• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

deserves an own thread..? Suzumiya Haruhi getting a own game

farnham

Banned
http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=6793&table=hb_news&main=hb

scan of the nikkei report

apperantly kadokawa shoten just announced that they are licensing the suzumiya haruhi for a game..

no platform or dev was announced.. (Bandai? Konami?)

Haruhi_9%20(2).jpg

Suzumiya haruhi is a pretty popular novel, Manga from japan..

starring a god, a humanoid interface, an esper, a time traveler and some dude...

角川ホールディングスがコンテンツの版権を管理する新会社「角川プロダクション」を4月2日に設立。アニメや小説など角川グループ各社が持つ著作物を集中的に管理、営業し、商品化や映像化などのライセンス事業につなげる予定。その第1弾として、角川書店の若者向け小説シリーズ「涼宮ハルヒ」のゲーム化をゲーム会社にライセンスすることになった。媒体、内容は未定。 日経新聞 3月14日付朝刊より

:lol I loved that show. This will probably be a hot mess, but assuming it even gets a release over here (Unlikely).... I'll most likely get it.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This smells like viral marketing to me.

In any case it will probably suck even worse then the series did~pretty much like all anime -> game conversions go.

farnham

Banned
Bebpo said:
Will probably be very average, boring and forgettable.

...just like the anime!
oh no.....

but yeah i loved the show but never watched it again afterwards.. so you actually got a point..

Alex

I genuinely want to know who watches this and why. I did my anime time long ago, and in the past five years or so, I've only been tricked into trying out three, thankfully, two of which were pretty solid! Digging out a modern anime that isn't solely pedophilia, fan service and has a semblance of wit is a rare feat indeed.

But the other being one of this, and it was easily one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life and I watch some really stupid shit.

It's one of those shows that just annoys you so much you wish any of your friends were stupid and tasteless (and I'm going to assume lonely) enough to enjoy it so you could deck them for satisfaction.

Evlar

Banned
Busaiku said:
I'm guessing some Visual Novel?
Or did it say what genre it was in the report?
Third-person perspective sandbox game, with the two characters as Kyon and Haruhi, played cooperatively over the internet. The Haruhi player navigates the school and sees everything as completely normal, and that player's goal is to grow the SOS club, attract strange members, and basically start shit. You'll get GTA-style missions through the club computer or challenges from other clubs that you have to overcome by singing, playing mini-games, or exploring the city and school.

The Kyon character sees all the crazy stuff happening in the background and must constantly work to keep the Haruhi character happy and oblivious to her real surroundings. He'll receive missions from aliens, espers, and time travelers that require him to tag along with Haruhi and achieve secondary goals like hitting three home runs in a row or defeating giant insects in RPG-style battle. Kyon has a fatigue meter and Haruhi has a happiness meter and if either falls below a critical number Haruhi gets depressed and the world ends.

I'm making all this up of course.

Branduil

Alex said:
I genuinely want to know who watches this and why. I did my anime time long ago, and in the past five years or so, I've only been tricked into trying out three, thankfully, two of which were pretty solid! Digging out a modern anime that isn't solely pedophilia, fan service and has a semblance of wit is a rare feat indeed.

But the other being one of this, and it was easily one of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life and I watch some really stupid shit.

It's one of those shows that just annoys you so much you wish any of your friends were stupid and tasteless (and I'm going to assume lonely) enough to enjoy it so you could deck them for satisfaction.

Now that's what I call a troll.

Adam Blade said:
Mikuru-chan <3 <3 <3

Mikuru is only good for comedy.

tsuruyasanoq6.jpg
[/IMG]

Cruceh

Banned
Bebpo said:

...just like the anime!
QFT

I watched it in order to understand what the hype was all about and came up with... Nothing. Why people like this is beyond me.
don't mind my avatar

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Oh boy! Another "visual novel" game, full of still pictures and lots of text! AWESHUM! That's bad anime game #349394234 for this month.

icecream said:
Mai Hime says hi.

The fighting game? I heard it was ****ing terrible, with one of the most horrid game play systems ever made.

Alex said:

Yeah, years ago I can remember being interested in and watching a lot of stuff. It's like most anime took a nosedive in the past 4-5 years. There's barely anything I watch these days.

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, years ago I can remember being interested in and watching a lot of stuff. It's like most anime took a nosedive in the past 4-5 years. There's barely anything I watch these days.

There's still good stuff, but you just have to look for it and it's often not what's popular in the mainstream (because often what's popular in the mainstream are lousy shows).

I think fansubbers just had better taste back in the day :p

Bebpo said:

...just like the anime!

Cruceh said:
QFT

I watched it in order to understand what the hype was all about and came up with... Nothing. Why people like this is beyond me.
don't mind my avatar

THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one who thought Haruhi was average and was so overrated

Branduil

Oh please don't turn this into one of those "in my day..." threads. There is nothing more annoying and silly than old-school anime elitists.

Pachael

Konami should be doing this (I don't think Bandai do properties that it doesn't have a hand in). That said, we should talk less about how good the anime or books were and talk more about the potential for the game to sell lots!! (Maybe 100K in Japan?)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ben Sones said:
Man, I feel like I've wandered into Sen'jin... trolls everywhere.

What trolls? It's a fact that licensed games almost always suck no matter which side of the ocean they come from.

Haruhi Suzumiya rocks.

Shit sucks.

Anyway if this "deserves" its own thread then I say every single anime/cartoon/movie/etc that goes game deserves one to.

Shouta

Another visual novel it sounds like. I don't think you could do anything for a series like this.

And yes, the series is meh.

USD

Haruhi isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, it's alright, but I do lol when people claim it to be the greatest animu ever.

7Th said:
Not really. I liked Haruhi and am far from loving it.

same situation here, I like the Haruhi anime, I just dont consider it the best anime of 2006 or the best anime ever or to be this amazing anime that people make it out to be.

Bebpo

Banned
7Th said:
Not really. I liked Haruhi and am far from loving it.

Yeah. I don't hate it. The show has nice animation, some good direction and the occasional enjoyable ep, but it's just very generic anime. It's trying to be a parody of generic anime but screws up and falls into the category itself.

Jiggy

Branduil said:
Haruhi is pretty much one of those shows you either love or hate, like Evangelion.
Which is about the only way in which they could be compared, since Evangelion is terrible pseudo-profundity while Haruhi is brilliance in a novel-conversion format.

Edit: Except for those two mystery episodes and the rainy one, I must admit. But 11 great episodes out of 14 is rarely achieved by any series of any sort.

I found the Haruhi anime pretty cool to watch, though i'm wondering how the game is going to do.

Btw can't wait for second season :3

7Th

Jiggy37 said:
Which is about the only way in which they could be compared, since Evangelion is terrible pseudo-profundity while Haruhi is brilliance in a novel-conversion format.

Edit: Except for those two mystery episodes and the rainy one, I must admit. But 11 great episodes out of 14 is rarely achieved by any series of any sort.

Cowboy Bebop did it with 26.

farnham

Banned
Suzumiya Haruhi

Awesome awesome Novel

Kinda meh anime show.. Kyoto Animation is really really good but they had to cram 3 books into 14 episodes.. so it was kinda meh..

Evangelion

Awesome first 24 episodes

Terrible ending (either the TV ending or the END OF EVANGELION MOVIE)

really really hard to understand.. works with way to many symbols

Jiggy

7TH said:
Cowboy Bebop did it with 26.
Well, yeah, it happens, but it's rare. I actually haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, probably because I hate the art style, but yeah, it happens. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor ran over 26 episodes and only one of them wasn't terribly great. But I think I'm beginning to run off topic, so I'll stop here.

Hopefully they know what to do with the game, whoever's making it. No RPG. No sandbox where I go around the city looking for aliens, espers, and time travelers; just because that's what Haruhi actually does in the show doesn't mean it should be a game. No dating sim. No adventure game where you solve the mysteries of people who come to the SOS-Dan for help. Please, PLEASE no 3D platformer where you play as Yuki and Koizumi.
To be honest, I can't figure out much of anything they could do with a Haruhi game, unless they create some kind of really lame platformer. Or a music game, but I don't dare to hope--what are the odds that whatever developer it is will realize that's the best genre the series can probably handle?

Top Bottom