• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo majorly retconned the events of Zelda Majora's Mask recently

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED MAJORA'S MASK turn back

EDIT:There are no BOTW spoilers in this thread.

Game-2.png

Ok so a quick read of the BOTW spoiler thread lead me to the reddit of the game, which lead me to this(Click as this is the most important thing in this OP.. Ok, so apparently the way Majora's Mask works in the new canon, at least according to the encyclopedia, is that

Termina is a world created by Skull Kid using the power of Majora's Mask based on his own memories and wishful thinking/imagination (a la Koholint Island), hence the similarities between Hyrule and Termina. The Giants, also created by the mask, are the representations of the spirits that Skull Kid had a deep connection with, but left.

The dawn of the new day is pretty much a reflection on Skull Kid's mental state when he accepted that people can still be friends even if they are far apart. Since Skull Kid is now happy and the mask is rid of all evil power, the moment Link leaves Termina the land ceases to exist.

Also, it seems that Skull Kid learned Saria's Song directly from Saria, and the origin of the mask is still not specified (could be from Hyrule, at least not from Termina).
So basically....
It_Was_All_A_Dream-1024_1024x1024.jpg

That's uh, pretty lame imho.

Eolz

Not really.
It's really hard to place BOTW in the timeline so far, and it's not
a dream
like Link's Awakening was.

There's a lot of weird stuff going on in BOTW, and it's not retconning anything until it's said.

Alienous

Of course it was a 'dream'. Or a realm that manifests as world based on the thoughts of the individuals in it. Why else would Link encounter twisted versions of the people he met in Hyrule?

Crossing Eden

Not really.
It's really hard to place BOTW in the timeline so far, and it's not
a dream
like Link's Awakening was.

There's a lot of weird stuff going on in BOTW, and it's not retconning anything until it's said.
This is according to the encyclopedia, not BOTW.'
'
Oh course it was a 'dream'. Or a realm that manifests as world based on the individuals in it. Why else would Link encounter twisted versions of the people he met in Hyrule?
It was Skullkid's dream tho, not Link's.

Sakujou

Banned
nintendo is doing this on purpose, arent they?
or are we fans interpreting just a bunch of horseshit into this?

either way:
Majoras Mask will stay as the best zelda ever created.

Crossing Eden

I suppose that makes sense too. He lived in Hyrule also.
Isn't the whole point of his race is that they stayed so long in the forest that they turned into creatures. Don't think they had a chance to visit Lon Lon Ranch at some point compared to the plausibility of meeting Saria.

I started reading the OP but stopped since I wasn't sure if there are BOTW spoilers in it. Are there?
None.

Eolz

This is according to the encyclopedia, not BOTW.'

Ah my bad, misunderstood.
Still, it's not exactly a retcon, but something giving more details. It's like Kojima rewriting the MGS canon at every game, Mad Max movies, etc.

I don't think anyone expected to come back to Termina, but it's also not a dream (like Link's Awakening. It's something that was created by Skull Kid and the Mask, but still happened.

At least Link isn't dead.

This.

I mean the idea for years with me was he died in that forrest, Mojora's Mask was a fever dream as he was dying and he was that Stalfos that trained Twilight Princess Link with the new skills.

I don't really take the Zelda timeline that seriously anyway, just fun theories.

Ogodei

Interesting. I wonder if Nintendo wants to "eliminate" the lands other than Hyrule (aside from New Hyrule of Spirit Tracks and Lorule of Link Between Worlds) in order to cook down the canon.

I always assumed Termina was a parallel world of sorts, like a way-alternate timeline.

Alienous

Isn't the whole point of his race is that they stayed so long in the forest that they turned into creatures. Don't think they had a chance to visit Lon Lon Ranch at some point compared to the plausibility of meeting Saria.

I'm just reading it as a massive shared fever dream enabled by Majora's Mask.

Skull Kid gets the mask from the Happy Mask Salesman. Link, looking for Navi, gets lost in the Lost Woods(?). All three are stuck in this universe created by Majora's Mask, using their memories to build a false, twisted world.

Perhaps that's a wishful interpretation.

This isn't really a retcon. Termina was always this weird alternate dimension that didn't really "exist" anywhere in the Hyrule that we know. In fact, the only entities that existed that were from the world of Hyrule were Link, Skullkid, the ocarina of time, the Mask Salesman. The latter 2 kind of exist outside of the flow of time and space, so it makes sense in a way

Wait is this in Hyrule Historia or is it in another encyclopedia that's currently only in Japan? This is pretty interesting!

Also, I always thought that Termina was a parallel world anyway so it doesn't really exist right? Saria teaching Skull Kid the song though is a retcon I think since in Ocarina of Time you teach him that song in a side quest.

Majora's Mask is still the best and GOAT Zelda game (I haven't played BotW yet) I have ever played in my opinion.

120v

well majora was meant as a 'side story' either way. doesn't really have any bearing on the timeline unless they bring back stuff for a future game or you want to nitpick about easter eggs or whatever

Kwixotik

I don't even try to connect the games in a timeline. I think of Zelda like I do Final Fantasy. Recurring characters, themes, motifs, but not really connected in any linear fashion.

andymcc

Banned
well majora was meant as a 'side story' either way. doesn't really have any bearing on the timeline unless they bring back stuff for a future game or you want to nitpick about easter eggs or whatever

Right, the game was actually originally called Zelda Gaiden (which is usually used for off-shoot stories or non-canonical ones at that) during development. Nintendo's insistence on timeline adherence is why we have multiple ones.

I'm actually okay with this:

the moment Link leaves Termina the land ceases to exist.

Because it sorta lines up with my experiences/theory playing the game. Termina always felt like a trapped alternate reality to me. The cycle of days, the twisted tunnel at the start, the similarities to Hyrule, characters taking on different roles to their Hyrulian counterparts etc.

Termina feels like some world stuck in the middle of time, a surreal reality.

It was Skullkid's dream tho, not Link's.

If it's solely skullkids dream, how are there NPCs existing in Termina that only lived in Future OOT Hyrule. Adult Malon, being the most obvious example, but there are probably others.

The whole dream idea is daft (especially since that was the twist only two games prior to MM, and they made damn sure to spell it out in game when it was), I'm just going to stick with self canon of it being an alternate hyrule. If we can have multiple timelines, the entire multiverse is up for grabs.

This.

I mean the idea for years with me was he died in that forrest, Mojora's Mask was a fever dream as he was dying and he was that Stalfos that trained Twilight Princess Link with the new skills.

I don't really take the Zelda timeline that seriously anyway, just fun theories.

The stalfos in TP is still OOT link. This is in Hyrule Historia and suggested in game.

Termina was never implied to be in Hyrule or the same dimension/reality. If you thought so that was an idea you came up with by yourself, because it certainly wasn't supported by the game in any way

I don't even try to connect the games in a timeline. I think of Zelda like I do Final Fantasy. Recurring characters, themes, motifs, but not really connected in any linear fashion.
This has nothing to do with "connecting games in a timeline" beyond what Majora's Mask already established about it being a sequel to OoT. This info is about Majora's Mask itself.
Lol? They better update new prints of Hyrule Hystoria then....with all the new Timeline info.
Western Zelda market is way bigger than the Japan one it should release here too.

Um... all of the Zelda books come out in Japan first, we'll get a translation of this in the future.

The timeline is all bullshit and I take everything in the encyclopedia with a huge grain of salt. It's basically fanfiction written well after the fact.

This.

The Ghostly Hero that trains Twilight Princess link is the ghost of OoT Link. That's in Hyrule Historia already. He's not a Stalfos though. Just a ghost.

Village

1) so like I much prefer that over the billionth and 1 " this character is dead in a coma " theory.

2) I feel like people are questioning whether its a dream or not and I feel like the only other option you have is either,

A it was a dream
Is Skill kid imagined everything up, that technically is a dream. It may have seemed real, but the only reason it did is because skull kid can can push his imagination on to other it seems. A sort of dream sharing, but its still a dream .
or

B it was a hallucination
He knocked link out and caused link to hallucinate the entire thing and had some weird minipulation over it like scarecrow from batman. Though that gives an entire other disturbing conotation to the fate line, because it would have just been some weirdo who knocked some child out in the woods. And gave him something that caused him to hallucinate for a few hours. Woof

or Secret option C

Majora's mask too place in silent hill.

Majora mask land is like silent hill, and only exists as much as the user needs it to exist in that context.

Top Bottom