• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Flexible on PlayStation 4 Cost

Loudninja

When asked if the company was prepared to compete with other consoles and hit a more favorable price, Yoshida said that Sony's decisions to use custom AMD hardware instead of its own proprietary Cell architecture has allowed it to save on R&D and production costs.

"The architecture choice we have made this time around has allowed us not to invest to create dedicated factories and conducting factories and things like that — so that helps in order for us to provide an affordable price to consumers."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-flexible-on-playstation-4-cost

Hoo-doo

Banned
Tretton on the matter of cost:

Will the new console cost $599 to start?

I certainly hope not. I think we’re very proud of what we delivered with the PlayStation 3 in terms of technology, and that we were able to enhance the features while still reducing the price to $249. But I think our goal with this is to debut at a more consumer-friendly price. But we haven’t made any final decisions about what the price will be at launch.

http://allthingsd.com/20130221/seve...ck-tretton-following-the-playstation-4-event/

Very glad about the end

"....affordable price to consumers"

Obviously their definition of "affordable" is all that matters.

Still going to be expensive as FUCK to produce. GDDR5 RAM is NOT CHEAP by any definition of the word.

Luckily, subsidized consoles maneuver around that problem quite deftly.

Takuya

Banned
Imo, they will let Microsoft make the first move as far as pricing goes, and then make their announcement.

$399 Standard SKU
$499 Premium SKU

PhatSaqs

Banned
I'll be surprised if they go above the $429 rumor. The closer they get to $500 the more they risk getting steamrolled by MS again.

Thoraxes

... affordable to consumers who buy $600 iPads.

Either way, it could be fun to see Sony bleed money faster than a river flows.

mr_nothin

Banned
So basically BoM doesnt matter as much to them because they arent spending billions on R&D and building factories. Awesome

The lowest SKU will never go over 500. That's passing the mental barrier by miles.

I'm guessing 449/499 or 399/499 depending on the losses they're willing to take on this. Could be some weird number in between though like 420/490.

I really how much I am going to spend if this does have sone sort of online pay 50$, plus what a game or 2, 120$, plus another controller 60$. Already looking at some high price goddamn.

Salsa

sticking with what ive said before: high price point, but optional different retail package that lowers the cost but adds a revamped PS+ monthly subscription and comes with game/online sharing features.

What exactly would a cheaper SKU cut back aside from HDD size? I was think the next eyetoy but it wouldn't make sense if they want to make it standard and I don't think it has Kinect level price anyway.

My Guess is
399 for a console with smaller HDD
499 for a console with a large HDD and maybe a year of PS+?

Imo, they will let Microsoft make the first move as far as pricing goes, and then make their announcement.

They'll both want to wait it out but at some point one of them will have to pull the price trigger. I expect E3 for both because they'll need to start accepting preorders after a major event, I think.

Ryaaan14

Banned
$399 with paid online sub required. They'll make bank off of software through PSN with people using the background downloading tech to make up for hardware losses.

Amory

Console manufacturers should do what amazon does with the Kindle and offer a SKU with ad backgrounds and commercials or whatever. Then offer it at a much lower price.

If they've planned it well, they'll be able to offset their initial losses with paid services. Hopefully not with 10 dollar increases to the price of games, though.
indeed. They're also probably banking on having much more people on PS+ from the get go which should help offset things. Game prices going up would be turrrible.

Crisco

Banned
One SKU with optical drive and one without. A $100 difference based on hard drive capacity doesn't make sense in 2013.

alstein

I don't think Sony will force online play to be free.

I could see something like a subsidized model where you're forced to get PSN+, but I don't think they'll stick online play behind a paywall, as that will cause real anger from folks who stuck with the PS3.

Kame

If by any means the PS4 is between 300-400, I'm in for one. Anything above 450, I'll be hesitant.

Could also be cheaper (lol but this is $ony were talking about) they can somehow pull the loss in a subscription based PSN for the new platform.

Top Bottom