• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Ransom: Underground, a licensed sequel to River City Ransom (Kickstarter)

5d333c78c2152708cb35257e3fd9bf55_large.gif

Looks good to me.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Why isn't Million making this?

test_account

XP-39C²
Looks amazing! The background graphic style is a bit different than the NES original (at least from whats shown in the trailer. Maybe a bit darker compared to the original.

I hope that this gets ported to consoles, otherwise i might not get around to play it.

Yeah, they might've overdone the pitch. Being too comical and all.

They should've let the game speak for itself and kept the jokes to a minimum.

Yep. Shovel Knight pitch style would've been best.

I think people are annoyed when it's clear they're being advertised to, someone is trying to entertain them in order to get something out of them, etc.

I really would like them to succeed, but their pitch video could seriously break them.

Vamphuntr

I think graphic wise it looks faithful to the original and the art style is great to me. The pitch isn't very good at explaining gameplay details. Outside of "evolved combat" and "more of everything" there isn't much to learn. I also have no idea who these guys are and what games they worked on (outside of the sound designer). It seems they a really passionate about the original as they apparently invested lot of money to acquire the license and that's really great but I would like to see if they worked on similar games before backing the project.

Any Technos people involved in this? If it's a true Kunio-kun game I'll back the shit out of it. Super Dodge Ball next, please.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I... liked the pitch. Felt fitting for RCR anyway. I'm quite glad to see they weren't too dark or moody about it; the amount of fairly good-natured fun actually gives me confidence in that they're making an updated NES-era game, rather than de-making something that'll feel too "mature" for a Technos-style BEU.

I'm kinda annoyed that so many Kickstarters are showing me more games that I want lately, than the upcoming systems themselves. HD Shantae, Mighty No. 9, General Chaos 2, and now this... It's getting pretty crazy how much seems to be popping up in such a small amount of time.

After M#9, I was happy to see a decent sampling of gameplay in their pitch, too. Sound effects, timing, personality... it all feels like it's on the right track. And the cast looks nicely varied, even more so than I'd expect of Million themselves...

fuck yeah, we needed a new city ransom, one of the best coop games ever

great pixel art, thank god no shitty super clean hd cartoon graphics this time

shira

fuck yeah, we needed a new city ransom, one of the best coop games ever

great pixel art, thank god no shitty super clean hd cartoon graphics this time

Watching the trailer. It just looks wrong. The characters don't have the charm of the originals.

tumblr_m2un83crvw1qfa1jdo1_500.gif

charsace

I saw these sprites on tigsource a while ago. They got a lot of praise and then the dude who did them took them down. Should have saved them when I had the chance to.

THIS NEEDS TO BE SPONSORED. O__O
I don't think you guys understand what this will bring about.

A resurgence in NES-level graphics and quality?

If so, count me out.

I'm all for funding retro projects and all, but there is a reason why they are called retro.

Also, you do realize this is just going to prompt more and more big name companies to outsource to Kickstarter, right? Which is not a good thing.

CamHostage

Oh cool, they actually did launch the Kickstarter! I was just on that site randomly on Friday (I'm down because Nekketsu Fighting Concerto came out in Japan with no international release news and I went looking for what I thought was hopeless hope) and saw the teaser was set for 9/9 but it's been so many ages I didn't think it'd happen. But there it is, and despite urky early assumptions about this team coming from nowhere and getting the rights (to a series that's very much active still, even more rare,) the work they've done so far actually looks pretty good! Looks more like a sequel to Sam Pilgrim than RCR, but it throws punches the way I want em, so I'm happy. Good luck.

Toad.T

Banned
Isn't this like, the 5th attempt at a RCR revival this generation? Poor timing too, what with M#9 and Shantae.

...I do hope for the best with this team, but the odds seem against them.

A resurgence in NES-level graphics and quality?

If so, count me out.

I'm all for funding retro projects and all, but there is a reason why they are called retro.

Also, you do realize this is just going to prompt more and more big name companies to outsource to Kickstarter, right? Which is not a good thing.

no.
And if you remember that quality of animation in the NES, your memory is implanted.

Top Bottom