• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards Season 4 |OT| Anything for America. Netflix March 4th

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
KLy1VPy.jpg

A ruthless politician will stop at nothing to conquer Washington, D.C., in this Emmy and Golden Globe-winning political drama.

Release: Season 4 will be released on Super Friday (March 4th).

Spoilers: Spoilers, spoilers everywhere.

Links:

Netflix page.
Trailer.
Portrait Unveiling clip.

Reviews:

AV Club:

That said, there are some real risks taken this season, both stylistically, and in terms of plot. Did showrunner Beau Willimon decide to go out with a bang? Without getting into too much detail, a big event a few episodes in completely shifts the show on its axis in unprecedented fashion. Whether it ends up giving the series somewhere new to go isn’t clear in the six episodes screened for critics, but it’s nice to see House Of Cards showing some of the ambition Frank so admires.

EW:

B+ (their review seems to touch on the story a bit too much for my tastes, so I didn't read it all).

Variety:

Without giving anything away, where the show occasionally stumbles, and at times risks jumping the shark, is in its handling of politics. Yes, the Underwoods can have done all kinds of horrible stuff behind the scenes in their pursuit of power, but there are certain practical curbs on the public face politicians must project – even in this day and age – that the series periodically violates, to the point where it can temporarily burst the dramatic bubble, making viewers (at least those prone to second-guess such things) keenly aware that they’re watching a work of flamboyant fiction. Put more simply, the writing conjures drama by making these highly intelligent characters do some very dumb things.

Cast:

xqK1rsW.jpg

Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood

JowsS28.jpg

Robin Wright as Claire Underwood

wo821Vg.jpg

Michael Kelly as Doug Stamper

PnsYB0n.jpg

Mahershala Ali as Remy Danton

cgXB4el.jpg

Jayne Atkinson as Catherine Durant

X5FzOCA.jpg

Neve Campbell as Leann Harvey

cvdFBLP.jpg

Derek Cecil as Seth Grayson

MjPQUU0.jpg

Nathan Darrow as Edward Meechum

iXz98Iw.jpg

Kim Dickens as Kate Baldwin

kL6eYjG.jpg

Elizabeth Marvel as Heather Dunbar

YmQhW2S.jpg

Dominique McElligott

PwAHoqR.jpg

Molly Parker as Jackie Sharp

3cEcxcV.jpg

Paul Sparks as Thomas Yates

GyDC8pw.jpg

Ellen Burstyn as Clarie's mother

mpJtm3N.jpg

Cicely Tyson

0McvNOG.jpg

Joel Kinnaman

Promo pictures:

Kazaam

I'm ready. It's been too long. Curious to see if there will be any innuendos to the actual US presidential primaries and candidates.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kind of wish this and DD weren't both dropping in March. I wish I could pace myself, but who am I kidding.

I'll be honest. They kind of dampened my enthusiasm when they preemptively announced it was coming back for a fifth season.

Although I hope the series will be wrapped up neatly instead of milked as long as they can, I wish they had at least let us watch the fourth season without knowing whether it's the climax.

Sai-kun

Banned
More threesomes please

I'll be honest. They kind of dampened my enthusiasm when they preemptively announced it was coming back for a fifth season.

Although I hope the series will be wrapped up neatly instead of milked as long as they can, I wish they had at least let us watch the fourth season without knowing whether it's the climax.

Ugh

Really?

Syf

Banned
Give the Underwoods their edge back! I miss the cold calculation of season one. Hoping this is a return to form for the show too.

It's still an interesting enough story to have me excited af though, even if it is more of season three's style.

MattyG

Banned
I really hope they can recover after the mess that was season 3. I love 1 and 2, but 3 felt like a chore to watch and ended up being such a dud in terms of story. I don't even remember what happened beyond
Claire leaving.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't know if the show can recover from the complete and utter character assassination of Claire in season 3. From cold driven woman to a complete fucking simp. So bad.

Give the Underwoods their edge back! I miss the cold calculation of season one. Hoping this is a return to form for the show too.

It's still an interesting enough story to have me excited af though, even if it is more of season three's style.

The first episode of season 1 is among my favorite episodes of TV of all time, would be nice to see a return to form.

Is Trump going to be in this season?

I hope so.

MattyG

Banned
I don't know if the show can recover from the complete and utter character assassination of Claire in season 3. From cold driven woman to a complete fucking simp. So bad.
I really hope she ruthlessly knocks Frank down a few pegs this season. That's the only way to build her character back up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yaaay, it's almost here! I'm one of the wierdos who loved Season 3.

Yup, I'm in the minority as well. The major thing that bug me was the lack of fourth wall. It is one of the reasons I love the show. You were always in the loop and in sync on what Frank was thinking or plotting.

jsnepo

Yeah. She was someone you won't want to be a force to reckon with but in season 3, she's really different.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Never finished season 3. The last episode I remember is where Claire is sitting in a prison cell in Russia. Is it worth seeing out or can someone give me bullet points of the plot if it isn't,

I wish I could be more excited for this. I watched 4 episodes or so into season 3 and was miserable. I loved the first season and thought 2 was hit-and-miss but mostly enjoyable.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought season 3 was better than season 2, overall, though there were still quite a few missteps here and there. Hopefully season 4 will be a full on return to form.

Josh5890

I'm definitely interested to see how things turn out. I know it is going to be more campaign focused but I prefer it when they do shows around the day to day government operations.

JTripper

Molly Parker killed it as Jackie last season. I'm excited for this season since I actually really enjoyed S3. It seemed like it was significantly less well-received than the others.

Bittercup

That's disappointing to hear. I was expecting the finale.
I'm still excited. I enjoyed the 3 seasons so far. The third one was the weakest so I hope the forth will be stronger again.

Ledbetter

When this show started, I thought it was going to be like only three seasons, due to the plot nature of scaling positions (Congressman -> VP -> President). And while I can't deny I can't wait to watch season 4, it seems to me that five seasons are just too much for a plot of a show like this one. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Also, I think season 3 better than 2, mostly because the hacker and the Feng storyline were a bit boring to me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Excited, but yeah, count me among those who think this should really only have been like three seasons long, and that five (or more) seasons is just way too much. The exciting bit was his ascent, now what?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Some early reviews:

The Telegraph:

But now that departing showrunner Beau Willimon has found a way of putting Underwood on the back foot again, House of Cards has regained its mojo. Spacey twinkles with vehemence as he ratchets up his portrayal of Frank as villainous force of nature; Wright has never been better as burningly ambitious ice queen Claire, who has unearthed a useful foil in ruthless strategist Leann Harvey (played by the star of the 1996 horror classic Scream, Neve Campbell).

To that can be added a live-wire plot, with several genuine upsets and some mind-bending cameos. There is also the ongoing pleasure of House of Cards's depiction of Washington DC as Purgatory-on-the-Potomac, a transient zone of faceless glass facades and people carriers with blacked-out windows. In contrast to the real life presidential race, there is, of course, the additional comfort of knowing that, no matter how deranged the storyline, it's all just make-believe.

House of Cards was the original of the binge-watch species and fans are sure to enjoy every deliciously dark moment of what rates as a triumphant return.

Joblo:

House of Cards has begun a shift from being a show that was very different from anything else on television (DEADPOOL with politicians) to becoming an R-rated version of The West Wing. Make no mistake, the drama here is still of a high level and it is a lot of fun seeing Kevin Spacey inhabit the role of Frank Underwood so fully, but the series now seems to be cruising along rather than throwing us the curveballs that made the first two years must see television. It could be the fact that this season picks up with no time jump and gives it the feeling of being the second half of season three and therefore comes across as being less of it's own story arc. But, when you compare the political machinations on this series compared to anything on network or cable television, it still holds it's own.

What keeps House of Cards from feeling vital and immediate is the parallel of the fictional election cycle during our real life election year. With the drama surrounding Hillary Clinton versus Bernie Sanders and then everything that is Donald Trump, it may not seem quite as surreal having a candidate who schemes, murders, and back-traffics his way to the highest office in America but it still gives us a look into the skewed system that is the United States. The addition of Kinnaman to the cast gives this show an injection of younger talent while Neve Campbell is the best she has been in years. This takes some of the weight off of the other actors like the great Michael Kelly, Mahershala Ali, Elizabeth Marvel, and Molly Parker, but they all still shine.

Yeah, I'm all in for this. I had no qualms with Season 3 and really like the 'storm is brewing' vibe that they're going for here. I don't expect to see much sunlight when the new season drops. :)

Top Bottom