• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

deserves an own thread..? Suzumiya Haruhi getting a own game

GAF let Pani Poni Dash! fall by the wayside, so as punishment it gets to suck up every last ounce of Haruhism bullshit and ****ing smile about it.

You can certainly parody without closely treading fanservice conventions but I think that's not really the point. The show starts off a parody (the first two broadcast episodes in particular) but quickly becomes what it was trying to make fun of IMO. I think it just becomes a regular fanservice-y show with a few interesting episodes and a body of modern pop culture references.

Pretty much. It wastes whatever goodwill the first ep or two and the fairly novel concept built up on incredibly boring filler.

Son of Godzilla said:
GAF let Pani Poni Dash! fall by the wayside, so as punishment it gets to suck up every last ounce of Haruhism bullshit and ****ing smile about it.

Pretty much. It wastes whatever goodwill the first ep or two and the fairly novel concept built up on incredibly boring filler.

You sir have no soul

Shouta

Son of Godzilla said:

Yeah, I thought the first two broadcast episodes were fantastic. I think they totally nailed the parody in those two eps and I had hoped they retained that feel for the rest of the series. I was sadly mistaken. =/

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
After all the talk in this thread, I think I'm going to check this show out for myself. I was always turned off by the character designs, but I'll give it a shot.

Branduil

Son of Godzilla said:

I thought Pani Poni Dash was boring and full of in-jokes I couldn't care less about.

Branduil

AzureNightmareXE said:
You know what anime kicks ass? Higurashi no Naku Koro ni . Japanese horror at its finest.

Well, that's a bit different as it was originally a game, not the other way around.

A game with absolutely terrible art.

Hero

I guess if people are trying to come off as every single anime needs to have fufilled some deep meaning in their life, then Haruhi would 'suck' in that regard. The Haruhi anime is a spoof of most modern anime, and if someone couldn't understand it (or enjoy its humor) after the first episode then I really begin to wonder why you would continue to watch the series.

With that said, I think a lot of the humor comes from how an average boring male high school student deals with some overzealous, controlling, manipulative bitch that he desperately tries to not have feelings for. As someone else said, without Kyon in the show, it would probably most likely be very boring.

And while the other characters played off their roles well in being parodies of existing anime trends, Haruhi is a shining example of originality in an era of copycats and shameless ripoffs.

Acosta

You people take things too seriously... I stopped caring about the motivations of people liking- seeing whatever they wanted years ago.

Zalasta

I'm impressed, everywhere else I go there have been nothing but praises for Suzumiya. Personally, I enjoyed the first episode as well as the ending song, but I never did get why it was so popular. I don't hate it, but it is quite overrated.

Danj

Bah. Day Of Sagittarius III or bust.

snapshot200606141257037ni.jpg

leeroy082sx.jpg

leeroy115ps.jpg

leeroy133gc.jpg

NeonZ

Am I the only one who think that the main problem of Melancholy of Haruhi is Kyon?

I liked the first novels and some episodes of the anime, but everytime Kyon takes the spotlight, rather than just staying as a sarcastic commentator, the whole story takes a nosedive in quality, and becomes just generic mess. IMO, that's the main problem of (most) side stories and novel 7 (from what I've read so far)...

I suppose that happens mainly because Kyon was created to be generic, considering he doesn't even have a name, but because he was created to be generic, he shouldn't receive spotlight, yet, due to his popularity, he seems to become more and more important as the plot advances... Haruhi, the title of the series, is a much more interesting character, but she has hardly received any character development after the "Melancholy" chapters.

Kyon gets more personality as the books go on, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Having just finished the last book I don't think I'd be willing to defend him.

He's a latent pedophile! The series starts him off as a seemingly well-adjusted kid who's able to talk to girls and function in normal social situations, but as time goes on it becomes obvious he's supposed to represent otaku geek culture and a lot of the stories are wish fullfillment by the author. He relates everyday situations to RPGs, he plays tabletop RPGs, he spends all of his money on games and manga, you even find out he's never had a girlfriend.

I'm still interested enough to not give up on the series, but I think I misjudged it and gave the creator too much credit early on. I really liked the first and fourth book a lot, if it could return to that level then I'll forgive past indiscretions.

7Th

Drinky Crow said:
hell, after excel saga, self-parody is almost a cliche in anime.

Why Excel Saga? Abenobashi did the self-parody thing much better.

Also Evangelion is a good example of great direction… the movies at least. “The End of…” was also an incredible sakuga fest with people like You Yoshinari and Iso Mitsuo working in greatly choreographed mech fights. Anno is still a terrible writer.

typhonsentra said:
Kyon gets more personality as the books go on, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Having just finished the last book I don't think I'd be willing to defend him.

He's a latent pedophile! The series starts him off as a seemingly well-adjusted kid who's able to talk to girls and function in normal social situations, but as time goes on it becomes obvious he's supposed to represent otaku geek culture and a lot of the stories are wish fullfillment by the author. He relates everyday situations to RPGs, he plays tabletop RPGs, he spends all of his money on games and manga, you even find out he's never had a girlfriend.

I'm still interested enough to not give up on the series, but I think I misjudged it and gave the creator too much credit early on. I really liked the first and fourth book a lot, if it could return to that level then I'll forgive past indiscretions.

that kinda makes me want to read the books more now

X26

Banned
Diablohead said:
What about the people that watch both? or are they non exsistant. I watch many of different animes and most of the time enjoy them all, it's nice to have a mix.

As do I, I just don't admit to it :lol

Defuser

typhonsentra said:
Sounds like a average typical guy to me except he is exceptionally sarcastic.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Yeah, didn't like the anime either. Gimme a Welcome to the NHK game where you design your own "galge" and we'll be set

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I just watched a 5 episodes of said show and kyon gets on my damn nerves. I liked him for about 10 minutes of the second episode then he became dead to me falling into that annoying "wtf?!" guy anime douche. Why doesn't he just slap that bitch? Now THAT would make him a real person in the middle of all the generic cliches. I thought the theme song was catchy however.

Defuser

Oh btw,the game will be made by Bandai considering they're the one who is distributing the anime to America.
So it is a 100% chance it will suck.

Yoboman said:
Yeah, didn't like the anime either. Gimme a Welcome to the NHK game where you design your own "galge" and we'll be set

I would play it. NHK is amazing.

the game should be 300 hours long and nonstop purin song playing, then at the end of the game it just says "welcome to isolation" and you realize youve been doing nothing for 300 hours. ITS A CONSPIRACY!

v1cious

Banned
AzureNightmareXE said:
You know what anime kicks ass? Higurashi no Naku Koro ni . Japanese horror at its finest.

i wouldn't say at it's finest, but it's good. my only complaint is the ending sucked, though i heard they are making a sequel.

Shaheed79 said:
I just watched a 5 episodes of said show and kyon gets on my damn nerves. I liked him for about 10 minutes of the second episode then he became dead to me falling into that annoying "wtf?!" guy anime douche. Why doesn't he just slap that bitch? Now THAT would make him a real person in the middle of all the generic cliches.
Funny thing, he does try to closed-fist punch her once but is held back by the other guy.

Danj

Linkzg said:
the game should be 300 hours long and nonstop purin song playing

Well you can easily accomplish this with the mp3 of "Mysterious Purupuru Pururin" and your favourite mp3 player app that supports repeat.

But anyway yeah, while I would love to see a 3D Day Of Sagittarius III game I imagine what we'll get is some mediocre 2D adventure game.

Shouta

Danj said:
But anyway yeah, while I would love to see a 3D Day Of Sagittarius III game I imagine what we'll get is some mediocre 2D adventure game.

There's already a Day of Sagittarius III game out. It's called Homeworld.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
typhonsentra said:

Never doubt the ability of the japanese to run something into the ground. :p

Mugen

Banned
Haruhi rox. People who say otherwise are dead inside.

typhonsentra said:

WTF??!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I can never defend this series anymore. WTF.

Top Bottom