• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caim

Final "special mission" and true epilogue done. Way of the Strong unlocked :D.

AND FUCK YEAH, THAT EPILOGUE IS CRYING OUT FOR A SEQUEL.

Edit: Good to see Tachibana is still a pushover in NG+ since you've already learned how to beat him.

It's the
season pass content.

Man, I'm really having a hard time getting into this game. Loved it at first but haven't been able to find motivation to keep playing the past few days. Up to the water level in region 2.

I really hate the loot system. I don't feel any joy when I find an upgrade because it all feels so throwaway. I also hate that when I want to try out a new weapon (dual katana in this case), I can't just look up where to find a good one, because it's all random. I just have to grind and wait for one to drop.

Enemy variety is already getting repetitive, I feel like every level is just a different backdrop to fight bandits and red demon yokai in.
And the levels themselves all feel really linear. You just pick a mission, then fight through to the boss.

Combat as well, maybe I'm just bad at it. I just stay in low stance and run in for a couple quick hits then dodge back out and repeat. It's hard to stagger enemies so I feel there's no point ever doing anything else.

Really wish I could get into this more :\

I am at the last mission and I have unlocked more than half of the trophies without grinding (I know I have some bad grinding ones left) but how the hell will I be able to tell what bath house I have used or not?
I might have skipped one or two ive walked past.

The last mission is also amazing at farming revenants. However it still boggled my mind that people have like hundred thousands already.

I have unlocked all of the ultimate arts easily by using all weapons through out the game. The last dojo trials (outside Ninja and Omnyo) are super easy if you just use abuse space and high stance.

I enjoy a lot trying to unlock prestige points (which is like its own trophy system but more rewarding). It just discovered that it can be easy to abuse no hit runs by bringing overpowered equipment along with spirit animal while having a travel amulet ready whenever you get a hit.

Wagram

I like the increased freedom with Ninjitsu/Omnyo compared to Souls, but I have to say that from the one time I experienced Sloth in that training mission and the Ninja scroll for not dying; that's super cheese. Can't bring myself to even use those. Nothing earned. DIRTY.

Number45

Should I worry too much about my skill and attribute distribution? I've put points so far in strength/stamina (I think it was strength, I'm currently using a sword) and have activated the first couple of skills in the sword tree (grapple and a kick combo finisher IIRC). Just wondering if there's anything specifically I should look out for.

I also don't have any magic, although I have attributes and skills that affect those. Assume they'll be introduced properly as I progress and I don't just need to find them out for myself?

Answers are bolded.
Nice, thanks for these.

Anyone able to answer the question about the aim sensitivity? I've set it down one notch but will probably go even further but if it doesn't impact anything else I'll probably go much lower.

myco666

I like the increased freedom with Ninjitsu/Omnyo compared to Souls, but I have to say that from the one time I experienced Sloth in that training mission and the Ninja scroll for not dying; that's super cheese. Can't bring myself to even use those. Nothing earned. DIRTY.

Quick Change isn't really much of a cheesing skill. You can still get killed after it activates and the amount of health you get means you will die to next hit anyways if you don't have elixirs. It is basically just one guaranteed automatic heal.

You're forgetting the monster girls. Surely there are people into that. So you have okatsu, tachi's wife, omnyo girl, blacksmith girl and the female bosses

Actually I didn't forget the monster girls, but in my head there were only Okatsu, Ginchiyo, and Yuki Onna for some reason. Good point about Fuku and Tome.

xuchu

All titles is within grasp. Finally beat Ya
mato-no-Orochi
no hit for the crusher title. What a pain, i get that it's spectacle fight but you're fighting against the camera and have to dodge a billion off-screen projectiles. Someone suggested shooting or using a bow but I didn't see any appreciable damage (maybe because of NG+) and it just leaves you too open to projectiles as you're standing still for too long. Also just ran out of arrows after a few attempts anyway. Ended up changing strategies. First I was using the dual sword water sword technique to burst down the heads but I found it left me too immobile and often got clipped by a stray projectile coming out of it. Switched to single katana and kept it simple with high/mid combos and with the odd morning moon thrown in. Doing all the other bosses no hit was a lot of fun and great added challenge but
Orochi
was just tedious. Doing that boss no hit was a major roadblock but at this point completing the challenge titles is all but done. Brilliant game.

Anyone posted the advance techniques and general tips from XLH?

https://youtu.be/ndWdkhPSv9Y

The more people that know and use sheath cancelling the better. Sets you back to neutral state like shuriken cancelling did in ninja gaiden and allows you to control your combos better. Very useful on low level, no damage runs and allows you to take advantage of limited damage windows in later bosses. Especially useful for cancelling the dash attack animation and rather slow ki pulse weapon change animation. Also double stance change flux is the real king when it comes to ki management. After a bit of practice it practically becomes muscle memory to do it after every combo.

The other is much easier. These fights are only a challenge on Way of the strong, but by the time you get there you will be overpowered as fuck. I was very disappointed with them.

This game has a very serious problem with this "set in stone" difficulty. Considering you can level up your character indefinitely, everything becomes trivial once you reach the end of the way of strong missions.
As someone who's going through a challenge run with 'bare necessities' handicaps: the default difficulty is fine when looked through the lens like that. Legitimately hard in numerous places without being unfair generally speaking, but said curve goes down the drain completely however if you actually wield the multitude of tools at your disposal. Onmyo, Ninjutsu, Living Weapon and armor in general adds a lot of room for error separately, so you can already imagine what impact using every trick in the book has on the game when combined on top of levelling up too.

Would be nice if they upped the speed or aggression of enemies in NG+ akin to their belligerent nature in the alpha demo and if they had another separate mode designed like a more traditional action game (read: cut the loot fat) but unfortunately that's a time-consuming, delicate balancing act to pin down.

Axe is only boring moveset wise, as it's easily the most risky weapon to play with, making actual confrontations a lot more tense than, say, poking from a distance with a spear for a cheesy victory.

Don't hate. Axes are well ace.
Spear has an incredibly fun move set when used offensively and is one of the best for that weapon type I've witnessed in a game in a long time. Not aimed at you specifically now, but it's a shame there's this common misconception of it primarily being a poke weapon for Nioh.

Combat as well, maybe I'm just bad at it. I just stay in low stance and run in for a couple quick hits then dodge back out and repeat. It's hard to stagger enemies so I feel there's no point ever doing anything else.

Really wish I could get into this more :\
It's the bolded.

There's plenty of tools to stagger enemies (humans and Yokai alike) that you're oblivious too by sticking to low stance. There's no benefit to 'maining' a single style.

Baalzebup

hey guys how do you determine which gear to keep, which to sell or dissesamble?

i get many time message "no space available"....so gotta drop worse gear to pickup better ones :(
How the everliving fuck? The item space limit is 500 items! Even visiting the smith only after every 3 missions shouldn't put you in a situation where that happens. But to answer your question. Whites should be sold, no questions. Yellows, blues and purples are to be disassembled, barring the weapon which have transferable abilities that interest you and then you sell the non-purple materials, minus the spirit stone chunks which you should also keep for future reforging.

As item levels increase, there will be thresholds when you will start getting better profits by directly selling the yellows, blues and purples. I never took actual notes when this happens exactly, but it is kind of safe to say that by item level 100 it applies yellows and blues and by lv 150 selling should be the default action unless, again, the weapons have interesting transferables on them.

Number45

As item levels increase, there will be thresholds when you will start getting better profits by directly selling the yellows, blues and purples. I never took actual notes when this happens exactly, but it is kind of safe to say that by item level 100 it applies yellows and blues and by lv 150 selling should be the default action unless, again, the weapons have interesting transferables on them.
Just starting out in the game, what do you mean by transferables? Perks that you can use from an existing weapon to a new one somehow?

EDIT: Is there a combo list anywhere? I've been trying to chain quick to strong attacks and it doesn't seem possible, and now that I unlocked a skill that allows me to tag a kick to the end of a combo it'd be useful to know how many attacks I can use. With my sword it seems like three (either quick or strong) in mid/high stances and maybe four in low but it'd be nice to have something to back that up.

Baalzebup

Just starting out in the game, what do you mean by transferables? Perks that you can use from an existing weapon to a new one somehow?
The blacksmith will actually explain that function to you when you talk to her, but basically it is this: Weapons can have special effects with a []>[] icon in front of them. That is the transferable ability icon. If the weapon that has it has maxed out familiarity, you can transfer that ability over to other weapons by using it as a material in the Soul Matching function provided by the blacksmith. The only limitation to this is that the weapon abilities are divided into "pools" or "families" and a weapon can only have a single ability from each of those groups. Overlapping specials can prevent the transfer, but you can Re-Forge (re-roll) those abilities to make room for the shiny new ability.
EDIT: Is there a combo list anywhere? I've been trying to chain quick to strong attacks and it doesn't seem possible, and now that I unlocked a skill that allows me to tag a kick to the end of a combo it'd be useful to know how many attacks I can use. With my sword it seems like three (either quick or strong) in mid/high stances and maybe four in low but it'd be nice to have something to back that up.
The attack strings are just a straight combo of pressing the same button multiple times before you start buying skills. High Stance heavy tends to be a single strike only, or at least only a single button press for the whole attack string anyway. There are no default alternative light/heavy attack combo strings. Also note that the skill system will eventually offer multiple skills for the same inputs, but you can only have one skill per input per stance, so there will eventually be overlap with some skills and you will have to choose. Different stances can have different skills for the same inputs.

Like what?

All I've noticed about the other stances is doing more damage but making myself more vulnerable.
Heavy stance doesn't get you staggered as often (if at all) when someone is trying to block your attack, and whittles down their Ki quite visible if they hold their ground. Medium stance has perfect blocks and parries that inflict significant Ki damage. There's kicks for every weapon that also chunk down Ki when it connects. Yokai usually (but not always) have weak points (like glowing orange horns for example) that render them easily staggered and are typically easier to land blows on via other stances. Some enemies are susceptible to counter-hits too re: increased Ki drain, like the lumbering statues. Certain items fulfil stamina drain / limiting purposes as well.

These are just a few nuances off the top of my head - stances (including sheathing) also have different types of advantages beyond the above - but there's more weapon-specific ones too worth looking into when you have samurai skill points to spend.

Kattbuss

Hey guys! Quick question:
If I use a branch to leave a main mission, do I need to redo the whole level again or are things saved?
For example, are the warding fires still lit or do I have to light them again? Are shortcuts unlocked?

Hey guys! Quick question:
If I use a branch to leave a main mission, do I need to redo the whole level again or are things saved?
For example, are the warding fires still lit or do I have to light them again? Are shortcuts unlocked?

Literally everything will reset if you leave the mission.

Izuna

Banned
Heavy stance doesn't get you staggered as often (if at all) when someone is trying to block your attack, and whittles down their Ki quite visible if they hold their ground. Medium stance has perfect blocks and parries that inflict significant Ki damage. There's kicks for every weapon that also chunk down Ki when it connects. Yokai usually (but not always) have weak points (like glowing orange horns for example) that render them easily staggered and are typically easier to land blows on via other stances. Some enemies are susceptible to counter-hits too re: increased Ki drain, like the lumbering statues. Certain items fulfil stamina drain / limiting purposes too.

These are just a few nuances off the top of my head - stances also have different types of advantages beyond the above - but there's more weapon-specific ones too worth looking into when you have samurai skill points to spend.

The problem is that, at least when it comes to Swords and Dual Swords, they have abilities that cause large Ki damage/combat damage anyway, so the ability to go from a Quick Attack to Heaven Flash, or God of Wind for example, removes the point of the other stances.

And it's even that it's spammable, in many cases it's optimal. I just Flux right back into the same low-stance and I essentially have infinite Ki.

Baalzebup

Beside the Attack Ki reduction having some room for improvement (which is why I made that the transferable, as that is a relatively common transfer ability), this is more or less perfect weapon when paired with another that has the Close Combat Life Recovery. :)
And I only spent about 7.5M to get into this form :(
FTgzNUS.jpg
I also found this from a revenant some time ago, and this is the default state of the weapon, so you fellow weapon min-maxers might get a kick out of it if you are making a murderous spear.
Change Life Drain to CC Life Recovery

Otherwise, that's basically a god roll :eek:

Breh, I literally addressed that in my post. No need for two weapons with CC Life Recovery.
Your CC Damage Bonus will be like +20% at max FAM, so it's better than FAM Bonus A+
Yeah, I honestly wouldn't even have known about it being possible to be that high, if not for my current set of dual swords that happened to get the same 15% roll very early on. It will be exactly 20% at max fam.

Izuna

Banned
Change Life Drain to CC Life Recovery

Otherwise, that's basically a god roll :eek:

--

Your CC Damage Bonus will be like +20% at max FAM, so it's better than FAM Bonus A+

The problem is that, at least when it comes to Swords and Dual Swords, they have abilities that cause large Ki damage/combat damage anyway, so the ability to go from a Quick Attack to Heaven Flash, or God of Wind for example, removes the point of the other stances.

And it's even that it's spammable, in many cases it's optimal. I just Flux right back into the same low-stance and I essentially have infinite Ki.
That's a matter of imbalances existing - largely magnified due to the loot and other RPG-lite components - rather than a justification of 'maining a single stance' more than anything. Blunt fact is: you have more options to choose from if you don't tunnel-vision on a singular style and it's obviously what the game designers intended players to do, regardless of a specific cheese strategy being effective or requiring less individual dexterity in low stance, if not elsewhere.

A so-called strategy like you described is also mindnumbingly boring with a rich combat system like Nioh's, but that's admittedly an irrelevant personal viewpoint.

AcridMeat

Banned
The blacksmith will actually explain that function to you when you talk to her, but basically it is this: Weapons can have special effects with a []>[] icon in front of them. That is the transferable ability icon. If the weapon that has it has maxed out familiarity, you can transfer that ability over to other weapons by using it as a material in the Soul Matching function provided by the blacksmith. The only limitation to this is that the weapon abilities are divided into "pools" or "families" and a weapon can only have a single ability from each of those groups. Overlapping specials can prevent the transfer, but you can Re-Forge (re-roll) those abilities to make room for the shiny new ability.
Holy shit I'm on main mission 17 and I never bothered to do this hahaha.

Guess I know what I'm doing when I start my session tomorrow.

xuchu

I also found this from a revenant some time ago, and this is the default state of the weapon, so you fellow weapon min-maxers might get a kick out of it if you are making a murderous spear.

Transferable body scaling :O
Um...you don't mind dying somewhere so that others can get it >.<
And by others, I mean me.

Izuna

Banned
That's a matter of imbalances existing - largely magnified due to the loot and other RPG-lite components - rather than a justification of 'maining a single stance' more than anything. Blunt fact is: you have more options to choose from if you don't tunnel-vision on a singular style and it's obviously what the game designers intended players to do, regardless of a specific cheese strategy being effective or requiring less individual dexterity in low stance, if not elsewhere.

A so-called strategy like you described is also mindnumbingly boring with a rich combat system like Nioh's, but that's admittedly an irrelevant personal viewpoint.

I mean, I don't know. The benefits of the higher stances as you describe are all offered by the available skills in the game. Ki damage, higher damage output, often with less start-up. This sort of thing affected NGB too, where the safer, moderate damage attacks were just objectively better and could be used in every situation.

There were very situational times you wanted to use a more powerful attack, like when a boss has a stagger timer and would only allow one attack. It was only NG2 that gave such attacks purpose by means of limb cutting probability and having something like YYYYY with DrSw being the best because it maintains a stagger combo to the end.

Nioh doesn't have that. There are no OTs and staggering is linked almost exclusively to Ki. So with that, Iai ~ Kick/Sword Ki ~ and Heaven Flash are skills you can use with low-stance that does the point of the other stances better. There's only mid-stance with it's parry and a couple of bosses where you can't do Heaven Flash that you get the best output from a quick attack spam in mid-stance.

It's less imbalance and more that the "stances" becomes a gimmick later on at least for the Sword. Because better dodges are limited to certain stances and you can Flux to the same lop-sides it.

I know I only expanded on what I already said, but yeah...

I think the right suggesting would be to get a Ki damaging Skill, as opposed to switching to the less safe stances. Especially since you only need to stagger on enemies with super armour anyway (so you want a faster attack).

Baalzebup

NG+ Request for Ginchiyo? Will be good for others who haven't unlocked later regions as well :)
Yeah, good call. I died a few times wielding that spear on top of the hill next to the starting position, basically right above the cave entrance to the ruins. Wielding the spear and only the spear.

Good hunting, everyone.

I mean, I don't know. The benefits of the higher stances as you describe are all offered by the available skills in the game. Ki damage, higher damage output, often with less start-up.

Yeah, I dunno about single kat since I don't use it, but it would be completely stupid to stay in low stance 100% of the time using dual kats. Yes, God of Wind III is godlike, and I've known this since the beta demo but mid stance can use it too, and high stance has Windstorm and Water Sword, both of which are objectively higher damage than God of Wind, especially on non-human enemies whose ki meters can't be abused so easily.

Izuna

Banned
Guys, there's a Rev you can find at the start of NG+ Twilight (Village) that drops a god roll for Tengu Kiri

With Change to Attack (Heart) A...

I'll find out the name one sec

Izuna

Banned
Yeah,

jacke631029

He's with Red/Toyotomi. Just next to the Shrine in NG+ Twilight The Blessed Village

~~

If you're farming him, you HAVE to die maybe twice for him to respawn (fall off the water)

Keep going in an out of the mission until you see him.

Raybunny

Ah that's clever. Should make it go a lot faster now that we have 3 tries per run.

Took me less than 20 minutes to get one. Quite a remarkable faming method.

Now onto +10 the armor, weapons and reach 50 in each stat. Got a few weeks of work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom