• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS outselling four Sony devices in Japan, now has 65 percent of the market

Codeblue

look at the drop off. you're talking about double digit million sales, then down to 3 when third party shows up. the rare exception being DQ11 but sales of a majorly numeralized franchise exclusive on one platform should be expected to sell that well.

other platforms third party games are evenly distributed or even lead them.

That's not because third party number went up on other systems, it's because first party numbers went down.

Selling the same numbers but getting a bigger chunk of the pie chart doesn't change how well third parties are doing, especially since the platforms where third parties lead are more expensive to develop for.

look at the drop off. you're talking about double digit million sales, then down to 3 when third party shows up. the rare exception being DQ11 but sales of a majorly numeralized franchise exclusive on one platform should be expected to sell that well.

So the issue isn't "third party games don't do well on Nintendo systems" but rather "third party games don't do as well as Nintendo on Nintendo systems". Which, well, yeah. Outside of monsters like Call of Duty they don't do as well as Nintendo on non-Nintendo systems either.

ASIS

This article is completely misleading. The 3DS is outselling everything combined, it means it has outsold Nintendo other consoles + MS + Sony combined. It's a beast to be sure, but Sony is not "in the shit" with hardware sales in Japan (Vita is having a rough start, but the other two are fine.)

Cipherr

Wow, you guys ARE insane then. So in your opinion, its hypothetically better for those same developers to sell 500k on the PSP, because the PSP first party titles are very close to 500k, rather than selling 3 MILLION on the DS because the first party DS titles are in some cases up near 26 million?

So its not the units sold that matters? But the percentage of total software sold? Publishers will sacrifice 2.5million units sold, for a higher % of sales share? Even if it means 10s of millions less in profit and substantially reduced return on investment?

Holy fucking shit I just can't.....

dc89

3DS is on a roll, and with a brilliant line up of software for 2012 it's just going to sell more and more.

This reminds me of how the DS first started. Began slow, then picked up steam and dominated...until Monster Hunter came out on the PSP.

I'm worried about the Vita. I assume the cost of developing on the Vita is a lot more than developing on the PSP or the 3DS. Wasn't that one of the reasons why Japanese developers developed on the DS during its earlier stages because it was cheaper? Than when the PSP became a viable platform is when we saw some amazing PSP titles.

I think it may take awhile until the Vita catches steam.

DS still dominated after Monster Hunter arrived on PSP.

Yes, but the PSP started to sell a lot as well and overtook the DS sales later on.

As a owner of both the 3DS and Vita, I hope they both become successful and the Vita finds a similar success the PSP had.

I think the Vita's health in Japan will determine the games we get in the west. So yeah, after spending so much on the Vita and that stinking memory card, I hope it starts selling.

Koroviev

3DS is on a roll, and with a brilliant line up of software for 2012 it's just going to sell more and more.

This really seems like the biggest threat to the Vita's early sale numbers. As the installed user base for the 3DS continues to swell, the Vita is going to look more and more like the "alternative" handheld. There isn't sufficient evidence to make statements about its long-term success, but I definitely see it lagging behind the 3DS for the next year or so.

You know, unless there's a price drop.

Koroviev

Wow, you guys ARE insane then. So in your opinion, its hypothetically better for those same developers to sell 500k on the PSP, because the PSP first party titles are very close to 500k, rather than selling 3 MILLION on the DS because the first party DS titles are in some cases up near 26 million?

So its not the units sold that matters? But the percentage of total software sold? Publishers will sacrifice 2.5million units sold, for a higher % of sales share? Even if it means 10s of millions less in profit and substantially reduced return on investment?

That's kind of like saying one would rather be responsible for the hottest game on Linux than a moderately popular game on Windows.

Boney

Banned
don't concede you're correct DR2K even on the DS

top 20 games on DS, only 3 being non first party titles. other third party titles find success only because the DS has a fucking HUGE user base. its like a giant eating a giant meal, even the scraps to a normal sized person are sizable.

psst tomodachi collection is first party *wink*

jeremy1456

Yes, but the PSP started to sell a lot as well and overtook the DS sales later on.

As a owner of both the 3DS and Vita, I hope they both become successful and the Vita finds a similar success the PSP had.

I think the Vita's health in Japan will determine the games we get in the west. So yeah, after spending so much on the Vita and that stinking memory card, I hope it starts selling.

You worded thay very creatively.

Overtook infers LTD, which the psp has never, and wull never 'overtake.'

That makes zero sense, but okay. If PSP isn't a "alive" platform, what does that make Vita? Outselling the Vita is news? The PSP has been outselling the Vita almost every single week, except the launch week of the Vita and 2 weeks in 2012 out of the 13, by a mere 1300 and 1900 units. That is what you call a "alive" platform?

sony is focusing on psv and ps3 right now, psp and ps2 are an afterthought at this point. they're still selling ps2's and psp's because they're cheap and filled with irrelevant games, really niche stuff or shovelware. the same applies to nintendo, they're focused on 3ds and wiiU, wii and ds are gone.
the consoles are still being made, there are a FEW games are still being made (not gonna discuss quality, it's a subjective matter) but that doesn't mean that they're actually worried how these old products are doing, they've moved on.
i didn't say that vita was alive or dead in how much it's selling (as if i even cared, i don't even have a 3ds or vita), but it's in fact the platform that sony is focused on, not forgotten handhelds. this is just like the 3ds/vita is doomed threads, where everyone forgets that the vast majority of consoles go through a rough time after their launch where there's nothing worth playing. why should the vita be any different? ofc it's not selling, there's nothing to play right now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About third party, there's this thing called MH3G which has always been on top 10 since its release, and which is selling like two overgreens like Mario 3D Land and MK7...or maybe I've just dreamt it and it never happened...

To Shareholders: "We're the number 1 third party on *insert non-nintendo machine here* by selling 500k units!"
Shareholders: "Lets make more games!"

Or

To Shareholders: "We sold 3 million units but we're 20th on a Nintendo console"
Shareholders: "We're not number 1, abandon ship"

Blame shareholder/investor tunnel vision.

impact

Banned
About third party, there's this thing called MH3G which has always been on top 10 since its release, and which is selling like two overgreens like Mario 3D Land and MK7...or maybe I've just dreamt it and it never happened...

Now imagine if it had online

gogogow

sony is focusing on psv and ps3 right now, psp and ps2 are an afterthought at this point. they're still selling ps2's and psp's because they're cheap and filled with irrelevant games, really niche stuff or shovelware. the same applies to nintendo, they're focused on 3ds and wiiU, wii and ds are gone.
the consoles are still being made, there are a FEW games are still being made (not gonna discuss quality, it's a subjective matter) but that doesn't mean that they're actually worried how these old products are doing, they've moved on.
i didn't say that vita was alive or dead in how much it's selling (as if i even cared, i don't even have a 3ds or vita), but it's in fact the platform that sony is focused on, not forgotten handhelds. this is just like the 3ds/vita is doomed threads, where everyone forgets that the vast majority of consoles go through a rough time after their launch where there's nothing worth playing. why should the vita be any different? ofc it's not selling, there's nothing to play right now.
So much misinformation, i'm not even gonna bother. You should follow Colonel Mustard's advice.

The people who don't follow the MC threads really shouldn't comment on the subject matter.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
PS2? So it's a sensational headline. Why not include PSX and Pocketstation while you're at it?

Because Media-Creare doesn't track their numbers (same for GBA, Gamecube and Xbox), while they do for the PS2 and Xbox360 (where the former usually outperforms the latter.)
MC currently releases numbers for 4 Sony platforms which are still being produced and sold to retailers and consumers, there's really nothing "sensational" about it. Going by the numbers and your logic they should also stop tracking the NDS family (Lite, Dsi and XL).

guek

Banned
While 3DS sales in japan have been very strong, it hasn't done as well elsewhere. It's not doing poorly by any means, but I don't think it's in line with what we're seeing in japan. At the end of the gen, we'll probably see lifetime sales fall somewhere between DS and GBA, which would still be awesome but doesn't make for as impressive of a powerpoint bullet.

Cipherr

To Shareholders: "We're the number 1 third party on *insert non-nintendo machine here* by selling 500k units!"

Or

That might actually make sense if shareholders didnt also look at profits and losses sheets. The profits and revenue on 3million outweigh that of 500k, so the situation still does not add up, not even for shortsighted investors.

tborsje

Or

Well that sounds like a load of bull.

To shareholders: We're not making you much money in capital gains and/or dividends because we aren't selling our products on a popular platform.
Shareholders: Let's make more games???

Or

To shareholders: We're delivering you far higher returns by selling far more products in a lucrative market. But, we're losing the sales penis-measuring competition.
Shareholders: Abandon ship???

Erethian

This article is completely misleading. The 3DS is outselling everything combined, it means it has outsold Nintendo other consoles + MS + Sony combined. It's a beast to be sure, but Sony is not "in the shit" with hardware sales in Japan (Vita is having a rough start, but the other two are fine.)

Rough start is putting it mildly, and neither the PSP or PS3 are selling particularly well.

flawfuls

yeah, so much misinformation. everyone knows ps2, wii, ds and psp are still bringing out their big guns this year!

The situation for the psp might be like that in the rest of the world, but in japan the psp is still on par with the ps3 and well ahead of the Vita when it comes major games coming out and the rate at which new titles get announced. I mean just look at any media create thread.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

Or

OR something based in reality like :

To Shareholders : Our Q1 sales were <this> resulting in <that> increase in profit which then resulted in <those> dividend payment/share price increase

Burai

shitonmychest57

Or

You really think that happens? Really? Fucking hell.

Ravage

I was gonna ask why a 12 year-old hardware is even included in this 'comparison' before one of the post reminded me that the PS2 is still outselling the 360 in Japan.

Medalion

Banned
This thread doesn't fit the theme on the board lately, positive news about Nintendo? Damage control, quit interrupting our raining on Nintendo's parade!!!

Michan

You must be living in a world where two of the biggest franchises in Japan do not exist.

the consoles are still being made, there are a FEW games are still being made (not gonna discuss quality, it's a subjective matter)

You clearly don't know what titles have been releasing overseas.

but that doesn't mean that they're actually worried how these old products are doing, they've moved on.

And you also don't seem to understand Sony's current financial situation.

sphinx

the piano man
It's not like there is a Media Create thread every week on GAF or something.

yeah but media create threads are about numbers and discussion is mostly based around the maths, the sales expectations and the whys and the hows.

this thread is about how a single console is crushing everything else in a particular region, it is indeed related but this and a regular MC thread serve different purposes, I'd say.

Top Bottom