• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Time Voxel GI demo (Cryengine)

Thought GAF would be interested in this: Sponsa with realtime GI by Crydev community member Synce!
Link to Crydev forum download
Video Link

screenshot0000,xlarge.1439807640.jpg

screenshot0001,xlarge.1439807642.jpg

Author's notes:
The current version of the demo is 0.4 and use the 3.8.2 version of the CryEngine.

How to use:
-Extract the .rar
-Go into the Bin64 folder and launch Sponza.exe
-Enjoy the visit
-Press TAB for more options
If it is the first time you use Cryengine, make sure you installed the redistributable package and DirectX : http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... +CRYENGINE

Controls:
[1] GI is disabled
[2] Full GI mode, 2 bounces, diffuse and specular.
[Right clic] and [Left clic] to change the time of day
[Middle clic] Reset the time of day to 11.30
[E] Lighting mode (replace albedo with white)
Hide/Unhide options

This archive contains:
- an executable demo
-.dds textures
-.cgf files
-.mtl materials
-.cry level
- a cubemap texture
- informations.txt

The purpose of this small demo is to show the SVOTI feature of the CRYENGINE. Keep in mind that it is an early version of the system.
SVOTI means Sparse Voxel Octree Total Illumination. This system can achieve high quality global illumination in real time. Nothing is baked. In this demo you can change the time of day, and look how the light reacts.

Credits:
The original Sponza model was created by Marko Dabrovic
The improved model created by Frank Meinl (digitalwerk.blogspot.fr)
Realisation of the demo by Simon Majar (simonmajar.com)
Special thanks to Vladimir Kajalin

About the Sponza Palace: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponza_Palace
Download the original files: http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3/downloads
Enjoy!

lazygecko

So... what does this mean? The title says voxel, but the demonstration is focused on lighting. I assume that it's not that the whole environment is built out of voxels, but rather some type of voxel lighting or something?

WGMBY

Wow, that's some nice illumination. Crazy that it's real time. I especially liked the soft reflections on the ground behind the drapes, looks great.

eso76

So... what does this mean? The title says voxel, but the demonstration is focused on lighting. I assume that it's not that the whole environment is built out of voxels, but rather some type of voxel lighting or something?

This.
SVOGI

Global illumination using voxel cone tracing.

kanuuna

No way to tinker with the exposure on this demo, is there?
Looks amazing but obviously doesn't really run all that well on my single GTX 980 at the native 3440x1440.

ElFly

It ain't destructible terrain.

bee

nice demo but a bit buggy still, on a titan x i get -

1920x1080 - 60fps (10-20% gpu left)
2560x1600 - 35-40fps
3840x2160 - 18-20fps

looks really really nice, love the look of how the light creeps into the scene over time

Pretty awesome to see how damn high quality the Indirect / Direct Specular Reflection is. It also blends incredibly well with SSR.

Just look at the "little" difference with SSR on. It is damn incredible for being real time. (I recommend flipping back and forth between them in tabs)

Without SSR
_sponza_2015_08_18_1590sx9.png

With SSR
_sponza_2015_08_18_15jgsv4.png

low-G

Now that I've built my new PC I finally got around to trying out this demo. Very nice, IMO. Smooth but I can tell how GPU limited I am even on a GTX970. I can see why maybe this tech needed to be held off from for a few years. But, it'd be nice to have voxel GI as an option in upcoming PC games, especially when another generation or two of video cards have come out.

Looks amazing.
I hope this shows up in games in another 2-3 gpu generations.

I remember the simpler inferior gi demo from a few years ago running like crap (like 20 fps) on my old hd6870 so we've already come a long way.

Light bounce calculations are carried out in a simplified voxel representation of the game world.

The Tomorrow Children is using a comparable approach, and they made a very detailed presentation about it:
http://fumufumu.q-games.com/archives/TheTechnologyOfTomorrowsChildrenFinal.pdf

The voxels in this are much smaller (and this traces through the voxels for indirect specular) which I think the Tomorrow Children engine does not do (as of that PDF).

But yeah, they are pretty similar.

The demo was upgraded to the latest Cryengine version and supports better indirect shadowing along with a new performance mode which maintains most of the visual quality but cuts render time in half.
Download link by clicking on the image below

viveks86

The demo was upgraded to the latest Cryengine version and supports better indirect shadowing along with a new performance mode which maintains most of the visual quality but cuts render time in half.
Download link by clicking on the image below

Interesting. Any on-off comparison for the performance mode?

bee

those lower quality modes certainly give a nice performance gain, stood in one spot looking over the balcony , the fps at 4k was

17.5 default very high
24.5 high
29.5 medium
32.5 low

you can tell the difference sure, still looks great though

viveks86

Caayn

The way objects are lit up, light bleeding through the curtains and the reflections look amazing.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW :O

Made a comparison:

2 things that stand out because of this demo:
1. the specular reflection from ultra or high level SVOGI is really high quality even without SSR.
2. Even on low it looks pretty fantastic

KKRT00

2 things that stand out because of this demo:
1. the specular reflection from ultra or high level SVOGI is really high quality even without SSR.
2. Even on low it looks pretty fantastic

Yeah and the difference in performance is big too, 35fps vs 82fps :p

Yeah and the difference in performance is big too, 35fps vs 82fps :p

Only problem is how the specular is blended with normals currently, so you see banding and upscaling in lower modes: but a little bird told me that the next releases will fix that.

Top Bottom