn't do that? Random Ordnance, Sprint's impact on many things, lack of smaller, good arena maps to name a few.

Reach with Anniversary maps/settings didn't do that? A shit-ton of maps we remade even. Didn't even come close to bringing back that feeling. Not to mention they were trying to do it within Reach's engine which already had shitty basetraits.

CEA campaign didn't scratch that itch? Beat that shit 11 years ago.

You always have Halo 2 or Halo CE (as you mention), they're still doing it exactly the same. I JUST SAID I NO LONGER WANT TO PLAY THE OLD GAMES!

I honestly don't understand this gripe players have, you literally want the same old arena shooter verbatim time and time again, yes? For me I'm happy with a playlist or two as long as they are tweaked over months to cater for the disparities between that segment of the fan base.
can't please everyone all the time

Responses are bolded.

Someone posted this on thc, might be useful for some here with this issue.

Big thanks for this Cyren. In Reach and Halo 3 you could start the countdown to enter MM then cancel it and the music would fade. Now it just drones and loops interminably. Nice solution.

I get bored with predictability. The most skilled players dominate every game and it's not fun.

A better player beating the inferior player isn't 'fun'? Oh gosh.

I'm sick of playing Haven again and again in MM, which is by far the best map.

Halo 4's two most played maps by a country mile are Haven and Ragnorok. What does this tell us? That people like remakes of favourites, yes. It also reveals that players favour clean, sleek playing arenas which aren't encumbered by brown crates and unnecessary labyrinths. Visual clarity. Simple design. Abandon is honestly a candidate for one of the worst maps in the entire series.

The tears over the Boltshot are just mind boggling to me. Perfect counter to people who want to try and sprint+melee you or double melee you, what's not to love? Quit getting up on people if you know they're using it. Simple concept...

I think the issue is that it's a secondary weapon. I've seen a few games now where the guy with a high amount of kills or the winner had the boltshot as his tool of destruction with 12 or so kills. That's too high for a secondary weapon. Also, sprint meleeing is practically non existent in this game from my experience. Most players I've seen abusing the boltshot have been hiding behind crates in the claustrophobic hallways of Adrift or just crouching corners in general. Forces you to go back to the execrable Promethean Vision.

Top Bottom