• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 NFL Off-Season Thread: Redskins' time to shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lefty

After winning the SB, the offseason is just boring. Even when we do have needs can't get into it. The only good thing about BBI now is less doom and gloom threads and more of favorite SB moment

Karakand

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807d4049&template=without-video&confirm=true

LOS ANGELES -- Billionaire developer Edward P. Roski Jr. has made a commitment to build the kind of stadium an NFL team needs to thrive in Los Angeles. Now, he's hoping one will commit to play there.

Roski, a part owner of the Kings and Lakers who has spent years trying to lure the NFL back to this area, unveiled plans Thursday for a 75,000-seat facility in the City of Industry he said could be finished in time for the 2011 season.

Southern California has been the home of many professional football teams, from the LA Buccaneers in 1926 (a traveling team that never actually played in Los Angeles) to the XFL champion LA Xtreme in 2002. The Avengers of the Arena Football League are the last active team in LA.

"I intend to develop our stadium project that meets all of the NFL requirements, and more," Roski said at a Staples Center news conference, where stadium models and artist renditions were displayed. "Always the most important thing has been the certainty of doing this. A team is not going to commit to coming to Los Angeles without a stadium. We've taken this one point of uncertainty and made it a certainty. The stadium is a certainty and it will be built."

And, Roski added, without public money.

"Absolutely no taxpayer dollars," he said. "There's no taxpayer dollars to get."

The proposed 600-acre site, near the southern intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways about 20 miles east of Los Angeles, would be surrounded by a shopping mall, and located on a vacant property which Roski already owns. Roski said around 12 million people live within 25 miles of the site.

"We are aware of it and are monitoring all stadium-related developments in southern California," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said from his New York office.

Roski said the cost would be around $800 million, adding the stadium will be built into a hillside meaning far less steel will be required. And that, he said will result in a cost of about $400 million less than it might be otherwise.

Roski said the site is already zoned and an environmental impact report was approved in 2004.

"A supplemental EIR is currently in progress," he added, saying construction could begin as early as the final quarter of this year and parking requirements would be met. "We'll make it happen, just as we did here at Staples Center with the Lakers and Kings.

Roski and Philip Anschutz, the head of AEG, headed up construction of Staples Center. The Lakers, Kings, Clippers and Arena Football League's Los Angeles Avengers play their home games at the facility, which opened in October 1999. AEG is not involved in this venture.

The one obvious obstacle standing in the way is a tenant for the new stadium. Possibilities might include the New Orleans Saints, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings and San Diego Chargers because of their stadium uncertainties.

Roski made it clear construction will not begin until a team agreed to move, adding he did not expect an expansion team to be involved.

The NFL has said it has no plans to expand from its present 32 teams, and it's also clear Los Angeles is not a high priority with the league at this time. But that might not stop a team with stadium uncertainties to make the move.

"No team is going to say they're going to come here until we have this," Roski said of the stadium plan. "We have not talked to any teams. Now, we will start the second phase of it. We'll start talking to the NFL and the teams. We've got this out of the way. Now, we'll concentrate on getting a team."

With a smile, the 69-year-old chairman and CEO of Majestic Realty Co., added: "If I was sitting there, I would be waiting for my call. This is the top market. The team that decides to come to Los Angeles is financially going to be one of the top teams in the league, by far."

Los Angeles, the second-largest media market in the country, has been without an NFL team since 1995, when the Raiders moved back to Oakland after playing 13 years at the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Rams moved from Anaheim to St. Louis.

Proposals have been made for numerous stadium sites in the area over the years including the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as well as in Irwindale, Inglewood, Carson and Anaheim.

But, as Roski pointed out, there were always uncertainties.

Should a team decide to make the move, he said it could play the 2009-10 seasons at either the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl while the new stadium was under construction.
Must... not... try... and kick... football.. Charlie Brown

there are rumors that the rams will be coming back to LA. who the fuck knows where these rumors started, but i would love for the rams to come back to LA. means i get to see an extra niners game every year.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
soulja224466 said:
the rams wont be coming back to LA any time soon. their stadium lease runs through 2015 or so
Since when has that ever stopped a team? *cough* Houston Oilers *cough*

Ordered my season tickets for the Texans on Friday.

Innotech

Banned
I dont think it will be the Saints either. Governor Bobby Jindal is a huge Saints fan and he will do whatever it takes to keep them in Louisiana. Not to mention the morale the team gives to New Orleans. It needs this team a lot. The problem is mainly that if the Saints ever left, there wouldnt be much to initiate a return in the future.

captive said:
Since when has that ever stopped a team? *cough* Houston Oilers *cough*

Ordered my season tickets for the Texans on Friday.

as cheap as our ownership is? i dont see them buying out such an expensive contract, hell they wouldnt even buy out scott linehans contract.

Drek

It'll be San Diego.

The NFL has their divisions nicely aligned at this point. They aren't going to let that get all mucked up with some eastern or central team moving to LA and requiring the rest of their division to crisscross the country to fit in the two divisional games every year.

Division realignment just happened a few years ago, don't see them overhauling it again. And SD is the closest team with an immediate need for a stadium and an expiring lease.

Too good a fit.

jakncoke

Banned
Striker said:
Not missing much lately. :lol

Threads consist of:

Shockey: Stay or go? You decide!
Moss lining up in the slot
DB's from the Draft
Dan Conner is not that good (rolls eyes)
Ahmad Bradshaw becomes the next Jim Brown

whoever says that is dumb. you all will see.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
soulja224466 said:
as cheap as our ownership is? i dont see them buying out such an expensive contract, hell they wouldnt even buy out scott linehans contract.
I guess your not familiar with Houston Oilers leaving, Bud Adams never bought anything out, he left Houston with the bill for the remaining years on the contract as well as the bill for the renovations to the Astrodome.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
sorryaboutdresden said:
Urlacher is considering retirement. Holy shit!

This is almost definitely a ploy for a new contract, but its huge if he follows through with it.

I, for one, am sick of Urlacher complaining about his contract. Throw Briggs into the equation, and you get quite a mess in Chicago.

Karakand

Slo said:
The speculation around here is that the stadium iin LA s being built for the Vikes.
I can wear Laker gear to the first game and not stand out. Excellent...

Drek said:
The NFL has their divisions nicely aligned at this point. They aren't going to let that get all mucked up with some eastern or central team moving to LA and requiring the rest of their division to crisscross the country to fit in the two divisional games every year.
If it's the Vikes they can just move the Rams to the NFC North. St. Louis isn't exactly West to begin with.

nfl would never move the rams out of our division. rams have good rivalries with the seachickens and niners, and are developing one with the cards. it's just like the cowboys in the NFC East. why are they in the nfc east? not because of geography, because of the rivalries with the skins, eagles, and giants.

Karakand

None of the Rams' "rivalries" are anything of note worth preserving.

The NFC West is like the Bundesliga, you have a team of note (Niners) and a bunch of fodder.

Karakand said:
None of the Rams' "rivalries" are anything of note worth preserving.

The NFC West is like the Bundesliga, you have a team of note (Niners) and a bunch of fodder.

?

it may have died off a little in recent years, but the rams-9ers rivalry is still one of the oldest ones in the nfl. it will get re-ignited when one or both teams get a little more competitive.

woodchuck said:
no one outside of the nfc west cares about nfc west "rivalries"

same could be said about any division. i dont give 2 shits about the cowboys, but their fans love the rivalries, and thats what counts.

woodchuck

soulja224466 said:
same could be said about any division. i dont give 2 shits about the cowboys, but their fans love the rivalries, and thats what counts.

not true. for any great rivalry, it has to have some national interest. nfc east rivalries have a ton of national interest. i even pay attention to steelers/browns or pats/jets. same with yankees/red sox, ohio state/michigan or international like celtic/rangers, barcelona/madrid, etc.

not true. for any great rivalry, it has to have some national interest. nfc east rivalries have a ton of national interest. same with yankees/red sox, ohio state/michigan or international like celtic/rangers, barcelona/madrid, etc.

NFC east rivalries can eat a dick. the only reason anyone "cares" is because of the east coast media bias.

you care about the rivalries in your division because you play that team twice a year every year.

woodchuck

FrenchMovieTheme said:
NFC east rivalries can eat a dick. the only reason anyone "cares" is because of the east coast media bias.

you care about the rivalries in your division because you play that team twice a year every year.

but come on man. the CARDS??

zep where have you been buttercup? i miss you and i want you back for good! :(

but come on man. the CARDS??

i love watching our games against the cards. first off, they're fucking dirty. darnell dockett has gotten personal foul penalties on alex smith in the last 3 games they've played because of late hits to the head. then after we beat them last year in the first game they said we had no business beating them and they were clearly the better team.

i also like our matchup with their WR's. it was nice to see that we finally took care of them with nate in the lineup last year. now it gets more interesting since we have bryant johnson as our #2 (presumably), a former card.

you see, if you are in the middle of the rivalry it is interesting, if you are an outside observer and really dont give a shit about either team why would it be interesting? thats why i dont "get" the rivalries in the NFC east. well i get it, but i just dont care.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The Daily News article yesterday said the Saints offered a second round pick for Shockey. That's around the 40th pick. I would take it if I were Jerry Reese.

And it would be a travesty if the Vikings moved to LA.

Slo

Guileless said:
And it would be a travesty if the Vikings moved to LA.

<3 <3 <3

Also, PFT is talking like the Vikes are going to pull a poison pill out if they can't get Allen in a trade. I really don't like the poison pill idea.

Karakand

soulja224466 said:
it may have died off a little in recent years, but the rams-9ers rivalry is still one of the oldest ones in the nfl.
Age does not really a rivalry make. (Aside from the type of rivalry FMT described when he said "because you play that team twice a year every year".)

You're forgetting I grew up around the Rams.

Striker

Guileless said:
The Daily News article yesterday said the Saints offered a second round pick for Shockey. That's around the 40th pick. I would take it if I were Jerry Reese.
Paul Dottino of ESPN Radio said he knows people from the Giants org and from other sources that Jeremy is not unhappy and does not want out. Take it for what it's worth. He claims the trade-talk of Shockey has been overblown.

Karakand said:
Age does not really a rivalry make. (Aside from the type of rivalry FMT described when he said "because you play that team twice a year every year".)

You're forgetting I grew up around the Rams.

Age may not make a rivalry, but its sure as hell a big part of it.

And since you grew up around the rams, you'd know its rare that the 9ers and rams are ever good at the same time. thats part of the rivalry, is the hatred of that team for beating your teams ass every year. at one point the 9ers won 17 straight over us, then we won 10 straight on them.

outsiders may not give a shit, but our fans would be mad as hell if they broke up the nfc west. especially considering the rams and 9ers are the only two remaining teams from the old west.

Slo

soulja224466 said:
outsiders may not give a shit, but our fans would be mad as hell if they broke up the nfc west. especially considering the rams and 9ers are the only two remaining teams from the old west.

That's kind of a contradiction, isn't it?

Striker said:
Paul Dottino of ESPN Radio said he knows people from the Giants org and from other sources that Jeremy is not unhappy and does not want out. Take it for what it's worth. He claims the trade-talk of Shockey has been overblown.

I hope that's accurate because I think it'd be a mistake to trade Shockey (especially if he stays in the NFC). Ralph Vacchiano did a breakdown the of the pros and cons of trading Shockey on Friday: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2008/04/the-case-for-tradingkeeping-je.html

Although I can understand him being grating to teammates in the past I think the fact that the team won without him can be a good humbling thing and a motivator. Unlike with TO (who felt dissed that the Eagles got to the SuperBowl without him but lost to the Pats with him) the Giants pulled it off so Eli and the coaching staff have all the leadership credibility. Kevin Boss seems like an emerging prospect and made some great plays during last year's run but he's still raw.

As for my two cents on this whole rivalry debate, the only NFC West rivalry that's interested me the past few seasons was Rams-'Hawks, other than that they just seem like 'normal' intra-division games. If we're talking about the 49ner's I think of their rivals as being the Cowboys, Packers, and even the Giants ahead of a team like Arizona.

Guileless

I'm trying to imagine what the Jet fans at the draft will do if Ryan and McFadden are available and they draft some defensive guy.

Striker

Dottino basically said the Giants beat writers keep trying to top themselves. Ralph is one of those guys and I truly believe it. They want a story so they'll write what they hear (and sometimes it may be inaccurate).

We'll see if Dottino is telling the truth or not this weekend.

what is a travesty is that los angeles does not have a football team. fucking LOS ANGELES has not had an NFL team for over 10 years! are you shitting me? absolutely pathetic on the NFL's part.

they should just move the chargers to LA and be done with it. they are our "home team" anyways (according to blackout rules)

Guileless

Since I have been sans Sunday Ticket for the last 3 years, I can count on one hand how many NFC West divisional games I've watched. I lived in Missouri the last year before the realignment (when the Rams lost to the Pats in the SB) and watched all of the Ram games that year, and I remember the 49er games were important affairs.

Slo

Yanks/Sox. Duke/UNC. Michigan/Ohio St. Rams/Saints.

I'm going to turn on ESPN classic right now to watch the old film.

Slo said:
Yanks/Sox. Duke/UNC. Michigan/Ohio St. Rams/Saints.

I'm going to turn on ESPN classic right now to watch the old film.

yeah, im an idiot. the only rivalries that exist in sports today are yanks/sox and duke/unc. might as well quit playing the games and tune into sportscenter instead.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The NFL rivalry with the most juice is obviously Pats/Colts. Second, and it only solidified itself in the playoffs, is Cowboys/Giants. Every one of their recent games have been epics, even if I weren't a Giant fan I would have to recognize that.

Slo

soulja224466 said:
yeah, im an idiot. the only rivalries that exist in sports today are yanks/sox and duke/unc. might as well quit playing the games and tune into sportscenter instead.

<3

pollo

Banned
Guileless said:
I'm trying to imagine what the Jet fans at the draft will do if Ryan and McFadden are available and they draft some defensive guy.

Stupid fans: will cry

Smart fans: will cheer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom