• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you didn't play because of their art style

Afrodium

Banned
Deus Ex: human Revolution is supposed to be good, but I can't stand its dated as fuck late nineties cyberpunk look. It's such a corny and ugly style and I don't want to look at for 30+ hours.

sublimit

Banned
Really? I thought it was absolutely amazing. One of the most visually impressive games I've ever played.

For me, it's probably the Atelier games. They sound interesting but I just can't get over the pedoriffic aspect to these games. No, I don't want to see a 12 year old girl's asscrack.

K3uEWXm.jpg

Is that a default clothes set or something optional?

You're presenting a false dichotomy. I can love highly stylized games with unique art direction and still find depictions of sexualized young girls disgusting.

And I can enjoy cute artstyles without being a rapist pedophile, much to the surprise of many people here it would seem. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Dislike 'anime' art all you want, that's fine. Individual taste doesn't bother me in the slightest, but the people who try to justify it by claiming 'because I'm not a dirty pedo like those FREAKS that do like it' are stepping over a line and need to get a grip on life.

bigjig

Pretty much anything with that American-style cartoony look, from Dragon Age Inquisition to Sunset Overdrive and The Sims 4. Just can't stand that plasticky look of the faces.

kevm3

That new vandal hearts game... why they turned the rawness and grittiness of the original vandal hearts into a harry potter srpg is something I'm trying hard to figure out.

I've been trying to play ultima 7, which is supposedly awesome, but it has some of the ugliest graphics I've ever seen.

I always disliked how the Kongs looked in the Donkey Kong Country games, they just look like a bunch of moving turds in my opinion. Because of this I never could finish any of the original three games.

My biggest beef with these kinds of anime designs is how all the characters designs are elaborate as fuck but the world is so bland and boring looking. Like Dragon Quest but without its charm.

Final Fantasy seems to be the only jrpg series that subverts this. Becautiful world and monster designs

mattp

Tried playing Stick it to the Man which I downloaded with PS+ and I couldn't handle the artstyle. Deleted it about 15 minutes in.

Also, did about the same thing with Don't Starve. It was a mixture of art and sound in that one though.

i think the art in both of these games is incredibly appealing haha

Skyrim. I mean, it wasn't the only thing to put me off of the game, but its utterly, disgustingly generic art style made it very difficult to find anything to like about it visually.

It's a shame, really, because one of the reasons I bought it was because Prequel sold me on the universe. It just turns out that Prequel also has its own art style that looks infinitely better...

And I can enjoy cute artstyles without being a rapist pedophile, much to the surprise of many people here it would seem. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Dislike 'anime' art all you want, that's fine. Individual taste doesn't bother me in the slightest, but the people who try to justify it by claiming 'because I'm not a dirty pedo like those FREAKS that do like it' are stepping over a line and need to get a grip on life.

It's hard to deny that a large portion of Japanese illustrations that we're exposed to in the west are very controversial in nature. Depictions of sexualized minors tend to get lumped in with the larger "anime" term by individuals and the media.

Define "cute" anime.

kevm3

I played it for a while, but the faces in Oblivion were unbelievably ugly... so ugly it could draw you out of the game world
oblivion_emp.jpg

Foxix Von

I avoided Bioshock Infinite like the plague at launch because I thought it was hideous looking.

I eventually played it after going free on PS+ though.

Now I still avoid it like the plague.

plufim

Dust is unfortunate in that the sprite character models look fine, but the up close art in the dialogue is pretty poor. The game would be improved without them.

But god damn is the Neversoft character art just terrible across the board. Those Injustice models are abhorrent.

Souls series. Would really like to get into them but each time I've started the art style has been so off putting I've stopped. Gothic, giant armor stuff really doesn't appeal to me at all. Gameplay is pretty fun and rewarding though. Shame (for me) that Bloodborne has a similar look.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Binding of Issac is just gross, I really don't like playing it. It's a shame because it's kinda fun too.

Dust for sure, not only visual but the voices are terrible as well, like a child cartoon, its a instant no go for me. Same with that Sly character, cant remember which one, but is horrendous for me.

Most of exaggerated extravagant Japanese games, like Bayonetta, I played, I know its a good game, but I cant stand that visuals, attitude etc.

Same with childish themed games, like most of Nintendo catalogue.

The same happen with US marines and militar themed games, I skip it by default, but I've made a effort for some rare jewels like Spec Ops.

I reckon there is a lot of good games that I'm probably missing, but this themes are not for me, hard to digest for my personal taste.

Griss

Contra 4 on the DS is a strong one, for me. Booted it up and couldn't believe how bad it looked, could never get used to it despite people saying it was a decent game. Yoshi's Island DS was another one. It was horrible to look at. If it hadn't been I might have stuck with it. Steel Diver goes in this category too. Ugly as balls.

Those are all pretty obvious, though. A strong one for me that everyone else seems to love is Okami. I can't stand the artstyle, it's blurry and grainy. It's based around an real life art-style I have no real love for and I don't think it worked well for a game. Really ugly game, and combined with the wordiness it pretty much ensured that my 3 (three!) efforts to play the game (even the HD version) would be fruitless.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Final Fantasy IX

FFIX_Character_Height_Comparisons_1.jpg

I could forgive FFVII for it due to being a early PS1 game, but I absolutely cannot stand stylized, super-deformed characters designs. What makes it worse for me is that IX's story is apparently one of the darkest in the series, so it just makes the design choice all the more jarring for me.

A lot I can agree with in this thread. Bioware games (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), Dust, El Shaddai, Injustice, Street Fighter IV, and Darksiders.

Final Fantasy IX though? By far the best looking PS1 FF game.

Prelude.

Really? I thought it was absolutely amazing. One of the most visually impressive games I've ever played.

For me, it's probably the Atelier games. They sound interesting but I just can't get over the pedoriffic aspect to these games. No, I don't want to see a 12 year old girl's asscrack.

http://i.imgur.com/K3uEWXm.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you don't want to look at fictional characters' asscracks why are you making them wear a bikini?

I can't stand this style. So ugly

I tried a demo for Darksiders, don't know if that counts.

iQ8rytVGuiwVh.jpg

Absolutely disgusting Todd McFarlene-knockoff gothic overdone mess of an art-style. I find the artwork above hideous, and since this was more of a mid-tier last gen game, it wasn't going to fully live up to the artwork either. The demo wasn't fun to me and I've never had any desire to seek this out, even after hearing praise for it. The art style wasn't the sole reason, but I believe it played a considerable part.

Pretty much this. Overdesigned, big, bulky armors and meatheaded characters.

So basically Epic and some comic artists.

Well I never really didn't play a game because of its artstyle but it can be a huge damper for my enjoyment of games. The worst offender in my eyes is the entire Unreal Engine 3 bar some exceptions:

qAkLRtc.jpg

It started with Roboblitz over UT3 and continued with the Arkham games and it wasn't till TERA and Blade & Soul till I could find it somewhat good looking but overall I think the games made with the engine usually lack colors and have a weird shiny and plastic-y feel :/

EDIT: And I feel somewhat the same about the NSBU series and also Battlefield 3.

Puru

Hating a game art style because of a DLC costume, didn't thought the bar could go that low, i should really just set it to minus infinity once and for all.

As for games i never played because of their art style... none, i'm not a fan of testosterone heavy western games (gears of war for example) or barely legal looking anime waifu material filled games or many other art direction but i would be a fool to stop myself because of that.

Yuuichi

Ugh. I can't stand this trend of super-moe anime characters.

Not sure you're avatar puts you in much better of a place, though I'll admit compile heart could hire a real writer from the few hours I've suffered through.

Well I never really didn't play a game because of its artstyle but it can be a huge damper for my enjoyment of games. The worst offender in my eyes is the entire Unreal Engine 3 bar some exceptions:

qAkLRtc.jpg

It started with Roboblitz over UT3 and continued with the Arkham games and it wasn't till TERA and Blade & Soul till I could find it somewhat good looking but overall I think the games made with the engine usually lack colors and have a weird shiny and plastic-y feel :/

Never fear, the default Unreal 3 shader is here! It tends to do that, not so much the colors, but the strange sort of plastic-y feel is very much its fault.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Super Meat Boy.

I'm a huge fan of precision platformers, but I just do not like the way it looks. :/

Soriku

My biggest beef with these kinds of anime designs is how all the characters designs are elaborate as fuck but the world is so bland and boring looking. Like Dragon Quest but without its charm.

Final Fantasy seems to be the only jrpg series that subverts this. Becautiful world and monster designs

Games like that have a character focus but a limited budget, so characters look good but environments look OK.

Never fear, the default Unreal 3 shader is here! It tends to do that, not so much the colors, but the strange sort of plastic-y feel is very much its fault.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this, that's exactly what bothers me the most! The UE2 was perfectly fine so I'm curious if I will be able to stand the UE4 when the first commercial games come out.

Trickster

I was having trouble coming up with anything I haven't played because of the art style. But this might be a good example. I tend to not play games that are anime based, and especially not moe based. Like, I won't even bother trying to find out what the game is about, I just assume it's some shitty anime game with lots of shitty fanservice.

TitanFall. It's a weird mix of textures, image quality and art direction making it way too baroque to pull off what they were planning on doing. Not that the actual concept is ambitious, per se, but if they had stuck to a more minimalist art direction and focused more on the actual silhouettes / design of the mechs and pilots to make them seem more defined, it would have turned out better. As-is it seems like an overly busy halfway point between Call of Duty and Battlefield.

K3uEWXm.jpg

Atelier games are fantastic, that's just a DLC costume. I personally prefer Totori's default look.

Top Bottom