• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5 Micro transactions price table : or how to do it wrong

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Because it looks like the amount of in game credits players earn after winning races etc has been lowered in an attempt to steer payers towards the tokens.

This is why the "who cares, they're optional" argument is bunk. Sure, they absolutely can be optional, but how much faith do you really have in videogame publishers? There's money to be made in microtransactions, and if you've been gaming on PC or mobile over the past few years, you've seen just how developers/publishers can skew progression to push players towards purchasing microtransactions. Even when everything can be unlocked without paying extra, you're often faced with a pretty tedious and discouraging climb towards the top, along with frequent reminders to purchase PRIMO BUX or whatever they decide to call them. I don't really see this being any different with next-gen console games, $60 price tag or not.

My annoyment at past-gen forced DLC is nothing compared to this alarming trend. We should organize a crusade in the style of the #NoDRM one

SmokyDave

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't have to buy credits for anything right? Just if you want to be impatient and advance faster?
Indeed.

So it's in their best interest to artificially retard your progress. What used to be a grind will become a griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind.

Nzyme32

MS is just too consistent at this point for this to be a mistake.

image.php

Drager

Banned
So it's pretty much not worth the time to play the game.

The game is pretty generous with reward credits. It is very much worth your time, unless you don't like driving games.

The whole point of the credits is to appease the kind of player that knows exactly which cars they want and they don't want to spend the time going up the ladder of "lesser" cars to get them. I drive a WRX. Lets say I want that WRX out of the gate. I could do that if I wanted to so I could race around with my friends in multiplayer. If I want to play the game like it's intended. I can. Seriously guys, you don't even have a copy of the game in your hands left, and given Forza's prior record of being easy on the player by gifting cars and credits, you are all making assumptions based on your worse case scenario. This game isn't as bad as a game like Real Racing 2.

OG Xbox and the 360 were my favourite consoles since I started gaming on the ZX Spectrum, but fuck MS in the ear for their latest policies. Wouldn't spend another penny on any of their products, I'm so done with their underhand shadiness and greed.

SmokyDave

The game is pretty generous with reward credits. It is very much worth your time, unless you don't like driving games.
Eurogamer quoted around 110k per hour, didn't they?

And haven't the prize cars disappeared?

I dunno, doesn't sound all that generous to me based on my prior experiences with the franchise.

The concept of paying for these tokens confuses me. Either the game is fun, or fun not. There is no buy. So you pay $60 for a game and then pay more money so you don't have to play the game?

Drager

Banned

I dunno, doesn't sound all that generous to me based on my prior experiences with the franchise.
Because it sounds so like Turn 10 to take away gifting cars and not do something like lower the cost of cars or give you more credits based on difficulty. Come on....

SmokyDave

The concept of paying for these tokens confuses me. Either the game is fun, or fun not. There is no buy. So you pay $60 for a game and then pay more money so you don't have to play the game?
No, you pay so that you can play the game with the cars that you want to play the game with.

Imagine if you had to complete a fighting game 200 times to unlock each character. Would that be cool because you're supposed to enjoy the fighting anyway? Is there any amount of grinding that is unacceptable?

Because it sounds so like Turn 10 to take away gifting cars and not do something like lower the cost of cars or give you more credits based on difficulty. Come on....
Turn 10 used to gift me cars in Forza 3 that I couldn't use until I paid for the appropriate DLC and then ground out enough in game credits to buy them again.

Forgive me if they don't get the benefit of my doubt.

Indeed.

So it's in their best interest to artificially retard your progress. What used to be a grind will become a griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind.

Is there a way, we could compare how much time it took us in Forza 3 and 4 to unlock the first 5/10/25/50/100/200 cars to compare it with Forza 5? MAYBE they didn't make it grindier. If so, I'd be ok with rich people with little time, who just want all cars right from the start, keeping game-prices at 60$ (compared to the possible 70$ some speculated about).
We'd have to consider that there's fewer cars in Forza 5 so making it a BIT harder to unlock them would be ok for me.

Also: What can be bought with tokens? Only cars or also track unlocks, tuning parts and visual stuff?

Fruitster

This is a damn shame. Saddens me to see a great series like Forza have it's good rep stained with grubby micro transaction practice's like this.

mackattk

This is what I don't understand.... If you eventually make 110k/hour, or hell, even 30k/hour.. why would you buy 8k for 100 bucks? Am I missing something here?

I am doing my best to hold my opinions until I get some more information, but there are a lot of unknowns right now.

Devildoll

This is what I don't understand.... If you eventually make 110k/hour, or hell, even 30k/hour.. why would you buy 8k for 100 bucks? Am I missing something here?

I am doing my best to hold my opinions until I get some more information, but there are a lot of unknowns right now.

8000 tokens is $100

Ingame credits is a different thing.

Devildoll

I asked a streamer to go look at the token prices in the store

This is how it looked
ib18rOCSKZHkvy.png

so if my math is correct, that would be....

100T $1.35 74 Tokens/$
575T $6.65 86 Tokens/$
1250T $13.45 92 Tokens/$
2700T $26.95 100 Tokens/$
8000T $64.95 123 Tokens/$
20000T $139.95 142,9 Tokens/$

atleast the bigger packs get you a bit better value.

I asked a streamer to go look at the token prices in the store

This is how it looked
ib18rOCSKZHkvy.png

so if my math is correct, that would be....

100T $1.35 74 Tokens/$
575T $6.65 86 Tokens/$
1250T $13.45 92 Tokens/$
2700T $26.95 100 Tokens/$
8000T $64.95 123 Tokens/$
20000T $139.95 142,9 Tokens/$

atleast the bigger packs get you a bit better value.

so Europe is getting screwed by a factor of 2,5 ?

140$ = 20 000 tokens
100€ = 8 000 tokens

Wow

Yup, according to a quick google conversion: 65 US Dollar equals 48.28 Euro
So $65 for 8,000 tokens in the U.S. and 100 Euros for 8,000 tokens in the EU. wow.

Maybe they are heavy so the shipping costs are high? ;)

How much credits or tokens worth? Does it even say? Man this game is fucked up on so many levels.

1. The disk only contains a portion of the full game, you have to download the rest.
2. Microtransactions make it a pay-2-win game despite costing $60 already.
3. Value of microtransactions goes DOWN with each higher package.
4. Multiply monetary systems to further confuse customers.
5. And I heard the game is already really lacking in content and they're going to release more as paid DLC.

edit:

6. Europe is getting screwed by a factor of 2.5

How much credits or tokens worth? Does it even say? Man this game is fucked up on so many levels.

1. The disk only contains a portion of the full game, you have to download the rest.
2. Microtransactions make it a pay-2-win game despite costing $60 already.
3. Value of microtransactions goes DOWN with each higher package.
4. Multiply monetary systems to further confuse customers.
5. And I heard the game is already really lacking in content and they're going to release more as paid DLC.

The fact that you put F2P micro transactions and boosters in a full 60$ game is just wrong. Years ago it was simply cheat codes. Now we pay for pre order exclusive DLC, for limited edition DLC, for retailer exclusive DLC, for the full game and yet we have to pay more for the content on the disc we own.

Some people say you need about 30$ worth of tokens to get the mclaren on the cover or grind 200 hours worth of credits to buy it but we need to confirm/debunk that

Jim Sterling pointed out this hypocrisy perfectly in his "Fee to Pay" Jimquisition, basically saying that publishers complain about places like Gamestop because people grind through games in a few days and then sell them back to Gamestop quickly, yet they are perfectly willing to sell you the ability the breeze through a game by maxing out your stats for a fee so you can beat it quicker...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I laughed at EA's "timesaver" DLC last gen, but five bucks to unlock everything seems pretty inoffensive at this point. Heh.

Jim Sterling pointed out this hypocrisy perfectly in his "Fee to Pay" Jimquisition, basically saying that publishers complain about places like Gamestop because people grind through games in a few days and then sell them back to Gamestop quickly, yet they are perfectly willing to sell you the ability the breeze through a game by maxing out your stats for a fee so you can beat it quicker...

Of course ! they make money on that grind ! Gamestop doesn't ! So why would they not offer that to the most impatient and wealthy gamers ?

Why not also divide by 10 the credits earnings to push the players to buy tokens and boosters ?

Why not after that, reduce the number of cars at 2 per category ? Who needs a lot of cars, player always choose the same few anyway. But hey, if you really love that Aventador, here, you can have it for $14,99 and then you have to grind again to afford it ! But it comes with two colors* and a full interactive Auto Vista slot**
Why not also make only the indianapolise raceway, people just want to drive fast, arent they ? They don't really have time to get technical and improve their driving around tight corners so only one track is shipped and you can buy the Nurb for 24,99$ or the full Nurb pack, reveserve and all loops*** for 79,99$

* Additional colors available through colors palettes, 14,99$ each
** Jeremy Clarkson audio commentary only included in the Top Gear Package, for 24,99$
*** Dynamic weather or time of day not available on the Nurb pack

Seriously, it's up to the press to inform the buyers these shamefull policies and the gamers should boycott these practices.

Pvax

Neo Member
so Europe is getting screwed by a factor of 2,5 ?

No. It's more likely it means that most the original image posted in this thread was Photoshopped to get everyone riled up.

edit: VVV Sorry. I didn't mean to call you out or anything. I just knew something was wrong with those bundle prices as no one would intentionally price tiers like that.

HeliosT10

Hi all, just wanted to quickly clarify the situation.

The pricing displayed for Token Packs in Forza Motorsport 5 is incorrect. As a result, transactions are not paying out the correct number of tokens. We are resolving this issue immediately and expect players to see the correct pricing structure and accurate token values later today. Any player that has purchased one of these packs will be credited the appropriate amount of tokens when the issue has been resolved.

Any chance someone could update the OP?

kmg90

No. It's more likely it means that most the original image posted in this thread was Photoshopped to get everyone riled up.

Does it now? Given how they priced the system for Europe this 1:1 price system is par for Microsoft.....

The pricing displayed for Token Packs in Forza Motorsport 5 is incorrect. As a result, transactions are not paying out the correct number of tokens. We are resolving this issue immediately and expect players to see the correct pricing structure and accurate token values later today. Any player that has purchased one of these packs will be credited the appropriate amount of tokens when the issue has been resolved.

Please provide us as soon as possible the correct price to tokens tables to clarify the situation.

Also, please clarify on european prices

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't have to buy credits for anything right? Just if you want to be impatient and advance faster?

It is a conflict of interest though. If you have a progression system in a game, plus a micro transaction model that allows you to shortcut that progression, there is a clear opportunity to artificially extend that progression to encourage more people to take the pay option.

of course not all developers will do that, but some will. IMO the only option is to not have these mechanics in games.

Devildoll

Any chance someone could update the OP?

i suspected that the displayed pricing was just placeholder/inaccurate,

*pokes UnluckyKate*

No, you pay so that you can play the game with the cars that you want to play the game with.

Imagine if you had to complete a fighting game 200 times to unlock each character. Would that be cool because you're supposed to enjoy the fighting anyway? Is there any amount of grinding that is unacceptable?

Here is a wild concept. If you know there is something in your game that the players would find annoying then don't put that thing in your game.

Top Bottom