• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
O.k, this is it, the thread's final countdown. It has some hours of life left, this and next page, plus whatever the mods allow past post 20k.

As I pack things up and prepare for OT6, I want to thank everyone for the nice times we've had and looking forward to more fitness talk in the new thread.

And before the thread goes supernova, here is my mod-approved ass progress pic:

1376428264620_zps76925393.jpg

damn you all if you leave alone in the ass pic fest, lol

already posted my ass pic brah

Awesome. Thanks, man. A lot of that definitely hit home, especially in regards to hand placement. I'm going to change things up on my next cycle anyways. I think I'll go back to regular 5/3/1 and change up my assistance exercises completely as well reevaluate aspects of my form (like hand placement).

Yeah it really shows how form and the mental aspect of things impact your lifting. Finding out how to maximize your triceps, back, arms, pecs, etc.

Crazy. I love it.

deadbeef

Does it have to be a rowing movement? I have seen that recommended, but I'm not sure. And my copy of the ebook doesn't go over the BBB template. Currently I do the following:

Bench Press 5/3/1
Bench Press 5x10 @ 50%
5x10 Weighted Dips

I was looking for something to replace the weighted dips since I'm stalling. But if a rowing movement is required on BP days then that may be my problem.

Forgot about that one. Thanks.

Have you tried the Tate Press (I think that's what it's called on elitefts.com)? I like it for triceps work.

Never mind they just call it the elbows out extension now

http://asp.elitefts.net/qa/default.asp?qid=4162

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Actually the myth states it's 30g per meal. But like I said, it's a myth. Your body will absorb practically anything you feed it. You can feed it 300g of protein in a one sitting and it will be absorbed, it just takes a little bit longer.

There is a limit however to how big of an anabolic response you can get from protein at a given meal. I believe Layne Norton has said, that something in the region of 40g of protein in a meal will pretty much max out the anabolic response. So in that case it makes sense to not eat all your protein in one sitting (there are also other reasons of course). But this doesn't mean that you need to eat 6 meals a day either, plenty of people get good results with just 3 meals per day.

So yes, it's a myth. Your body will absorb every nutrient you will feed it unless you have some medical issue.

This is awesome info, thanks so much guys! Increased my ROM on my squats, pretty much sitting on the ground at this point... is there such a thing as too much?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man I wish I had a power bottom ass like Sphinx. I got nothin, I'm like Hank Hill, no matter how much I squat.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can somebody give me a good efficient AB workout for B workout in SS.

I got some suggestions, but it sounded like you needed an edit- decline bench to do a lot of them. I hate ab workouts though, such small range of motion and high reps, looking for something quicker.

TheJerit

I am trying intermittent fasting this week as my fat loss has been stalled out for over a month and I am trying to kick it in the ass. So far my energy levels have been through the roof and I find myself having a hard time going to sleep. I am still eating around 2000 calories and over 200 grams of protien a day. The biggest problem so far is I have not really pooped in two days and all of this is gonna come out of me at some point.

For anyone who has done it, I can't really lift fasted as I workout around 7PM, does anyone know how much of an impact this will have on fatloss? I cannot seem to find info on this anywhere.

Glad you decided to try it. On my 2nd week and still loving it. As for the poops, have you been keeping an eye on your fiber. You're chugging back a huge chunk of protein and in my experience, taking fiber pills (look like little multivitamins) has helped. Keep in mind that with leangains/IF, I'm still pretty much keto and don't typically go over 50 g of carbs a day.

I train around 7:20 or so in the mornings in my fasted state and haven't had any issues regarding it. I'm kind of thinking that its been even better, but I don't have anything solid backing that up. I typically break my fasting state around 1 or 2 and try to finish eating by 8 or 9 at the latest. keeping the window shorter hasn't been an issue and I've been preferring it that way.

Keep it up and let me know how it continues to go.

Can somebody give me a good efficient AB workout for B workout in SS.

I got some suggestions, but it sounded like you needed an incline bench to do a lot of them. I hate ab workouts though, such small range of motion and high reps, looking for something quicker.

Planks, side and front were recommended .

Can you hang yourself from your feet and add weight to them?

Noema

Took a deload week for the first time since I started doing 531 in January. My joints really thanked me for that one.

I find myself surprisingly sore now after 3 sessions this week. I didn't expect that. Feels strange to have such DOMS. My quads and glutes are super sore from squats; my hams are fried from GMs, my shoulders feel burnt from bench and my triceps from LTEs.

Do you guys experience this after deload week? It's not really a big deal, just a bit surprising.

Does anyone else even take 531 deload weeks?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Planks, side and front were recommended .

Can you hang yourself from your feet and add weight to them?

Ehh I took the planks out, I think actually you told me to lose them, then I read a few articles that mirrored your thoughts on them. Hang from my feet as in upside down? No, but I do have a pullup bar that I do hanging leg raises from.

I would do it in a heartbeat if my ACL wasn't torn!

Sorry to derail the current conversation, but Cooter, I ruptured my acl + meniscus playing basketball but have had surgery and made a full recovery. But if I remember, you chose not to have corrective surgery on it?

Just off the top of my head, I don't believe there are any obstacles in Ninja Warrior that would really rely on the ACL, since the ACL is basically only activated when doing forceful lateral movement ie pivoting. The only worries I would have is landing either with my legs locked (how I got injured in the first place), or if your legs naturally bend inward when jumping/landing.

Both my surgeon and physical therapist (who was a strength and conditioning coach for a college soccer team) recommend that if you have ACL issues, the best way to support it is to have strong quads and hammies, which you obviously have.

It sounds like you just have reservations in your head about testing out your knee. Just remember, it's possible to perform athletically at a high level without your ACL. A couple professional athletes come to mind: John Elway played his entire career with one of his ACLs, DeJuan Blair (Center for the Spurs/Mavs) doesn't have any ACLs and still plays, Hines Ward).

Basically, we just really want to see you on Ninja Warrior lol

Szu

Sorry to derail the current conversation, but Cooter, I ruptured my acl + meniscus playing basketball but have had surgery and made a full recovery. But if I remember, you chose not to have corrective surgery on it?

Just off the top of my head, I don't believe there are any obstacles in Ninja Warrior that would really rely on the ACL, since the ACL is basically only activated when doing forceful lateral movement ie pivoting. The only worries I would have is landing either with my legs locked (how I got injured in the first place), or if your legs naturally bend inward when jumping/landing.

Both my surgeon and physical therapist (who was a strength and conditioning coach for a college soccer team) recommend that if you have ACL issues, the best way to support it is to have strong quads and hammies, which you obviously have.

It sounds like you just have reservations in your head about testing out your knee. Just remember, it's possible to perform athletically at a high level without your ACL. A couple professional athletes come to mind: John Elway played his entire career with one of his ACLs, DeJuan Blair (Center for the Spurs/Mavs) doesn't have any ACLs and still plays, Hines Ward).

Basically, we just really want to see you on Ninja Warrior lol

I believe Cooter did have surgery on it after the first injury. But after the second injury about 6 months after the surgery, he chose not to repair it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I did have surgery and tore it again 14 months later. Even now if I land wrong in a downstep it will sometimes pop and be sore for a few days. It blows.

Ninja warrior wise, I think I would have trouble when you first start jumping from inverted plank to plank and also I think the wall climbs would be tough in my condition. Trust me, if I thought I was capable I'd give it a go! Hell, I'd be my son's all time hero if I made it on. He wants to do that stuff so bad right now.

abuC

I did have surgery and tore it again 14 months later. Even now if I land wrong in a downstep it will sometimes pop and be sore for a few days. It blows.

Ninja warrior wise, I think I would have trouble when you first start jumping from inverted plank to plank and also I think the wall climbs would be tough in my condition. Trust me, if I thought I was capable I'd give it a go! Hell, I'd be my son's all time hero if I made it on. He wants to do that stuff so bad right now.

Damn man, you still play ball on a torn ACL?

crpav

Sorry to hear. Knee injuries - NOT EVEN ONCE! I blew my knee up 2 times back in 2005 before I had surgery. Torn ACL, meniscus and bone damage. It has held up quite well considering how much punishment I give it. Year after surgery I played 3 nights of softball but have since cut down. I also have cut down from 5 to 6 days of cardio to maybe 1 to 2 during heavy lifting periods and maybe 3 or so when not heavy lifting. I will say the older I get the more sore it, as well as every joint, gets. 35 now but sometimes feel 70.

Cooter

Damn man, you still play ball on a torn ACL?
Not anymore. I did for a while and then I had a particularly bad pop that felt like I tore it all over again. A guy under the basket all the way on the other side heard it. Fuck my right leg! I've broken the femur and tore the ACL twice!

Chocobro

Goals basically being a combination of firstly, getting stronger, and secondly, being able to dunk. I'm 6'3 and can grab the rim so I'm not far off. Does gaf have any recommended exercises etc for gaining vertical? Anything not involving a clean preferably.

If I want to dunk sooner rather than later, I take it cutting will probably help more than bulking? I'm 85kg atm (so basically skinny-fat).

Since no one else is responding to you, I guess I will. Here's a video I watched two or three years ago. Is there is a reason you don't want to do cleans? You can do squats and box jumps though to increase your vertical.
And I guess for those who don't want to watch the video and want to increase your vertical, here's the workout Frank said in the video:

Start off doing this two times a week and increase frequency to three times a week after four to five weeks.
Workout A (Heavy) - Save this for when you're fresh, preferably at the beginning of the week
- 5 sets x 8 reps Power Cleans
- 5 sets x 8 reps Back Squats
Go as heavy as you can, rest 2-3 minutes between each set.

Workout B (Medium) - Should be done after 1-2 days of rest after Workout A. This is a lighter day so do it at 50-60% of your max. You'll be doing supersets
- 5 sets of 8 Hanging Power Cleans -> 8 Front Squats
Rest 2-3 minutes in between each set

Suggested to do M/Th AB for two times a week. When you increase your frequency to three times a week, do M/W/F, ABA/BAB depending on how you feel.

abuC

Not anymore. I did for a while and then I had a particularly bad pop that felt like I tore it all over again. A guy under the basket all the way on the other side heard it. Fuck my right leg! I've broken the femur and tore the ACL twice!

Damn, it sounds like one of your legs could be longer than the other if you've had that many problems with it.

Cooter

Damn, it sounds like one of your legs could be longer than the other if you've had that many problems with it.
lol

The break was a bone tumor when I was ten. It healed back stronger. Stupid knee was probably my fault for trying to do a full speed jimp stop at the buzzer instead of a one leg runner. ;)

abuC

lol

The break was a bone tumor when I was ten. It healed back stronger. Stupid knee was probably my fault for trying to do a full speed jimp stop at the buzzer instead of a one leg runner. ;)

Ha, I was just thinking that cause Greg Oden has a lot of knee problems and they found out one leg is longer than the other.

I don't do jump stops anymore, I can dunk but I play a really grounded, physical post game now that I have some strenff.

Since no one else is responding to you, I guess I will. Here's a video I watched two or three years ago. Is there is a reason you don't want to do cleans? You can do squats and box jumps though to increase your vertical.
And I guess for those who don't want to watch the video and want to increase your vertical, here's the workout Frank said in the video:

Start off doing this two times a week and increase frequency to three times a week after four to five weeks.
Workout A (Heavy) - Save this for when you're fresh, preferably at the beginning of the week

Workout B (Medium) - Should be done after 1-2 days of rest after Workout A. This is a lighter day so do it at 50-60% of your max. You'll be doing supersets

Suggested to do M/Th AB for two times a week. When you increase your frequency to three times a week, do M/W/F, ABA/BAB depending on how you feel.

In addition to just strength, you'd want to work on your explosiveness, so power cleans would be a must, as well as a good plyometrics program/workout.

Ha, I was just thinking that cause Greg Oden has a lot of knee problems and they found out one leg is longer than the other.

I don't do jump stops anymore, I can dunk but I play a really grounded, physical post game now that I have some strenff.

Also, Greg Oden is like 60 years old. I have more feels for Brandon Roy :(

We should have a GAF-fucked-up-knee bball team. Only three surgeries so far; ruptured right ACL & meniscus, and tore meniscus twice + loose bodies removed in the left knee. I can play both guard spots and I'll feed you the ball lol

[Continuing my re-write of the Fitness OT to make it more streamlined and beginner friendly, seeing as the intermediate/advanced dudes should know the basics already. See draft post 1 here, and draft post 2 here]

Exercise descriptions
Required watching:

Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Press
Power Clean
Rack Pull
RDL
Front Squat
Leg Press
Lying Tricep Extension
Barbell Shrug

Furthermore, it is encouraged to film yourself doing the above (and others) movements, and post it in this thread so that other gaffers can tell you what you're doing right/wrong.

Benefits

Squat
The Squat has been in contention with the deadlift as the "king of exercises" and for good reason. It is an amazing exercise and literally works everything from the bar down. Squats strengthen your abs, back, traps, quads, hams, and glutes, not to mention ALL of the supportive muscles. No other exercise releases as much growth hormone as a good set of hard, heavy squats--and that's why they are supremely important. Whether your goal is to lose or gain weight, squats represent a movement that cannot be reproduced or replaced by ANY other exercise--period. Unless you have a condition where you are physically unable to perform squats, they SHOULD be in your routine.

Deadlift
The Deadlift is perhaps the most "functional" exercise, or at least it appears to be. Simply put, you are lifting a weight from the ground, up. Involving a massive amount of musculature in the movement, the deadlift is pivotal in growth and strength, and in general health. It used to be named the "health lift", but I guess someone decided that didn't inspire ball-shaking fear, so it was renamed the "deadlift". And that's what it is: the weight begins dead on the ground, and is reset to "dead" at the bottom--no bouncing. A unique feature of the deadlift is that it does not have an eccentric movement to begin it, thus further making it difficult as you are not able to rely on the muscle's stretch reflex to aid in the concentric movement.

Bench Press
The Bench Press is one of the best builders of maximal upper body strength. While it does not correlate to any real world movement and has less athletic applications than the standing press, the fact that the bench press allows you to use more weight than the press, incline bench, or decline bench means that it is the best way to overload your pressing muscles (triceps and deltoids/pecs). It should not be glorified: you may have seen guys at the gym with huge chests and small back, guys whose shoulders are caved inward, etc. Don't become this.

Press
The standing press is a more "complete" movement than the bench press. It involves more muscle groups and follows the kinetic chain from the feet to the weight, similar to a deadlift or squat. However, the mechanics of the movement do not allow nearly as much weight to be used as the bench press, so it is usually overlooked. This is terrible--presses should be a regular part of everyone's routine. Properly done, they will help with shoulder imbalances, rotator cuff strength, and shoulder flexibility.

Bent Over Row
The Bent Over Row is a great exercise to complement the bench press and add pulling strength and size to your back. A powerful back seems to be a rarity these days--too much emphasis on lat pull downs and other exercises that don't allow enough of an overload. The bent over row not only strengthens your trapezius, your rhomboids, your biceps, and your deltoids, but also your lower back and spinal erectors due to the near parallel to the ground position your upper body is in.

Power Clean
The Power Clean is one of the best exercises one can do for developing explosive power. It is sort of a go-between exercise between standard lifting and Olympic weightlifting. Involving all the major pulling muscle groups (hamstrings, lower back, spinal erectors, trapezius, rhomboids, and to a lesser extent, biceps), it is a very quick movement that is fairly easy to learn, compared to the full Olympic counterpart.

Pull-ups
One of the best upper back, lat and bicep exercises you can do. Perform them hands facing towards you (chins) or away (pull-ups). Using a neutral grip or gymnastic rings is easier on the joints (more important if you're old or do hundreds a week). They're great for grinding to failure or doing small sets throughout the day or between pushing exercises. Add weight with a dip belt or dumbbell between the legs for added resistance.

Cardio
You can start out by reading death to cardio. With that knowledge replace cardio with skill training. Don't run 5k every day to lose weight. Run 5k to get better at running 5k. If you want to improve your conditioning and be in better shape I've yet to find an article better than Jim Wendler's Conditioning 101. If you are sedentary or focused on Starting Strength don't jump into high-intensity conditioning right away. With beginner's strength programs the only conditioning I would suggest is walking a few miles 5x/week. Work up to it if you don't walk as it is. It's not glamorous, but for 3-6 months you're going to be kicking ass in the weight room. It will start out easy but if you're doing too much you'll crash hard. Introduce conditioning incrementally after you're done with the beginner's program (knowing that it will affect recovery). Failing that, do as little as necessary for your sport. You can't go all out in the weight room and the track and expect everything to progress (especially on a diet).

You should be able to run some sort of conditioning program alongside whatever training you have, the key is choose something you actually want to do and program effectively to your work capacity and recovery. High intensity interval training (sprinting off/on for ten minutes) is more efficient than slow, steady cardio (jogging for an hour), hence the Conditioning 101 suggestions. But again, don't do this for fat loss, just look at the metabolic conditioning as a bonus and remember the more intense the conditioning the more draining on your central nervous system it is. For fat loss, strength or muscle hypertrophy cardio isn't necessary. There's better things to martyr yourself over. However if you have a fitness goal that happens to include conditioning, want to run a marathon or improve your heart rate, find something you like to do and have at it.

When do you stop being a beginner?
If you have to ask, chances are you're most likely still at a beginner level.
Omar Isuf defines beginner's as someone who has gained 20-25lbs of muscle since they started training regularly.
That's quite a lot, and will on average take you a year.
Don't let the noob moniker deter you though, as you individuals who have passed the beginner phase will gain so much less muscle per year.

Intermediate programs
Once you have gained that initial bulk of beginner's muscles (again, nothing you need to worry about if this is the first time), it might be time to start looking into an intermediate program to ensure maximal muscle growth:

Compound vs. Isolation exercises
While each have their strong points, compound exercises are more useful than isolation exercises. Keep in mind that your goals will dictate importance...but compound exercises work more than one muscle group at a time, and:
  • Teach the body to move/function as one unit
  • Strengthen connective tissue
  • Produce greater anabolic effect
  • Work more muscle groups with the same amount of effort (or less)
Compound exercises should make up the bulk of your workout. Isolation exercises have their place, but should NOT take second place to compound exercises--they should always supplement. Perhaps if you are a high level bodybuilder or working on a trouble spot, but I firmly believe that a routine based on isolation is vastly inferior to a routine based on compounds. As I said, they have their place:
  • Great for bodybuilding applications
  • Work on a lagging muscle group
  • Sometimes isolation is just necessary to focus on a muscle to make it grow--my arms don't really grow unless I do specific exercises for them, for instance
Some examples of compound exercises:
  • Squats-Works (in order of direct stimulation) quadriceps, gluteus, hamstrings, adductors, hip flexors, lower back, spinal erectors, abdominals
  • Deadlift-Works (in order of direct stimulation) trapezius, rhomboids, lower back, lats, spinal erectors, abdominals, gluteus, quadriceps, hamstrings, adductors, grip
  • Press-Works (in order of direct stimulation) triceps, deltoids, trapezius, rhomboids, abdominals, lower back
  • Power Clean-Works (in order of direct stimulation) trapezius, rhomboids, lower back, spinal erectors, hamstrings, quadriceps, calves, deltoids
Some examples of isolation exercises:
  • Preacher Curls-Works (in order of direct stimulation) biceps, forearms
  • Triceps Kickbacks-Works (in order of direct stimulation) triceps, deltoids (I'm being generous here)
  • Leg Curls-Works (in order of direct stimulation) hamstrings
  • Leg Extensions-Works (in order of direct stimulation) quadriceps
Sets & Reps-An Explanation in Regards to Goals
Here is a great chart taken from the Starting Strength wiki, which is meant to be a companion to Starting Strength:

This is the best explanation of repetitions and their effects. For information directly related to this, read the next section on "Muscular Hypertrophy".

Muscular Hypertrophy
Not all hypertrophy is created equal, and no, I'm not talking about building "lean" muscle and building "bulky" muscle. A more apt (but still terribly simplified) comparison is "functional/dense" vs. "superficial/bloated".

• Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy-This is an increase in the sarcoplasm in the muscle. Sarcoplasm is NON-CONTRACTILE TISSUE, but accounts for roughly 30% of the size of the muscle. In increasing sarcoplasm, you are actually DECREASING the muscle's contractile fiber density, resulting in less power/strength output across the muscle area. As you can see from the chart, from 10-12 reps and up is when sarcoplasmic hypertrophy comes into play. This is probably the type of "muscle-building" that bodybuilders get a rep for "all show and no go". However, it is not completely useless--simply being bigger in a chosen sport can have it's advantages and building size can help provide a better foundation for increasing your strength (the larger the cross-sectional area of a muscle, the greater it's potential for strength)
  • Myofibrillar Hypertrophy-This is an increase in the size of the actually muscle fibers, but NOT an increase in the amount of muscle fibers. The "density" of the muscle will actually increase. This sort of training is more "functional" and more important for athletes, as low reps build explosive power as well. Increases in size may not come as quickly as sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, but you still WILL get bigger if you train this way and eat properly. Low reps (1-5) are best for this.

abuC

Also, Greg Oden is like 60 years old. I have more feels for Brandon Roy :(

Greg did a lot for the civil rights movement.

We should have a GAF-fucked-up-knee bball team. Only three surgeries so far; ruptured right ACL & meniscus, and tore meniscus twice + loose bodies removed in the left knee. I can play both guard spots and I'll feed you the ball lol

I had a severe sprain in 8th grade and had a partial tear of my meniscus in the same knee many years later. Oddly enough it's actually gotten a lot better the last year though, used to have a lot of aches and pain with it but they seem to be gone for now.

I'll play the post, I wish I took weight lifting more seriously in HS, my body is built to play linebacker.

[Final post, my work is done. Post 1, Post 2, Post 3, and of course this post.]

Reputable Sources & the people of Fitness-GAF

Reputable sources
One of the flaws of the internet era is that there is simply too much information out there. What's true? What's bogus? Who can you trust? New posters most likely have heard a great deal of things from a great deal of sites, many of them contradicting one another. I've assembled a list of reputable figures in the exercise and nutrition fields whose works have benefited myself and many other long time posters in this thread.

Exercise
Mark Rippetoe: Strength coach, retired Texas powerlifter, author of Starting Strength and owner of startingstrength.com. Rippetoe specializes in training novice lifters with his model of linear progression, i.e, adding a little more weight to the bar each time. He likes to prescribe aggressive weight gain for underweight trainees with the tried and true Gallon of Milk a Day (GOMAD).

Jim Wendler: Powerlifter, writer at Elitefts, and author of the famous 5/3/1 program. While Rippetoe has more of a scientific background in his work, Wendler has more of a "Just do some fucking work" type mentality. That's not to say he's ignorant. The man believes in lifting heavy and hard, not eating like shit, and doing lots of hill sprints

Justin Lascek: Owner of 70sbig.com. Lascek's view have evolved over time into a model that emphasis strength, mobility, and smart conditioning. He has a philosophy that your program should fit your training goals, instead of the other way around. He has coached many successful strength athletes, like his friend, Chris Riley, who recently deadlifted 700 lbs. Also, creator of the CFWF program, a popular strength and conditioning program in the Crossfit community.

Kelly Starrett: Creator of Mobility Wod and flexibility fiend. His site has hundreds of videos to fix common mobility issues in novice and advanced athletes alike.

Nutrition
Lyle McDonald: Owner of bodyrecompostion.com and author of such dieting books as the Ultimate Diet 2.0, The Ketogenic Diet, and The Rapid Fat Loss Diet. McDonald bases all his dietary work in hard science, obsessively searching out every last detail on how nutrition affects the body. His site has a ton of free articles that go as deep or as shallow as you want them to. You really can't go wrong with his advice.

Alan Aragon: Author of Girth Control and owner of www.alanaragon.com/. Much like Lyle, he bases all his findings in hard science. He moderates on bodybuilding.com sometimes and enjoys making fun of broscience.

Martin Berkham: Creator of the legendary Lean Gains program, an intermittent fasting diet which has the diet fast for 16 hours and then proceed to have a 8 hour feeding window. His advice has made quite a few jacked guy and gals into super-jacked guy and gals. He occasionally updates his site, and while talks of a book are going around, nothing has come from it yet. Like Aragon and McDonald, he makes heavy of scientific date to explain why it's okay to fast for short amounts of time and eat carbs past 5 p.m. without becoming obese overnight. The only problem is that the specifics of his program have never really been explained by Berkham, however information gathered from numerous interviews and articles have allowed people to piece together the program with successful results.

Non-reputable sources
Bodybuilding.com: The site is a mixed bag. A lot of the articles are broscience, and many of the forum posters are whiny teens in search of the mystical Six-Pack. Not a bad place to buy supplements though.

Scooby: A jacked guy on YouTube who gives out advice in his videos. He's pretty nice guy from what I've seen, but some of his advice is questionable. A good rule of thumb is not to look up to lean, well muscled men as fitness gurus. Many of them only know to coach and train themselves and only have antidotal evidence why their stuffs works.

The Hodge Twins: The same as Scooby, two yammering heads in front of a camera on YouTube. Look for people with actual coaching experience.

4chan /fit: Not even once.

Guys at the gym: The guy with the 225 bench max after 4 years of training is not the best source of training information in the world. Neither is the guy who quarter squats 405. These people, for the most part, are not familiar with your training or your goals and give irrelevant or wrong advice.

Resources (websites, books, etc.)
BooksWebsites

Youtube channels

Thanks
This OT is an updated version of OT5, of which credit goes to MjFrancis, lil smoke, perryfarrell, Mr. City, and Anton Sugar. Many thanks also goes out to the men and women visiting this thread, posting advice, giving feedback, and just generally being a helpful bunch.

Without you, there would be no Fitness-GAF.

The old threads have been archived here:

OT1: Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape
OT2: Official Fitness Thread of Triceps Kickbacks, Swiss Ball Squats, and Testosterdrama
OT3: Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs
OT4: Fitness |OT4| Squat Booty, Summer Cuts, and Super Swoletrophy
OT5: Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

NeoGAF Fitocracy Group

MjFrancis

I like what you are doing Squiddy. Should have said so earlier.

If I have anything to add at the moment it's that the descriptions of each movement strike me as redundant given the video links. If a beginner needs more instruction beyond the video they will upload a form check or ask for a more detailed summary than what is provided.

Chocobro

In addition to just strength, you'd want to work on your explosiveness, so power cleans would be a must, as well as a good plyometrics program/workout.

Yeah, unfortunately KiwiLannister prefers something not involving cleans :| Don't think he'll increase his vertical as fast as he can by excluding cleans, there's only so much you can do with just squats and box jumps.

I like what you are doing Squiddy. Should have said so earlier.

If I have anything to add at the moment it's that the descriptions of each movement strike me as redundant given the video links. If a beginner needs more instruction beyond the video they will upload a form check or ask for a more detailed summary than what is provided.

I kinda agree, I'll rewrite them a bit to focus on the benefits of those main movements (the video links being more than enough to teach people how to actually do them).

I still want to throw in gifs of the main compound movements, but haven't found any good ones.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I kinda agree, I'll rewrite them a bit to focus on the benefits of those main movements (the video links being more than enough to teach people how to actually do them).

I still want to throw in gifs of the main compound movements, but haven't found any good ones.

Just use Gifcam and gif the the lifts you want from the vids you linked.

Thanks. Didn't really want to do cleans just because
I would have to teach myself but I'll see if I can

Just improving the drafts posted (here they are again: Post 1, Post 2, Post 3, and post 4).
Anything else that should be added/removed?

Also, for the last post, I'll throw in the progress of Petrie, FE, and Sean if I have your permissions. While Cooter's cut/bulk progress is great, it's not quite the same as the transformation journeys of the aforementioned posters.

With that said, I'll include various quotes from a lot more posters on Fitness, life, and everything else.

Actually, I think I'll stick to just adding various quotes to the OP, and then once the whole OT has been posted, people are free to post pictures of themselves and write about their own journey.

I would prefer to not have my pics up there as I want to push hard for 2014.

Consider it an ego thing.

Not a problem.

sphinx

the piano man
agreed, Squiddy has been doing a good job adn investing time, I say he should post the next thread.

regarding the thing about telling stories about fitgaffers, maybe it's too late but I wanted to suggest something that would keep the OT more neutral.

I thought maybe we could do a photo album, not before/afters, not "our 3 most inspring stories" or "the three most beautiful bodies around here", just make an album with small pics of all the people who would like to be included doing a thing that is fitness related, or eating something related like a quest bar, or something creative but related to the topic.

I don't know, Szu doing an upper kick, Cooter a Muscleup, Oogieboogie a handstand, stuff like that. I think we could have a nice album that would be truly inclusive

if squiddy does the OP, then he can receive entries (pics) for the next 7 days, keep adding them as they come and then we have a nice community album.

I don't mind either way, I am happy to reach a new thread.

agreed, Squiddy has been doing a good job adn investing time, I say he should post the next thread.

regarding the thing about telling stories about fitgaffers, maybe it's too late but I wanted to suggest something that would keep the OT more neutral.

I thought maybe we could do a photo album, not before/afters, not "our 3 most inspring stories" or "the three most beautiful bodies around here", just make an album with small pics of all the people who would like to be included doing a thing that is fitness related, or eating something related like a quest bar, or something creative but related to the topic.

I don't know, Szu doing an upper kick, Cooter a Muscleup, Oogieboogie a handstand, stuff like that. I think we could have a nice album that would be truly inclusive

if squiddy does the OP, then he can receive entries (pics) for the next 7 days, keep adding them as they come and then we have a nice community album.

I don't mind either way, I am happy to reach a new thread.

Yeah, I changed my mind already, I'll keep the OT neutral, and then people are free to post pictures & write about themselves in the posts that follow.

I like the album idea though.

I'd be honoured to post the next OT, but I have no idea what to call it.
If I were to create the next OT, I would like to post it in OT proper, and have it moved back to community after it's been exposed to the regular OT crowd.

Just a thought, and would need you guys as well as a mod to approve of it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No photos of any of us in the OP. We can choose when to show off when we like - having them there can be a turnoff and defeat people with low morale. Just my 2 cents though.

Cudder

No photos of any of us in the OP. We can choose when to show off when we like - having them there can be a turnoff and defeat people with low morale. Just my 2 cents though.

I assume they want to include before and after pics, not just how people look at this moment.

blackflag

So fat. Food out here in Cali is amazing. Sad that I have to head back home in a few hours. Xpost from self thread

Random Cali pics so far.

Google bike

Big E by a Google sign

Big E by the beach

Need to lose some weight #foreverbulk

Rainmaker Okada

We're gonna make it after all!

Holy shit I missed these. Looking swole my brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom