• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 NFL Off-Season Thread: Redskins' time to shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

speaking of the jets...

rumor out of philly is that they will trade lito sheppard and the #49 pick for robertson (DT) and the #36 pick.

not sure how i feel about this rumor. i wanted the eagles to trade lito in a move that would bring either roy williams, boldin, or ocho cinco type of a player. or to move up in the first round to maybe go after a DE.

if true and if lito can stay healthy the jets secondary could be very good.

pollo

Banned
effzee said:
speaking of the jets...

rumor out of philly is that they will trade lito sheppard and the #49 pick for robertson (DT) and the #36 pick.

not sure how i feel about this rumor. i wanted the eagles to trade lito in a move that would bring either roy williams, boldin, or ocho cinco type of a player. or to move up in the first round to maybe go after a DE.

if true and if lito can stay healthy the jets secondary could be very good.

lol thatd be fucking awesome

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
what is a travesty is that los angeles does not have a football team. fucking LOS ANGELES has not had an NFL team for over 10 years! are you shitting me? absolutely pathetic on the NFL's part.

they should just move the chargers to LA and be done with it. they are our "home team" anyways (according to blackout rules)
Only recently. 2 years ago it was the Raiders. :( They'll be back!

If they did move here, I'd probably go crazy...on the other hand, I'd get to see 2 more Raider games a season without traveling and they would be rival games!

Also, I could stab me some SD fans.

Ænima

Wellington said:
The NFL rivalry with the most juice is obviously Pats/Colts. Second, and it only solidified itself in the playoffs, is Cowboys/Giants. Every one of their recent games have been epics, even if I weren't a Giant fan I would have to recognize that.
One playoff game does not make the Cowboys and Giants the second greatest rivalry in the league right now. I wouldn't call either of their regular season meetings last year epic, the Cowboys won both of those games without too much trouble. I mean a couple of my friends, who are both diehard Cowboy fans, were rooting for the Giants in the Super Bowl just because they hated New England so much. There has to be deeper hatred between fans than that for a real rivalry.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ænima said:
One playoff game does not make the Cowboys and Giants the second greatest rivalry in the league right now. I wouldn't call either of their regular season meetings last year epic, the Cowboys won both of those games without too much trouble. I mean a couple of my friends, who are both diehard Cowboy fans, were rooting for the Giants in the Super Bowl just because they hated New England so much. There has to be deeper hatred between fans than that for a real rivalry.
The Cowboys won without too much trouble? Did we watch the same games?

Name a bigger rivalry then. I assume that you forget that it was the Giants that nocked out Bledsoe and started the era of Romo in Dallas. I also assume that you forget that Dallas was Eli's first win as a starter.

Also I have a question, are the eagles rumored to trade for everyone that's available, or is it just me?

Rorschach

Innotech said:
amongst fans, Id say Dallas and Eagles are easily the most intense rivalry.
Amongst fans? No one hates each other more than Raiders/Broncos fans. AFC West is full of seething hatred. No team would ever give another team props much less make a thread saying it's another division team's time to shine. I'd vomit so hard that I'd probably pass out before making a thread titled "Broncos' time to shine!"* Even in jest.

*I dry heaved while typing that...

[edit]
Also I have a question, are the eagles rumored to trade for everyone that's available, or is it just me?

I've been saying that too. :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Here's how the trade rumors work.

Team A has announced that they are trying to shore up X position, whether through trade, free agency, or draft.

Once news gets out that a player of that position is for trade, voila, now they're rumored to be trading for him.

Wellington said:
The Cowboys won without too much trouble? Did we watch the same games?

Name a bigger rivalry then. I assume that you forget that it was the Giants that nocked out Bledsoe and started the era of Romo in Dallas. I also assume that you forget that Dallas was Eli's first win as a starter.

Redskins / Cowboys
Eagles / Cowboys
Packers / Vikings
Steelers / Browns
Broncos / Raiders (even though they both suck)
Jets / patriots (if only for all the front office stuff the past decade, and spygate)

And you know I hate the 'Boys more than almost anything. But really this was the first time they've ever played in a playoff game against one another, and apart from the last two years, they've never really been good at the same time (Cowboys good in 70s, Giants not; Giants good in 80s, Cowboys not; Cowboys good in 90s, etc).

A few more years of Manning/Romo could change things though. But ask a Cowboy fan if they'd rather see the Giants win a SB or the Redskins, and it would be pretty unanimous...

SonnyBoy

Wellington said:
Name a bigger rivalry then.

I think that all of our inter-divisional games are heated and boiling over with hatred... Giants/Dallas isn't bigger than Giants/Redskins. Now maybe that'll change in a decade or so when our parents die (Im 23) and a new breed of fans take over but out of all the NFC East adults that I know, W/D is still king. Especially in recent years when Wash has been more of a challenge.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
the Wash/Dallas rivalry has been living on history for quite awhile now. Outside of 91, it hasn't had too much significance since the early 80's.

Rorschach

worldrunover said:
Redskins / Cowboys
Eagles / Cowboys
Packers / Vikings
Steelers / Browns
Broncos / Raiders (even though they both suck)
Jets / patriots (if only for all the front office stuff the past decade, and spygate)

And you know I hate the 'Boys more than almost anything. But really this was the first time they've ever played in a playoff game against one another, and apart from the last two years, they've never really been good at the same time (Cowboys good in 70s, Giants not; Giants good in 80s, Cowboys not; Cowboys good in 90s, etc).

A few more years of Manning/Romo could change things though. But ask a Cowboy fan if they'd rather see the Giants win a SB or the Redskins, and it would be pretty unanimous...
Packers/Bears > Packers/Vikings

Also, your face sucks! >:|

Andokuky

Banned
Broncos/Queefs is another good one.

Living 30 minutes from Texas Stadium, I'd have to say the Eagles/Cowboys rivalry is held in much, much higher regard here than the Giants/Cowboys. Even after the playoff loss, because most people tend to view it as a fluke.

Slo

Rorschach said:
Packers/Bears > Packers/Vikings

Also, your face sucks! >:|

Yeah, the Bears/Pack is the best rivalry in the NFC North. Green Bay is like Dallas in the NFC East, everybody in their division considers them their #1 rival.

yacobod

Banned
Slo said:
Yeah, the Bears/Pack is the best rivalry in the NFC North. Green Bay is like Dallas in the NFC East, everybody in their division considers them their #1 rival.

i havent been a big fan of the lovie smith era, but at least we've been consistently beating the packers since he's become the HC for the bears

the packers basically OWNED the bears during the wannstedt and jauron eras

Slo said:

Bears/Pack is also the oldest in the league, dates back to the early 20s.

NBCSports.com's Tom Curran reports the Dolphins are nearing a contract agreement with Michigan OT Jake Long.

The deal would make Long the No. 1 overall pick. The Dolphins began talks with Long's agent, Tom Condon, two weeks ago and never engaged in serious deliberations with any other player. Curran writes that with Long off the board, St. Louis is "a lock" to use the No. 2 pick on a defensive player. UVA DE Chris Long is reportedly "very confident" he'll be the Rams' choice.

That's one pick down. I can't wait for the draft.

LJ11

sorryaboutdresden said:
That's one pick down. I can't wait for the draft.

Peter King was all over J.Long to Miami in his column this morning as well.

He also thinks a bunch of teams are hot for Ryan, praises him a bunch as well. I don't understand the love.

LJ11 said:

He also thinks a bunch of teams are hot for Ryan, praises him a bunch as well. I don't understand the love.

Neither do I, sports writers across the country have such a hard-on for Ryan because of his intangibles.

Tamanon

Banned
LJ11 said:

It's kinda like the Coconut theory of offices. People will see the cute chick as hot in an office, because a lot of times, there's not much competition.

Gigglepoo

Matt Ryan is not going to be a single digit draft pick this year. He's just not worth it. Quinn is much better and had a more successful college career but plummeted to 22, why would Ryan go in the top 5? Especially when any value for QBs is in the later rounds with Henne, Ainge, etc.

Gigglepoo said:
Matt Ryan is not going to be a single digit draft pick this year. He's just not worth it. Quinn is much better and had a more successful college career but plummeted to 22, why would Ryan go in the top 5? Especially when any value for QBs is in the later rounds with Henne, Ainge, etc.

The Ravens will undoubtedly draft him (if he lasts that long). He won't get past them, even if he should.

firex

The Ravens picked Troy Smith last year way late in the draft, and I don't think they'll give up on him after playing like 3 games and actually looking decent enough. But whoever picks Matt Ryan is making a big mistake.

Gigglepoo

worldrunover said:
The Ravens will undoubtedly draft him (if he lasts that long). He won't get past them, even if he should.

Cornerback is a bigger need at the top of the draft. They can get a quality QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Gigglepoo said:
Cornerback is a bigger need at the top of the draft. They can get a quality QB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I think they tried that recently... honestly, the team hasn't had a QB for their entire existence. I think the fans are going to demand it.

jakncoke

Banned
firex said:
The Ravens picked Troy Smith last year way late in the draft, and I don't think they'll give up on him after playing like 3 games and actually looking decent enough. But whoever picks Matt Ryan is making a big mistake.

indeed.

Gigglepoo

worldrunover said:
I think they tried that recently... honestly, the team hasn't had a QB for their entire existence. I think the fans are going to demand it.

Their fans don't deserve Matt Ryan. That's just cruel.

EAGLES TO MAKE A MAJOR MOVE AT RECEIVER?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2008, 3:00 p.m.
Last month, the Philadelphia Eagles made a run at two of the dozen (or so) elite NFL receivers who command the attention of at least two defensive players whenever on or anywhere close to the field.

The Eagles were unable to lure Randy Moss, a free agent at the time, away from New England. Efforts to swing a trade with the Cardinals for receiver Larry Fiztgerald were unsuccessful as well.

But there’s another high-end wideout who might ultimately be coming to Philly.

GCobb.com (which has been nailing many an Eagles scoop this offseason) says that Eagles radio analyst Mike Quick says he thinks that the Eagles “will make a major move” at receiver this week.

Apparently, the Cowboys and the Redskins are in the hunt as well.

Williams, one of the rare first-round wideouts chosen by the Lions during the past decade who has turned into a solid player, is signed through 2008. But with receiver Calvin Johnson, the No. 2 overall selection in 2007, entering his second year and commanding a big chunk of cap space, the Lions have to ask themselves whether they should get try to get value for Williams now, or face losing him after the coming season. (They could also put the franchise tag on him and then trade him, but they would need roughly $10 million in cap space on the books in order to carry his one-year franchise tender until a trade would be worked out.)

For the reported suitors, the stakes are very high. Whoever doesn’t get Williams will have to face him twice per year.

Stop jerking me around with a Roy Williams trade and fucking make it happen.

tmdorsey

This draft is looking to be crazy. Rumor has it we are talking to the Patriots about their 7th pick. This may have some merit especially if the story on ESPN about us getting offers for the 3rd pick is true.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wellington said:
The NFL rivalry with the most juice is obviously Pats/Colts. Second, and it only solidified itself in the playoffs, is Cowboys/Giants. Every one of their recent games have been epics, even if I weren't a Giant fan I would have to recognize that.
I'd say Dolphins/Jets, but I don't know. The Dolphins Stadium guys who work the jumbotrons can only replay that fake spike now to rile up my dad (and make him say that they should replay the Jumbo Elliott touchdown from the Miracle at the Meadowlands as compensation) so many times...

its looking more and more like chris long for us...which im happy with. ill take either Longs or dorsey, or trading down not too far is ok too.

bluemax

Banned
woodchuck said:
not true. for any great rivalry, it has to have some national interest. nfc east rivalries have a ton of national interest. i even pay attention to steelers/browns or pats/jets. same with yankees/red sox, ohio state/michigan or international like celtic/rangers, barcelona/madrid, etc.

Fuck that. No one on the West Coast who isn't from Michigan, Ohio, New York, or Boston gives two shits about those rivalries.

The only one of those I've bothered to watch is Ohio St. Michigan because of which fraud team it would send to the MNC, if neither team is playing for the MNC I don't give a shit.

That being said, the Chargers are the most logical choice.

jasonbay said:
I'd take Flacco over Brohm

I wouldn't. Flacco couldn't crack the starting spot at a crappy football school, why does anyone think he'll be good in the NFL? This isn't a case of a guy not being recognized and playing at a small school, its a guy who SUCKED at a big school and dominated inferior competition.

SyNapSe

I've heard there is an ESPN Insider report saying the Vikes increased there offer for Allen today to, this year's 1st and 3rd and 2009 2nd. Seems reasonable, let's get this done! Now for who to select...

ShowDog

Hey all,
I've been a Steelers fan for the past 6 or 7 years. My family has been fans forever, my grandparents are from Pittsburgh, but I didn't really start getting into football until high school (during the Maddox days). I adopted fandom of the Steelers along with the rest of my family being from Orange County CA, we don't have a team. Just figured I'd introduce myself to NFL gaf, always lurked during the season but never wanted to join midway through or near playoff times to avoid a perception of bandwagoning. I know there's a strong presence of Steelers fans on here led by Bionic and a few others, so I proudly join your ranks. Go Steelers!

Artie

MaestroRyan said:
sooooo Vikings offseason acquistions own house. Sign Jared Allen and it's a superbowl berth. We've solved just about every problem except DE.

Second Round targets:
Early Doucet
Earl Bennett
Reggie Smith
Lawrence Jackson
Quentin Groves

Third Round targets:
Fred Davis
Frank Okam
Owen Schmitt

If we sign Allen, well, wow. I just couldn't be happier. Don't really give a shit about future picks. Signing Allen would just be ridiculous, our defensive line would be the best in the league and maybe our DBs would pick off the ball. Realistically an Allen signing confirms NFC North champions. 11-5 without him, 13-3 with him. bitchin'!

Sad the only thing keeping you down is T-Jack. Your defense is starting to look better though.

Hopefully A-Rod is Steve Young redux...

Slo

bluemax said:
I wouldn't. Flacco couldn't crack the starting spot at a crappy football school, why does anyone think he'll be good in the NFL? This isn't a case of a guy not being recognized and playing at a small school, its a guy who SUCKED at a big school and dominated inferior competition.

He's the next Brad Johnson! He's got the Super Bowl swagger!

effzee

eagles have been pretty much rumored to pick anyone and everyone up.

since a story broke out that LITO is unhappy about his contract there have been rumors. right after that report broke the eagles signed asante samuel.

in philly its no secret that once a player asks for more money or gets into a disagreement with andy reid the only resolution is that the player is let go.

now i would love for them to keep lito if they can not pull a move for a #1 WR and have a great secondary if the egos can be kept in check.

i want robertson but not for lito.

latest eagles rumors:

lito plus some picks for allen (from KC)

lito plus some picks for roy williams

lito plus some picks for moving up the draft maybe into the top 10 or top 5

lito plus late 2nd rd pick for robertson and high 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom