• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

deserves an own thread..? Suzumiya Haruhi getting a own game

farnham said:
Suzumiya Haruhi

Awesome awesome Novel

Kinda meh anime show.. Kyoto Animation is really really good but they had to cram 3 books into 14 episodes.. so it was kinda meh..

Evangelion

Awesome first 24 episodes

Terrible ending (either the TV ending or the END OF EVANGELION MOVIE)

really really hard to understand.. works with way to many symbols

Great novel? Eh, I don't know about that. 1-6 were solid, but 7 and 8 were a cluster****, and the unanswered questions keep piling up. It's like the Japanese "Lost".

Jiggy

farnham said:
Suzumiya Haruhi

Awesome awesome Novel

Kinda meh anime show.. Kyoto Animation is really really good but they had to cram 3 books into 14 episodes.. so it was kinda meh..
I'm pretty sure the creator worked with them in deciding which parts to include and which not to.
...Of course, that doesn't make it any less problematic. I will admit, reading some of the translated parts of the novel made a great deal of the show make more sense--I can't believe that they never explained the whole "three years ago" thing that they continually alluded to, and some major things that happened during the movie production weren't explained either.
...That said, man, do I get annoyed with Kyon. I'd demand the novel be released in English if I could stand Kyon as a character when it's just his voice speaking and no visual representation. As it is, I don't care too much.

farnham

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Great novel? Eh, I don't know about that. 1-6 were solid, but 7 and 8 were a cluster****, and the unanswered questions keep piling up. It's like the Japanese "Lost".
havent read those yet unfortunately.. but i think its the best newtype novel that i read after full metal panic

callous

BirdFlu said:
WTF what about news for some American games for a change

Not this big eyed weird shit for Japanophiles
USA! USA! USA!

.....ugh. Boy did you ever sign up at the wrong forum.

farnham

Banned
7Th said:
Cowboy Bebop did it with 26.
yeah but thats cowboy bebop.. you cant beat cowboy bebop.. its the pinnacle..

id say cyber formula but that series has some weird weird TV episodes

Hero

Most likely the game is going to be horrible, but I suppose we could be surprised.

And it sounds like a lot of people are upset that Suzumiya Haruhi was one of the most popular anime. Being successful does entail jealousy and unwarranted hatred. :p

Espada

Hero said:
Most likely the game is going to be horrible, but I suppose we could be surprised.

And it sounds like a lot of people are upset that Suzumiya Haruhi was one of the most popular anime. Being successful does entail jealousy and unwarranted hatred. :p

So disliking an anime because's it's made of mediocrity and hype means folks are jealous?

The game is probably going to suck as most licensed things end up that way (especially if it's just going to ape the show).

Need more pictures!

dbzeb7gk9.jpg

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
haruhi was an ok show, better than average (considering most average animes suck) but nowhere near greatness as people declare.

I liked the comedy at times, characters were likeable and kept you guessing, I also liked the way the episodes were structured, was interesting.
the phoenix wright parody was gold..I was like "huh? that looks familiar....HOLD IT!"

but why would someone want to play a game about it?

p.s. anime is still good, but One Piece towers above everything.

X26

Banned
Cruceh said:
QFT

I watched it in order to understand what the hype was all about and came up with... Nothing. Why people like this is beyond me.
don't mind my avatar

Fetishes I guess. You've got the maids, flat chested shy glasses girl, dumb big breasted girl, loli, etc. Something for every 'otaku'

Not my cup of tea, real men watch shows like BlacK Lagoon

Then again real men don't watch anime period...but who cares!

BirdFlu

Banned
callous said:
USA! USA! USA!

.....ugh. Boy did you ever sign up at the wrong forum.

Sigh, when I grew up it was all about GI Joe and Ninja Turtles. Now it's some weird crap that I can't even understand. I feel sorry for all the kids out there that are getting deprived of quality cartoons

v1cious

Banned
X26 said:
Fetishes I guess. You've got the maids, flat chested shy glasses girl, dumb big breasted girl, loli, etc. Something for every 'otaku'

black-lagoon.jpg

QFT

X26 said:

real men watch Hokuto no Ken

Avalon

I really despise anime for the most part, but this show was quiet enjoyable. Lots of great humor and a lot of thought was put into the imagery and theme. The way the shows was narrated was brilliant as well.

Shame this game suck.

Real men watch One Piece and bow before Franky (and Brooke).

Sigh, when I grew up it was all about GI Joe and Ninja Turtles. Now it's some weird crap that I can't even understand. I feel sorry for all the kids out there that are getting deprived of quality cartoons.

Oh, cut the elitist crap.

RumFore

Banned
Seeing cute shit like that makes me want to go out and kill things. Way too cute some of these pictures posted and I cant imagine playing a game like that.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Again, this is probably going to be another mediocre anime franchise ADV, so I don't think it's really going to matter to anyone, regardless if you liked the anime or not.

It was ok, but I liked it more for the character designs of course.

Lyte Edge said:
The fighting game? I heard it was ****ing terrible, with one of the most horrid game play systems ever made.
No. Unmei no Keitouju, Circus' game. Not the horrible 3-D PSP fighter.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Alex said:
I genuinely want to know who watches this and why. I did my anime time long ago, and in the past five years or so, I've only been tricked into trying out three, thankfully, two of which were pretty solid! Digging out a modern anime that isn't solely pedophilia, fan service and has a semblance of wit is a rare feat indeed.

But the other being one of this, and it was easily one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life and I watch some really stupid shit.

It's one of those shows that just annoys you so much you wish any of your friends were stupid and tasteless (and I'm going to assume lonely) enough to enjoy it so you could deck them for satisfaction.
You're aware that Haruhi is a parody of all that crap you said you hate, right?

That said, it is a bit overrated by the people who really make it out to be anything more than a fairly amusing and zany send-up of anime cliches.

Otherwise, it's not THAT hard to find good recent anime that doesn't have any of that crap. You're just not looking in the right places. Hell, from last year alone, just look into Honey and Clover II (I suppose you could argue Hagu plays into the whole moe thing, but she is actually in her twenties by the second series), Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy, Taiyou no Mokushiroku, Kemonozume, FLAG, or Freedom, just as some examples. The year before had Eureka seveN, Honey and Clover I, Mushishi, Blood+, and Noein. And the year before that had Monster, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG, BECK, Bleach, and Fantastic Children (which, despite its name, was not some wacky pedo show).

So there's more than enough good stuff out there across many different genres. It's just that there's a lot more out there that's pure grade-A garbage, that's all.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Lindsay said:
Anyway if this "deserves" its own thread then I say every single anime/cartoon/movie/etc that goes game deserves one to.
Not a bad idea, then we'll have 10% of the thread devoted to the games, 30% devoted to the animes, and 60% devoted to arguing about the ongoing taste and trends in anime!

And it's not like a lot of anime was good in the past either, it was just that fansubbing was smaller and actually selected quality titles to work from. Nowadays everything under the sun is fansubbed and so people actually see the real range of anime for what it is.

Jiggy

Alex said:
I genuinely want to know who watches this and why.
I could probably churn out at least a five-page essay to explain why the show adheres to everything I hold dear about fictional stories (of all breeds: song, literature, poetry, drama, television, etc.), but to keep it short:

Haruhi is an original character, and originality in characters is valuable because characters are one of only two means by which stories distinguish themselves from one another. (The elements of stories are plot, language, and characters--but literally every plot can be boiled down to a character going on some sort of physical, mental, or emotional journey. Thus, language and characters remain, but language grows less relevant as sound and visuals are introduced.) She can't be easily classed into any number of stock stereotypes or archetypes, if archetypical interpretation is one's method, and it's unusual to find a character who shares her particular psychology and sorts of antics all combined in one person.

Kyon, meanwhile, is fairly generic, but he excels at exploding his laughably minor problems into melodrama, and whines about his "situations" with a dry humor that has a way of seeming to dispel the reality that he is whining at all. It takes greater skill from a writer to make an audience care about someone's minor problems, like the eccentricity of a girl friend, than someone's major problems, like death or divorce or drug use or other heavy-handed garbage of such sort. Haruhi (the show) is impressive in that sense because it doesn't rely on plot devices that garner an easy, cop-out, autopilot type of sympathy.

X26 said:

What about the people that watch both? or are they non exsistant. I watch many of different animes and most of the time enjoy them all, it's nice to have a mix.

You're aware that Haruhi is a parody of all that crap you said you hate, right?

any attempt the anime has made at parody is immediately canceled out by the fact that it also closely hews to the worst of anime fanservice conventions. dunno about the novels; i can't imagine wanting to read them. are they graphic novels, and if so, do they blatantly feature big-titty lolis in fetishwear?

oh moe-chan, we're breaking down the fourth wall with our massive maidwear-sheathed mammaries! our audience doesn't know whether to wink or wank!

hell, after excel saga, self-parody is almost a cliche in anime.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Of course it closely hews to fanservice conventions. You can't do parody unless you get close to it. That's the entire point of parody. If you don't get close to what you're making fun of, then it's simply a joke instead of a parody.

Not that there's any denying that it was very beneficial for marketing to play into your normal lolicon tripe, but I would say that there's more stuff AROUND the show that starts to cross the line from parody to "just being another moe" than there is actually in the show. Blame the marketing for missing the point, I suppose.

the "marketing"? they coulda gone for a less generic and fan-friendly art style for starters, and there's no excuse for the jiggling tetas. you sure as shit can do a real parody without succumbing to the circlejerk, and it testifies to just how entrenched suzumiya's creators are in modern anime wankdom that they can't lift themselves above it in any creative or original fashion.

haruhi herself is pure moe archetype despite the narrator's claims otherwise. the show is pure fanservice, no matter how it lies to itself and its fans. hell, the lie is the reason it's so popular with a certain set: it excuses their tastes.

Defuser

Drinky Crow said:
the "marketing"? they coulda gone for a less generic and fan-friendly art style for starters, and there's no excuse for the jiggling tetas. you sure as shit can do a real parody without succumbing to the circlejerk, and it testifies to just how entrenched suzumiya's creators are in modern anime wankdom that they can't lift themselves above it in any creative or original fashion.

haruhi herself is pure moe archetype despite the narrator's claims otherwise. the show is pure fanservice, no matter how it lies to itself and its fans. hell, the lie is the reason it's so popular with a certain set: it excuses their tastes.
For crying out loud,just say you hate it and thats all.You have don't have to come up ten thousand reason explaining why it suxxors. You're wasting your time arguing this.

my goal isn't to state my hate for it, because i don't hate it -- it's not really worthy of anything, much less hate. it's generic crap anime.

my goal is to PISS YOU OFF.

Drinky Crow said:

At least as far as this show is concerned, Drinky knows exactly what he's talking about.

i'm not bitter; i simply only post when i have a strong opinion. and folks only have strong opinions when they adore something or are utterly irritated by it. at my age, i've settled down, so crankiness is my only real option. what!

Drinky Crow said:
i'm not bitter; i simply only post when i have a strong opinion. and folks only have strong opinions when they adore something or are utterly irritated by it. at my age, i've settled down, so crankiness is my only real option. what!

The cat in your avatar looks nice.

It is a nice cat.

I like nice cats.

Especially broiled.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Branduil said:
Oh please don't turn this into one of those "in my day..." threads. There is nothing more annoying and silly than old-school anime elitists.

Nobody is being elitist.
Evangelion was incredibly overrated.

evangelion was overrated, but it was also fairly novel. come on, it was the first mainstream anime where every single character was loathesome. yes, even pen-pen. how could you not appreciate that?

on the other hand, it ultimately spawned the xeno* games. :(

Shouta

MetatronM said:
Of course it closely hews to fanservice conventions. You can't do parody unless you get close to it. That's the entire point of parody. If you don't get close to what you're making fun of, then it's simply a joke instead of a parody.

You can certainly parody without closely treading fanservice conventions but I think that's not really the point. The show starts off a parody (the first two broadcast episodes in particular) but quickly becomes what it was trying to make fun of IMO. I think it just becomes a regular fanservice-y show with a few interesting episodes and a body of modern pop culture references.

Now I'm no Haruhi otaku by any means, but given her brand of insouciance, I'd hardly consider Haruhi a generic character.

And I liked Pen^2. But that's probably just me.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Drinky Crow said:
Damn it, I knew it was the art. Such art goes to waste for this type of series.

Beezy

*shrugs* I liked the Haruhi anime. I don't see why this thread about a game based off of it got to two pages though. We all know it's gonna suck and it's not gonna come to the U.S. anyway.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Branduil said:
I always feel more confident in my tastes when known trolls argue against them. Thanks, Drinky!
No, Drinky isn't far off. Personally, I liked the show because in the middle of all the anime wankdom is Kyon, a normal guy who's just trying to get by.

Shouta

Hitokage said:
No, Drinky isn't far off. Personally, I liked the show because in the middle of all the anime wankdom is Kyon, a normal guy who's just trying to get by.

Kyon is the entire reason most people like the show. If you took him out, I think most people wouldn't like the show nearly as much.

Top Bottom