• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 removal of system activation limit? How will this affect you?

Spy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhfLBTPcG6U&t=0m47s

It's my understanding the PS4 will have a "Home" console which can play digital content offline; any other console will need to be logged into the account in which the content was purchased to play said content. On the PlayStation 3 there was originally a five console activation limit for digital content, in November of 2011 the limit was reduced to two. How will the complete removal of this activation limit affect those with multiple consoles?

There are those with have children who find it convenient to share their digital content across devices; now the second device will need to be logged into the "Home" account. What if your internet connection goes down? Can you only play your content on one console?

Has any of this been clarified?

It won't affect me at all. I have my main console in my living room and my account is also activated on my parents' system that I occasionally use when I go visit them during the holidays.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't think they've said anything about removing system activation limits
Came to post

If they did id be irritated
And it really would be awkward i mean ffs their mobile has activation limits!

Edit: account locked drm styled stuff? I kinda dont think theyd do that for the whole reason theyre against being logged in to access stuff...

saunderez

That's the same system I've been living with on the 360 so I'm ok with this. Sony, please don't put a stupid time limit on console transfers.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sounds like the 360 way of doing things. So yes, you'd have to be logged into your account to use DD items from your account.

Soulflarz

Banned
Sounds like the 360 way of doing things. So yes, you'd have to be logged into your account to use DD items from your account.
But xbox my friends can log me in and download then be the home console
Aka i can have like 4 different dlcs on 4 diff home consoles

Spy

Even if you're allowed to play both consoles offline, can the second player not gain trophies of their own?

ruttyboy

I don't mind having to be logged in as me, but does anyone know if whilst being logged in I also have to be online? That's the crucial question.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
On consoles other then your home console only I think. Otherwise, what's the point of the home console.

I believe on another system you have to be online, or once every six months I think you can license the console and play everything on any profile on that console.

Perkel

Banned
They never said anything about removing activation limit or activation itself.
One thing is sure. 10 people won't be able to play bought from Store games.

But you will be able to play your physical games on your 10 friends PS4 using your account.

Activation=/=account.

You can have 100 accounts on 100 different PS4 but only 2 of them will have option to download content from PSN

hesido

Yes, making the home console switch should be made easy. I'd say instantly would be best for us consumers, but maybe they'd go with a 24 hour before a new home console is designated.

Otherwise, this new system is worse for me.

Lionheart

If activation limit is removed (no more two activations), then it would affect me (well my family), because I have a PS3 at home and one at my parents'. If I now obtain games through Plus or buy them on PSN that I know they might like as well, I always install them on their PS3 as well and they would occassionally play them on their account.

Then again, it would take a while before they'd also own a PS4, but still, I liked the activation system.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If this means removal of system activation limits from 2 to 1, then I'm still not personally affected by this but I think it sucks for people that have two consoles for various reasons. (Kids, bling bling dollar dollar in two rooms.)

Elrina

Neo Member
I don't mind having to be logged in as me, but does anyone know if whilst being logged in I also have to be online? That's the crucial question.

Only to initially download it, I imagine. It's probably just locked to any other user account on any PS4 other than the one designated as your Home console.

It kinda sucks not being able to PSN swap with a friend anymore, I guess. If I really want to play a game that I downloaded at someone else's house, I'd rather just bring my console with me than do a temporary download on theirs. I guess I can see why they don't want people doing that anymore though.

This is probably the fault of PS+ being required for online play tbh. They wanted to make it possible for online access to be shared from your home console. If any two activated consoles were able to let any user online with only one PS+ sub, then two people could make a dummy PSN to get online with the same sub and share all the free games and just switch up who paid for it each year.

If this means removal of system activation limits from 2 to 1, then I'm still not personally affected by this but I think it sucks for people that have two consoles for various reasons. (Kids, bling bling dollar dollar in two rooms.)

Well, if it's someone who owns both consoles, it should only be an inconvenience, hopefully. Basically means married couples will have to play each machine, you can't have one for both parents and one for just the kids or something.

But the primary user (or PS+ account holder or whatever) can still designate one PS4 as their Home system so that their spouse/partner/kids/friends can all play on that one, while primarily using the other console.

CTLance

Aw man, that sucks. I was wondering when inconvenient PS4 issues would surface.

I absolutely despise always online, so that's a major point against the new system.

In other words: AGAINST.

Edit: ooooh, my usage of "new system" could be understood as referring to PS4. No, I was talking about the new account/home console system.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Aw man, that sucks. I was wondering when inconvenient PS4 issues would surface.

I absolutely despise always online, so that's a major point against the new system.

In other words: AGAINST.

You don't have to always be online for the home system though?

fertygo

Well if I'm buying I'm not gonna buy two.

I'm more concerned with the hardware limit for PS+, its gonna sucked balls if its still only 2 HW per acc.

I gonna need it for PS3, Vita, and PS4.

CTLance

You don't have to always be online for the home system though?
Yup, but given a choice between two systems per account and being able to stay offline with both of them (after downloading the games), and a theoretically unlimited amount of consoles per account and the always online requirement beyond all but the first system I will always go for the first option.

Even if the connection requirement does not affect me currently and only in a theoretical world where I gain riches, a villa, a wife, and several offspring wanting to play my games on their own PS4s. That alone would get the little ingrates the belt and no dinner, but I digress. ;)

boingball

I buy stuff on the US store and the EU store (I am even a Plus subscriber in both). I play on my EU account though, so this will affect me (since I can play US games only on my home console). I do have currently two PS3s and once a slim PS4 is released might also have two PS4s.

I will probably not extend my US Plus subsribtion (which expires only early 2015 though).

Lets be honest with ourselves. As soon as we all figured out how easy that 5 pass limit was easy to abuse, we all knew that gravy train was not going to last.

Well if I'm buying I'm not gonna buy two.

I'm more concerned with the hardware limit for PS+, its gonna sucked balls if its still only 2 HW per acc.

I gonna need it for PS3, Vita, and PS4.

I was under the impression that Handhelds and home consoles are counted separately.

Not a fan of this is the approach. I much prefer the 2 system limit.

Me too, it sounds like you have to be logged in on the 2nd PS4 which sucks. I have two PS3s with multiple users, they can all play my games without my main account logged in. Looks like Sony is out to get the gamesharers.

Maxxan

I prefer the old system, but the reason why I prefer it is that I shared content with a friend. It makes sense for sony to limit paid online play to one console at a time.

DiscoJer

I was under the impression that Handhelds and home consoles are counted separately.

Yeah, at least right now you can have 2 PS3s and then 2 handhelds, either PSPs or Vitas (or 1 of each).

Who knows if the PS4s will count along with the PS3s? The Vita in theory will play almost all the PSP content so it makes sense, but that won't be true for the PS4 aside from PS1 (and I guess PS2) games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it'll affect me because my son will not want to be logged into my account to play his games - he'll want to use his account. But I will want to share games with him to keep costs down, and I don't want to pay for two PS+ subs.

I guess his machine could be the 'home' one and then the main one is the 'guest'. I'll always be online anyway so no big deal, but then if my daughter wants to play she won't be able to use her account..

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony did not mention system activation limmits for PS4. This video only mentions loging in with your account on some different console, and that's not the same.

I'm fairly sure that PS4 and PS3 will have the same amount of system activations, two per system [Vita gets only one, but that's fine].

I have an account on which I buy stuff and another where I play the stuff I bought.

I am not amused.

so you simply make that ps4 your 'home' ps4, you can still play all your game with another account offline.

this new system mostly hurt gamesharer and people with multiple ps4 because then one of their ps4 need to be online (not sure if it's constant internet required or not)

it'll affect me because my son will not want to be logged into my account to play his games - he'll want to use his account. But I will want to share games with him to keep costs down, and I don't want to pay for two PS+ subs.

I guess his machine could be the 'home' one and then the main one is the 'guest'. I'll always be online anyway so no big deal, but then if my daughter wants to play she won't be able to use her account..

your daughter can just use your son's 'home' ps4

Elrina

Neo Member
Where are people getting the online requirement from? It says nothing about that, just that you have to be on your PSN profile on any console that isn't registered as your Home PS4.

Log into secondary (or friend's) PS4 > download whatever games > play them online or offline, either. (And technically, if the ethics didn't bother you and you don't care about the trophies being reflected on your own PSN account, then you could probably share single player/offline games with several friends this way.)

It says nothing about any online requirement. When you activate a specific PS4 as your Home console, it probably unlocks access to online multiplayer and downloaded content on any other PSN user accounts on the console. When you download something on a different PS4, it probably just locks it to your PSN profile, so that you can't access it from another user account (allowing it to be played offline).

Spy

When you download something on a different PS4, it probably just locks it to your PSN profile, so that you can't access it from another user account (allowing it to be played offline).

This is a problem for those with multiple consoles and children.

ShapeGSX

Sony did not mention system activation limmits for PS4. This video only mentions loging in with your account on some different console, and that's not the same.

I'm fairly sure that PS4 and PS3 will have the same amount of system activations, two per system [Vita gets only one, but that's fine].

Then they would have said you can have two "home" systems.

Vestal

Gold Member
Where are people getting the online requirement from? It says nothing about that, just that you have to be on your PSN profile on any console that isn't registered as your Home PS4.

Log into secondary (or friend's) PS4 > download whatever games > play them online or offline, either. (And technically, if the ethics didn't bother you and you don't care about the trophies being reflected on your own PSN account, then you could probably share single player/offline games with several friends this way.)

You are posting a lot of wishful thinking. Yeah Sony will leave a loophole like this unchecked...

Zoe

It says nothing about any online requirement. When you activate a specific PS4 as your Home console, it probably unlocks access to online multiplayer and downloaded content on any other PSN user accounts on the console. When you download something on a different PS4, it probably just locks it to your PSN profile, so that you can't access it from another user account (allowing it to be played offline).

It's not the online bit that's important. It's locking the stuff to one account. That's a departure from how it is on the PS3, so it would suck to lose that ability.

ShinKagato

Neo Member
Im not sure im understanding, i only plan on buying one console and playing on that system however, as long as when that eventually breaks and i buy a new one i can switch the new console in and make that the main machine im happy with that. If i also have the ability to log into my brothers PS4 when visting him and let him try out some of my games until i leave thats cool too, he has his own money, id expect him to buy any game he enjoyed playing instead of trying to "share" it from me.

The only time i can see this being an issue is if say i had one, and my step son had one and we wanted to share our catalogue, i have an internal LAN set up anyway and fairly good internet so if i could designate him as someone i want to be able to play games thats fine, however if the net dropped for any reason and he was left with nothing that would stink. Thats all hypothetical anyway, he is an xbox gamer and plays totally different games than me so its unlikely an issue for me but id feel for anyone in that situation.

Vestal

Gold Member
Im not sure im understanding, i only plan on buying one console and playing on that system however, as long as when that eventually breaks and i buy a new one i can switch the new console in and make that the main machine im happy with that. If i also have the ability to log into my brothers PS4 when visting him and let him try out some of my games until i leave thats cool too, he has his own money, id expect him to buy any game he enjoyed playing instead of trying to "share" it from me.

Yup this is how I look at it, and it appears its how it will work.

velociraptor

This sounds fucking terrible. I would rather them keep the 2 system limit.

Me and my brother both have PS3 accounts on 2 seperate PS3s. We can both play whatever games we both purchase. And I like it that way.

Jeb

Sounds absolutely terrible.
As a guy who lives in a house with more than one PS3s and multiple family members, the fact that I can only put my stuff on one while the rest can only access my content whejn I'm signed in is bullshit.
More annoying forms of DRM is how I see it.

This sounds fucking terrible. I would rather them keep the 2 system limit.

Me and my brother both have PS3 accounts on 2 seperate PS3s. We can both play whatever games we both purchase. And I like it that way.

So convenient isn't it... pls Sony don't remove this..

What good is it for a man to gain the ps4, yet lose his beloved account system??

Top Bottom