• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante Presents: FFXIII resolution unlocking (GeDoSaTo plugin) released - pre-alpha

Danlord

SSD here. Battle transitions are instant (was there even a load time for them on PS3? I don't remember). For a save load, the load is instant, then the level load is ~6 seconds. Only tested the first area.

I report roughly the same loading times as you and I'm streaming from an External USB 3.0 HDD and the HDD inside is the PS4's stock 5400RPM drive. Loading is instant, and about 6 seconds to load to game, first level at the first save point.

s_mirage

Did that a long time ago. My GPU isn't downclocking itself, but like I said, usage never goes higher than 25-30% even when the framerate seems to be struggling.

Same here. The frame rate will come crashing down for no apparent reason and then recover. Happens if I run at 60 or lock it to 30. GPU utilization remains pretty constant throughout, and not high.

Has anyone been experiencing any crashes with the latest GeDoSaTo build? I can't be sure that it's GeDoSaTo because I'm also using borderless window gaming and radeon pro but despite fiddling with the options of all 3 I can't seem to shake it. The crashes appear to happen when something loads, at first the crashes would occur at the beginning of a fight but just now I was able to play for a good 30 minutes and then as it was about to load to an in game cutscene (I assume) it crashed.

Any guidance is appreciated, I think I'm going to monitor my vram usage because I read a few people talking about that earlier in the thread, but with a 3gb 7950 only downsampling from the default 3###x2### I wouldn't think that was the issue.

The_Monk

I'm very sorry for the ignorant question but when it comes to these things on PC I'm pretty amateur my good people.

The program is updated and the only thing I do is starting the game with the program running. I get some really nice visuals but at the cost of low frame rate. Is there a way to play the game at 1080p 60FPS or at least 1080p 30FPS? Right now I'm not looking at higher resolutions since I do not have a high end graphic card, unfortunately.

Do I need to change something in the Edit Settings, in here:

h1VOBp3l.png

If what I ask still needs more work from Durante than it's more than okay as I don't mind waiting, at all. Sorry if this is something very obvious for most but I need to learn more about editing such settings.

He's done a wonderful work so far and I truly have to thank him for such contribution to the community.Thanks in advance. By the way, not a single crash, AMD user here.

Nabs

Hey Monk, there's a drop down box at the bottom there. Look for ffxiiimg. You can adjust the res there.

Is there a way to play the game at 1080p 60FPS or at least 1080p 30FPS? Right now I'm not looking at higher resolutions since I do not have a high end graphic card, unfortunately.

On the bottom-left of that window, you'll see a dropdown menu. Click it and scroll until you see config\ffxiiiimg\GeDoSaTo.ini and select it.

Then, click the "U" button directly next to the dropdown menu and click "ok" at the confirmation.

Then, in the textbox that appears, copy and paste this code:

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a user config file override for config\ffxiiiimg\GeDoSaTo.ini
# Look in that file for possible settings and their documentation
# Add your custom settings below

renderResolution 1920x1080@60

Change the value to 1920x1080@30 to lock to 30fps if you want. Done!

ryan0991

Banned
You think SE will actually take note of the issues with this port and make sure XIII-2 and LR are better? Or will they just pretend nothing is wrong and give us two more turds?

My money is on the latter.

BONKERS

You think SE will actually take note of the issues with this port and make sure XIII-2 and LR are better? Or will they just pretend nothing is wrong and give us two more turds?

As much as I want to say no. I have to agree. :(

UnrealEck

They can't pretend since they already aknowledged that people wanted higher resolution options and that they read the Steam forums which are full of complaints regarding that and the performance of the game.

Cerity

I'd wait and see how SE react to the reception of this port before putting money anywhere. I haven't really seen how SE Japan handles things like this.

Thank you so much! I tried using both 30 and 60FPS but I noticed that the game still show some frame drops. But it's a bit better when I put it to 30FPS.

Also, when I start the game, is it normal that I still see that 3200x1800 > 1920x1080 line on the screen, on top?

Hmmm nope, it should show 1920x1080 -> 1920x1080.

Maybe the user settings aren't being loaded. Try changing the values in the normal ffxiii config (the config\ffxiiiimg\GeDoSaTo.ini item you selected before creating the user profile) to something like this:

Code:
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by GeDoSaTo and used to provide documentation

# This is a profile file for ffxiiiimg

## Rendering Resolution
# can't select res in-game so write it here
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 1920x1080@60

## Anti Aliasing
# MSAA sample count, default 4, other options: 2, 8
# higher = higher performance impact
MSAASampleCount 2
# Enable coverage sampling (CSAA on NV, EQAA on AMD) if HW supports it
# (improvement for small performance hit)
enableCoverageSampling false

## Shadow Resolution
# 1 = default
# sensible values: 2, 4, 8 (extreme)
# higher numbers = larger performance impact
shadowScale 1

## Required settings, don't change
injectPSHash 1329c9bf
forceRenderRes true
maxScreenshotParallelism -1

That should force it to use 1920x1080.

BONKERS

Welp, I can tell you that after 5+ hours of testing> HBAO+ is impossible in Final Fantasy XIII.

Either it only AO's characters, or it does both, or only shades per vertex, flickers, bleeds on certain elements and the worst part is character's hair, due to how the game renders it, it ends up like the picture I showed before.

Downsampling with HBAO+ actually ended up looking worse too, adding more artifacts during cutscenes with hair and skin.

Kazdane

Well I figured out a few more things using a screen posted earlier in the thread.
OSOpwt2.png

Lol, I was thinking how similar that screenshot was to the one I had posted earlier...

It's not just the g that is different, the h and the t are as well (and I'm guessing so is the p).

Edit: BTW. If you need more screenshots with text, I have a few saved.

RandomHypnotica

Neo Member
I've downloaded GeDoSaTo, using build 1555, I've checked the configs and everything seems to be set up correctly, and I get a message in game saying it's downsampling from 4k to 1080p, but it has no effect on the game at all, it's still rendering at 720p, and it's also letterboxed for some reason. My configs are the defaults from when I downloaded the program.
Edit: I'm an idiot, I didn't see the part about it having to be in windowed mode... Is there any way to make the window bigger?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I don't know much about how fonts work, but maybe the g was custom made and added to the file? There isn't any ascii symbol that looks even remotely similar.

It might actually just be from a different font altogether so I can probably find it shuffling through random stuff, but I can also just do what I did with Deadly Premonition and make a vector of it to use since that is faster.

Kanokare

Thank you so much! I tried using both 30 and 60FPS but I noticed that the game still show some frame drops. But it's a bit better when I put it to 30FPS.

Also, when I start the game, is it normal that I still see that 3200x1800 > 1920x1080 line on the screen, on top?

I believe that means you're downsampling from 3200x1800 to 1920x1080.

BONKERS

It might actually just be from a different font altogether so I can probably find it shuffling through random stuff, but I can also just do what I did with Deadly Premonition and make a vector of it to use since that is faster.

Yeah, just making it will probably be easier than trying to sift through hundreds or even thousands of fonts trying to find the matching one.

Have you figured the stuff in the menus? And what I mean is the font that is 9/10 the same as the one in the game, but the stuff in the menus has lower case and upper case characters. Where as when installing the font myself, it only had uppercase. No lower case

Maybe I found the wrong version of the font?

Also: Colors/gradients aren't quite a match, but I know you are just getting everything else sorted first.

Kazdane

So, what you mean is that you can recreate it on your own, and that that's actually faster than hoping to stumble upon that particular g in the library of random stuff... Right?

PS: If I'm wrong, then I'll say this is further proof to my limited knowledge about how fonts work hahahaha

The_Monk

Hmmm nope, it should show 1920x1080 -> 1920x1080.

Maybe the user settings aren't being loaded. Try changing the values in the normal ffxiii config (the config\ffxiiiimg\GeDoSaTo.ini item you selected before creating the user profile) to something like this:

I just did this and now it's indeed 1920x1080 -> 1920x1080 which is what I was aiming. I followed your instructions and frame-rate is much more smooth. It's not constantly 60FPS but it's much better than before. When it's at 60FPS the game plays really well even if it drops at random places (during battle or when moving the camera in the world).

Thank you so much for your time and patience, it really helped someone who was clueless when it comes to changing such things. I'll keep playing in the upcoming days so if things stay this way. And once again, thank you Durante for proving a better alternative making the game much more enjoyable and entertaining and for giving me the opportunity to at least play with the right resolution instead of a window in a centre of my monitor with black bars all around.

garath

I've downloaded GeDoSaTo, using build 1555, I've checked the configs and everything seems to be set up correctly, and I get a message in game saying it's downsampling from 4k to 1080p, but it has no effect on the game at all, it's still rendering at 720p, and it's also letterboxed for some reason. My configs are the defaults from when I downloaded the program.
Edit: I'm an idiot, I didn't see the part about it having to be in windowed mode... Is there any way to make the window bigger?

There's currently an issue with down sampling some resolutions don't work at all. Durante is working on it. Try a different resolution to down sample from.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So, what you mean is that you can recreate it on your own, and that that's actually faster than hoping to stumble upon that particular g in the library of random stuff... Right?

PS: If I'm wrong, then I'll say this is further proof to my limited knowledge about how fonts work hahahaha

Well partially correct but what I'd do once dumping works is get the normal font texture and trace it in adobe illustrator to just have the vector plop wherever I need it to be no matter the size.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, just making it will probably be easier than trying to sift through hundreds or even thousands of fonts trying to find the matching one.

Have you figured the stuff in the menus? And what I mean is the font that is 9/10 the same as the one in the game, but the stuff in the menus has lower case and upper case characters. Where as when installing the font myself, it only had uppercase. No lower case

Maybe I found the wrong version of the font?

Also: Colors/gradients aren't quite a match, but I know you are just getting everything else sorted first.

Not quite yet but I figured at least getting the fonts for battle first would be good. I'll look some more after I eat.

Sorry for the trouble I'm getting another error when compiling GeDoSaTo. Compiler Error C2797.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn793970.aspx

Before Visual Studio 2013 Update 3, this was silently converted to a function call, which could lead to bad code generation. Visual Studio 2013 Update 3 reports this as an error.

Is anyone else able to compile on VS2013 Update 3?

The file that is giving me problems is TimeManager.h line 13:

LARGE_INTEGER perfCounterAtFreeze{ { 0 } };

Gojeran

Reached Lake Bresha. Game looks amazing and with the new update is actually boosting to my maximum GPU clock of 1514 now. What is the button to take a screenshot with GeDoSaTo? and where is the location the pictures are stored? I'd love to take some while playing though the area. Performance is still erratic no matter what settings I change its always 54-60FPS with drops to 30 randomly. Still its more than playable and looks fantastic now. Thanks very much Durante.

Xyber

Reached Lake Bresha. Game looks amazing and with the new update is actually boosting to my maximum GPU clock of 1514 now. What is the button to take a screenshot with GeDoSaTo? and where is the location the pictures are stored? I'd love to take some while playing though the area. Performance is still erratic no matter what settings I change its always 54-60FPS with drops to 30 randomly. Still its more than playable and looks fantastic now. Thanks very much Durante.

You need to edit the keybindings in gedosato. Remove the # from the commands you want.

bn8y93.jpg

If you want, you can make a user config too that won't get reset after each update. Press the U at the bottom of the text editor and paste the commands you want.
The screenshots are stored in the gedosato folder, there's a folder named screens.

garath

Well I got to the first non corridor area about an hour into the game and I'm at 30fps now. 60 I'm battles still but solid 30 outside of them. I honestly don't care. I can hope square patches in some optimizations but at this point it just seems like an engine issue. If a 970 can't get 60fps, even downsampled then something is amiss.

The important part is the game now looks great.

Gojeran

You need to edit the keybindings in gedosato. Remove the # from the commands you want.

If you want, you can make a user config too that won't get reset after each update. Press the U at the bottom of the text editor and paste the commands you want.
The screenshots are stored in the gedosato folder, there's a folder named screens.

Thank you!

Is there any way to make it work at 144Hz without crashing or switching back to 720p? It's kind of annoying to have to change out to 60Hz every time I want to play FFXIII.

Game looks amazingly better at 1080p. I played a little @ 720p as I was playing with the app and man ... what a difference. Still finding the sweet spot as my system is just a Radeon 6770 1GB GPU so I can't downsample or anything. Just got everything set up @ 1080p and 8xMSAA atm

Parsnip

Yes thank you! I'll be testing a bunch of really similar fonts for a bit then.

If you plan to trace the fonts, these might help. They are from Lightning Returns. The fonts appear to be the same as FF13, but the position of some characters is different in some of them, so you'd have to adjust some more after we can actually override the fonts.

edit: link removed, I'll pack a better one from FF13.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You're welcome! Glad I could help.

--

Got to Lake Bresha today. Good lord has this game aged well. Downsampled from 3840 × 2160 -> 1920 × 1080

Its pretty amazing how well it has aged actually. There really needs to be a recognition of the events here. Think about it, game releases on ps3, people think its pretty etc but few tout it regularly or currently as one of the best looking games. PC port gets released, is total shit, everyone complains. Durante fixes it, allowing crazy options not even present in new games like 8k downsampling or 32x AA. Now everyone is taking immaculate screens and praising its visuals.

Someone at SE need to wake up and realize these types of releases done correctly are an amazing free advertisement of their legacy.

Only thing i am unsure of is if the same impact would have been had if this was all available out of the gate. Cause Durante fixing it introduces a community element to things, makes people care more.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there any way to make it work at 144Hz without crashing or switching back to 720p? It's kind of annoying to have to change out to 60Hz every time I want to play FFXIII.

Have you tried changing present res to use 144hz, as well as render res?

present is in the main GeDoSaTo.ini, present is in FFXIII's.

Sorry for the trouble I'm getting another error when compiling GeDoSaTo. Compiler Error C2797.

Is anyone else able to compile on VS2013 Update 3?

The file that is giving me problems is TimeManager.h line 13:

LARGE_INTEGER perfCounterAtFreeze{ { 0 } };

I remember in the past it required compiling in VS2012 compatability mode

It was a real pain to compile out

Wow, really outstanding work here Durante. Once I have this game I'll definitely use your fix.

Really impressed that an older title like FFXIII is so visually stunning. Wonder what other gems are visually hidden under low-res on consoles?

This makes me wish for a FFX HD release on PC.

Would be glorious to see that battle system at 4k and such. Those summons and spell effects. Let mods have at it and enhance the textures and everything

RandomHypnotica

Neo Member
There's currently an issue with down sampling some resolutions don't work at all. Durante is working on it. Try a different resolution to down sample from.

I've tried 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080 as the Downsampling resolutions, but still nothing works in Fullscreen, they work in windowed, but not in fullscreen

Mkilbride

Banned
Hum.

At the bottom of my screen, I see a slight blur. It's a line that goes all the way across, it's quite small. It previously was not there when I was downscaling, but now when using 2576x1449 as recommended, because 4K resolutions lock @ 30FPS.

Interesting.

Also, is there just no way to remove the stutter everyone has? It makes it super difficult for me to enjoy the game.

Top Bottom