• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Land Minigames Unveiled (Screens)

DrWong

Yeah this game will not be a cheap stuff with cheaps mini games. 16 levels just for Metroid Blast. 3 or 4 modes with gameplay twist. I'm sold on this game since I tested it a few month ago and each new preview make me think Nintendo has found a new big franchise and a solid system seller.

Can't wait to play it.

daakusedo

Seeing the new batch of infos and medias certainly helped me to choose what wiiu pack to take. I'm finding a lot attractions potentially great for multiplayer and I wonder how a typical multiplayer session will end, playing extensively one game or being more balanced and playing them all, seeing how they each seem deep and full of modes.

Terrell

I really love how they are continuing with their arts & crafts diorama style with each attraction.

Erector/Meccano set, needlepoint and ceramics, paper craft, wood carvings, quilting/fabric... it all looks beautiful.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really love how they are continuing with their arts & crafts diorama style with each attraction.

Erector/Meccano set, needlepoint and ceramics, paper craft, wood carvings, quilting/fabric... it all looks beautiful.

Ladies and gentlemen, the power of having an art style and a theme.

It does look really nice. It's fascinating to see what Nintendo is experimenting with for crafting visuals with this technology.

Terrell

Ladies and gentlemen, the power of having an art style and a theme.

It does look really nice. It's fascinating to see what Nintendo is experimenting with for crafting visuals with this technology.

My guess? They were waiting for a console with amazing texturing quality to do it, since Wii wouldn't have nailed it quite this well.

And yeah, art style really is king. I think we could see another gen of Nintendo really experimenting with visual styles again, and I could not be happier.

Weenerz

Banned
At E3, I wasn't impressed with this game at all, I didn't really know what they were going for, but looking at the OP and the gameplay trailers now, and man does it look fun. So glad it's a free game for my deluxe preorder.

Kai Dracon

My guess? They were waiting for a console with amazing texturing quality to do it, since Wii wouldn't have nailed it quite this well.

And yeah, art style really is king. I think we could see another gen of Nintendo really experimenting with visual styles again, and I could not be happier.

Hmm, for what it's worth, we've seen internal concept art for years from Nintendo that often uses a mechanical and handicraft design. Some of that stuff did come out in Mario Galaxy, too.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
1) I'm surprised the black Wii bundles come with a physical copy of the game, as opposed to a digital copy.

2) I wonder what sorts of "unlockables" might be hidden within Nintendoland.

I'm surprised there is no online in this game. It would be a perfect example of Nintendo getting the family together at home and showing how good their online network could be. Hopefully we'll get a good taste of how the online works with Black Ops 2.

Medalion

Banned
I'm surprised there is no online in this game. It would be a perfect example of Nintendo getting the family together at home and showing how good their online network could be. Hopefully we'll get a good taste of how the online works with Black Ops 2.

Nothing says Family Friendly like meeting strangers on the net soliciting sex or making sexist/racist/homophobic remarks during matches

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1) I'm surprised the black Wii bundles come with a physical copy of the game, as opposed to a digital copy.

Probably no unlockables, just like Wii Sports.

cullenx

Banned
I'd love to see a new Mario like Nuts & Bolts where you create levels and vehicles to get around the world. The tablet would be perfect for this.

Also, where's the Starfox ride? That would be primo for this, dog fights with your friends?

cullenx

Banned

2. Devs said various items and stuff would show up in the hub world after you play games. I personally would love to see you get some sort of tokens, which you then use to buy the prizes to show off in your hub world.

JoeInky

2. Devs said various items and stuff would show up in the hub world after you play games. I personally would love to see you get some sort of tokens, which you then use to buy the prizes to show off in your hub world.

If I remember rightly, you can earn coins in the minigames which can be used in a pachinko style game to unlock memorabilia for the main hub.

1) Pikmin mini game looks graphically more impressive than Pikmin 3 lol
2) The art style of each game is pitch perfect-i want full sequels of each game already. Local "casual" co-op Metroid and Zelda? YES, PLEASE

pakkit

Banned
Wii U is positioning itself as the HD platform to have if you enjoy local multiplayer. The amorphous design will make interactions that much more interesting, and the idea of playing co-op FPS games with two independent screens is insanely appealing.

Kai Dracon

Wii U is positioning itself as the HD platform to have if you enjoy local multiplayer. The amorphous design will make interactions that much more interesting, and the idea of playing co-op FPS games with two independent screens is insanely appealing.

People are quick to forget that Nintendo published, on the Wii no less, perhaps the best selling single game this generation with online play: Mario Kart Wii. They're not afraid of online play; that's a notion circulated by people who think every single game should be built around online. The difference is they still give equal weight to local multiplayer.

Sadly I've talked to adult game players who sincerely believe that virtually nobody plays local multiplayer anymore, and more importantly, believe that nobody should want to because being able to sit in your underwear with a headset is clearly the superior way to enjoy video games. I suppose this is the effect of an echo chamber of like-minded gamers who glommed onto Xbox Live this gen, and only ever talk to or play games with people on Live.

It seems that "nobody should want to" part is the origin of the truly bitter sentiments you see tossed towards Nintendo when a given Nintendo game has no online play, because for those folks it's not just disappointment but an attack on their belief about what is the 'correct' way to make a game.

I am glad that Nintendo is simultaneously improving their online capabilities AND focusing on new local capabilities with this console. It also shouldn't be overlooked that they are putting a new focus on distributed social features related to playing local or even single player games - that's not Nintendo being 'weird', but paying attention to the way the wind is really blowing in the industry. It's more progressive than some are giving them credit for. (You know something's up when Valve says they likely won't ever make another single player game that doesn't have some form of online connectivity to share things with other players.)

Speaking of which, I am very interested to see if Nintendoland incorporates any of the Miiverse features as NSMB U does. That could put the package over the top.

People are quick to forget that Nintendo published, on the Wii no less, perhaps the best selling single game this generation with online play: Mario Kart Wii. They're not afraid of online play; that's a notion circulated by people who think every single game should be built around online. The difference is they still give equal weight to local multiplayer.

Sadly I've talked to adult game players who sincerely believe that virtually nobody plays local multiplayer anymore, and more importantly, believe that nobody should want to because being able to sit in your underwear with a headset is clearly the superior way to enjoy video games. I suppose this is the effect of an echo chamber of like-minded gamers who glommed onto Xbox Live this gen, and only ever talk to or play games with people on Live.

It seems that "nobody should want to" part is the origin of the truly bitter sentiments you see tossed towards Nintendo when a given Nintendo game has no online play, because for those folks it's not just disappointment but an attack on their belief about what is the 'correct' way to make a game.

I am glad that Nintendo is simultaneously improving their online capabilities AND focusing on new local capabilities with this console. It also shouldn't be overlooked that they are putting a new focus on distributed social features related to playing local or even single player games - that's not Nintendo being 'weird', but paying attention to the way the wind is really blowing in the industry. It's more progressive than some are giving them credit for. (You know something's up when Valve says they likely won't ever make another single player game that doesn't have some form of online connectivity to share things with other players.)

Speaking of which, I am very interested to see if Nintendoland incorporates any of the Miiverse features as NSMB U does. That could put the package over the top.

You're like the king of strawman arguments. I love it. This game would not be hurt by the addition of online play. In fact it would be become a lot better and even more accessible.

But go on, continue with the fantasy that nintendo is infallible as a software developer and anyone who thinks otherwise is a hypocritical, man baby playing COD in his underwear.

Berordn

Supposedly a bunch of Miiverse features are built into that ugly hub, with the attending Miis being from there and giving comments on the attractions.

J.W.Crazy

You're like the king of strawman arguments. I love it. This game would not be hurt by the addition of online play. In fact it would be become a lot better and even more accessible.

But go on, continue with the fantasy that nintendo is infallible as a software developer and anyone who thinks otherwise is a hypocritical, man baby playing COD in his underwear.

If the game is meant to be a showcase for asymmetric gameplay online multiplayer does hurt it. It's built around the ability to see the other players in the room interacting in a different way. Adding online might be great for you as an individual but Nintendo's perspective is probably that without it you're forced to try involving friends and family that don't already have a Wii U. Local multiplayer sells systems.

I'd personally love it to have online but as it is I'm going to try and convince other people to play with me in person and it's hard to believe that isn't Nintendo's goal.

But what's really funny is tryIng to belittle others with your own opinion, right?

BlackJace

He never said such a thing, though.

Diablos54

Did you even read what he said? Cause it doesn't look like you did. Kaijima's one of the more level headed people on this fourm, and you are... Not to say the least. So you throwing accusations about is LOL.

meppi

I love how the game gives newcomers to Pikmin a great idea what Pikmin is about, can see this game getting people more interested in the following Pikmin 3

Never thought about it like that. Hopefully this is exactly what will happen and Pikmin 3 will do very well. Still my most wanted game right now.

Kai Dracon

... which is a massive strawman right there.

Never said any such thing, but thanks for playing, I guess?

Just upthread, I remarked that unlike NSMB U, online play could have been added to many of the games in Nintendoland without compromising the experience, but that doesn't seem to be the focus of the product.

No sir, what I am remarking on are specific people who have a very narrow view - people who do exist, who I and other people have dealt with in such discussions - about multiplayer gaming, and who will blindly criticize anything that doesn't fit into their paradigm. And yes, these people take a big dump on anything that doesn't have online multiplayer, even when it would be a useless feature for the game in question (which, I hardly said was the case with this particular game). It's just that Nintendo and any Nintendo software seem to earn this kneejerk reaction a lot more readily. Is it because of the meme "Nintendo has no online?" Maybe. It does seem to come up a lot.

In point of fact, I personally would have been interested in online play for Nintendoland because the games look great for multiplayer. But I equally appreciate the focus on a robust local experience, so it hardly ruins the product for me.

jaypah

I love Nintendo to death and I still don't understand why this couldn't also have online. I don't want to try and force people to play Nintendo. As it stands it'll just be me and my girl playing, that sucks.

Also getting pretty damn tired of the Nintendo persecution complex. As a dude who loves Nintendo (but not blindly) it turns me off from joining discussions, so I usually come here for news and just talk about it with the lady.

Kunan

I wish that devs had learned in the Wii generation that if you're going to make a mini-game collection, implement a relatively small number of highly polished games with some replay value, instead of just shoving in dozens of shitty games into the same package.

Nintendo Land is a mini-game pack I can get behind.
Indeed. I can't even imagine how much time was spent with a group huddled around the tv for this:
kidsclub.jpg

And Nintendo Land is much, much more deep.

Kai Dracon

I love Nintendo to death and I still don't understand why this couldn't also have online. I don't want to try and force people to play Nintendo. As it stands it'll just be me and my girl playing, that sucks.

Honestly, I think it would deserve more criticism on that count if it wasn't a launch game. Unfortunately, with rare exceptions, launch games never have as many features as they could.

If this game came out 2 years into Wii U's lifespan, with Nintendo Network fully entrenched, and ignored online play, it would be a lot more glaring.

Actually, my biggest criticism of the game is 3 of the major games in the set are multiplayer only. It's a kind of ugly disparity when a lot of the content is locked out to people who are playing by themselves. All three of the affected games could have been done with bots controlling the other player slots.

Irony.

NSMB is a perfect example of a game that would be measureably worse if it included online. The multiplayer is built around griefing others, which is fun with your friends in a room and FUCKING IRRITATING with randoms. Nintendo would have had no choice but to remove/time down the playa' hatin' to include online and it would not have come close to being an equal trade.

People should start thinking like a developer, not every feature makes sense for your game, and every choice impacts the design.

jaypah

NSMB is a perfect example of a game that would be measureably worse if it included online. The multiplayer is built around griefing others, which is fun with your friends in a room and FUCKING IRRITATING with randoms. Nintendo would have had no choice but to remove/time down the playa' hatin' to include online and it would not have come close to being an equal trade.

People should start thinking like a developer, not every feature makes sense for your game, and every choice impacts the design.

Play online with friends? It's not "local with friends or online with strangers, sorry". I only play online with friends. Mainly because it has gotten complicates to get together physically. Not impossible but I'd like online to fall back on. No excuse for the lack of it really. I'll still buy it but I'm not going to pretend that they didn't drop the ball.

Top Bottom