• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 NFL Off-Season Thread: Redskins' time to shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
effzee said:
EAGLES RUMORED TO ACQUIRE BOLDIN!

Lolz, for real?

The Cardinals and Bengals should have a NIT consolation game every year. Two miserable, shit franchises. GOD, why couldn't I have been born somewhere with a good team?

sorryaboutdresden said:
Trotter :lol

No way, Snyder wants Chad, he told me so.

Snyder has been distracted by the release of Shaun Alexander. An overrated, over the hill player doesn't get released without Daniel Snyder hearing about it and showing interest. Hopefully this will make him forget about Chad.

effzee

chad johnson, roy williams or boldin...ALL worth a 1st round and pick more depending on the team.

for a team like washington maybe not but for a team like the eagles HELL YES.

if the eagles intend to make one more (or maybe 2-3 depending on mcnabbs health) run with the current core nucleus then they owe it to the players and fans to go for the missing link.

they need a weapon offense besides westbrook.

effzee said:
chad johnson, roy williams or boldin...ALL worth a 1st round and pick more depending on the team.

for a team like washington maybe not but for a team like the eagles HELL YES.

if the eagles intend to make one more (or maybe 2-3 depending on mcnabbs health) run with the current core nucleus then they owe it to the players and fans to go for the missing link.

they need a weapon offense besides westbrook.

as much as i'd like Boldin, i don't know if he's worth that big of a haul, certainly not what they were offering for Chad. We need players. Draft picks=players. Im tired of management trying to build this team by hitting homeruns (and striking out). We have a solid core, just add players to it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hiryu said:
Alexander is a class act. The NFL could use more players like him.

No, WE MUST HATE HIM, BECAUSE...well, JUST BECAUSE.

Alexander > any stupid 49'er fucker EVER. Suck it Baytown.

effzee

Ninja Scooter said:
as much as i'd like Boldin, i don't know if he's worth that big of a haul, certainly not what they were offering for Chad. We need players. Draft picks=players. Im tired of management trying to build this team by hitting homeruns (and striking out). We have a solid core, just add players to it.

yeah so for the redskins it doesnt make sense unless of course they can fool the cardinals which is always a possibility.

effzee

Ninja Scooter said:
i want to do it just to spite you now.

if the redskins somehow acquired boldin, williams, or chad johnson and the eagles did not....i would be furious.

but i would still predict the eagles finish better than the redskins this upcoming season.

seems like a lot to give up, even though Allen is a beast and only like 27 years old. If he fucks up and gets another DUI isn't he due a year long suspension though?

Rorschach

Tamanon said:
I hear the Eagles are interested.
:lol

captive said:
Jared Allen going to the Vikes.
Boooh! Oh well, at least he's out of the division!

According to the NFL Network, the Vikings get Allen and the Chiefs get the Vikings' 1st rounder, and both of their 3rd round picks in this year's draft.
I said wow.

It seems like a lot to give up, even though Allen is a beast and only like 27 years old. If he fucks up and gets another DUI isn't he due a year long suspension though?
Nothing to worry about. White guys don't commit crimes. Duh.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Lonestar said:
No, WE MUST HATE HIM, BECAUSE...well, JUST BECAUSE.

Alexander > any stupid 49'er fucker EVER. Suck it Baytown.

Alexander is a good person, he's a mediocre player. He got lucky with the team and the time he found himself.

firex

I'm gonna say this is a better deal for the Vikes even though they give up a lot of picks. Jared Allen could fuck this up (he's probably already shitfaced at his favorite bar and getting ready to ride to another one or a strip club right now) but ithe Vikes don't have a really hot set of picks, and now the Chiefs have like 4 needs.

Gigglepoo

Ninja Scooter said:
seems like a lot to give up, even though Allen is a beast and only like 27 years old. If he fucks up and gets another DUI isn't he due a year long suspension though?

If by "long suspension" you mean "massive jail time", then yes, yes he is.

Have fun rooting for a degenerate, Viking fans!

Slo

I gotta get me a #69 jersey!

Seems like a TON to give up, but considering we spent the 2005 #18 on Erasmus James and the 2004 #20 on Kenechi Udeze, I doubt that #17 pick would have got us a better pass rushing DE. :lol

Herschel Walker 2.0!

Ninja Scooter said:

Yeah, if he fucks up again, he's done for at least a year.

Over the weekend, a couple of articles in the KC Star detailed Allen's feelings towards the Chiefs when they didn't resign him last year, saying he was insulted, especially when their GM Carl Peterson called him a "player at risk" (which he is).

I'd rather they not trade him, but if he wasn't going to agree to resign, now is the time to trade him. This team has huge holes to fill, and 6 picks in the first 3 rounds could go a long way towards rebuilding the team...but then you're counting on the Chiefs to draft well, which they rarely do.

I fully expect him to continue being the beast that he has been now that he has actual NFL caliber defensive tackles to play next to.

Slo

Gigglepoo said:
If by "long suspension" you mean "massive jail time", then yes, yes he is.

Have fun rooting for a degenerate, Viking fans!

moss%20moon.jpg

Artie

Slo said:

Too bad you still have one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

Though with Lord Favre gone that may help you in our games together. Fuck, you are becoming relevant! Noooo

SyNapSe

Rorschach said:
Nothing to worry about. White guys don't commit crimes. Duh.

People always say stuff like this, but I was surprised when he only got a 2 game suspension last year. Isn't second offense almost always 4 games, then 1 year for the 3rd?

It seemed like he had got over his drinking last year and came into camp in better shape than normal. Of course, it paid off with a nice year. It's a tough trade for us. Allen had really turned into a very solid all around DE. When he came in he was a liability against the run, but he had shored that up decently.

He wasn't the super athlete that some guys are but he could get to the QB and he was excellent at batting down passes when he did get stonewalled. He just turned 26 on the 3rd of this month so he's pretty damn young too. The Vikings are getting a heck of a young player.

I just looked this up because I had no idea what the numbers were like and ESPN shows him with 10 passes defensed last year. It always felt to me like Allen was good at this, so I just checked some other DE's. I tried Osi + Strahan and they had a combined 2 between them last year. Dwight Freeney had 10 in his whole career. Peppers actually looks like he excels at it also.. had 6 last year. It's not Fumbles or INT's but it forces the other team into 2nd and 3rd and longs. Course we have CB's using their walker to hobble down the sidelines on 3rd so we have to make this trade to get some youth. We're unfortunately going to be bad for a long time I think :(

Rorschach

:lol ^
SyNapSe said:
People always say stuff like this
I was being facetious. Read page 79 from #3918 on :p

I don't even have to bait my hook anymore in the OT...

I just looked this up because I had no idea what the numbers were like and ESPN shows him with 10 passes defensed last year. It always felt to me like Allen was good at this, so I just checked some other DE's. I tried Osi + Strahan and they had a combined 2 between them last year. Dwight Freeney had 10 in his whole career. Peppers actually looks like he excels at it also.. had 6 last year. It's not Fumbles or INT's but it forces the other team into 2nd and 3rd and longs. Course we have CB's using their walker to hobble down the sidelines on 3rd so we have to make this trade to get some youth. We're unfortunately going to be bad for a long time I think :(
That's because of how they played him at KC. He's more of a hybrid than a straight up DE. He'll drop back often just like Peppers. The guy did play with an awful lot of heart, though. One of the very few guys that gave a fuck last year at KC and of course he's cut. :D I <3 Herm.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I love Jared Allen and will miss him. Many Dallas fans probably missed Hershel Walker too. Hey can anybody remember where he ended up? It's slipping my mind at the moment.

while i haven't watched enough bengals OR chiefs games to know for certain, i can guarantee you right now that i would rather have justin smith + 3 draft picks over jared allen and 3 less picks

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
FrenchMovieTheme said:
while i haven't watched enough bengals OR chiefs games to know for certain, i can guarantee you right now that i would rather have justin smith + 3 draft picks over jared allen and 3 less picks

did i miss something or did KC get Justin Smith? 'cause that would be kinda big.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
KC's Updated Draft Position:
Round - Overall Pick

1st - 5th
1st - 17th

2nd - 35th

3rd - 66th
3rd - 73rd
3rd - 82nd

4th - 105th

5th - 136th
5th - 140th

6th - 170th
6th - 182nd

7th - 210th
7th - 239th
================

13 overall picks. Two top-20 picks, a high 2nd rounder (close to a 3rd first rounder), and 3 first-half of the 3rd round picks. We have 6 picks on the first day, and 7 on the next. We have two picks except for the 2nd and 4th, and we have 3 in the 3rd!

I'm disappointed in losing Jared, but three picks makes me happy. I don't believe we'll be able to replace him in the short term, though. Currently $20 million under the cap, we've been planning for this for a long time.

One thing I'd like to point out is that KC, between Jared Allen (potential HoF?), Trent Green (old), Ryan Sims (bust), Michael Bennet (backup) and Lawrence Tynes (superbowl kicker)...we have almost doubled our draft picks for 2008. The cost is *almost* equal for what we've given away, not counting Allen's potential for Canton. All of these moves have been made since Herm took over.

I'm starting to get a little hyped.

Gigglepoo

FrenchMovieTheme said:

I couldn't really root for a guy like Jared Allen after calling for Mother Killin' Leonard Little to be thrown in jail, could I?

I won't have to sacrifice my soul rooting for Justin Smith at least.

Innotech

Banned
Im still trying to figure out what the Saints plan to do.
All the rumors of trading up for a shot at Dorsey or DRC, and Shockey talking with the Saints, none of which I think is going to happen knowing this team. but its interesting nonetheless.
Saints need a pass rush, BAD.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Okay... No Mike Rucker. Rumors of Shaun Alexander again. And some scrub receivers from the NFC West on the roster now. This season is looking to BLOW.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
siamesedreamer said:
And if Falcons trade down and pass him up, then I'm done with them as a team.
Forever...

That dude is smart and white and ready to mix it up. Sorry, I'm not unabashed to declaring my love to a smart white guy QBing the Falcons. I think I get a mulligan. I fucking loved Vick. Bought two of his jerseys. Doubt me? I'll pm you a pic. So, fuck y'all.

I need Matt Ryan...smart white dude from a good family. His likelihood of going to prison in the midst of a +$100M contract is extremely minimal.

Beyond that, he won't embarass my town. He can speak English to the suburbs. I think I can trust him. Blank would be stoopit to pass him up.
Dear asshole,

There are so many things wrong about your post that I could stay up all night deconstructing the ignorance.

But it's late and I need to sleep. Maybe tomorrow.

Toodles,

bish

Slo

Artie said:
Too bad you still have one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

Though with Lord Favre gone that may help you in our games together. Fuck, you are becoming relevant! Noooo

Pressure from the front four goes a long way towards helping the secondary. ;)

SonnyBoy

Ninja Scooter said:

Amen.

Letting Rece Caldwell go was retarded. Having him would have made it easier for us to take a chance on Anthony Mix stepping up and being the bigger target we need.

Getting Chad won't give us offensive line depth. A saftey to help soften the loss of Sean Taylor. A DB incase Rogers takes longer than expected to recover. A DE to help our poor passrush. A kicker that doesn't fail in the playoffs.

REDSKINS, EAGLES ASK ABOUT BOLDIN
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2008, 10:43 a.m.
Chad Johnson isn’t the only disgruntled veteran wide receiver who has been the subject of trade inquiries from the Washington Redskins.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that the Cardinals have declined a trade offer from the Redskins for wide receiver Anquan Boldin. Per ESPN, the Philadelphia Eagles also have asked whether Boldin is available and have offered cornerback Lito Sheppard as part of a trade.

The Redskins’ interest shows that they’re serious about adding a receiver who can improve their passing game now, rather than drafting a receiver they hope can improve their passing game in the future. Yesterday Bengals coach Marvin Lewis first denied, then admitted, that the Redskins had made an offer for Johnson.

As for Boldin, who is reportedly unhappy that teammate Larry Fitzgerald makes significantly more money than he does, the Cardinals say he’s not going anywhere.

“We’re not interested in trading Anquan,” Cardinals General Manager Rod Graves told the Arizona Republic. “That’s the short of it.”

Graves said he hopes to work out a long-term contract extension to keep Boldin in Arizona, but he did acknowledge that “a few teams have called to inquire” about making a trade.

Make it happen, please god make it happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom