• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q1 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

New year, new thread! Happy 2014, Everyone!

Official camera equipment thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144603

A couple from Q4 2013
Today I took my parents mushroom hunting.

10117614363_f66344d2d0_b.jpg

10117475665_a615bbd76e_b.jpg

10117582075_5f4d07a5cc_b.jpg

Well it was a nice and warm day in the woods. :p

Fëanor;85270723 said:
dsc_8436hekay.jpg

Nashville

Then I took a quick joyride with the GoPro. Not bad I think.

g0098932j2ku6.jpg

g0109021objql.jpg

g0109078yjjhk.jpg

g0129698pwk2v.jpg

My first post here so please be gentle haha

Made these with my new Pentax K-30 and my Sigma 70-300 APO

10508658425_50eea973dghkjz.jpg

10508713655_de9083ea01hjap.jpg

10508866503_64f635ce4uwj2q.jpg
Here are some pics I took on my recent trip to Seattle. Taken with my noobish Canon T3.

Cityscape
_MG_1558_zps71436ec7.png

Cityscape II
_MG_1676_zpsa7601997.png

Gum Wall
IMG_1417_zps66e0ad2f.png

Gasworks Park
IMG_1671_zps9f51a96a.png

Gasworks Park II
IMG_1604_zps694aed6d.png

Sony A7 & FE 28-70mm

11503283866_7bb7f69613_b.jpg

11503272654_e7ea0a9484_b.jpg

11503341343_9ea5ccc982_b.jpg

Close the thread if I stole it from someone :)

So, bringing up a question from the last thread, Canon EOS 60D or Rebel T5i for film making and general photography?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
My first few photos from 2014... are from 2013! Still working through shots from my road trip through Oregon last summer. Beautiful place.

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

Tekniqs

posted this in q4 thread...took it on jan 3

dXv3m2K.jpg

took this while riding a boat back to Iloilo from Guimaras. Awesome weather in the Philippines

any tips/improvements? i'm a total noob with this stuff and want to learn. did some stuff on it with Lightroom. I'm not sure if the "path" i took was the right one lol.

here's the original

3qcVmYi.jpg

hEist

11805058063_bded2ae87c_z.jpg

posted this in q4 thread...took it on jan 3

took this while riding a boat back to Iloilo from Guimaras. Awesome weather in the Philippines

any tips/improvements? i'm a total noob with this stuff and want to learn. did some stuff on it with Lightroom. I'm not sure if the "path" i took was the right one lol.

here's the original

Honestly? I do like the original more. The colors are much better i think in there. Sure, it is a bit darker, but still.

Damn it. My T3i won't get in till tomorrow.

Look at all these awesome photos...that I can't take.

Edit: Most people I know for film use a mix of the T3i/60D and some big heavy non-DSLRs if they can afford it. Especially for film crews. I don't know anyone who owns a T5i at the campus but i'm sure at least 1 person does. There's a BG production group at BGSU that uses a mix of both camera types that I listed so it just depends on things.

Tekniqs

Honestly? I do like the original more. The colors are much better i think in there. Sure, it is a bit darker, but still.

I was starting to feel the same looking at them on this page lol. Is there a way to have both photos (original/edited) up in lightroom at the same time while editing?

dhlt25

some hiking pics, technically these were from december but only got them developed last week

this was a shot from my lomo camera, i thought it came out pretty cool

this shot was taken in a really dark room with my yashica iso400 film, surprise how well it turned out even with all the noise. For comparison I have to use iso 1000 and 1.4 to shoot in the same lighting

Tugatrix

This Christmas I receive a Canon 600D and I have been trying out with the Camera, The new camera really improved my photos, before that i used my phone to take pictures. So how do I share here the photos I have been posting on my flickr?

My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/104232978@N03/

edit: i figure it out

11894788584_87e54c3afa_z.jpg

11895205786_c645b450dd_z.jpg

11894894283_a808347c4f_z.jpg

11894970414_88bdf11590_z.jpg

11894715983_b96ccd1848_z.jpg

11894813494_490eae5de0_z.jpg

Some tips would be nice to improve my skills

Red

I've been doing a pathetic amount of photo-taking lately. I miss it.

hEist, your color correction remains impressive... I am not generally a fan but yours are so pleasant.

This single instagram photo is pretty much all I've done the past month. Sad.

In general I've been spending more time with iPhone photos than the more time-intensive 7D. Trying to push what I can do with more basic equipment. Plus it's quicker and easier to whip my phone out of my pocket than lug around a DSLR.

This one is older, taken in November. Did a few baby pictures for a friend. This was my favorite of the set:

hEist, if you don't mind me asking, do you have a very nice monitor you edit pictures on? I have a cheap Asus monitor that is fine for most things but I notice colors are sometimes very different on here than when they're viewed on something with a well-calibrated screen (like an iPad). It might be a minor thing but it bugs me.

Shiggie

I havent posted in a long while.
here are some of my Instagram and other stuff too.
iphone said:
iphone said:
iphone and diana double exposure app said:
35mm in camera said:
DSLR said:
DSLR said:
DSLR said:
DSLR said:
35mm said:
DSLR said:
DSLR said:
DSLR said:
4x5 in camera double exposure said:
4x5 said:

Mix

Found a Polaroid and a Nikon that I really like at a flea market in La Verna, Texas not far from where I live, I'm gonna go pick those up on Saturday, I'm pretty excited about that. Once I get them I'll post pictures and eventually, pictures I'll have taken with them.

hEist

hEist, your color correction remains impressive... I am not generally a fan but yours are so pleasant.

hEist, if you don't mind me asking, do you have a very nice monitor you edit pictures on? I have a cheap Asus monitor that is fine for most things but I notice colors are sometimes very different on here than when they're viewed on something with a well-calibrated screen (like an iPad). It might be a minor thing but it bugs me.

thanks for the kind words.
well, it is an old image but i wanted to try some "new" processing and testing some things out. like here (before&after)

i don't have any nice monitor to be honest, i'm just using a Samsung '27 A350H on my mac mini. I didn't changed any color or something like that. I also use a MacBook Air. That's all. Sometimes i forgot to deactivate f.lux, before processing and need to start again from new.

And there is also one thing: i'm colorblind.
so it often happens, that people see the images not like me. I thought that i am not sooo blind, but after i edited some kenya pictures and went trough them with my girlfriend, she asked me about some "illusions/bad spots" on the images and i couldn't see them. ON that day i realized, that i sometimes see my pictures different than other peoples.

Aesius

I used to be big into photography from around 2005-2009 or so. Lost interest in it after I had to sell my D200 to pay rent. Sad story.

Anyway, I recently bought a D3200 and a 35mm f/1.8 lens to play around and try to rekindle my interest. Here's a few shots I got at a Beatles tribute concert I went to last weekend. Almost all of these shots are wide open @ f/1.8. I probably could have went up to f/2.8 or so, but I'm still getting used to the fact that shooting @ ISO 1600 isn't my absolute limit.

Cs5U20h.jpg

I9fWbVQ.jpg

XieXia7.jpg

kAwUpF6.jpg

aqKLV9X.jpg

v38wJAM.jpg

mmgInUJ.jpg

Would have liked to have my old 50mm f/1.8, or even an 85mm, but those purchases will have to wait for now.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Subscribed! Haven't shot in a while, but glad to see this thread going and going. Does Photo-GAF still run the photo contests?

We haven't been for months, but there's no reason we couldn't start up again if enough people were interested! :)

Red

I'd be in for a competition.

@hEist:
I am surprised to hear you're colorblind. Your color correction seems so precise I never would have thought you had difficulty perceiving it.

Happy new year photogaf!

The opening of the new central library in Birmingham gave me a good opportunity to get out and grab some photos on my x100s:

hEist

I'd be in for a competition.

@hEist:
I am surprised to hear you're colorblind. Your color correction seems so precise I never would have thought you had difficulty perceiving it.

yeah, i was also kinda surprised as my girlfriend mentioned the color flaws.
doc told me 10 years ago, that i have a slightly colorblindness, but it never occurred to me so far. After my girlfriend mentioned it, i did this "color dot tests" and well... i was kinda shocked. Also: i can't see the whole beauty of a freaking rainbow i realized -_-

Mix

yeah, i was also kinda surprised as my girlfriend mentioned the color flaws.
doc told me 10 years ago, that i have a slightly colorblindness, but it never occurred to me so far. After my girlfriend mentioned it, i did this "color dot tests" and well... i was kinda shocked. Also: i can't see the whole beauty of a freaking rainbow i realized -_-

Rainbows are overrated, 5/10

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy. *bow*

Here are a few okay shots of the Texas capitol in Austin. Camera=Nikon D3200 with a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens.

I'm a n00b in multiple ways so let me know if I'm violating some limit with number of pictures per post, photo size, over-zealous use of lightroom, etc etc

I really enjoy photography. I'm not a man of finer tastes, but after I build up a nice nest egg I'd like to travel with a future version of the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S and a better DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom