• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Mafia |OT| Grin and Bear It

*Splinter

It's real life getting in the way, especially with the game starting earlier than advertised. I have a fairly large paper due tonight for an ivy league that can pretty much decide my future as far as graduate school plans go. Alas, it is not on mafia so writing posts doesn't help towards my page count! :p
Crap, that's word for word what I said. I'll be more careful not to give people excuses.

Sawneeks: you might be thinking of terabyte. As far as I remember he was the only person to vote goshu, and did it before Corn pointed out the role reveal.

kgtrep: I quite like that theory, lol

Sawneeks

Banned
Did I make a post on Ambien, because I dont recall ever voting for Goshu and I think you are confusing me for someone else.

Oh shit, yeah, my bad. I am mixing you up with Terrabyte. When I double-checked I skimmed really quickly and saw your avatar and got you both mixed up. That was my mistake.

As for why they voted for Goshu both claimed they didn't see his post before typing up their reply.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Will AbsolutBro and

VOTE:Barrylocke

Please report to the thread?

Wonder what he's been up to... Kinda quiet actually.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
kingkitty, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you dug yourself a hole with this post:
This is my plan.

Plan 1) This isn't a great plan, but I don't want to see day 1 devolve into needless role claims. It might not be "very helpful", but whatever, it's just a silly idea, people don't have to dig it.

Plan 2) My death

In the (seems like high) possibility people react negatively to my plan, which then leads to my own death. Well so be it. My death could "very helpful" for the town, maybe. Hopefully. It depends I guess. Then I can watch, stress free from the comfort of dead island, to see if my move actually paid off. Which there's a good chance it won't. But hey, it might.
Somehow, you made it worse with this one:
it seems like the school is not vibing to my idea.

so I'll

unvote: goshujinsama

I thought it was a great idea, the best idea. But I guess I'll have to change course. Hopefully the school doesn't turn into a role claim fest.

If you think I'm an incompetent despair (to be fair, I was a slightly lazy werewolf in another game) then fine. I'm a despair who mistyped "ViviOggi" into ctrl-f. I'm a despair who secretly "fished for roles". I'm a despair who targeted the only currently known power role for eviction, while at the time, being under suspicion by others.

Perhaps I'm a despair who is purposely looking incompetent. People can say "hey that person is acting incompetent, he can't possibly be despair!".

Anyways, I understand the blood god's need for blood. If you think I'm an incompetent despair who made some ill advised moves without even discussing it with the other despairs, then quench your blood thirst. If you think I'm purposely acting incompetent in order to avoid suspicion, quench your blood thirst. I can freely say this because because even in death, I will help lead this school to victory...or defeat, hopefully victory.
I don't really have a choice at this point.

VOTE: kingkitty
That nulls one vote for swamped.

That's not a hard vote right now though. Crab, you look pretty aggressive, your posts feel like you're trying to manipulate the mob into being flustered, knowing people will make worse decisions if they have too many threads to follow, too many posters to think about. You confirmed that for me here:
It was interesting and I have ideas about it, but right now we're not really looking for a 100% confirmed no alternatives honest-to-goodness prime rump mafia; it's only day one. I'm much more concerned with making sure we have as wide a spread of information on as many different players as possible to serve for future days, so I'm going to be focusing heavily on players that aren't volunteering information.
You also deflect from kingkitty when you're questioned about your relative reticence in discussing his odd posts. You then deflected from him again without any prompting. My suspicions are high for both of you now. You're kicking up too much dust.

With that said, this feels ironic:
Don't look for mafia teams yet. The odds you're correct about any one person being mafia are slim enough, let alone that you'd be right on three. We can look for evidence of mafia working together when we actually have evidence of mafia.

franconp

I'm taking my time to read through the posts to take notes. Lynching day one is tough so I want to feel confident in my choice.

Not only voting is important but it's also participating in the game and sharing your thoughts, waiting to the last moment to participe it's no good. Something like Pau's post it's what I'm looking for.

Franconp is my second. He sits in the middle of the post count list but going back and reading everything he has said so far they are either A) side comments and fluff or b) repeats of info and 'me too!' posts about votes and suspicions. I'm not saying Mafia but the lack of commitment and willingness to wait on the sidelines is incredibly passive and can be an easy tactic to hide behind.

What I have been doing so far it's trying to force people to discuss as that's the best way to find Despair players. That's why I called on the people who haven't voted yet and been calling out the less participant players.

If you want my opinions of the game so far: I don't think that neither Kingkitty or goshujinsama are Despair. Why?

-Kingkitty it's a weird player, he played the AC game the same way, he seemed scummy but he ended being town, so I'm going to give him a little leverage and wait a bit before acussing him.

-goshujinsama made a mistake and roleclaimed (or maybe he just made a great move, we don't know), but if it's really a mistake it can only be make by a Hope player, as if he were Despair he didn't need to ask here and he could have made the question in their private chat. I don't think it's a good idea to vote him out this phase.

-makai I don't know, he is at the top of my scummy list but I still have a lot of doubts of him. If i'm forced to vote right now I would go for him.

Rest

I've been reading through some posts and Rest stands out to me a lot. They haven't posted a lot and when they do, only 1 of their 4 posts was about their theorys. When they vote for Swamped they give the reason as them being too active after talking about activity being good. These aren't really good reasons as theres not a lot to work with but they stood out.

Vote: Rest
Regarding my vote for swamped, as I stated, her posting habits did fit in with the logic I saw of making sure people know who you are by posting. I felt that she was suspicious because it seemed like she took it too far; she seemed to be engaging with almost every major poster directly, which somehow stands out to me.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Not only voting is important but it's also participating in the game and sharing your thoughts, waiting to the last moment to participe it's no good. Something like Pau's post it's what I'm looking for.
I'm not trying to wait until the last moment, there's just a lot to think about. Also I've never played before lol

Francorp,

I agree with your assessment of goshujinsama, I think that's just new player jitters. Hopefully he can use his ability on himself and switch with someone else to save himself tonight.

It's hard to separate character actions per game against our opinions of people from previous mafia games. I know it heavily influenced one of my main assumptions in a previous game. I was right, but it could have been just as possible that the previous player had an awesome positive role.

I'm going to switch my vote, just because I can. I didn't like the most recent a human becoming post on taking his time, subscribe to the thread and post, even if you aren't ready to vote... that kind of post just screamed "I'm scum don't vote for me but I'm trying to delay/sway the game"

vote:A Human Becoming

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Francorp,

I agree with your assessment of goshujinsama, I think that's just new player jitters. Hopefully he can use his ability on himself and switch with someone else to save himself tonight.

It's hard to separate character actions per game against our opinions of people from previous mafia games. I know it heavily influenced one of my main assumptions in a previous game. I was right, but it could have been just as possible that the previous player had an awesome positive role.

I'm going to switch my vote, just because I can. I didn't like the most recent a human becoming post on taking his time, subscribe to the thread and post, even if you aren't ready to vote... that kind of post just screamed "I'm scum don't vote for me but I'm trying to delay/sway the game"

vote:A Human Becoming
I take time analyzing, but since I keep being called out for not speaking out enough I'll at least share who my biggest suspicion is at the moment.

CzarTim on multiple occasions has one or two sentence posts to lynch AbsolutBro, simply to kill someone. He seems too hellbent on it for my liking, but I'm not sure yet if I will vote for him.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I realize he changed his vote, but him claiming *Splinter just had "newbie jitters" early on seemed like he was trying to cover a fellow mafia person.

Regarding my vote for swamped, as I stated, her posting habits did fit in with the logic I saw of making sure people know who you are by posting. I felt that she was suspicious because it seemed like she took it too far; she seemed to be engaging with almost every major poster directly, which somehow stands out to me.

So you believe swamped is trying to play a False Hope leader game?

Time Remaining in the Day Phase:
t1438815600z4.png

Time Remaining in the Day Phase:
t1438815600z4.png

Current votes
(12 votes needed for majority):
Names with a strike voted, and then unvoted.

AbsolutBro (0)
swamped
Terrabyte20xx
CornBurrito
*Splinter
ViviOggi

*Splinter (0)
kgtrep

kgtrep (0)
*Splinter

A Human Becoming (2)
Crab
*Splinter
Zippedpinhead

ANuclearError (1)
franconp

CornBurrito (0)
CzarTim
Kalor

goshujinsama (0)
kingkitty
Terrabyte20xx
swamped
kingkitty

SalvaPot (0)
Kalor
Pau

ViviOggi ()
BarryLocke
kingkitty

Sawneeks (2)
swamped
kgtrep
swamped

swamped (0)
goshujinsama
Rest

Rest (1)
Sawneeks
Kalor

Makai (3)
Crab
CzarTim
Zippedpinhead
Pau

kingkitty (4)
AbsolutBro
CzarTim
CornBurrito
ViviOggi
Rest

Hagi (1)
Sawneeks

Barrylocke (1)
Terrabyte20xx

No Punishment (2)
Makai
SalvaPot

Just a reminder, we are playing with a plurality - meaning if one decision has more votes than any other at the end of the Day Phase, that is the decision that goes into effect.

Also, let me know if I made a mistake. It's a little tricky keeping track of votes.
Just a reminder, we are playing with a plurality - meaning if one decision has more votes than any other at the end of the Day Phase, that is the decision that goes into effect.

Also, let me know if I made a mistake. It's a little tricky keeping track of votes.

Rest

So you believe swamped is trying to play a False Hope leader game?
Exactly that. She's toned it down since then, and others have now made themselves look worse, so I'm not too worried about her right now. I'll still be keeping an eye out, but then again I'm watching everyone.

CzarTim

CzarTim on multiple occasions has one or two sentence posts to lynch AbsolutBro, simply to kill someone. He seems too hellbent on it for my liking, but I'm not sure yet if I will vote for him.

AB and I have a history. I was 100% joking and notice I never actually voted for him.

Pau

If we're gonna call out people who have been quiet, and then call them out for not having a vote ready but still answering... I dunno. Do we just want to get rid of people who aren't as quick?

Crap, that's word for word what I said. I'll be more careful not to give people excuses.
I used your wording because it's true. :/ If y'all don't believe me, you're all welcome to read my groundbreaking and extremely interesting research on subnational variation in central and local state capacity in Colombia.

*Splinter

I used your wording because it's true. :/ If y'all don't believe me, you're all welcome to read my groundbreaking and extremely interesting research on subnational variation in central and local state capacity in Colombia.
I don't particularly suspect you at the moment, it was more of a general reminder not to provide excuses. There was no real need for me to post that before your reply.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That's not a hard vote right now though. Crab, you look pretty aggressive, your posts feel like you're trying to manipulate the mob into being flustered, knowing people will make worse decisions if they have too many threads to follow, too many posters to think about. You confirmed that for me here:

You also deflect from kingkitty when you're questioned about your relative reticence in discussing his odd posts. You then deflected from him again without any prompting. My suspicions are high for both of you now. You're kicking up too much dust.

Excellent, good. So, questions: what do you expect to gain from discussing kingkitty's situation now, as opposed to in two days? Conversely, do you think there's anything we might lose?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but it's not really any different from listing a few candidates for our first vote. And if it turns out I had been right, that sure would be something.

It depends on your logic line. If your logic goes "x, y, and z seem scummy independently of each other, but all the scum are on a team, therefore they must be a team", that's... fine, although probably inaccurate and you'd be better off focusing on x, y or z rather than all three. If your logic goes "x seems scummy, and x is associated with y and z, therefore they are scummy", then you have a problem - you're relatively unlikely to be right about x at this stage, which means you end up chasing shadows when you're looking at y and z.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Will AbsolutBro and

VOTE:Barrylocke

Please report to the thread?

Wonder what he's been up to... Kinda quiet actually.

I am also concerned about this; they are much too good to be this quiet.

It's over half a day late thanks to work being busier that I expected and unexpectedly hanging out with a friend, but here's some thoughts I've had on recent going ons. It's roughly in most suspicious to least, and it's only the people I've been eyeing in a short period of time.

kgtrep: His volatility in targets on this first day seems like someone bouncing around trying to light fires under butts or shaking coconut trees to see what falls down. As a townie voter, I think I'd see him as townie just for sticking his neck out there so much on day one.

Swamped: The initial starting us off out of the gate seems pretty eager to get discussion rolling. But after that she does seem a bit quieter. I suppose it's only been a day, mind you, but I hope she'll continue to contribute

Kingkitty: Frankly silly ideas, too silly to be even suggested by mafia, imo. (But Barrylocke maybe that's what they WANT you to think)

Terrabyte: not saying much, but is asking that talk stays to the game at hand. Is confused about kingkitty's plays, but recognizes that it's too out there to immediately call mafia.

CornBurrito Initially against lynching. Believes in Swamped because of her activeness. He calls out goshujin for seemingly revealing their role, and then hints at a role for . A few ideas run into mind with this, but with it being his first game, I think its easy and sensible to chalk it up to eager first time plays.

ViviOggi: Still only hanging around, only pointed out the most surface level idea. Could be mafia trying to not rock a boat, or could just be trying to find something to stand behind (this is the most obvious antitown moment after all.

Those are just names that have jumped out at me and I wanted to have enough to make a post, as I'll be busy again this evening. Based on these guys at least it's enough for me to keep my vote on ViviOggi as a "Most suspicious", but I need to look through the rest so think of this vote as pretty tentative.

Rest

Excellent, good. So, questions: what do you expect to gain from discussing kingkitty's situation now, as opposed to in two days? Conversely, do you think there's anything we might lose?
Right now, we can only roll the dice. We have nothing to gain that we won't later, our potential gain being a Mafiosi kill. We have nothing to lose except an extra Town member, but this early in the game that's a risk we have to take.

Rest

You want to discuss my posts now, you've always had much to say Crab. Yet even now you won't talk about kingkitty. Why?

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
You want to discuss my posts now, you've always had much to say Crab. Yet even now you won't talk about kingkitty. Why?
I'm not Crab, nor will I speak for him, But I would like to hazard a guess as to why:

Because all that can be said of kingkitty at this moment has already been said. His either a despair who sucks at defending himself or a hope player who made a terrible gambit. A good chunk of us lean towards the latter, especially as his reaction's pattern is remarkably similar to the mis-lynchea that happened in Star Wars early on.

As such, we are going to wait on him for a bit. Tunneling in on him will get us no where, and only serves to hide Despair. If he slips we with catch him, but as of right now, nothing will be gained if we continue to press the issue.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Right now, we can only roll the dice. We have nothing to gain that we won't later, our potential gain being a Mafiosi kill. We have nothing to lose except an extra Town member, but this early in the game that's a risk we have to take.

Wrong. What we have to lose is more information on an extra four or five people that's being wasted covering exhausted ground. What happens when we lynch kingkitty, and you spent four days entirely focused on him, and he's Hope? You put all your informational eggs in one basket and then you have no leads. That's a risk that we definitely, definitely, do not have to take.

Day one is not about lynching the mafia. There are twenty-three of us and likely four or five mafia, our odds are not good to say the least. Day one is about setting up the conditions that allow us to lynch mafia later. That means making sure that everyone actually contributes something. For example, take Barrylocke's post just above. That is exactly what I want to see from everyone.

This is boring. I already talked about kingkitty when asked by CzarTim in post #540, and I explained why I don't want to focus on him in both prior replies to you and, before you even brought the subject up, in replies to *Splinter in #576 - which you actually quoted, so you're clearly aware of it. My answers remain the same as they did then; so I fairly clearly have talked about it.

By asking me this question, you are asking something to which you should already know the answer if you've been following the game, and therefore doing exactly what I was worried about in that you're getting so focused on one issue you'd prefer to retread old ground rather than actually, you know, find scum.

So, my turn for a question: what were you expecting to gain by asking me this?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
And Makai is still absent and not answering my questions.
mystery.gif

I hate pointing this out, but I think that you've pretty much given away that you have whatever power you're trying to figure out. It would have been much better to just PM the person who wrote the roles and is running the game than to out yourself in this thread.

I sincerely hope you aren't Hope aligned because then we've just lost an ally with a very useful ability.

Now I am newish to Mafia. If I am correct and goshujin has the Switcher power, is that power typically held by Town or Mafia? Because we really shouldn't vote for goshujin if he is more likely to be Hope aligned based on his power.

Yeah, I probably made a newbie mistake. My bad. But I've learned now not to open my mouth too easily. So all I want to say at this stage is that it may not be that big of a mistake. Hopefully.

I should have PM the game runner, although in this case it would not have made a difference.

Goddamit Launchpad the last time I read the thread you said the game was starting on Monday, so I decided to skip on all the fluff and the blarg spam and I decide to check now and everyone is going crazy with accusations and I missed my chance to make a joke about voting you first. Lovely.

Anyway, I am strongly Pro-No lynch on the first day, people who know me from the Animal Crossing game knows why, I believe there has to be an investigative role between hope and our chances of finding a despair player this early on the game is low low low, as low as Yamcha´s Ki. If we get a Hope aligned character on Day 1 and Dispair gets another one on Night 1, that is 2 members less that could have been useful to us.

Yes, information is nice and we totally should get a discussion going, and threatening others players is a nice way of doing it, but lets not get carried away with the bandwagons. Most roles need at least 1 day to lend some results, I am sure launchpad won´t resist adding all kinds of fun silly roles that can give Hope a fighting chance, so as always, I think patience is a virtue in mafia as much as information.

Vote: No Punishment.

Oh, and I realize I got two votes on me already, but I am not too worried about them since they are done because of my inactivity, don´t worry about, from now on I won´t shut up =P.

And if a lynch tonight is imminent, I feel like swamped and Terrabyte20xx are my first suspects for despair, I find swamped attitude in the game incredibly forced, like she is trying to hard to play as a leader for hope while getting people against each other to generate confusion, maybe she is with good intentions but I am watching you, any slip and I´ll notice.

About Terra, as cornburrito said I find it extremely suspicious how he acted about goshujinsama, seemed like a reaction vote to me. Oh, and for the record, I don´t goshujinsama is a swapper, if anything I think his question was properly formatted, he knew that his question could be answered by checking online but still decided to ask here, instead of, say, sending our moderator a pm. I find that weird. What are you up to, goshujin?

It was actually near impossible to find info on that Mafia wiki page with regards to power role precedences. I had to google elsewhere and there was a lot of conflicting information about the hierarchy sequence of power roles.

But I think we should stop discussing PR for the time being. I'm inclined to agree with CzarTim. He seems to understand the game well and Day 1 discussions should not have hinged on PRs.

So far, some of you start to appear more Hope to me than others. Namely: CzarTim, swamped, Crab.

I do no like the No Punishment stance, personally, but I'm new to the game so I will not hold that against the No Punishment voters for the time being.

I haven't finished catching up with the thread. Will post more soon.

Rest

Wrong. What we have to lose is more information on an extra four or five people that's being wasted covering exhausted ground. What happens when we lynch kingkitty, and you spent four days entirely focused on him, and he's Hope? You put all your informational eggs in one basket and then you have no leads. That's a risk that we definitely, definitely, do not have to take.

Day one is not about lynching the mafia. There are twenty-three of us and likely four or five mafia, our odds are not good to say the least. Day one is about setting up the conditions that allow us to lynch mafia later. That means making sure that everyone actually contributes something. For example, take Barrylocke's post just above. That is exactly what I want to see from everyone.

This is boring. I already talked about kingkitty when asked by CzarTim in post #540, and I explained why I don't want to focus on him in both prior replies to you and, before you even brought the subject up, in replies to *Splinter in #576 - which you actually quoted, so you're clearly aware of it. My answers remain the same as they did then; so I fairly clearly have talked about it.

By asking me this question, you are asking something to which you should already know the answer if you've been following the game, and therefore doing exactly what I was worried about in that you're getting so focused on one issue you'd prefer to retread old ground rather than actually, you know, find scum.

So, my turn for a question: what were you expecting to gain by asking me this?
I was expecting nothing, but I was hoping you might give the matter a little more thought, maybe look at it from a different perspective, and give us your updated insight.

I still feel that everything you've said about kingkitty is a deflection, any time you've mentioned him you've said something that could potentially benefit him, like you've tried to make him look better. Even in post 528 it seems like you ended by trying to smooth things over for him.

What bothers me is the consistency with which you've tried to diminish the impact of his posts. If it had just been 528 it would have been nothing, just an opinion, but you have continued. Until pushed, you've demurred to discuss him directly and tried to dismiss what he has been saying, encouraging people to talk about the possibilities of others, and it seems coming just shy of discouraging a lynching of kingkitty.

I will agree with you that kingkitty seems like he's flailing, but it seems to me like he's flailing as a nervous mafioso. You say you're bored by this line of discussion, and in truth I would probably just have let my vote stand without much more commentary, except that you seem to resist the idea that we should even talk about kingkitty:
What happens when we lynch kingkitty, and you spent four days entirely focused on him, and he's Hope?
You seem to want to do nothing but instill doubt that he is part of the mafia. For all your talk of exploring options and discussing people, it seems that you have quite an interest in us not discussing one particular player. Why should you have such an interest so early in the game?

Kalor

I was looking through the current vote count and noticed that SalvaPot had voted no punishment as well. Their reasoning is valid but it stuck out to me that people have talked more about Makais vote than SalvaPot. Of course Makai has done more to garner the attention of everyone else but some attention should be brought to SalvaPot for it even if it is a brief adknowledgement.

Rest

It seems that our posts are on average longer than what I'm seeing in the other games, are we a more verbose than the average group?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I was expecting nothing, but I was hoping you might give the matter a little more thought, maybe look at it from a different perspective, and give us your updated insight.

I still feel that everything you've said about kingkitty is a deflection, any time you've mentioned him you've said something that could potentially benefit him, like you've tried to make him look better. Even in post 528 it seems like you ended by trying to smooth things over for him.

What bothers me is the consistency with which you've tried to diminish the impact of his posts. If it had just been 528 it would have been nothing, just an opinion, but you have continued. Until pushed, you've demurred to discuss him directly and tried to dismiss what he has been saying, encouraging people to talk about the possibilities of others, and it seems coming just shy of discouraging a lynching of kingkitty.

I will agree with you that kingkitty seems like he's flailing, but it seems to me like he's flailing as a nervous mafioso. You say you're bored by this line of discussion, and in truth I would probably just have let my vote stand without much more commentary, except that you seem to resist the idea that we should even talk about kingkitty:
You seem to want to do nothing but instill doubt that he is part of the mafia. For all your talk of exploring options and discussing people, it seems that you have quite an interest in us not discussing one particular player. Why should you have such an interest so early in the game?

This post is a really, really long way to type "why don't you agree with me, Crab?". Okay, different perspective, kingkitty is Despair. He threw out a dodgy vote, and got called on it. Everyone started dogpiling him. Noticing this, he then decided to... vote for the person who had almost certainly accidentally revealed themselves as a town PR. Hmm, yes, that's certainly consistent with mafia play, what with the whole "fitting in" and "unobtrusive" elements. Indeed, you're clearly onto something here. And, I, a clear Despair player, on noticing my team mate in trouble, immediately decided to rush to his aid, given how unimportant it is that mafia players remain distant from one another, especially considering this is the first day and therefore the most important one for mafia. The sarcasm could go on.

I'm not against talking about kingkitty. I'm againt repeating stuff we've already covered. The paragraph directly above this one is repetition of stuff I've already posted. That's a waste of my time, your time, Hope's time, and makes things more difficult when we have to go back and read all this. If you actually have new questions to ask what I think about kingkitty, please do so, otherwise I have run out of the patience to talk about this.

Rest

This post is a really, really long way to type "why don't you agree with me, Crab?". Okay, different perspective, kingkitty is Despair. He threw out a dodgy vote, and got called on it. Everyone started dogpiling him. Noticing this, he then decided to... vote for the person who had almost certainly accidentally revealed themselves as a town PR. Hmm, yes, that's certainly consistent with mafia play, what with the whole "fitting in" and "unobtrusive" elements. Indeed, you're clearly onto something here. And, I, a clear Despair player, on noticing my team mate in trouble, immediately decided to rush to his aid, given how unimportant it is that mafia players remain distant from one another, especially considering this is the first day and therefore the most important one for mafia. The sarcasm could go on.

I'm not against talking about kingkitty. I'm againt repeating stuff we've already covered. The paragraph directly above this one is repetition of stuff I've already posted. That's a waste of my time, your time, Hope's time, and makes things more difficult when we have to go back and read all this. If you actually have new questions to ask what I think about kingkitty, please do so, otherwise I have run out of the patience to talk about this.

Alright then, if you don't want to talk about it then I'll limit my discussion. Your dismissive bent has been noted, however.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Alright then, if you don't want to talk about it then I'll limit my discussion. Your dismissive bent has been noted, however.

No, don't weasel out of that. I've said I'm willing to talk if you have new questions. That's not "I don't want to talk". You are effectively admitting that you don't have any good questions and have been wasting Hope time, but are trying to pass the buck off on me. That's bad play right there. I don't think you're Despair simply because if I were Despair I'd be wary of leaning so hard on an experienced player so early on, but I do think you're barking up the wrong tree, repeatedly, and lacking in the common sense to pursue other avenues when it becomes clear this one is exhausted.

kgtrep

It's over half a day late thanks to work being busier that I expected and unexpectedly hanging out with a friend, but here's some thoughts I've had on recent going ons. It's roughly in most suspicious to least, and it's only the people I've been eyeing in a short period of time.

kgtrep: His volatility in targets on this first day seems like someone bouncing around trying to light fires under butts or shaking coconut trees to see what falls down. As a townie voter, I think I'd see him as townie just for sticking his neck out there so much on day one.

Just the mafia's butts, heh. (I've never heard of that expression before.)

I questioned the alliance of *Splinter, Hagi, and Sawneeks, so that we will have information about them on Day 2 should we lynch someone else today.

*Splinter, Hagi, and Sawneeks, I do follow what the rest of us are saying about each other, so I'm not trying to be intentionally mean to you guys.

(I'm catching up with my friend tonight, so I'll check in 4, 5 hours later.)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking through the current vote count and noticed that SalvaPot had voted no punishment as well. Their reasoning is valid but it stuck out to me that people have talked more about Makais vote than SalvaPot. Of course Makai has done more to garner the attention of everyone else but some attention should be brought to SalvaPot for it even if it is a brief adknowledgement.

Yes, I agree. Ideally, I would have been able to move on from Makai aaaages ago, by him actually providing some sort of response. I don't want to have to be stuck with my vote here when I could be using it to pressure people like SalvaPot, but given Makai hasn't responded I don't really have much choice. I'm not letting him get away without comment. That said, even if I'm not going to use a vote, I do not like particularly favourably upon SalvaPot at the moment and would also like to see some contribution from him.

*Splinter

Just the mafia's butts, heh. (I've never heard of that expression before.)

I questioned the alliance of *Splinter, Hagi, and Sawneeks, so that we will have information about them on Day 2 should we lynch someone else today.

*Splinter, Hagi, and Sawneeks, I do follow what the rest of us are saying about each other, so I'm not trying to be intentionally mean to you guys.

(I'm catching up with my friend tonight, so I'll check in 4, 5 hours later.)
I'm not taking it personally :p
I admit I was a bit shocked by your initial vote but people have been a lot less cautious with their voting here than in game 1. I think I've been getting a better feel for the game since then.

Makai

#457 is exactly the post I find particularly scummy. This is not a game about PRs. The purest form of this game doesn't have PRs at all. This is about understanding people and reading emotions and looking for tells. We get all of those as a result of people putting forward concrete statements. "I am going to wait until someone tells me what to do", which is effectively what #457 says, tells us nothing.

Look at it this way. Option 1: he is Hope. He is now a free kill. If Despair kill him, what did we learn from his death? What were Despair trying to hide from us, keep from being exposed, what opinions are they afraid of? We don't know, because he didn't commit to any statements or make judgements about any others. Despair therefore have a free target they can kill that doesn't give Hope anything more to work with.

Option 2: he is Despair. We have nothing to pin him down with. When we find other Despair players later in the game, and are looking for links or shared logic or particular voting patterns or any of the other numerous tells that reveal mafia, we will find nothing (or at least, much less) from Makai because he's not willing to commit to what can be the most dangerous stage for Despair players - the early game, when it is unclear who the future threats will be and which players will need to be sucked up to.

No Punishment is either a) very bad town play, or b) indicative of Despair. It becomes even worse in either a) or b) at the point that someone is voting No Punishment not because they don't suspect anyone, but because they (apparently) have no suspicions at all.

We now have a number of posts from a number of players which should give at least enough information to argue that, even if it is not probable any given player is Despair, some of them are at least more probable than others. I want to hear those arguments. All I hear from Makai is fluff and vacuities.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164624469&postcount=781

Here's the Day 1 vote count for Star Wars (hey, you tallied it!). Notice anything interesting? Makai, OceanicAir, and raindoc were main Hutts. Makai and raindoc ended the day with votes of No Punishment. OceanicAir didn't vote. Seems like a pattern to me - good thing nobody noticed. I remember CzarTim claiming to have made the connection, but I don't think you can call yourself Cassandra while pointing at everyone else in the room.

Hagi

Right I'm just home from a ten hour shift so it's going to take me a minute to go over what everyone has been saying. Sorry i haven't been able to post as much as the rest of you I wasn't really intending on doing overtime this week.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Here's the Day 1 vote count for Star Wars (hey, you tallied it!). Notice anything interesting? Makai, OceanicAir, and raindoc were main Hutts. Makai and raindoc ended the day with votes of No Punishment. OceanicAir didn't vote. Seems like a pattern to me - good thing nobody noticed. I remember CzarTim claiming to have made the connection, but I don't think you can call yourself Cassandra while pointing at everyone else in the room.

So, firstly, you've identified a set of actions in a prior game that were strongly correlated with being mafia, and you're now performing that set of actions. How does that make you look?

Secondly, you are ignoring, and have continually ignored, my main challenge for you: who do you suspect? Gives me names and reasons.

Rest

No, don't weasel out of that. I've said I'm willing to talk if you have new questions. That's not "I don't want to talk". You are effectively admitting that you don't have any good questions and have been wasting Hope time, but are trying to pass the buck off on me. That's bad play right there. I don't think you're Despair simply because if I were Despair I'd be wary of leaning so hard on an experienced player so early on, but I do think you're barking up the wrong tree, repeatedly, and lacking in the common sense to pursue other avenues when it becomes clear this one is exhausted.

What questions do you want me to ask? I don't have any that I need to ask, as far as I can see. I cast a vote, and in explaining why mentioned a pattern that I saw in your behavior. You haven't addressed what I'm mentioned by the way, you've been more preoccupied with being dismissive and, dare I say, snarky towards me. Maybe you don't like being called out, I get that, but not liking what I say isn't a reason to try and discount what I've said out of hand.

franconp

Are you a jester? That's the only explanation I can find for this post. Maybe you should explain a little more what you mean.

Hagi

Vote: Hagi

I want to hear some thoughts on the situation. What do you think of Goshu? Kitty's weird ready-to-die attitude? Speak up!

Okay here goes this is a lot more intense than I thought it would be.

From what I've gleamed from the last few pages Goshu seems to have inadvertently revealed his role as the switcher which could be true and he's a bit silly or it's a ploy to keep him safe from lynching. Either way I'm not wholly confidant on voting for him on day 1 but his post has definitely raised my suspicions.

As for kingkitty his reasoning for voting for Goshu really threw me for a loop and his defense wasn't that great to be honest. I'm new to mafia but I don't think voting for potential power roles is a good idea. We're really shooting in the dark here so aiming for someone who is seemingly more likely to be Hope than anyone else is a bit bizarre especially on day 1 where the likelihood of us lynching Hope is high anyway.

So for that reason I'm going to

Vote : kingkitty

As for anyone else I'm suspicious that probably would be Salva because of the no vote but there seems to be some precedence for it based on previous games.

Sorry I can't go write as much in-depth as some of the rest of you but there's my thoughts anyway.

Makai

So, firstly, you've identified a set of actions in a prior game that were strongly correlated with being mafia, and you're now performing that set of actions. How does that make you look?

Secondly, you are ignoring, and have continually ignored, my main challenge for you: who do you suspect? Gives me names and reasons.
I'm refuting your main point - voting No Punishment is a cop out because Mafia have anything pinned on them. Well, there you go. The clearest voting pattern of last game was No Punishment. So drop it. No Punishment is a legitimate vote and I'm sticking to it until we get some actual info. Tomorrow . We will know nothing until tomorrow. I really don't like aggressive play. You're scaring people into voting your way and defending themselves over nonsense. Unfortunately, a lot of new players are falling for it. But I recognize that these are just your personalities and not a Mafia tell.

Day 1 No Lynch has actually had a fabulous track record in the three mafia games we've had on GAF. Two towns voted Day 1 No Lynch and won. One town voted Day 1 Lynch, killed a major power role, and lost. The argument for Day 1 Lynch supposes that we are all generic town and mafia with no special abilities. You cannot calculate the effectiveness of this strategy when the number and types of power roles are unknown.

PSA for newbies: The rules are different each game so there is no meta. Veterans do not know better than you. Launchpad is very clearly subverting some of the traditional tropes. At the very least, the special rules point to power roles. Voting out somebody over nonsense is foolhardy when they could be an essential power role. Play it safe on day 1. Information will flow tomorrow.

As far as my discussion of the source material...

NoFun.png

Anyway, I just finished Chapter 1. Totally called that
Sayaka wanted to murder me
. Mean/Mean difficulty is fine.

SalvaPot

Makai keeps on bringing previous games when that really have nothing to do with this current game, patterns are really not a thing with just one or 2 games as it is, and also this early on the game I am sure there is no real pressure since we have nothing to go for.

The importance of this first day is that, later on, people are going to start contradicting themselves, so pay attention to that so we can sniff out the despair players.

And I just want to make sure that I still find swamped suspicious, she seems to tone down her strategy instead of defending it, as if we caught her and decided to ly down for a bit.

Maybe I am reading to much into it, but she is my prime suspect, all the others seem to be making unremarkable mistakes so far and I do see others that might be acting weird, but nothing too dramatic.

Makai

Makai keeps on bringing previous games when that really have nothing to do with this current game, patterns are really not a thing with just one or 2 games as it is, and also this early on the game I am sure there is no real pressure since we have nothing to go for.

The importance of this first day is that, later on, people are going to start contradicting themselves, so pay attention to that so we can sniff out the despair players.

And I just want to make sure that I still find swamped suspicious, she seems to tone down her strategy instead of defending it, as if we caught her and decided to ly down for a bit.

Maybe I am reading to much into it, but she is my prime suspect, all the others seem to be making unremarkable mistakes so far and I do see others that might be acting weird, but nothing too dramatic.
I am using example to illustrate that some of the hard claims made about what constitutes "pro-town" are fallacious.

Top Bottom