• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante Presents: FFXIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha

Parsnip

Have some quick and dirty horribly sharpened ones back but at a third of the file size.
15516043405_7c07a67fe7_o.png

Get the size down without losing detail shouldn't be an issue but if you can't change the dimensions of the file then there's only so much you can do (and I've had way too many head aches with modding Pro Evo in the past with silly things like this).

Ah. The problem with gui elements specifically is that they are in an archive inside another, bigger archive. The quickbms script for ps3 could probably re-import on the big archive, but as far as I'm aware there's no such script for the smaller ones. Noesis can view and export small archives, but not re-import.

The guy who did the zero suit boob mod for xiii-2 was working on some kind of tool I think but it doesn't seem like he released it.

At this point I'm just grabbing the textures in preparation, so to speak.
For anyone interested, here's everything from system.win32.xgr/imgb combo http://sta.sh/0e9t6kabkvd. There's plenty more stuff in the gui folder but I'm not going to zip all of it up. This file seems to have the most important icons and such.

I've pushed a small bugfix update and wrote about texture modding here.
Thanks for all the hard work.

Dr Dogg

Ah. The problem with gui elements specifically is that they are in an archive inside another, bigger archive. The quickbms script for ps3 could probably re-import on the big archive, but as far as I'm aware there's no such script for the smaller ones. Noesis can view and export small archives, but not re-import.

The guy who did the zero suit boob mod for xiii-2 was working on some kind of tool I think but it doesn't seem like he released it.

For anyone interested, I'm compiling a zip with all the gui stuff from the PC version of FF13, it's mostly dds files and couple pngs.

Hahaha ah ok.

It's with things like this that are on one texture sheet which I've found to be the most problematic. Sometimes stuff needs to be at the exact location and at the exact size or you get the wrong element coming through. But hey as with everything trial and error is the only way to find out how a game handles them. Lots of trial and error usually too.

Looks like Durante fixed the full screenshot function.

Each shot at this point is 40 MB, after reducing the resolution, and using File Optimizer I get it down to just a few.

I get 31.6mb for 3840x2160 shots and 56.2mb for 5120x2880 shots. I think Durante mentioned 60mb is about the limit. My maths are failing to be bothered to work this out but 5760x3240 will come out to big to save for me.

Anteater

Looks like Durante fixed the full screenshot function.

yeaah the screenshot function didn't work for me in the last update, I've been doing it the hard way and toggle hud, pause the game and wait for the gedosato prompt to disappear to take screenshots

it's perfect now! thanks Durante!

edit: I'm also using this program to remap the xbox controller's guide button for screenshot, it didn't work with afterburner for whatever reason but it works perfectly with gedosato

http://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/1goval/any_way_to_map_the_middle_xbox_360_button/camujj7

MaLDo

Alo81 suggested earlier that it might be the InjectPSHash, so I ran the game without it and it seems to push my framerate up, I'm not 100% sure though until others have tested it, although it would explain why I thought it was smoother without gedosato before, glad I wasn't crazy, although spells and other stuff still drops it to 30fps so I'm still going to have to lock it at 30.

Yeah I'm ok with playing it at 30fps, feels like the ps3 ver and 30 doesn't really bother me since it's just selecting menu items and stuff and not an action game, plus it looks pretty as hell.

I did a few test and the problem is not GeDoSaTo but the game. You can't see big performance hits without GeDoSaTo because the HUD performance problem is smaller in 720p.

Something is wrong in the game, and the problem is into the numbers that show the attacks results. The more numbers on screen, the bigger performance hit.

I have 60 fps without numbers. 57-58 with one number, 42-45 with 3 and 30 with more. Also, the performance hit is bigger if the numbers are near the camera and less if they are far away.

Gbraga

I did a few test and the problem is not GeDoSaTo but the game. You can't see big performance hits without GeDoSaTo because the HUD performance problem is smaller in 720p.

Something is wrong in the game, and the problem is into the numbers that show the attacks results. The more numbers on screen, the bigger performance hit.

I have 60 fps without numbers. 57-58 with one number, 42-45 with 3 and 30 with more. Also, the performance hit is bigger if the numbers are near the camera and less if they are far away.

That I noticed. I hope they fix this if they ever fix anything. Right now we're probably better off with GeDoSaTo for graphics than we would be with official dev support anyway. We probably wouldn't have better shadows or AA options at all, just resolution (and possibly only up to 1080p)

Anteater

it's hard to test especially with the camera zooming in and out and characters doing different stuff :(

but yeah like you said it's definitely a problem with the stuff popping up on screen, it's like everything you do is going to tank the framerate, it's just that it's hard to tell what it is because every action seems to have a pop up with damage numbers or spell/ability display.

Alt+tab still crashes...

The game is crashing on my end with alt-tab even without gedosato, so I've stopped alt-tabbing and I'm just going to blame the game :p

tengiants

I finally have some good settings that where even though I get some frame dips from 60, they at least happen smoothly thanks to some tips from Durante and Zexen. I am now enjoying the game with a smooth framerate at what is roughly 5K.

I strongly suggest trying Window Borderless Gaming as Zexen and Durante have mentioned. Zexen's post is here for anyone that missed it. It has dramatically increased the framerate for me.

Thanks, I knew already, but wanted to compare it 'out of the box' with nothing forced.

Out of the box, FFXIII uses 4xMSAA but no AF.

Side note, anyone gotten Vsync to work on this game with an AMD card? Tried forcing it and double vsync in radeon pro and I'm still getting tearing up the whazzoo.

Mkilbride

Banned
Have you tried disabling HID-Compliant Devices as per this advice?

Uh, that is just an awful, awful idea. Terrible advice by whoever gave it. This will basically disable any USB stuff. Disables your mouse, keyboard if it's USB, controller if it's USB.

I hope someone makes some PS3 Interface icons, real quick, sharp ones. Hate these Xbox controller prompts, it's obnoxious.

vientown

Neo Member
i've tried everything, tried running it at 2561 x 1441, and i still get a bouncing framerate. i finally got it to go over 30, but it's not locked at 60 and i'm only around 30% gpu utilization!

is my cpu just really bad? this is really disheartening. my cpu is an AMD FX-6300.

i've tried everything, tried running it at 2561 x 1441, and i still get a bouncing framerate. i finally got it to go over 30, but it's not locked at 60 and i'm only around 30% gpu utilization!

is my cpu just really bad? this is really disheartening. my cpu is an AMD FX-6300.

I think is not really a matter of specs, rather than there's some bug in the engine that produces those bounces on the FPS. I don't think you can do anything until SE fixes it. But I don't think they will ever will.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Have you set your GPU to always use maxmium performance? It's basically required for this game.

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
Uh, that is just an awful, awful idea. Terrible advice by whoever gave it. This will basically disable any USB stuff. Disables your mouse, keyboard if it's USB, controller if it's USB.

I hope someone makes some PS3 Interface icons, real quick, sharp ones. Hate these Xbox controller prompts, it's obnoxious.

I don't know, I recall doing the same thing to improve performance in F.E.A.R. It definitely worked and my USB mouse/keyboard still worked fine.

Mkilbride

Banned
I wish they'd pull a CD Projeckt red.

Back when The Witcher released. It was a buggy mess. Just an awful, awful game, nearly unplayable in terms of bugs and optimization.

A year alter, they released the Enhanced Edition, a huge 7-8GB patch, an insane size for 2007, that replaced the entire game almost. It's performance shot up more than double, bugs were fixed, lines were re-recorded, and new content was added. It was literally a dev going "Ok, we fucked up guys, here."

They did that again with The Witcher 2. I wish moe devs would be willing to admit they fucked up.

Have you set your GPU to always use maxmium performance? It's basically required for this game.

Nearly identical setup to the person you quoted, and yeah forcing the GPU to not drop down doesn't change the fact that it only uses about 20-30% of a GPU at any time with 30fps drops (and sometimes lower). I'm at the point where I'm going to just disable the FPS counter, lock at 30fps, and just pretend I'm playing an HD PS3 version... except that Vsync isn't working for me either and that screen tearing is a total bitch.

tengiants

It's likely not your CPU either. That's what I suspected too because I have an old quadcore Phenom ~2.6 Ghz but after monitoring it while playing, it only gets about 60% utilization during heavy combat when I see the frame rate drop significantly.

There's something weird with the way specific things are rendered I think that causes everything else to slow down. Things like bouncing combat numbers as other have mentioned. The only thing I've found that makes the game appear smooth all the time is to play using that Windowed Borderless Gaming application I mentioned above, that Durante had mentioned earlier in the thread. My GTX 770 is a decent card, but now even with my weak CPU, I can play with 5k downsampling, 4x anti aliasing (all set via GeDoSaTo ffxiii settings btw, NVIDIA settings are now to use application controlled settings) at a visibly smooth frame rate (mostly 60, even in lake bresha).

Mkilbride

Banned
Alright, so I used that program devcon + script to disable the HID. Things seemed smooth. However, it's stuck in windowed / low resolution, so it's not like I can tell. It never dipped below 60FPS, though my GPU usage was huge. 70%+ staring at nothing.

Basically the script starts the thing in the fffxiiiimg director, so it's auto-windowed.

It's likely not your CPU either. That's what I suspected too because I have an old quadcore Phenom ~2.6 Ghz but after monitoring it while playing, it only gets about 60% utilization during heavy combat when I see the frame rate drop significantly.

There's something weird with the way specific things are rendered I think that causes everything else to slow down. Things like bouncing combat numbers as other have mentioned. The only thing I've found that makes the game appear smooth all the time is to play using that Windowed Borderless Gaming application I mentioned above, that Durante had mentioned earlier in the thread. My GTX 770 is a decent card, but now even with my weak CPU, I can play with 5k downsampling, 4x anti aliasing (all set via GeDoSaTo ffxiii settings btw, NVIDIA settings are now to use application controlled settings) at a visibly smooth frame rate (mostly 60, even in lake bresha).

I tried the borderless window program and all it resulted in was me losing 3/4ths of the screen and still get the same frame rate.

tengiants

I tried the borderless window program and all it resulted in was me losing 3/4ths of the screen and still get the same frame rate.

Interesting. I saw that too when I hadn't configured the borderless window program correctly. It was a pain to setup. Maybe there is still something off with your configuration in either GeDoSaTo or the borderless window program.

One thing that gave me a hint to keep tweaking was that I set to everything to "application controlled" in my nvidia settings, except I put vsync on "adaptive", and saw the game run much much smoother, even stock 720p. I'd suggest playing that way if it works for you and you can't get anything else to work. Even though there was a lot of tearing, it was at least smoother than the jittering I was getting.

No amount of tweaking is enabling Vsync, which is honestly the only thing keeping me from playing at this point. I don't need 4k at 60fps, though by judging from this thread there is no reason why my machine CAN'T get that... I just want 1080p with vsync... this is driving me crazy.

Mkilbride

Banned
That looks pretty bad. Is the framerate drops because of you recording?

I'm normally around 58-60.

The video makes it look worse than it is - but it shows the problem regardless.

When the FPS in this game fluctuates, you get the annoying judder, hence why most are capping @ 30.

I tried the disable HID devices thing. It seems to have helped a little bit. But I still see it, nowhere near as often though.

Damn, the sahdow resolution thing is intense, it's like from 2 to 4, I see an additional 20% GPU usage...

Fred Fredriksson

Unconfirmed Member
thanks durante, you are a genius!

i can play 2160p/60 on a i5-3450, 8gb ram and a 7870 and its super-smooth!

what a georgeous game and you made this happen!

thematic

arrrgh
at Sunleth Waterscape, I only get 30fps. the judder is very very annoying

I only use 1080p, no downsampling
anyone @60 at this place?

Kuga

Looks beautiful. Thank you Durante!

The game was micro-stuttering consistently every second or so until I plugged in a controller (DS4; Windows immediately registered it as an HID-compliant device). Everything now appears to be significantly less choppy - in the game and during cutscenes. What an asinine reason for engine issues.

thematic

I get 60 here but there's clearly more drops compared to the previous zones (at 4K).

up until 1st Sazh flashback it's almost constant 30
after that mostly 60 except a few places/angles

GPU/CPU still under utilized, hope tomorrow they announce a patch or something

legacyzero

Banned
I was sad about the "Done for the week" thing, until I re-read it, it is Sunday, so Monday is a new week. :p

Dude deserves a break. And a chance to enjoy the spoils of his work as well.

His blog says:

Talking about time, what I wrote about on the blog a few days ago regarding not really having any time due to “real world” workloads applies now even more than before — after I spent basically the entire weekend on FF13. Therefore, don’t expect updates from me until next weekend.

Take that break Durante. And the Internet thanks you.

Mkilbride

Banned
Oh I know, but I totally expect new updates during the week regardless of what he says. Maybe from other users, maybe from SE. Probably from Durante himself. He'll be all busy doing whatever he is doing(His real work, probably, the kind that pays), and come up with some brilliant new thing he can't wait to ship out that'll fix all our problems.

For anyone interested, here's everything from system.win32.xgr/imgb combo http://sta.sh/0e9t6kabkvd. There's plenty more stuff in the gui folder but I'm not going to zip all of it up. This file seems to have the most important icons and such.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Nice. I'll throw it into photoshop and make some PS buttons. :p

Top Bottom