• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo majorly retconned the events of Zelda Majora's Mask recently

I always just presumed it was an alternate reality, given the power Majora has and the weirdness of familiar inhabitants.

But this encyclopedia's lore stretching aside, it's not a big deal.

MoonFrog

Yeah but NeoGAF experts have spoken: Nintendo doesn't care about it and neither should you.

I mean, personally, I think it takes away from the story of the games and sort of pushes towards smoothing the rough edges when the incongruities are part of the charm. The idea that there is one perfect timeline that makes sense tends towards retconning and repurposing of previous games and game elements, when a looser, more 'legend' like approach to the fiction that is also more in line with how the games are made, saves you that pain and trouble. And it is not like there is a gripping story there, which is only found in everything fitting together but not in there being a loose connection between things.

IDK. There are plenty of people who call you out for this attitude too, including on GAF. Gotten into long discussions where people took umbrage with me not caring much what the official timeline said.

I guess my main point is, sure buy into the timeline if you want, but there is plenty of reason not to care about it if you don't like it and you really won't miss anything from the games if the price of admission to the timeline looks too high for you and you don't pay up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think I like Termina better as an actual parallel world. Why did we even save it then? Stupid Skull Kid.

Doesn't explain what the deal with the Happy Mask Salesman or Majora's Mask was though... I feel like there's a layer to this story we aren't seeing.

Interesting other tidbit from this encyclopedia: the River Zora of the Downfall timeline are directly descended from the Sea Zora. In that timeline, they gradually became more and more violent and monstrous, with only a small sect of amicable Zora remaining, which are the ones we see in A Link Between Worlds. The Sea Zora we know and love from OoT/TP/BotW all left Hyrule (there's some in the Oracle games still) or mostly turned into enemy monsters. Dark.

Disclaimer: I got this by reading the thread on Zelda Dungeon. I don't own the book.

Soodanim

Gold Member
From what I've seen, this is a lot of fuss and moaning over nothing. Termina is a parallel world/pocket dimension created by Skull Kid using the power of Majora's Mask. That's fine. Seems perfectly consistent to me.

Why is it not like when Franklin Richards makes a pocket dimension? The only time I've seen anyone say it was a dream was when OP said it.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm of the belief that BOTW is a somewhat cheap way to merge all 3 timelines due to it being placed so far in the future and the presence of elements from practically every Zelda game made. Maybe Nintendo intended for this to be a "reboot" of the timeline of sorts.

This is more or less the stance I'm taking.
BotW is a loose far-future Hyrule that draws elements from every time line while also seeming to lean just slightly more toward a specific branch for specific lore, which also just happens to be the most popular timeline..

Painguy

I always thought link just got transported to another dimension cuz of the mask so this isn't to far off. I'm gonna stick with the transported to another dimension idea.

Top Bottom