• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 NFL Off-Season Thread: Redskins' time to shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Two Vick jerseys SD? Red and black? :lol What are you going to do with them? McShay says the Falcons are leaning towards Ryan.

And he says the Saints are trying to move into the Top 5 for Dorsey. Because that worked so well with Jonathan "Buffet Crusher" Sullivan.

Striker

McShay (or as some ESPN analysts call him, 'T-Mac') has an unhealthy erection for Ryan.

He'll be good, maybe, but he isn't in the Rivers, Roethlisberger, or Manning level, like Kiper and he suggest.

bionic77

LiveWire said:
Carson Palmer couldn't because Kimo Gillooly'd his knee on the first play of a playoff game that the Bengals would have won with Palmer in the game.
Even if they had won with Palmer they weren't good enough to go into Indy and Denver and win like the Steelers did.

Guileless said:
Two Vick jerseys SD? Red and black? :lol What are you going to do with them? McShay says the Falcons are leaning towards Ryan.

And he says the Saints are trying to move into the Top 5 for Dorsey. Because that worked so well with Jonathan "Buffet Crusher" Sullivan.

How many consecutive years of ESPN over-hyping college QB's does it take..

Ryan falls out of the top ten, trust me.

LiveWire said:
Carson Palmer couldn't because Kimo Gillooly'd his knee on the first play of a playoff game that the Bengals would have won with Palmer in the game.

Palmer's awesome if the protection is good and the WRs are clicking at 100%. But throw some pressure at him and he starts spraying the field like Snyder throwing money at any free agent.

Zep

Banned
Well, that makes things a lot harder for St.Louis. I don't want to draft Dorsey but the thought of him and Ryan is jerkworthy.

In the end we'll just draft C. Long

Striker

If Long pans out, they'll be in good shape along the OL.

Long, Carey, Smiley, and Soliai are a good, young crew.

Think they grab a QB in rounds two or three?

Gigglepoo

sorryaboutdresden said:
How many consecutive years of ESPN over-hyping college QB's does it take..

Ryan falls out of the top ten, trust me.

Pssh, you're only saying that because he's clearly not worth a top 10 pick and no sane GM would draft him in that slot.

If Atlanta loves him, expect them to pull a Cleveland - draft a great line player at 3 and trade back into the later first round to nab their QB.

bluemax

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Challenge me on that. What's so funny? Ain't never seen a white guy violate the terms of a +$100M contract. Proove me wrong.

I need Matt Ryan. Dude can throw beyond belief. And he's smart. Don't have to worry about any extra-carricular activities that will hurt my team. Vick did it. The dude before him took us to the SB. Vick was an overrated thug that I bought into. Am I wrong?

Denny Neagle was white and didn't his contract get voided for picking up tranny hookers?

Hunter D

If I was looking to get a qb I would get Brohm. He has played in a pro style offense for years. He also has dealt with media attention for a few years and has performed. You don't know how Ryan will react when he is getting a lot of attention from the media next season.

Spectral Glider said:
Palmer's awesome if the protection is good and the WRs are clicking at 100%. But throw some pressure at him and he starts spraying the field like Snyder throwing money at any free agent.

Better to throw money around instead of throwing your head through a car (NO HELMET....dumbass Ben)

Gigglepoo said:
Pssh, you're only saying that because he's clearly not worth a top 10 pick and no sane GM would draft him in that slot.

If Atlanta loves him, expect them to pull a Cleveland - draft a great line player at 3 and trade back into the later first round to nab their QB.

Exactly, well said.

bionic77 said:
Even if they had won with Palmer they weren't good enough to go into Indy and Denver and win like the Steelers did.

Total truth.

And, OF COURSE Carson needs protection. He is the quintessential pocket quarterback, without a pocket, well, he's Byron Leftwich: except not as pillowy to a passrusher's touch. But don't feel bad for Byron, he's doing well for himself:

weird-people-fat-guy-eating-huge-ha.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Challenge me on that. What's so funny? Ain't never seen a white guy violate the terms of a +$100M contract. Proove me wrong.

I need Matt Ryan. Dude can throw beyond belief. And he's smart. Don't have to worry about any extra-carricular activities that will hurt my team. Vick did it. The dude before him took us to the SB. Vick was an overrated thug that I bought into. Am I wrong?

Well you could consider Mike Hampton's contract a theft.

firex

imo Andre Woodson is as good of a draft choice as Ryan for QB. Ryan has "intangibles" and Woodson has all the physical tools you want out of a QB and a good mindset. He'll just need some tutelage from a good veteran and he could be one of the sleeper hits of the draft in a couple years.

LiveWire

vas_a_morir said:
This is why people who give athletes a hard time about making too much money need to STFU because you can lose it QUICK. Best of luck to Shaun. He's a northern KY boy, if I recall. I think he'll end up banging his smoking hot wife the rest of his life. That's my prediction.

fixed

shaunandwife2-738627.gif

Gigglepoo

vas_a_morir said:
This is why people who give athletes a hard time about making too much money need to STFU because you can lose it QUICK. Best of luck to Shaun. He's a northern KY boy, if I recall. I think he'll end up preaching the rest of his life. That's my prediction.

He's "losing it" because he played like a pussy.

methodman

Banned
Roger (Craig) relayed a telling story about the priorities of the 49ers, circa 1983. During Roger's first training camp, coach Bill Walsh gave the team a night off from meetings. Roger said he was ready to unwind and have some fun.

"I wanted to know where the party was that night," Roger said. "I picked the worst guy- and the best guy- to ask about a party. I went to Ronnie Lott.

"I asked him, Where's the party? He looked at me for a second as if he couldn't believe what I was asking. A frown came across his face and he shot back, 'We didn't draft you here to party, we drafted you to help us get back to the Super Bowl! Instead of partying you better have your butt in your Dorm studying your play book tonight and be ready for practice in the morning.'

"Trust me," Roger said, "I stayed in my dorm.

:lol I love you Ronnie Lott.

jakncoke

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
This is why people who give athletes a hard time about making too much money need to STFU because you can lose it QUICK. Best of luck to Shaun. He's a northern KY boy, if I recall. I think he'll end up preaching the rest of his life. That's my prediction.

I see what point your getting at but Shaun is not even close to when your rant should be brought up . fucking guy has made millions and still has several years of lower level contracts to go...he'll be living it up post-nfl.

vas_a_morir said:

Yes, the rest of us have no idea what it's like to get laid off, lose a job, face the unemployment line or have savings dashed. Poor, poor Shaun, he has it so bad.

If I'm not on GAF for the draft, Giants need to get either a safety, corner, or DT/LB for their first pick. I have no confidence in Corey Webster as a corner. I like Kenny Philips personally.

Hunter D

The Frankman said:
If I'm not on GAF for the draft, Giants need to get either a safety, corner, or DT/LB for their first pick. I have no confidence in Corey Webster as a corner. I like Kenny Philips personally.
The giants will go safety, wr or even lb with the first pick. At safety we need serious help. At lb we just need more speed so getting younger will help.

At wr is where we need some help. Toomer is old and has had tons of serious injuries. Heart is what keeps him going. And to think some people called him soft during his first 2 years in the league. Smith looks great, but he missed most of his first year with a serious injury. Plax is great, but he also has been often injured. Tyree made that GOAT catch and will have god catch in madden, but giants fans know he has shit hands.

People tend to talk bad about Eli, but he needs wr's that are able to play at full speed throughout the season. I think one of the reasons why his play picked up during the playoff run is because guys were back in good health at the end of the season.

Spectral Glider said:
Yes, the rest of us have no idea what it's like to get laid off, lose a job, face the unemployment line or have savings dashed. Poor, poor Shaun, he has it so bad.

Most of us don't know what it's like to get our asses kicked every week by violent, monstrous football players, either. I think it's a fair trade.

Wait a second, this is GAF, I'm actually pretty sure I just described high school for most GAFFERS.

Either way, my point is: They earn it.

Even after expecting it for so long, I'm still a little stunned.

He's one of, if not the, greatest Seahawk ever, and helped change the franchise from perennial doormat to consistent challenger.

At the press conference following the loss to GB this year he said his biggest disappointment was not winning a championship for Holmgren like Favre did. For all the faults we laid at his feet the last two years, he was a class act.

Happy trails Alexander.

Edit: Here is Alexanders statement:

We received the news from the Seahawks’ front office today that I have been released. While it really isn’t a surprise, this news marks a major transition in my life. I started my NFL career in Seattle and hoped I could remain with the team through the rest of my days as a player. That said, things change.

I will be playing for another NFL team this fall, and doing everything I can to contribute. I am healthy, energized and looking forward to beginning the next chapter of my NFL career.

I want to thank the Seahawks and Coach Holmgren for all they have done for me and my family over the years. I have nothing but respect and affection for the Seahawks staff, my teammates and the organization. I wish them the best.

I especially want to thank the Seahawks fans. You made me feel proud every time I stepped on the field as a Seahawk. I look forward to hopefully returning to Qwest Field one day to play against the Seahawks, and the daunting task of facing the 12th Man —Seahawks fans are among the best.

Finally, Valerie and I want everyone to know that Seattle is home for us, and it will remain so no matter where I play next. We have made far too many wonderful friends to say goodbye. My family will remain in the Seattle area, and when my days in the NFL do eventually come to an end, I plan to retire here. Our hearts are woven into the fabric of this community, we are blessed to be part of it, and we enjoy contributing to it in every way we can.

Thank you, Seattle. You have become a part of me and you will forever remain in my heart.

hiryu

AndersTheSwede said:
Even after expecting it for so long, I'm still a little stunned.

He's one of, if not the, greatest Seahawk ever, and helped change the franchise from perennial doormat to consistent challenger.

At the press conference following the loss to GB this year he said his biggest disappointment was not winning a championship for Holmgren like Favre did. For all the faults we laid at his feet the last two years, he was a class act.

Happy trails Alexander.

Edit: Here is Alexanders statement:

Alexander is a class act. The NFL could use more players like him.

vas_a_morir said:
Most of us don't know what it's like to get our asses kicked every week by violent, monstrous football players, either. I think it's a fair trade.

Wait a second, this is GAF, I'm actually pretty sure I just described high school for most GAFFERS.

Either way, my point is: They earn it.

Go tell a group of machinists or construction workers that find themselves suddenly out of work that they don't earn it because they don't tote a ball around a field.

Yeah, players earn it, and get paid very well in return. But to take a player getting cut and saying that nobody knows what it's like to have it all quickly taken away is wrong. Perhaps you should be arguing about the potential physical abuse that can cause some players future problems. Problems that may result in difficulty taking care of loved ones, or worse, themselves and dealing with a league that currently does not take care of them in retirement years. But being cut by a team is not the same issue.

Spectral Glider said:
Go tell a group of machinists or construction workers that find themselves suddenly out of work that they don't earn it because they don't tote a ball around a field.

Yeah, players earn it, and get paid very well in return. But to take a player getting cut and saying that nobody knows what it's like to have it all quickly taken away is wrong. Perhaps you should be arguing about the potential physical abuse that can cause some players future problems. Problems that may result in difficulty taking care of loved ones, or worse, themselves and dealing with a league that currently does not take care of them in retirement years. But being cut by a team is not the same issue.

I concede. Inform the boys at the union hall, justice has prevailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom