• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante Presents: FFXIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha

TheTux

it seems to be either the graphic effects or the UI elements that are causing the drop I think, I took a video of the changes in framerate when I have the UI enabled/disabled:

http://a.pomf.se/nxghhs.webm

It's kind of silly, it like SE never actually tested the game at 60fps >_>

Wow, I tried disabling the HUD and I was able to 60 consistently throughout the battle

On the Steam forums a lot of people are reporting that without the HUD they can play at 60fps (30 otherwise) too.

^ They must have given up or just didn't even bother fixing the UI framerate issue. This is the last game I preorder from a Japanese developer. They're simply too incompetent and ignorant of PC. It boggles the mind to think of why a business can't do some simple market research or that they haven't even experienced playing on the platform enough.

I don't know how people can call 30 FPS 'silky smooth'.
Even if they release a patch next week?

Cerity

Anyone know if this was an issue on the console versions?
Xfw4kjf.jpg

Seems to be present sans-downsampling too.

OverQ

Damn.

The game finally looks great, and my FPS is mostly 60FPS.

However, the stutter is making it impossible to enjoy it.

It's like...it's super silky smooth. I wish I could record video of it, but my system is to weak to do that + game.

Hmm, maybe the better term would be micro-pausing? If people understand that better. I've tried the start game, esc, plug controller in, start game agian ,but it didn't fly for me.

Maybe I'll record the video on my camera and upload it so people can know exactly what I'm talking about. I am god awful at explaining things...though the video will look like crap, it's the easiest way to understand.

Have you tried disabling HID-Compliant Devices as per this advice?

Durante

So, about texture dumping: I got it to work to some extent, but FFXIII doesn't actually load the interesting textures using D3DX functions. So that won't help.

anyone try sweetFX on FFXIII ?
If you want that you should just use the GeDoSaTo built-in postprocessing. It will apply to the real rendering result (pre-downsampling) and won't affect the hud. Personally I think the color/contrast/etc. balance in this game is pretty much perfect in every scene though, that's one thing you can say for it.

Bittercup

So, about texture dumping: I got it to work to some extent, but FFXIII doesn't actually load the interesting textures using D3DX functions. So that won't help.
Do you think it's possible to add a function maybe similar to override textures when a video file is played to re-redirect to a different file? Replacing video files does work but the game expects the same size in those wmps that have multiple video files in it.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Question :

I have a Q6600 (quad core 2 duo) + 4GB DDR2 + 560Ti 1gb and NO ssd. Any GAFer with a similar combo ?

Any hope to get something decent outta the game + GeDaSeTo ?

Dr Dogg

Well got out of Lake Bresha and onto The Vile Peaks and was surprised when my framerate shot up. Lake Bresha is a lot more demanding than the opening areas and subsequently where I am now. Be interesting to see how the even more open areas perform later on but I think I've got a handle on settings for playability and screenshots now (even if 5120x2880 is the largest I can capture at full res).

UnrealEck

Even if they release a patch next week?

Yes. No point in gambling again when I can just wait a day or so to see the general consensus on a game's quality.
I really don't think they're going to patch the issues anyway.

Maybe that's why they cause such huge framedrops in combat for some?

If it was something like texture loading it wouldn't be such a recognisable pattern. The framerate tends to drop to a 30 cap and rise back to a 60 cap with certain issues (like the damage numbers).

The textures are able to be extracted elsewhere using QuickBMS and Noesis.

There was a little bit of work done in that regard with the 360 version, and the PC version uses an identical compression/decryption scheme.(I know, because I extracted all the files myself.)
I think the only thing I haven't worked out how to do is to re-inject the files, and Someone did seem to manage to do it (at least with 13-2, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQePZcDXUQ )

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Everyone who is getting framerate drops when there are HUD elements on the screen, have you tried commenting out the injectPSHash and seeing if that fixes it?

You won't be able to toggle off the HUD, but I remember in the past when messing with RE5 simply HAVING a PShash enabled - even when not disabling the HUD - it would have effects on performance.

Try commenting out the injectPSHash line and see what that does for performance.

RK9039

If you want that you should just use the GeDoSaTo built-in postprocessing. It will apply to the real rendering result (pre-downsampling) and won't affect the hud. Personally I think the color/contrast/etc. balance in this game is pretty much perfect in every scene though, that's one thing you can say for it.

Damn, thanks for this. Definitely going to mess around with it later tonight.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Damn, thanks for this. Definitely going to mess around with it later tonight.

By the way, you can grab the post.fx file from the assets folder and place it in the config/ffxiiimg folder and then that post processing will ONLY apply to FFXIII and you'll be able to create custom set ups for individual games.

Danlord

Is there something in the post processing that can cause performance hits (and locks fps to 30) . I have the asmodean setting and I really like the colour change but I don't see why that'd hit fps as it does,is there something additional in the post processing that's hitting the fps that I can disable?

RK9039

By the way, you can grab the post.fx file from the assets folder and place it in the config/ffxiiimg folder and then that post processing will ONLY apply to FFXIII and you'll be able to create custom set ups for individual games.

Nice, I will check that out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I downsample from 2561x1441 though, and my 560Ti can do 60fps consistently without the post-processing.

A 560ti is not going to run the game at 1440 with Asmodean post processing at 60fps, it's really as simple as that. It's performance expensive. If you want to try and get it running at 60 - tweak the settings. That has always been and will always be the best way to figure this stuff out. Find a compromise in the settings that will get you as close to the look you want without as large of an impact.

Danlord

A 560ti is not going to run the game at 1440 with Asmodean post processing at 60fps, it's really as simple as that. It's performance expensive. If you want to try and get it running at 60 - tweak the settings. That has always been and will always be the best way to figure this stuff out. Find a compromise in the settings that will get you as close to the look you want without as large of an impact.

Yeah cool, I've just updated GeDoSaTo so I'm going to go through my settings again and see if I can find the best compromise.

Anteater

Everyone who is getting framerate drops when there are HUD elements on the screen, have you tried commenting out the injectPSHash and seeing if that fixes it?

You won't be able to toggle off the HUD, but I remember in the past when messing with RE5 simply HAVING a PShash enabled - even when not disabling the HUD - it would have effects on performance.

Try commenting out the injectPSHash line and see what that does for performance.

http://a.pomf.se/mlyeom.webm

Update: it's not the injectPShash, but it seems that the game definitely performs differently with or without GeDoSato (tried it at 1280x720 for both), this clip is taken without gedosato scaling it, it could be the settings on my end but either way the game still runs like poop whenever there are actions.

There's nothing that can be done to make it run at a stable 60fps so I'm probably not going to keep messing with it and be happy with a 30 lock.

Gbraga

I dropped to 3200x1800 yesterday, and after I got past the lake, the framerate got back up to 60, so today I'm going back to 4K, MSAA 4 and Shadows 4 to see if it holds up well.

EDIT: You know what would be the best possible mod for this game? One that makes it so you don't have to watch the longer animation for your first paradigm switch in a battle.

If anyone's interested in trying out modding the game's files themselves:

QuickBMS:

The FFXIII Script:

[EDIT:] Argh. Banned site, apparrently. Just google "QuickBMS" and "quickBMS FFXII" for the files.

You'll need to make a copy and then rename \steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY XIII\white_data\sys\white_imgu.win32.bin to filelist_imgu.win32.bin, and point QuickBMS at it when it requests it. You'll need to do it again, but this time for filelist_scru.win32.bin for the other half of the archive. The first contains the audio, video, scripting and UI files, the second contains the Models, textures, and animations.

You can grab Noesis here:

http://www.richwhitehouse.com/index.php?content=inc_projects.php

But i'm not entirely too sure that it works quite yet, as I've been having issues extracting the models.

xBladeM6x

Just downloaded the game and applied Gedosato, and it's a stuttery, FPS dipping mess. Obviously I just need to put the settings a certain way, so what do I need to do in the Nvidia control panel / Gedosato?

Parsnip

The textures are able to be extracted elsewhere using QuickBMS and Noesis.

There was a little bit of work done in that regard with the 360 version, and the PC version uses an identical compression/decryption scheme.(I know, because I extracted all the files myself.)
I think the only thing I haven't worked out how to do is to re-inject the files, and Someone did seem to manage to do it (at least with 13-2, as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIQePZcDXUQ )

It's possible to re-import with quickbms, but it won't help because it can only be used to replace the files with ones that are either identical or smaller in size. So replacing the font with higher resolution font would naturally make the font texture bigger, and it wouldn't fit in its allocated space inside the archive. Afaik, we would need a repacker rather than re-importer, and I haven't seen one.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Just to put it into perspective -

Locked vanilla 1280x720 upscale. Ouch:
15328543990_2df121fabf_o.jpg

4K bicubic downsample, 8K shadows, 16xCSAA, 16xAnisotropic. Nice:
15514898292_7724aefe7b_o.jpg

s_mirage

Just downloaded the game and applied Gedosato, and it's a stuttery, FPS dipping mess. Obviously I just need to put the settings a certain way, so what do I need to do in the Nvidia control panel / Gedosato?

Depends on you graphics card. One thing you have to make sure of when downsampling is that the memory use doesn't exceed available VRAM. If it does the framerate will fall through the floor.

Also of note, I snooped around a bit inside the actual game data. I'm no expert, but with the tools that were built for PS3 version, you can kind of sort of get in there, though not quite. I'm not sure if the quickbms unpacking breaks it or if they changed the formats a little, but either way textures come out really weird colored when viewed through Noesis, and it also can't view the models like it does for the PS3 version. Sounds extracted fine it seems (ogg vorbis 128kbps average, yuck), so maybe they changed the models and texture packs in some way that Noesis doesn't quite understand.

Also, as far as I'm aware there's no repacker for the data. So even if you were able to extract fully functional stuff, you'd not be able to put it back in. quickbms does data re-import, but its limitation is that it can only re-import data that is of exact size or smaller than the original. So replacing models or having higher resolution textures that way wouldn't work, unless someone writes a proper repacker.

So at the moment it would seem like our only hope is GeDoSaTo texture dumping and overriding.

Ah, looks like we've come to the same conclusion.

Quick note, if you use this Python script for Noesis: http://www.mediafire.com/download/16ukneu191bfe0e/FF13_XGR-XFV.py
It renders most of the image files fine in their proper BIGENDIAN format.

However, it seems that any that were specifically created for the PC port (a.k.a the Controller, keyboard, and controller mapping images) come out both swizzled *and* in a different endian format altogether, [EDIT:] Also, Noesis still crashes trying to parse the .trb model files. meaning that some parts were indeed changed. We need to get someone who does this whole data decryption stuff to run things back for us, and hopefully possibly build a repacker, too. Any enterprising coders want to volunteer?

Getting random crashes during cutscenes currently. Other then that pretty impressed with my 6770. 1080p x 8MSAA. Framerate bounces around a bit but I will just lock it down to 30fps and should be fine.

xBladeM6x

Depends on you graphics card. One thing you have to make sure of when downsampling is that the memory use doesn't exceed available VRAM. If it does the framerate will fall through the floor.

GTX 980 SC. It's not getting anywhere near the VRAM limit. Still a stuttery mess / 60-30 fps at the moment. Downsampling from 4K, MSAA x8, Shadow res 2 in Gedosato. Is it recommended to stick with 30fps for now, or is there a way to get it to run at 60 just fine?

Parsnip

However, it seems that any that were specifically created for the PC port (a.k.a the Controller, keyboard, and controller mapping images) come out both swizzled *and* in a different endian format altogether
trbtex009_by_majorparsnip-d82jpvp.png

trbtex030_by_majorparsnip-d82jpz7.png

I haven't actually played the game much, but these look correct.

There's an easy trick to get noesis recognize the xgr and the corresponding imgb file and render the textures correctly without the python script. Just rename files from *.win32.* to *.ps3.*, and it works like a charm. Like, system.win32.xgr to system.ps3.xgr etc. Same works with the filelist and white_img etc archives as well.

It doesn't work with the models though.

Dr Dogg

Ok here's another video of me messing with the bottom menu in combat to see if they would have any effect on framerate:

http://a.pomf.se/qjvugo.webm

I get between 5-20% difference in GPU load disabling the HUD. Here's the thing though next to never is that the reason for my frame drops (full screen tutorials do but not the battle menu). Try having a look at a battle without doing anything, just stand there and let that doofus Snow take a beating and see if you get a stable framerate. Without doing anything my I fidget between 30 and 60 and never at full GPU load, sometimes no where near. Personally I've put 60fps to the side in favor off IQ. Which is a shame as the first area, The Hanging Edge performed really, really well for me.

Have some quick and dirty horribly sharpened ones back but at a third of the file size.
15516043405_7c07a67fe7_o.png

Get the size down without losing detail shouldn't be an issue but if you can't change the dimensions of the file then there's only so much you can do (and I've had way too many head aches with modding Pro Evo in the past with silly things like this).

Anteater

I get between 5-20% difference in GPU load disabling the HUD. Here's the thing though next to never is that the reason for my frame drops (full screen tutorials do but not the battle menu). Try having a look at a battle without doing anything, just stand there and let that doofus Snow take a beating and see if you get a stable framerate. Without doing anything my I fidget between 30 and 60 and never at full GPU load, sometimes no where near. Personally I've put 60fps to the side in favor off IQ. Which is a shame as the first area, The Hanging Edge performed really, really well for me.

Alo81 suggested earlier that it might be the InjectPSHash, so I ran the game without it and it seems to push my framerate up, I'm not 100% sure though until others have tested it, although it would explain why I thought it was smoother without gedosato before, glad I wasn't crazy, although spells and other stuff still drops it to 30fps so I'm still going to have to lock it at 30.

Yeah I'm ok with playing it at 30fps, feels like the ps3 ver and 30 doesn't really bother me since it's just selecting menu items and stuff and not an action game, plus it looks pretty as hell.

Dr Dogg

Alo81 suggested earlier that it might be the InjectPSHash, so I ran the game without it and it seems to push my framerate up, I'm not 100% sure though until others have tested it, although it would explain why I thought it was smoother without gedosato before, glad I wasn't crazy, although spells and other stuff still drops it to 30fps so I'm still going to have to lock it at 30.

Yeah I'm ok with playing it at 30fps, feels like the ps3 ver and 30 doesn't really bother me since it's just selecting menu items and stuff and not an action game, plus it looks pretty as hell.

No it's definitely the effects that pull me down as well. Don't have a bloody clue why either as I'm never close to my GPUs limits. Was tempted to try and get SLI up and running to see if that mitigates anything but eh I'll live with what I got.

I've pushed a small bugfix update and wrote about texture modding here.

Sadly, that's probably it for this week!

Dude you've done waaaay more than I think anyone would have dreamt of in a week. In 13 hours of play I've not experienced anything gamebreaking or glitchy at all and it looks fantastic as is at the moment. Only thing I'm a little sad about is that we don't get a Snoop Dogg x Lightning Blingee instructional gif.

xBladeM6x

I've settled on 30 FPS, just to avoid dips, but I get stutters every so often when there's particles and stuff, so I feel I might have a Nvidia Control Panel setting not set right. :eek:

Xyber

I've pushed a small bugfix update and wrote about texture modding here.

Sadly, that's probably it for this week!

You have done a great job getting it to this level already. Too bad the texture dumping is problematic, because that's really the only complaint I have left right now.

I hope there will be some official update for the performance problems though.

Top Bottom