• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Never again!’ Students demand action against gun violence in nation’s capital

Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators gathered in the nation’s capital and cities across the country Saturday to demand action against gun violence, vividly displaying the strength of the political movement led by survivors of a school massacre in Parkland, Fla.

Organized by students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where a gunman killed 17 last month, the March for Our Lives showcased impassioned teens calling on Congress to enact stricter gun-control laws to end the nation’s two-decade stretch of campus shootings.

Full article

Was really impressed by what I saw out of America today when I watched this on TV. Did anyone here go to one of the events? What did you think?

TTOOLL

Can you imagine if they decide to make some relevant changes during Trump administration? I hope they do something.

zelo-ca

Serious question, Why wasn't Kyle Kasuv not invited to speak at the event? He is a Parkland student who has been in the media just like David Hogg. Maybe cause this is a far left BS march? *thinking emoji*

Last edited:
Oh no, people didn't know what the term AR meant in AR-15, that means them protesting getting shot is null and void.

People who do know about guns think that having more will solve everything when everything speaks to the contrary in this country. Meanwhile, NRA isn't really extending the olive branch either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ates-were-still-alive/?utm_term=.923f996d2709

And wonder why Republicans are losing left and right. STOP basically puts the onance on....well the people who stood outside while there was someone inside shooting kids. These marches need to be about getting money, namely NRA's money, out of politics and out of advertising against politics, and back to what they should be doing, creating a positive environment for gun owners and promoting proper gun ownership and safety.

Last edited:

zelo-ca

"To all the kids from Parkland getting ready to use your First Amendment to attack everyone else’s Second Amendment at your march on Saturday, I wish a hero like Blaine Gaskill had been at Marjory Douglas High School last month because your classmates would still be alive and no one would know your names, because the media would have completely and utterly ignored your story, the way they ignored his"

If you take that out of context then yes it looks bad but hey look it's the full paragraph, read it!

"I wish a hero like Blaine Gaskill had been at Marjory Douglas High School last month because your classmates would still be alive and no one would know your names"

aka I wish a good guy with a gun did his job and the disaster could have been averted/way better than it turned out. Plus of course if the FBI and local sheriff office did their jobs too but you know it's the guns fault after all ;)

Last edited:

zelo-ca

Oh no, people didn't know what the term AR meant in AR-15, that means them protesting getting shot is null and void.

People who do know about guns think that having more will solve everything when everything speaks to the contrary in this country. Meanwhile, NRA isn't really extending the olive branch either.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ates-were-still-alive/?utm_term=.923f996d2709

And wonder why Republicans are losing left and right. STOP basically puts the onance on....well the people who stood outside while there was someone inside shooting kids. These marches need to be about getting money, namely NRA's money, out of politics and out of advertising against politics, and back to what they should be doing, creating a positive environment for gun owners and promoting proper gun ownership and safety.

So I guess if that's the logic should planned parenthood stop lobbying as well? I will call tit for tat but we can't just pick and choose who spends the money. May as well get rid of all of them but I bet you wouldn't want that would you?

Or hey maybe we stop helping the NRA for the price of stop helping planned parenthood? Let both companies use no tax dollars at all and see what happens ;)

Last edited:
To all the kids from Parkland getting ready to use your First Amendment to attack everyone else’s Second Amendment at your march on Saturday, I wish a hero like Blaine Gaskill had been at Marjory Douglas High School last month because your classmates would still be alive and no one would know your names, because the media would have completely and utterly ignored your story, the way they ignored his

If you take that out of context then yes it looks bad but hey look it's the full paragraph, read it!

" I wish a hero like Blaine Gaskill had been at Marjory Douglas High School last month because your classmates would still be alive and no one would know your names"

aka I wish a good guy with a gun did his job and the disaster could have been averted/way better than it turned out. Plus of course if the FBI and local sheriff office did their jobs too but you know it's the guns fault after all ;)

Ah, the famous "Good guy with a gun" story. It's pretty much fake news that it wasn't covered because it was.

So now we are at the point where we need arm officers ready to kill a child at a moment's notice because some Americans are too scared to walk outside with their pew pews and/or the most insecure people ever and need a boost in confidence in the knowledge that they could kill anyone in the room if they wanted.

That's the state the US is in now. Pack of cowards.

So I guess if that's the logic should planned parenthood stop lobbying as well? I will call tit for tat but we can't just pick and choose who spends the money. May as well get rid of all of them but I bet you wouldn't want that would you?

All of it. But considering we are on the topic of gun violence, this is about NRA money, and not the money to give women affordable healthcare options. Lobbying in general should be outlawed.

Last edited:
Assault rifle, assault weapon. Tomato, tomato. Same thing really. What a dumb thing to get hung up on. Besides, it's not like it's unclear what the gun control crowd wants. They're not being dishonest or secretive about it. They want less guns. It's fine if you disagree, but why pretend like they're morons then?

zelo-ca

Ah, the famous "Good guy with a gun" story. It's pretty much fake news that it wasn't covered because it was.

So now we are at the point where we need arm officers ready to kill a child at a moment's notice because some Americans are too scared to walk outside with their pew pews and/or the most insecure people ever and need a boost in confidence in the knowledge that they could kill anyone in the room if they wanted.

That's the state the US is in now. Pack of cowards.

Ready for a fun statistic that blows your whole thesis out of the water? LESS GUN DEATHS WITH MORE GUNS PER PERSON! IS'NT THAT CRAZY!!!!
It is not the amount of guns that's the problem ;)

zelo-ca

Assault rifle, assault weapon. Tomato, tomato. Same thing really. What a dumb thing to get hung up on. Besides, it's not like it's unclear what the gun control crowd wants. They're not being dishonest or secretive about it. They want less guns. It's fine if you disagree, but why pretend like they're morons then?

Because if they want to do gun control then you need to know the facts first. People need to learn and understand and if they do they will see that it will not and should not happen.

Gotta love this march, these people need to learn what's really going on

I appreciate these clips. Sad stuff although this is not a huge deal to me.

On the flip side, two big deals I think are the fact many of these kids are too young to vote. Plus, they don't seem to know much about how other countries regulate guns based off what they think are the solutions. America will have to go a lot further than a lot of people in this debate realize if you want to get the deaths and violence down to a level that's normal. And not as embarrassing.

Last edited:

zelo-ca

I appreciate these clips. Sad stuff although this is not a huge deal to me.

On the flip side, two big deals I think are the fact many of these kids are too young to vote. Plus, they don't seem to know much about how other countries regulate guns based off what they think are the solutions. America will have to go a lot further than a lot of people in this debate realize if you want to get the deaths and violence down to a level that's normal. And not as embarrassing.

Besides suicide and accidental shooting do you know what the majority of gun deaths are in the USA? Gang violence. Taking away guns will not stop those deaths from continuing (like they will give up their guns lol) This march is full of so much misinformation it makes me sick. If only people knew but alas these are the times of BS

Gun violence is most common in poor urban areas and frequently associated with gang violence, often involving male juveniles or young adult males.[14][15] Although mass shootings have been covered extensively in the media, mass shootings in the US account for a small fraction of gun-related deaths[16] and the frequency of these events steadily declined between 1994 and 2007, rising between 2007 and 2013.[17][18]

Last edited:
Ready for a fun statistic that blows your whole thesis out of the water? LESS GUN DEATHS WITH MORE GUNS PER PERSON! IS'NT THAT CRAZY!!!!
It is not the amount of guns that's the problem ;)

Speaking of knowing facts:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...meme-says-gun-homicides-are-down-49-percent-/

Notice that huge dip in your chart in the beginning? What was going on around 1993 to 2000?

Oh right, Bill Clinton was president.

"For one thing, the CDC data show that the big decline in gun homicides came between 1993 and 2000, which happens to coincide with the years Bill Clinton was president. While Clinton and his policies are hardly the only reason for this decline, his signing of tighter gun-control legislation makes him unpopular among the kinds of gun supporters who might have created this meme."

So it's declined rapidly during those years and then stagnated while people ran out to buy more guns because the GOP spent 8 years claiming Obama was coming to take your guns, causing one of the biggest gun sale trends in history. And yet that still didn't do anything to gun violence rates, they stayed stagnated.

zelo-ca

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...meme-says-gun-homicides-are-down-49-percent-/

Notice that huge dip in your chart in the beginning? What was going on around 1993 to 2000?

"For one thing, the CDC data show that the big decline in gun homicides came between 1993 and 2000, which happens to coincide with the years Bill Clinton was president. While Clinton and his policies are hardly the only reason for this decline, his signing of tighter gun-control legislation makes him unpopular among the kinds of gun supporters who might have created this meme."

So it's declined rapidly during those years and then stagnated while people ran out to buy more guns because the GOP spent 8 years claiming Obama was coming to take your guns, causing one of the biggest gun sale trends in history. And yet that still didn't do anything to gun violence rates, they stayed stagnated.

Read previous post about gang violence

Besides suicide and accidental shooting do you know what the majority of gun deaths are in the USA? Gang violence. Taking away guns will not stop those deaths from continuing (like they will give up their guns lol) This march is full of so much misinformation it makes me sick. If only people knew but alas these are the times of BS

And what has the government done about gang violence? Jack shit. At best, it's being worked on at a local level.

zelo-ca

And what has the government done about gang violence? Jack shit. At best, it's being worked on at a local level.

So the solution is to take away guns.... See you're getting it. Focus our efforts on gang violence and why it is happening (maybe the wall would help it that regard ;) )

zelo-ca

Hey if they have all the guns, why aren't they protected from the people with the guns?

It's almost like that's a stupid statement that doesn't work.

And guess what is happening right now? This press and movement is selling so many guns I bet the NRA is swimming in money. Kind of counter productive ;)

Full gun control will never happen and we all know it.

So the solution is to take away guns.... See you're getting it. Focus our efforts on gang violence and why it is happening (maybe the wall would help it that regard ;) )

The government loves gang violence, allows them to fill up for profit prisons and arrest all them dark folks without question. I don't see them putting a stop to it anytime soon. Hell, I'd expect the government to actually facilitate gang activities.

How the hell would the wall help gang violence?

zelo-ca

The government loves gang violence, allows them to fill up for profit prisons and arrest all them dark folks without question. I don't see them putting a stop to it anytime soon. Hell, I'd expect the government to actually facilitate gang activities.

How the hell would the wall help gang violence?

M13 gang coming from Mexico.

And guess what is happening right now? This press and movement is selling so many guns I bet the NRA is swimming in money. Kind of counter productive ;)

Full gun control will never happen and we all know it.

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/7/17066352/gun-sales-mass-shooting-data

I mean, yeah, there's still a bunch of cowards who believe that having a loaded shotgun on them will allow them to sleep at night. But people aren't really afraid of guns disappearing with Republicans everywhere.

zelo-ca

Do...you just believe every meme you find on twitter or only the ones that fit your world view?

Hitler laxed gun laws last I checked.

That's not what it means, the meaning of it is that if you get the children to take your message and run with it then you make the adults submit and lose their liberty and give up their rights.

aka get the kids to parade taking away the 2nd amendment and see adults bend to them and let their rights be taken away.

zelo-ca

That's not what it means, the meaning of it is that if you get the children to take your message and run with it then you make the adults submit and lose their liberty and give up their rights.

aka get the kids to parade taking away the 2nd amendment and see adults bend to them and let their rights be taken away.

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't listen to what children want, because what the hell do they know.

No we should trust the idiots in the white house to know what's best.

zelo-ca

They probably want to stop getting shot.

Those kids would have never been shot if the FBI and sheriffs office did their dam jobs. Like come on he showed all the signs and even called 911 and was looking for help and they did NOTHING! BUT OHHHHH IT"S THE GUNS FAULT! Fuck off with that BS

Last edited:
Those kids would have never been shot if the FBI and sheriffs office did their dam jobs. Like come on he showed all the signs and even called 911 and was looking for help and they did NOTHING! BUT OHHHHH IT"S THE GUNS FAULT! Fuck off with that BS

And charge him with what? Thought crime?

Everything the kid did was legal.

zelo-ca

So don't listen to children or you're Hitler.

Ya know what, I'm alright with people labeling the right again.

No I am saying you agree with a part of his ideology. The way he rose to power and have he retained it by using children. I am not calling you Hitler lol

No I am saying you agree with a part of his ideology. The way he rose to power and have he retained it by using children. I am not calling you Hitler lol

And you're saying we shouldn't listen to children just in case someone might benefit from it.

I really hope you aren't a parent.

zelo-ca

And charge him with what? Thought crime?

Everything the kid did was legal.

Calling 911 asking for help and no one did anything? Is that ok? He should have been detained months prior to the incident but people did not do their jobs right. Saying it's the guns fault is wrong with the evidence that is known.

zelo-ca

And you're saying we shouldn't listen to children just in case someone might benefit from it.

I really hope you aren't a parent.

I am saying to not listen to children when the topic is a right under the constitution. Do you think we would listen to the children if they were marching to get rid of the first amendment? How about the 4th amendment?

What if in the future gay marriage becomes taboo and kids are marching down the streets wanting to ban gay marriage should we listen to them?

Last edited:
Calling 911 asking for help and no one did anything? Is that ok? He should have been detained months prior to the incident but people did not do their jobs right. Saying it's the guns fault is wrong with the evidence that is known.

What would you charge him with?

I do. You're right that there could be a substitution effect if that's what you mean by deaths continuing.

Nevertheless, the routine moves countries take to tackle firearms like buybacks, weapon bans, background checks, permit requirements, storage rules, licensing requirements, and so on are consistent with a fall in deaths. The amount of death and violence doesn't remain the same or rise typically after a wave of laws aiming to get the gun violence and death under control.

Taking away guns is a small slice of everything people around the world do to take care of the problem. And most importantly avoid the shame of being #1 in this area (lower is better).

Last edited:
I am saying to not listen to children when the topic is a right under the constitution. Do you think we would listen to the children if they were marching to get rid of the first amendment? How about the 4th amendment?

What if in the future gay marriage becomes taboo and kids are marching down the streets wanting to ban gay marriage should we listen to them?

Depends on how much you believe in free speech.

Do those rights kill children?

Cause kids are dying because of your 'right', which you've hijacked and warped beyond what the actual amendment is for.

Hell, it's an amendment. The very definition of an amendment is "a minor change in a document".

Yeah. Any background check isn't going to give you more information than what was given to the FBI. Information is useless if it's not used.

Depends on how much you believe in free speech.

Do those rights kill children?

Cause kids are dying because of your 'right', which you've hijacked and warped beyond what the actual amendment is for.

I like doing my own research.

Between 1982 and 2018 there have been 158 people killed in 16 mass school shootings. This defined as a school shooting where at least 4 people were killed.

158 people over 36 years. 4.38 lives lost per year.

Texting and driving kills 11 teens every day, or 4,015 teens a year. Over 36 years, that would amount to 144,540 lives.

144,540 to 158.

So texting and driving, or mass school shootings? Which seems to be the larger priority if you care about saving the lives of children?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476381/school-shootings-in-the-us-by-victim-count/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States
http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats

As said, this was my own research. If I've miscalculated anything, or you'd like to include some other statistics (the number of people injured in mass school shootings, perhaps) please let me know.

I like doing my own research.

Between 1982 and 2018 there have been 158 people killed in 16 mass school shootings. This defined as a school shooting where at least 4 people were killed.

158 people over 36 years. 4.38 lives lost per year.

Texting and driving kills 11 teens every day, or 4,015 teens a year. Over 36 years, that would amount to 144,540 lives.

144,540 to 158.

So texting and driving, or mass school shootings? Which seems to be the larger priority if you care about saving the lives of children?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476381/school-shootings-in-the-us-by-victim-count/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States
http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats

As said, this was my own research. If I've miscalculated anything, or you'd like to include some other statistics (the number of people injured in mass school shootings, perhaps) please let me know.

What the hell does one have to do with the other? Last I checked, there's already campaigns about distracted driving awareness.

We have tons of regulations on cars/drivers, it's essential to the economy, and one day with cars we will have full automation (which will prevent the overwhelmingly leading cause of car deaths, user error).

Since we wanna compare guns to cars so much, guns lack the regulation. We need national registration, storage regulations, competence and mental health regulation, user monitoring (fuck up enough times and you're gone), gun type, accessories and ammo regulation, etc.

If we banned cars the economy would crash. If we banned guns we'll just deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't edit my post as it's been too long, but I do want to say 4.38 deaths a year is still too many for those who lost friends or family members. Any shooting like this is tragic, but it's also important to acknowledge the absurdly small chance of being in a mass school shooting. Many kids are getting extremely worried about something that is nearly a statistical impossibility.

I can't edit my post as it's been too long, but I do want to say 4.38 deaths a year is still too many for those who lost friends or family members. Any shooting like this is tragic, but it's also important to acknowledge the absurdly small chance of being in a mass school shooting. Many kids are getting extremely worried about something that is nearly a statistical impossibility.

But why are we just looking at mass school shootings? Or school shootings? What about shootings in general?

Why wouldn't homicides of any kind count? People still lose friends or family members, whether they are students in school or otherwise. What about those injured, or seriously wounded?

Here's an article that I feel puts things in perspective.

For example, according to Politifact, between 1968 and 2011 there were 1.4 million firearm-related deaths, which is 200,000 more casualties than every single American conflict from the War of Independence to the Iraq War.

11,385 people have died on average annually in firearm incidents in the US between 2001 and 2011, according to the US Department of Justice and the Council on Foreign Affairs.

In fact, between 2001 and 2011, far more people have died on average each year due to firearms than all terrorist attacks on US soil: in this period, over 113,850 have died from firearm-related incidents against 5,170 deaths due to terrorist attacks, including 9-11 (without taking 9-11 into account, the number of casualties would be 310).

According to an academic research paper available through the National Center for Biotechnology Information, among non-lethal firearm injuries, 48,534 were wounded through intentional assault, and 11,529 were unintentional.

These statistics do not include suicide rates or self-harm.

Now about your other premise, I feel we need to be clear that there is a difference between texting-while-driving and distracted driving. They are not one and the same.

Distracted driving could be due to more than just texting-while-driving; the CDC lists various reasons, including eating, using a GPS, or even just daydreaming as causes attributable to distracted driving.

According to the NHTSA, In 2015, there were a total of 32,166 fatal crashes in the United States involving 48,613 drivers. As a result of those fatal crashes, 35,092 people were killed. Roughly 10% of that number is due to distracted driving.

As for incidents directly attributed to cell-phone distraction, during this same period, there were 442 crashes which resulted in 476 fatalities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom