• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Ransom: Underground, a licensed sequel to River City Ransom (Kickstarter)

TreIII

alex-coverart.png

Yeah...I really don't like what they were trying to do with Alex/Kunio here. It just looks too weird doing this in the SD style, so it looks too much like a kid trying so hard to look mature.

I mean, it's one thing if you want to try and make for a design that depicts him as being older and more mature. But if you really want that, you should have stuck closer to his design from the non-SD games (re: "Renegade" and etc.)...

Kunio-kun_game_flyer.png

250px_shodai_nekketsu_k_c5_8dha_kunio_kun_box_1245251843.jpg

...and worked your design from there.

Thankfully, at least the battle system concept looks good.

Animation and backgrounds look great.
Playable character designs are hit and miss.
Game needs to have online multiplayer, which I'm not sure it will have.
Not sure if I'm going to pledge.

Psxphile

A sequel to a localization, huh? That's probably why Million let them make it: it's not exactly Kunio anymore in all but gameplay (which honestly is really the only thing that matters here). Surely the industry can stomach another beat-em-up style game that incorporates RPG-like elements into the design?

Still, aging up the characters: why? Why do western developers do this when they get a hold of eastern properties (see: Rocket Knight)? Strange. Gotta have that grit, I guess.

Hm. Might back this, might not. Might just wait until it's available for purchase, I already have too much on my plate as is. Pulling for a good, solid game though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah...I really don't like what they were trying to do with Alex/Kunio here. It just looks too weird doing this in the SD style, so it looks too much like a kid trying so hard to look mature.

I mean, it's one thing if you want to try and make for a design that depicts him as being older and more mature. But if you really want that, you should have stuck closer to his design from the non-SD games (re: "Renegade" and etc.)...
...and worked your design from there.

Thankfully, at least the battle system concept looks good.

Even they were not happy, and settled more on the refined concept that became the in-game "card":

alex-card-new.png

SD has nothing to do with "kids" though. In NES games, it's more of a way to make features and small details identifiable. I understand why one feels that way, but it's really something that should be gotten over; it's employed, artistically, to show a whimsical, light hearted nature, often times to counterbalance serious situations, which is a perfect fit for "River City Ransom", really.

I would agree that Renegade has more of a style feature-set that's fitting for a US company to work from... but no one remembers Renegade nearly as well, and fans of the localization have no love for the Super Famicon sequels. I wish Million or Miracle Kidz would work with that style more, since they should have the chops for that direction, but they seem to want to stick to the SD stuff as well.

A sequel to a localization, huh? That's probably why Million let them make it: it's not exactly Kunio anymore in all but gameplay (which honestly is really the only thing that matters here). Surely the industry can stomach another beat-em-up style game that incorporates RPG-like elements into the design?

I agree with the "sequel to localization" bit, I actually find it an interesting angle, overall. Industy can stomach loads of them, ha; it's not like enough are made for anyone to really complain, and there aren't even many solid indie ones available, in the grand scheme of things. I feel like smaller devs fall back on platformer, runner, and "roguelike" designs much more now-a-days.

Still, aging up the characters: why? Why do western developers do this when they get a hold of eastern properties (see: Rocket Knight)? Strange. Gotta have that grit, I guess.

I think it's because of the fact that Asia... never really does it. Square is stuck with giving everyone 14/15 year olds, Anime finds that time to be the richest points in a characters life... even when situations could USE maturity, they just toss in "A young man with an old soul", or something of the like.

I also think it's nice because... those who remember NES are about the age of these characters. If they pull out something nostalgic for the gamer, it's more like "Oh, they remember and like what I did" instead of "Oh, it's a 14 year olf who likes 80s collectables!".

Hm. Might back this, might not. Might just wait until it's available for purchase, I already have too much on my plate as is. Pulling for a good, solid game though.

Yeah, I understand that feeling! New systems, loads of games on current systems... it's getting kinda ridiculous. I'd be much more willing to support these recent KS booms much more, if they were better spaced out, and started to pop up over, say, the past 3 years, rather than all within the same 2 weeks...

Jobbs

Banned
Judging by their 3 day progress relative to their goal, I'd say this one has a low chance of being funded. If it fails, maybe next time focus on showing off gameplay in the video rather than telling jokes.

edit: not wishing for failure, just stating how things look. I'd probably buy this game if it were out.

ezekial45

Banned
Judging by their 3 day progress relative to their goal, I'd say this one has a low chance of being funded. If it fails, maybe next time focus on showing off gameplay in the video rather than telling jokes.

edit: not wishing for failure, just stating how things look. I'd probably buy this game if it were out.

Yeah, they need to show off the goods.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, they need to show off the goods.

while external events (massive unexpected media plugs, for instance) can save a campaign, I don't think changing the video would matter at this point. You don't get those first 2-3 days back, and those first 2-3 days are absolutely crucial. The activity of the typical KS without massive external factors changing them -- will be absurdly concentrated in the first couple days and the last couple days. I went through this myself. Relatively very little happens in the long slog in the middle.

I dunno. This looks like it may hit their relatively low goal.

$180k in 27 days? Already at $36k? Fair chance.

Jobbs

Banned
I dunno. This looks like it may hit their relatively low goal.

$180k in 27 days? Already at $36k? Fair chance.

Not impossible, but it's not an optimistic outlook. You want to have close to half your goal by now. Just going by the many many projects I've observed come and go, and from doing my own project.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They Yatagarasu: AoC IGG had me pretty worried in it's first few days / weeks too, as illustrated by this wonderful graph:

20130812100524-yatagarasu_IGG_result.jpg

The final amount raised was $118,243. The target was $68,000. So it went from weeks of "I don't know if we're going to make it!" to getting 174% of the goal in those last days.

I do wish RCR2 had something... lower? The craze always seems to come once the conversation gets past "will then even make it?!?" to crashin' into wondrous stretch goals... I wish their goal was something more like 80k.

I like their stretch plan; the idea that new talent would be employed to help fulfill each goal, and that this talent would be quality industry people... but we have a LONG way to go before it's time to even think about that.

akira28

These bitches are gonna get my moneys.

edit:
OH GOD I CAN TASTE IT!$!~#%$

Yeah, they might've overdone the pitch. Being too comical and all.

They should've let the game speak for itself and kept the jokes to a minimum.
I think it's because they're Canadian..?

The final amount raised was $118,243. The target was $68,000. So it went from weeks of "I don't know if we're going to make it!" to getting 174% of the goal in those last days.

I do wish RCR2 had something... lower? The craze always seems to come once the conversation gets past "will then even make it?!?" to crashin' into wondrous stretch goals... I wish their goal was something more like 80k.

The Yatagarasu game also had some weird wording claiming that no one on the staff was actually being paid, which is bullshit honestly.

180K for this is not a lot. People think it is because there are so many bad budgeters out there. So many Kickstarters made by people living with their parents who only ask for 7-10 grand for a year or more worth of work, lol.

I really hope this makes it.

What the hell is it with these River City sequels I could swear two were announced the past 5 years. I remember an old ass trailer which looked very different than this and was japanese made? The sprite art and animation looks good but terrible pitch video.

Tain

I've been down this road before, lol. I like beat 'em ups but I'm not crazy about River City Ransom in the first place and I tend to have really low expectations for beat 'em ups from unproven studios. That, and some of the art for this is seriously appalling.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Yatagarasu game also had some weird wording claiming that no one on the staff was actually being paid, which is bullshit honestly.

180K for this is not a lot. People think it is because there are so many bad budgeters out there. So many Kickstarters made by people living with their parents who only ask for 7-10 grand for a year or more worth of work, lol.

I dunno... JP game developers really seem to put forth a lot just for the sake of creating a product. I could see them being much like the Skullgirls team, which agreed to diminished wages in order to actually fund what they created, but even more extreme. Hotapen doesn't consider the game their "job"... just a garage project they want to make. Much like how people would make freebie flash games, with no real intent to make direct profit off of them...

But back to RCR2, I don't think it's a lot either, make no mistake. I just think Kickstarters start to draw more attention once the "exciting" phase begins. New characters, modes, music, art, etc. I really like the fact that these guys are making a game with so much content off the bat... but I also think they'd generate more attention, and generate a more consistent momentum, if, they started out with only "Alex" and "Ryan", and made additional characters / stages closely-knit stretch goals.

ZoddGutts

Game looks good. Seems they have enough for demo, they should get it out to Youtubers to help spread the word out like Shovel Knight and Divinity: Original Sin did. Pledges sky rocketed when they did that.

Game looks good. Seems they have enough for demo, they should get it out to Youtubers to help spread the word out like Shovel Knight and Divinity: Original Sin did. Pledges sky rocketed when they did that.

That would be cool. Game looks so dope and I'd love to see it streamed.

I started talking with the producer on the game a few months back and didn't know what to expect. The level of polish in this video is huge.

I think I might also be learning a lot about what works for KS videos...

Nearly a 3rd of the way there, and 25 days left? I hope this makes it. The Syndicate reboot had a similarly 'average' start (and I was deeply skeptical it would recover), and ended up reaching its goal several days before its deadline. Hopefully that happens with this project.

Perkel

Banned

Why is it bullshit ? If you have few friends that makes whole game you can really make game for food and little spending. Sure noone probably likes to not get paid "normal" money but people working on project will earn from final game sales. If game is good it could make them millionaires.

People think that creating game via professional company that has contract workers is such a big deal. Imo i think it is not. Because in the end it is company that earns real money not developer.

I think in future we will see professional agreement like developers which get together without company hiring them, create game and split fat loot after they will ship it.

That system should be way better financially for developers themselves,

Woo, just passed 60K!

Destructoid just posted about the game too!

*note, I'm just excited about the game and have no real tie to it other than thinking it looks dope*

Vandole

I'm very surprised they've made $60K so far. Compared to the WayForward campaign for Shantae and the Mighty 9 campaign, this one looks real amateurish (which when you read their story does make sense). No definite plans for a console version isn't helping them either. I guess that shows just how much the fanbase wants a sequel. I hope they pull it off. Looks decent so far.

EDIT: Ahhhh just saw the PS4 and Vita goals. Well, those are two systems I don't own and don't plan on owning anytime soon. Oh well, I'll keep waiting to see if they expand onto other platforms.

Lucent

lol wow! I loved this game as a kid. I was sold after the first few seconds of fighting in the video. That breakdancing fighting style. I'm so backing this lol. =D

I'm very surprised they've made $60K so far. Compared to the WayForward campaign for Shantae and the Mighty 9 campaign, this one looks real amateurish (which when you read their story does make sense). No definite plans for a console version isn't helping them either. I guess that shows just how much the fanbase wants a sequel. I hope they pull it off. Looks decent so far.

EDIT: Ahhhh just saw the PS4 and Vita goals. Well, those are two systems I don't own and don't plan on owning anytime soon. Oh well, I'll keep waiting to see if they expand onto other platforms.

What do you own? I'm guessing a computer?

Also after the KS is over, I'm sure the game could expand if platform holders want to help out..

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I pledged the minimum, and while I love RCR and Technos classics, in general, this game looks almost too aggressive and the attacks too forward-moving compared to the original, like it's in perpetual rushdown mode. Maybe it's just the little bit they showed in the pitch for illustrative purposes, but I hope the fighting doesn't become so effectively ruled by just relying upon cross-screen mashing. Also, there had better be plenty of grapples and more mean 'n gritty moves that, to me, define the style of Technos' best efforts, like classic DD and the original RCR/Kunio games. Not sure they'll reach their target, but can't hurt to support them early on.

Yeah. Too many of these revival efforts miss the point of how the old games structured the fighting engine.

I don't trust this as shown at all. It looks to be dead shallow.

Lyot

game looks terribly sloppy compared to the original. Also, I don't like at all that bitmap style, ala Scott Pilgrim.

The whole project doesn't give me good vibes to be honest.

Hargenx

I'm all there for old-school, but this one don't touch m,e on the right spot, as someone sad here before, I'm totally up for founding the 3DS one come to west.

NotSelf

game looks terribly sloppy compared to the original. Also, I don't like at all that bitmap style, ala Scott Pilgrim.

The whole project doesn't give me good vibes to be honest.

Initially when I first saw it I had the same feeling compared to the original underground is much more detail especially the character animations.But after giving it some time it's grown on me.

I'm very optimistic about underground and looking forward to exploring a more expansive river city:)

NotSelf

New update:

Yoshihisa Kishimoto is now the creative consultant should be interesting to see how much the game actually changes now.

Yeah, though he was also creative consultant on DD Neon and it is very distinctly it's own game, though Majesco was a part of that too.

Almost at 70K, awesome.

I'm sure a lot of what is being shown is just that, for show. Bombastic moves made to look cool. A game that will have a Beta (and a team that is open to feedback, like this team obviously is) will be great to allow the team to get feedback from players.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Glad to see it's at the Half-way point! There's just... not much else to discuss between these points. Though the Greg Winters cover art reveal is pretty nice!

Some real Legit 80's style cover art, rather than just making an obvious "Bad Box Art Megaman" joke out of it.

cover-teaser.jpg

I actually remember his AvP art pretty well:

Greg-Winters-ALIEN-V-PREDATOR-Video-Game-800x596.jpg

AvP.jpg

Top Bottom