• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
thats because all the FPS fans were on the OG Xbox.

And before THAT, they were on the n64 with Goldeneye (about 9+ million sold), Turok, Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, etc.

FPS isn't going anywhere, it just shifts platforms now and then.

thanks for this. im pulling that game out right now cause of you ;) but yea you hit it right on the button with fps genre and their shift from gen-gen.

CoG

Holy shit...and here I was thinking most people were waiting on good titles before going PS4.

OR IS THIS JUST THE BEGINNING.

People are buying for AC4, FIFA, CoD, BF. Not many people over-analyze exclusives. A cheaper system that plays all games better? A no-brainer.

MS bought Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey cash on the barrel. Outside of Ninja Gaiden, I can't remember them doing jack early. They were incompetent on their own and it had nothing to do with the 360.

Tales of vesperia, eternal sonata, last remnant and other japanese focused games didn't happen?

Meanwhile, Gamestop was literally laughing people out of the store who were asking about PS4s. The demand between the two systems wasn't anything close to even.

But for the whole month of December no one knew if it was just better supply or unequal demand. I believe those questions have been answered.

Road

I think you're missing one country (can't tell which one), because I'm counting 47 on your list and this post says they launched in 48.

India launch was on January 6.

PS4 launched in India some days ago.

edit: the PR says 53 countries lol

Thanks!

52 now. It's still missing 1 country...

NOV 15
CANADA
UNITED STATES

NO 29
ARGENTINA
AUSTRALIA
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
BRAZIL
CHILE
COLOMBIA
COSTA RICA
DENMARK
EL SALVADOR
FINLAND
FRANCE
GERMANY
GUATEMALA
IRELAND
ITALY
LUXEMBOURG
MEXICO
NETHERLANDS
NEW ZEALAND
NORWAY
PANAMA
PERU
POLAND
PORTUGAL
RUSSIA
SPAIN
SWEDEN
SWITZERLAND
UNITED KINGDOM

DEC 13
BAHRAIN
BOLIVIA
CZECH REPUBLIC
GREECE
HUNGARY
KUWAIT
NICARAGUA
OMAN
PARAGUAY
QATAR
SAUDI ARABIA
SLOVAKIA
SOUTH AFRICA
TURKEY
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
URUGUAY

DEC 17
HONG KONG
SOUTH KOREA

DEC 19
SINGAPORE

JAN 6
INDIA

Lexxism

Thanks!

52 now. It's still missing 1 country...

*snip*

This is just my guess. Probably Philippines?

01jcqQi.jpg

Gskyace

So am I right here?

PS4 $399 from 15/11/2013 to 28/12/2013 4.2million 54 markets | 5.0millon 03/2014
XB1 $499 from 22/11/2013 to 2D/12/2013 3.0million 13 markets | 400million to 1billion lifetime
WiU $299 from 18/11/2012 to 30/11/2013 4.3million nn markets | 9.0million 05/2014

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Congrats to Sony :)

I haven't touched my PS4 much quite honestly but looking forward to the next wave of games.

IN&OUT

Banned
MS gaming devision main rules:

First rule: Don't ever make Sony release consoles first.

Second rule: see rule number 1.

For comparison's sake...does anyone know how long it took the PS3 to sell 4 million units?

I don't think that comparison means a great deal as this new gen is unique in that it was so long overdue, being 8 years and all.

I think the longer people were stuck with last gen the more prospective sales for the new gen were pent up until you get to this point with big, unprecedented numbers being sold at launch.

The period between now and the summer will obviously be more indicative of the sales rate of both and can be more correctly compared to past consoles' sales.

And now they lost both of those with no hope of a comeback. Gen is already over tbqh. I expect 3rd parties to only got to PS4 because putting games on bone would see a bad ROI.

Not sure if serious.

Granted, I think the generation is indeed already callable for Sony even this early, but Xbox One isn't putting up terrible Wii U numbers. The United States alone will sell enough Xbox Ones for it to be viable for third parties, it isn't going to completely implode here. PS4 should certainly have a sizable lead, barring surprises, but Xbox One isn't going to be insignificant.

Animator

I wonder when I will be able to just walk into a store and find ps4's on the shelves.

Hoping to do so by february when infamous is out but it doesn't seem likely with how much demand there is for the thing.

People are buying for AC4, FIFA, CoD, BF. Not many people over-analyze exclusives. A cheaper system that plays all games better? A no-brainer.

This, well said. BF4 and NFS:R have been keeping me busy since launch and they are both sublime experiences on the PS4 from a game play perspective. A no-brainer indeed

I guess that settles the supply chain vs demand debate that was going on.

Not only has Sony been able to supply more units, it is actually in more demand than Xbox One.

Impressive

DR3AM

3 million for MS now seems more impressive for a system that costs $100 more and all the DRM backslash. Not saying that 4.2 is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom